Serious Delusion amongst our support

The irony of your post is unquantifiable.

You're a bit creepy – I'm not going to find you in a tree outside my house with a pair of binoculars and your skants down, am I?
haha in trying to be clever you made a c unt of it, that first sentence is nonsensical even for you

Mate, I don’t disagree with your statement there but this team was put together quickly and on a tight budget and I’ve faith in our board to make funds available to get rid of the loans and get some serious players in that are capable of competing in all fronts as as we have seen half of this team haven’t got what it takes to play for rangers

It is a measure of where we are that our hopes are resting on a 33 yr. old midfielder who can't get a game in a team that's an EPL relegation candidate. Having said that, I very much hope we can get Steve Davis in during the winter break,

Solanke, too, would be a welcome addition if Gerrard could pull it off, The presence of both Solanke and Davis would at least guarantee a 2nd place finish in the league and leave us in with a shout of taking something from the remaining OF games.

I can’t take anyone seriously who is supposedly on an away trip yet posting on FF
It's as if that makes the point more important.If he thinks that was bad he should have been in Zurich or Gothenburg when we were a much better team and still got pumped.
We were poor tonight,it happens so get over it OP.If you can't take getting beaten then maybe you shouldn't go abroad.

I was there today in the ground and was disgusted at the performance turned in by the team with the backing we have.

I don’t care where we were a year ago etc, if Caixinha was sacked yesterday I’d expect the team to fight for one another and play with purpose, something totally lacking in this side today.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I gotta heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed![/QUO

Bet you wish you’d waited till you were sober before you posted this rubbish

For me we were horrifically unlucky not to qualify.

If that perfectly good Morelos goal stands in Russia we go through
If Candeis isn’t sent off for feck all against Villarreal and plays last night IMO we go through.

2 joke decisions that turned the campaign.

We have come a long way under Gerrard, it's a fact. Did anyone really expect us to make the group stages? My standards haven't dropped, I still want to win every match we play but people must be forgetting where this club has been the past few years.

Great post, this acceptance of mediocrity so long as it’s just a bit better than the utter crap from the season before is getting us nowhere.

Really not the Rangers attitude, we are winners. Wonder if it’s younger supporters scarred from the past few years and influenced by the Celtic cheerleading agenda of the mhedia?

Great post, this acceptance of mediocrity so long as it’s just a bit better than the utter crap from the season before is getting us nowhere.

Really not the Rangers attitude, we are winners. Wonder if it’s younger supporters scarred from the past few years and influenced by the Celtic cheerleading agenda of the mhedia?
Nobody is accepting mediocrity but the idea that there has been no progress in Europe since last Year is clearly patent nonsense.maye it’s just realizing just what we have been through since 2012 Christ it wasn’t that long ago we were struggling to beat alloa and indeed being knocked out of the challenge cup by alloa despite being two goals up.
Not one single rangers supporter seriously thought we we started this campaign in July 12th that we would be playing for a place in the last 32 in mid December.rangers teams a lot better than this one never got close to being in that position.

disagree OP, we were not abject in all positions we actually done pretty well but time and time again the lack of a quality no.10 or midfielder with an eye for a pass will kill us against teams who sit deep

maybe it cause we've been shite for 3 years that people don't expect us to make massive improvements within the first six months of a new managers taking over

The bottom line is that we simply do not have the money to buy the players that are good enough to take us to the next level. Until we get that, we are getting mediocre loan players.

I was there today in the ground and was disgusted at the performance turned in by the team with the backing we have.

I don’t care where we were a year ago etc, if Caixinha was sacked yesterday I’d expect the team to fight for one another and play with purpose, something totally lacking in this side today.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed!
You are a fckn disgrace. Call yourself a supporter??? Yes the performance was poor against poorer opposition, overall a sorry advert for football, but if you managed to get to Vienna to see a game i'm sure you were at Annan, Stenhousmuir and the like 4-5 years ago. Don't tell me that wasn't worse. Stop thinking we are Rangers of 10-15 years ago cos we were in Europe. And don't mention Caixinha in the same breath as this team... i do care where we were a year ago, and more importantly where we were 6 years ago! Attitudes like yours will only serve to see us return there!

"The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure"

A reply, all the way from Scotland: What a steaming pile of shîte.

When we lost in Manchester, we were collectively disappointed but proud of how far our team went. Did we undermine our traditions of success and celebrate failure then?

Our goal in Europe is to progress as far as we can, relative to where the quality of our team is standing, and if that ever results in winning it — Magic.

Success in Europe is matching or exceeding our expectations and given we're 6 months in with a new squad, new manager, injured players and pumped out by Progres last year I'd suggest that this campaign we've exceeded our expectations.

Be grateful that the team gave you the opportunity to travel to Vienna to support this season and be grateful you can afford it. Go get pished and have a good night rather than using up your 4g allowance having a cry-w@nk on here.

And sanity prevails! All of you that are raging with last night, or more generally, our European adventure this season are the delusional ones.

