Match Thread Rapid Wien v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

We have a team of honest triers with a quality front man who pulls us out a hole more times than not. Still happy with the progress under Gerrard, but we lack serious quality in the middle of the park.

Gutted.
We should have won.
Its been a good journey.
Won't say too much more as I'm off to bed to nurse my wounds.
Stay safe tonight all the Bears in Vienna.
Rapid fans sounded amazing on TV to be honest.

Yes, that's generally how these things work.

We're miles better than last season. And next season, when Gerrard gets the chance to bring in more players having assessed all relative levels this season, he brings in players to strengthen the team.

Right now, we're looking at a fully rebuilt team assembled 5 months ago. We've missed out, by a much finer margin than the group table would suggest, in last 32 in the europa. Decent.

Now onto the league.
We are better than last season and I’m hoping Gerrard gets the time and backing to turn us around

SG raging. Straight up the tunnel. No waiting on players.
Think he did all he could with the players available.
Had we nicked it late this place would have been ecstatic. Fine margins.

Absolutely nobody who is a Rangers fan should be judging us a failure in Europe this season.
I agree but I think most are concerned this is part of a bigger mailase. Europe imho has been above average but masked a domestic run that has not see us improve in RESULTS since last year. That’s why many are pissed, me included. Particularly when we blow it by playing like a warburton team. We now have no distractions and no room for excuses. I’m afraid I’m not confident.

There is a serious lack of spine/bottle in the middle of the pitch for us. They can’t produce when need to grind out a result and create next to nothing. Everything comes from wing play and never through the middle. I hope the players know they’ve let down not only 12,000 who travelled but all of us at home as well.

This team is in desperate need to have someone leading from the centre of the pitch, what I’d do for a Ferguson in there right now.

We need a creative attacking midfielder and all our money needs to be spent on that, Alfy has no support. If we do then i predict he will score a lot more goals. At the moment he is our only attacking treat and he can not be everywhere at once and every team we play knows it.

Missing creativity and the management must know what's required. Hopefully a good run up until the 29th and see what happens then.

Totally understand the approach.

Stay in the game as long as possible, fill the midfield with ball winners, then after 70 then 80 bring on goal threat and push for it.

Sadly, we just lack quality middle to front to create and do the unexpected for that plan to work.

Sore one to take but being realistic we have punched way above our weight considering SG has had one transfer window to sort out the mess he inherited, we are still a work in progress but only an idiot would say we aren't heading in the right direction.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the FF Tav-aliban we really need a Rangers captain.
We just don't have the drive and seem ready to accept being outworked.
And we can't pass to save ourselves.

Sad at the time the damage was very much done the head to head against the Russians, gutted this evening no real quality again

Think we could've done more tonight personally. Team selection was a real head scratcher. Arfield didn't look comfortable out wide at all.

Some utter dung on here - we went toe-to-toe with every team in this group and in every game we played. A few breaks here and there and we would have qualified quite comfortably.

It wasn't to be sadly but we can see where the team needs strengthened - do that and this team can really start to go places ...

Too many idiots on the match thread to address them all.

Certainly we'd love to have continued this journey, but we've exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations. A huge building block moving forward. Gerrard will have learned. The players, who between them had almost zero European experience, will have learned. As disappointed as anyone, but we're miles ahead of where EVERYONE thought we would be at this point.

Thankful for an unexpected European run this season. WATP!!!!

There's so much disappointment going round for Rangers supporters. The kind of disappointment that comes when you feel we could and should have done better. Disappointing league results, out of Europe, and players unhappy behind the scenes. We really need something to lift us. 5 games to go in December. 15 points would do it.

Watching the replay of their goal it was a nice bit of play from the midfield and attack and a good finish...thats what we didnt have at all in the game.

Toothless.

Our inability to unlock defences and have any goal scoring threat is obvious to see.

We're an average side, who need 5/6 top quality signings to have any chance of winning the league.

Just don't look like scoring from open play anymore. Feel sorry for all that travelled over to see us have one shot at goal, in a game we had to win, in 90 mins.

I worry about the rest of the season as we have nothing at all creatively apart from Alfie.

Now we are out these guys should have a lot more to give in the league hopefully they stop being shot shy from outside the box and find that creatively we are all concerned about EoL!

Back