Flanagan Undergoing Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one condone’s what he did etc etc
It does seem this was an act of drink fuelled madness which he’ll live with and have to deal with for the rest of his life. However it seems it has been an isolated incident for which he he has been judged and punished by the courts.
He has obviously expressed remorse and has been forgiven by his girlfriend. If he has rehabilitated and there has been no further incidents, surely the Christian/moral thing to do is give him a second chance.
And yes, if he’d done it to my daughter I too would have cut his balls off.

Thats what happens when you sign a women beater, unsuprisingly you now blame the fans.

You are on another planet mate.

I’m glad theyre reporting a lot of fans are against it. Makes us seem semi-normal.

No, I blame fans like you for going OTT with silly soundbites to fit your agenda here. So obvious. You want some more fishing line because you have cast some amount these past 24 hours. :)

Rangers to complete Flanagan deal after successful medical

The right back will be former team-mate Steven Gerrard's seventh signing at Ibrox.

592068-jon-flanagan.jpg

Flanagan: Set to sign for Rangers. PA
Rangers are set to complete the signing of Jon Flanagan after the former Liverpool defender passed a rigorous medical.

The right back will be former Anfield team-mate Steven Gerrard's seventh signing at Ibrox.

Flanagan, who has also been capped by England, spent the second half of last season on loan at Championship outfit Bolton Wanderers after seven years at the Champions League finalists.

Handed his debut by Celtic and Scotland legend Kenny Dalglish in a victory over Man City in 2011, Flanagan also played under current hoops boss Brendan Rodgers.

The 25-year-old is poised to join the Rangers first team squad at their training camp in Malaga.

The medical was rigorous due to him having to have a recent knee operation.

In January Flanagan was sentenced to a 12-month community order after admitting to attacking his girlfriend three days before Christmas last year.

However Rangers assistant manager Gary McAllister believes he is due a second chance after showing a "great deal of remorse".

He said: "He shown a great deal of remorse, which he should of, and he's been punished.

"He's taken the punishment and he wants to get on with rebuilding not just his life in football but his personal life.

"He's a strong character and the big thing is that he's played for a club where the expectation is so high.

"That's not dissimilar to Rangers, where that expectation is still there.

"You are under the microscope every minute of every game, so we're confident he can cope with that.

"He's versatile across the back line, he'll bring a lot."
Who wrote this...
" he showed a lot of remorse , which he should of"
Plus shoe horn in celtic and the hoops....
Fucking amateur

He has signed, he won’t be unsigned.

What is it folk are wanting a crowd with pitchforks outside Ibrox?

Yes, some do, unfortunately. They thrive off negativity and either pretending to be a fan of the club while sowing discontent amongst fans, or truly have such a horrid life they project their negativity onto an online football forum to let people feel how they suffer daily in their own head.

Some also have a fishing line out with bait :p

This thread had jumped about 12 pages from the last time I looked so I naturally assumed something had happened.

Nope. Just further debate about why we should or shouldn’t be signing him regardless of the fact it matters not a jot because if Gerrard wants him then we’ll sign him.

Simple fact is, the guy was convicted for it and has served his punishment. He’s been working since then to keep his head down and get on with his life. If our manager decides he’s worthy of a place in the squad, then he’s worthy of a place in the squad. He’s not the first footballer to have done wrong and then get a move and he won’t be the last.

Arguing, that tells me more about your mindset than mine. I'm arguing with no one, do you mean sharing my opinion on the limited information I have. I am well aware of what he was convicted of, but I never thought the need to do background checks on targets because some of you dislike this guy.
This was held in a district court? In front of a Justice of The Peace? (JP) I am not for a minute trivialising thuggish behaviour, but the way some are going on about smashing, slamming and kicking feck out of, I would have thought he was sitting in front of the Crown Court.

Anyway, matters not, he will sign today no doubt, and we move onto the next target! ;)

How can you have an opinion on a subject you didn't bother to read up on before making posts.

Who mentioned giving up a season ticket this is the second time I have read this today, you must be getting me mixed up with someone else who said this or you slavering for no reason.
I never said I had evidence it's not me stating it's a one-off at all, cowardly crime like beating woman very rarely is.

