Match Thread Aberdeen v Rangers - 16:30 Sunday - BT Sports

Hmmmm.

I'm more than slightly uncomfortable with Sadiq starting.

But in Steven Gerrard we trust.

The way I see it is that Sadiq has got the chance to play his part in the first trophy of the Gerrard era, his pace could be that bit extra that we need against a team that play that diddy centre back Considine as a fullback.

People need to calm down ffs, would any of the sheep strikers score 5 in 12 games in the Dutch top league?

Sadiq will be fine and his pace will cause them problems I'm sure.

People need to calm down ffs, would any of the sheep strikers score 5 in 12 games in the Dutch top league?

Sadiq will be fine and his pace will cause them problems I'm sure.
I think it’s more a case that he was deemed not even good enough to make the bench versus Ayr United just a few weeks ago.

Well Gerrard trusts his ability so thats good enough for me.

My worry is in the short time hes been on the field he has given loads of niggly fouls.
Hope he doesn't charge about recklessly and give Beaton an excuse to send him off.

What i will say is hampden is a big pitch and umar is arguably the quickest in the league when he opens his legs up the pitch could suit him

The guy’s played and scored for Nigeria, in Serie A and in the Eredivise.

Folk talking about him like he’s some boy we’ve found on the street because he’s not been absolutely amazing in the short time he’s had for us, calm down.

Gerrard was bold enough to say in public that he’s not playing until he does more - quite clearly that tells me he’s stepped it up in training, he deserves a shot if that’s the case.

Trying to ridicule one of our own players is absolutely bogging behaviour.

Last edited:
Worrall's debut in Spain was more of a gamble than Sadiq today surely?

Sadiq!!!!
Wtf, he can't be ready to play, he's not played first team football in how long? Hasn't even been a regular on the bench let alone get off the bench when he has!

Big opportunity for Sadiq to impress today. It’s not the huge gamble some are saying it is. If he’s hopeless we can bring on Grezda or Middleton.

Has anyone heard anything about the Barisic injury status?

Tbh it's the most conservative gamble Gerrard could make. It's a recognised striker coming in for a recognised striker. Sure, it's a gamble but probably no more a gamble than putting Kent or Arfield through the middle.

It allows us to play our normal game elsewhere.

Take Kent or Candeias our of their normal positions? That’s a much bigger gamble for me.

I think it’s more a case that he was deemed not even good enough to make the bench versus Ayr United just a few weeks ago.
Since the gaffer called him out around then he has improved hugely in both performance in training and his determination to prove he can play a part while here seemingly. Gerrard confirmed himself last week that their had been a real improvement from him.

We did speak about this in the week. It was always a possibility.

At the risk of embarrassing myself I'm going to forecast right now he will do well for an hour before being subbed. Not brilliant, not awful - but he will do 'alright'. With a bit of luck that will include a goal.:oops:

Time will tell once the game is under way mate but I think he might surprise us all. He has the pedigree to play at this level, that's for sure.

Disappointed neither Middleton or Grezda starts, I was looking forward to seeing one or both of them. Still, it's a decent enough team, I think. Hope 'special Sadiq' turns up today.

Tbh it's the most conservative gamble Gerrard could make. It's a recognised striker coming in for a recognised striker. Sure, it's a gamble but probably no more a gamble than putting Kent or Arfield through the middle.

It's a recognised striker who hasn't been played at all, though. Kent or Arfield have far more to their game. While they wouldn't be ideal, I can't help feel they would be a more sensible selection.

But, hey, that's why I'm here. SG & co. have obviously seen Sadiq in training.

There's a lot of logic in this.

I’ve been thinking about that all week, they do so much work going both ways that taking one of Kent or Candeias away from their normal positions could really hurt us.

Replacing Morelos/Lafferty with an international striker with Serie A and Eredivise game time (even if he hasn’t sparkled with us so far) is the most sensible option.

Back