Even in our most successful days, our European form was rarely satisfactory. This season, without any shadow of doubt, our results have exceeded expectations.

If you don't want to "look how far we've come", then let me give a bit of perspective. And you don't even have to look as far back as administration and playing in the 4th tier. Under McCoist with the club in turmoil in the Championship, we were a "rudderless ship" at every level. With ths spivs ousted and under Warburton we definitely progressed but ultimitely he took us as far as he could and as it turned out was working his ticket anyway. The appointment of Caixinha was a massive error of judgement and sent us back almost to the McCoist levels.

Anyone that thinks a new manager can come in, change almost the entire squad and immediately compete with an established team who's wage bill is at least three times ours and compete at a high level in Europe within six months is deluded to the point where they should seek help!

We are now progressing. We, as fans, want the progress to be quicker but it doesn't always work like that. We have been, at times, erratic (not to mention poor!) this season but if you want to get raging at every bump in the road, then you are the ones who will ultimately be accepting of the "diddy club" status!

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed!

There is an element of our support who seem to be adopting the values of the Tartan army. Get used to constant failure, even praise it, because for some of them, it's all they know.
And this is not Europe I'm talking about, it's about our woeful domestic inconsistency.

“I was there in the ground” = look how staunch I am travelling to Vienna, and my overtly negative opinion is, therefore, more important.

We didn’t have the quality tonight to win. To describe that as a disgusting and abject performance is just utter guff. Why do people have so much trouble differentiating between lack of quality and lack of effort?

the guy travelled to the game so that makes him staunch? does that mean the over 10,000 supporters that went to the game are all "staunch" as well?

I agree with the sentiment of the guy's post, there has been plenty of threads on here saying exactly what the guy describes," but, are we so much better than last season",?

I keep reading its the gaffers first season and yes he is a rookie manager but, he is also Steven Gerrard a guy that as a player was a born winner so, why aren't we seeing that mentality he had as a player within our team?why are we struggling to deal with shit teams and perform the basics?
I'm not expecting miracles but I am expecting us not to make stupid stupid mistakes and its said mistakes that have cost us from going through last night as we paid the price for players mistakes in earlier games.

So big deal you was at the game as I was. Yes I’m gutted but to be honest the group stage was about our level. Had we progressed to the last 32 we might have met Arsenal,Chelsea,Milan etc and then we would have been seriously out of our depth. Now is the time to get our heads down, hopefully some better quality additions in January and make it an interesting Spring. Throwing the toys out of the pram certainly doesn’t help

Personally I don't think it's being delusional to stand by the management and team despite us having had a few dodgy results.

We have a fairly young group of players that don't have the street smarts or savvy to grind out results. That comes with experience and learning your craft on the pitch. Millers goal at the weekend was a prime example of this, a wee innocuous tug on Goldsons shoulder and Miller gets split second he needs to take the shot.

The manager is in similar situation, he is still learning what is effective on the pitch as opposed to the theory he has learned for his badges. The winter transfer window is a big one for the manager, it's an opportunity to show what he has learned about his squad in the first half of the season.

We are on our way just now, if this continues into next season then my opinion would be very different.

spot on mate

"The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure"

A reply, all the way from Scotland: What a steaming pile of shîte.

When we lost in Manchester, we were collectively disappointed but proud of how far our team went. Did we undermine our traditions of success and celebrate failure then?

Our goal in Europe is to progress as far as we can, relative to where the quality of our team is standing, and if that ever results in winning it — Magic.

Success in Europe is matching or exceeding our expectations and given we're 6 months in with a new squad, new manager, injured players and pumped out by Progres last year I'd suggest that this campaign we've exceeded our expectations.

Be grateful that the team gave you the opportunity to travel to Vienna to support this season and be grateful you can afford it. Go get pished and have a good night rather than using up your 4g allowance having a cry-w@nk on here.
Why go all that way and moan about the team,this team is in it's infancy and in that regard I'm immensely proud of the team for the journey,yes, we are short on quality and Stevie alluded to it and told us we'll get better in his post match, that's good enough for me. Surely that should be a positive that our weaknesses will be addressed. I'm as gutted at going out as the rest of us but the bigger picture is it's still early days for us.

No one will convince me Rapid or Spartak are anything other than bang average. For me Maribor were better than both. Spartak have some decent individual players but when we played them they were toiling as a team. What a chance we had and we fucked it.
You could say that your post tells us where we are as a team at this exact moment.

Why go all that way and moan about the team,this team is in it's infancy and in that regard I'm immensely proud of the team for the journey,yes, we are short on quality and Stevie alluded to it and told us we'll get better in his post match, that's good enough for me. Surely that should be a positive that our weaknesses will be addressed. I'm as gutted at going out as the rest of us but the bigger picture is it's still early days for us.
We have to get better mate it's as simple as that.

The delusional thing is fans thinking we have some sort of devine right to win every game by just turning up because we are rangers. Sometimes you just have to accept that we don't have the quality required right now, which is to be expected as we have only had 1 transfer window to try and build a new team

For me we were horrifically unlucky not to qualify.