Apologies.
I had mixed you up with another poster.

Looks like he is signing then. Let's just hope he keeps his head down, stays fit and can contribute well to the team.

I think that regardless of personal feelings towards this incident in a footballing sense that's what folk will do.

The whole 'Flano' patter though.......:rolleyes:

No, I blame fans like you for going OTT with silly soundbites to fit your agenda here. So obvious. You want some more fishing line because you have cast some amount these past 24 hours. :)
What is the agenda? I don’t want a woman beater who’s now going to taint our name by association. If he wants to hit his girlfriend and continue his career in football then crack on, but do it elsewhere. Not wanting a character like that playing for us is hardly having an agenda FFS.

If he smashes in the winner against the filth you’ll cheer as loudly as the rest, guaranteed!

Indeed but you can separate the joy of supporting your team without necessarily wanting to get behind this guy in particular.

Football is a sport completely lacking in morals and at some point we’ve all supported a player that we wouldn’t be friends with or if with another team we’d criticise. I still wish we’d looked elsewhere in this case. I think it’s an unnecessary signing.

From a purely footballing perspective it's a great deal. From a moral perspective it's a bit of an issue which I think is correctly being debated it's a huge mistake the guy has made in the past.

We have had other players in the past who have made mistakes in their lives. Fact is he has signed for us and should get our support from now on in. Morals within Scottish football don't exist so %^*& them all.

I said more than enough yesterday but my last post regarding this matter, but for all those taking the moral high ground...

Are you no longer going to support the club as surely the clubs morals are not as high as yours or what you thought, where does that sit on your moral compass? Or are you just going to mump your gums but carry on supporting?

Surely with such a heinous crime (as yous say) and unpardonable (in your eyes) then there must be some doubt where your loyalties lies?

Welcome aboard Jon!

On the pitch I believe this signing will prove another masterstroke by Steven Gerrard.

What he did was wrong but he has shown huge remorse and deserves a second chance.
I'm prepared to back our manager's judgement and give John Flanagan that chance.

John Flanagan the Rangers player has my full support...i hope he is a success.

I keep reading he’s shown huge remorse - what’s he done to show this remorse? I genuinely don’t know so not being a smart arse - did he do an interview, did he offer to work with charities for domestically abused woman? What did he do?

It goes without saying that Jon Flanagan the Rangers player won't be getting your support when he pulls on the jersey.
That's not a criticism mate because by the looks of things you're not alone.

You obviously can't be 100% behind our new manager as he saw fit to bring this player to our club ?

I want the the manager to be fantastic but I'm also allowed to say when I think he has made a mistake and I think its a mistake signing this character.

I said more than enough yesterday but my last post regarding this matter, but for all those taking the moral high ground...

Are you no longer going to support the club as surely the clubs morals are not as high as yours or what you thought, where does that sit on your moral compass? Or are you just going to mump your gums but carry on supporting?

Surely with such a heinous crime (as yous say) and unpardonable (in your eyes) then there must be some doubt where your loyalties lies?

Welcome aboard Jon!

On the pitch I believe this signing will prove another masterstroke by Steven Gerrard.

I agree with everything you say until your last wee paragraph.
Another Masterstroke? What was his first?

We need to stop hyperbole like this also. We haven’t played a game yet, we desperately want him to succeed no doubt about it.
However until we start playing games and winning regularly it is ridiculous to talk about master strokes.

As for Flannagan, those repeatedly moaning and groaning about it, what are you going to do about it?

Come on every thread greetin and moaning about us signing him or are you taking the moral stand and decided to stop going.
If the latter fine. If you aren’t doing that then we all know you don’t like this signing but do you repeatedly have to keep coming on the thread (Hemdani etc) to tell us over and over and over and over again.

Ah! yer a clairvoyant now. Have you got the numbers for this weeks lotto?
or I was posing a question? We can expect all the media to go straight to women's aid and the various women's groups to ask them what they think about our new signing and that's exactly what will happen.

If he smashes in the winner against the filth you’ll cheer as loudly as the rest, guaranteed!

That’s the crux of the matter.

I’d probably respect the opinions of those on here being so vocal about how horrible they think this is more if they done something about it - complain to the club or whatever - but the reality is they’ll go along and clap as normal.

So, really, do they think it’s that bad?

This is true both very poor defenders.

They are attacking full backs.

They have also had to play alongside some of the worst central defending witnessed at Ibrox, (Kiernan ,Wilson , Cardoso , Martin and McCrorie).

They will now have proper central defenders alongside them and 3 narrow central midfielders in front of them, giving them proper protection.

Giggs was wholesome in his praise of John when playing for Wales recently and both McAllister and Gerrard have both come out and spoken about what Tav brings to the team.

If either of them aren't doing it, then Flanagan will putting serious pressure on them.

Why not ask Jordan Jones or Scott Sinclair whether or not Tav can defend?

Neither of them get any joy out of him.

For avoidance of doubt, Ross McCrorie is an excellent DM, but made too many individual errors in CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything you say until your last wee paragraph.
Another Masterstroke? What was his first?

We need to stop hyperbole like this also. We haven’t played a game yet, we desperately want him to succeed no doubt about it.
However until we start playing games and winning regularly it is ridiculous to talk about master strokes.

As for Flannagan, those repeatedly moaning and groaning about it, what are you going to do about it?

Come on every thread greetin and moaning about us signing him or are you taking the moral stand and decided to stop going.
If the latter fine. If you aren’t doing that then we all know you don’t like this signing but do you repeatedly have to keep coming on the thread (Hemdani etc) to tell us over and over and over and over again.
Had a laugh at you telling people to stop greeting and moaning. I've been on here 15 years mate and all you've ever done is greet and moan :D

They are attacking full backs.

They have also had to olay alongside some of the worst central defending witnessed at Ibrox, (Kiernan ,Wilson , Cardoso , Martin and McCrorie).

They will now have proper central defenders alongside them and 3 narrow central midfielders in front of them, giving them proper protection.

Giggs was wholesome in his praise of John when playing for Wales recently and both McAllister and Gerrard have both come out and spoken about what Tav brings to the team.

If either of them aren't doing it, then Flanagan will putting serious pressure on them.

Why not ask Jordan Jones or Scott Sinclair whether or not Tav can defend?

Neither of them get any joy out of him.

For avoidance of doubt, Ross McCrorie is an excellent DM, but made too many individual errors in CD.
I don't rate Declan John at all I like Tav but defensively at times he worries me but mainly due to pushing up too far or trying to do too much, they are part of a defence that is just not good enough and an area we have already strengthened I expect to see more quality coming in at the back and if they cannot keep their place I would not be too concerned.

This thread continues to prove that being a Tim / Bear is a fluke of birth. 2 sides of the same coin.

McAllister said that Flanagan can not only play on both sides of a back-4, but also as a left-sided CH of a back three. That would be nice, not least at home against the likes of Killie or Motherwell, where we should flood the midfield with attack-minded folk and but ONE defensive midfielder: pick one from Rossiter, Jack, or McCrorie - who are all fit now.

I don't rate Declan John at all I like Tav but defensively at times he worries me but mainly due to pushing up too far or trying to do too much, they are part of a defence that is just not good enough and an area we have already strengthened I expect to see more quality coming in at the back and if they cannot keep their place I would not be too concerned.

Opinions mate, but I think you'll find the manager will be comfortable with his full back options now, unless somebody leaves obviously.

I support our club and as for this disgusting excuse for a human being we have signed for me doesn't represent the club I support. I'll still attend games but support him as a person im not sure about that

Are you a relation to the girl involved mate? You seem to be taking it a bit personal having read through some of your comments towards the boy.

I'm in no way condoning what he done as hitting a female in my opinion is disgusting. However I'm sure that the boy deserves a chance to rebuild his career and his image. Maybe not ideal that we are the club testing the water but it is what it is. The gaffer thinks the player can improve our squad and he must also believe he has put his past behind him. So I guess we have no choice but to support what the gaffer is doing and hope that there is no extra baggage with the boy while he is wearing the Rangers badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back