If that perfectly good Morelos goal stands in Russia we go through
If Candeis isn’t sent off for feck all against Villarreal and plays last night IMO we go through.

2 joke decisions that turned the campaign.

Rapid Vienna's offside goal in Moscow was a farce as well.

I agree with the op.

We are going down a dangerous road with folk constantly applauding mediocre results at home and abroad.

And the solution is? I think the delusion is with those who don't recognise, time and cost as key barriers to getting where we need to be.

Did you really expect at the season start to be one a game away from the last 32 in the Europa?

The serious delusion lies elsewhere mate, sorry hope you enjoy the rest of your trip but the delusion will see us demand another manager gets the sack.

The solution is to throw £32m at new players, win the league and then go tits up again, so that we can go through 7 years of bread and water again.

Like you've written, we've already reset how many managers now since our last league win?

Sighs.

The thread underlines the differing viewpoints of our support. The problem i have is that there is almost a quickfire default to negate critical posts after a bad display or result, its like a race to post the calm down, its where we are comments even before the ones like the op.
Those happy with progress have to consider its now almost 2019 and many are fed up now with one step forward and 2 back . On the other hand i agree that its early days for SG.

You are delusional
how is he? How long before we stop saying," but we've come a long way"! Aren't we meant to be Rangers and not expect just a plucky effort!

We struggled against Dundee and If we drop anything against Hamilton then questions need to start being asked about this team and their mentality.

Couldn't agree more. Some of our fans are slowly morphing into the mentality of a perennial diddy club fan. If we had anything about us we would be in the last 32. Both Spartak and Rapid were incredibly average teams and Villarreal were there for the taking too. No-where near good enough.

We are an average team too. Sometimes its easier to forget that and have a rant.

The solution is to throw £32m at new players, win the league and then go tits up again, so that we can go through 7 years of bread and water again.

Like you've written, we've already reset how many managers now since our last league win?

Sighs.
maybe theres another way without going broke

Some folk are still living in the glory days of the 90s and trying to hold up vastly inferior players to impossible standards. We have very little in the way of funds to bring new players in but even if we had a bottomless money pit, going out and buying in a brand new team doesn't mean automatic success; it took Man City 4 years to win the league from being taken over. Expecting massive improvement from a limited squad that's had no luck with injuries in the space of 5 months is delusional.

Believing we are better than we actually are based on past glory is sheer folly.

We need to be realistic, that doesn't stop us demanding high standards and aspirations.

how is he? How long before we stop saying," but we've come a long way"! Aren't we meant to be Rangers and not expect just a plucky effort!

We struggled against Dundee and If we drop anything against Hamilton then questions need to start being asked about this team and their mentality.

'We've come a long way' won't and shouldn't stop, even when we do win the league, because it's the truth.

In the context of Europe, we're not going to win it, so have we to be depressed any time we don't win it? What point do we have to progress to in the tournament before we can be disappointed at going out, but happy with how far we got?

As a supporter, there are two ways to look at where we are; with perspective and without. Either outlook makes fück all difference to how to team performs on the pitch, so the 'undermining our traditions and attitude of success' line in the OP is pîsh.

Nobody is celebrating that we're out or that we got beat, but while being disappointed people are at least satisfied that we're making progress and en route to being back at the point of only being happy when we win. You're torturing yourself by pretending we should be winning everything when clearly we're not yet at that point in our recovery, the only thing you're undermining is yourself.

It's the same as the 'we must win the next 5 games' line that get's thrown out constantly. It's fine to say that and it meets the 'attitude of success' requirement, but it's unrealistic in our current situation. Why convince yourself that it's a guarantee only to be pissed off when it doesn't happen?

Some folk are still living in the glory days of the 90s and trying to hold up vastly inferior players to impossible standards. We have very little in the way of funds to bring new players in but even if we had a bottomless money pit, going out and buying in a brand new team doesn't mean automatic success; it took Man City 4 years to win the league from being taken over. Expecting massive improvement from a limited squad that's had no luck with injuries in the space of 5 months is delusional.

This all day long.

In the context of Europe, we're not going to win it, so have we to be depressed any time we don't win it? What point do we have to progress to in the tournament before we can be disappointed at going out, but happy with how far we got?

As a supporter, there are two ways to look at where we are; with perspective and without. Either outlook makes fück all difference to how to team performs on the pitch, so the 'undermining our traditions and attitude of success' line in the OP is pîsh.

Nobody is celebrating that we're out or that we got beat, but while being disappointed people are at least satisfied that we're making progress and en route to being back at the point of only being happy when we win. You're torturing yourself by pretending we should be winning everything when clearly we're not yet at that point in our recovery, the only thing you're undermining is yourself.

It's the same as the 'we must win the next 5 games' line that get's thrown out constantly. It's fine to say that and it meets the 'attitude of success' requirement, but it's unrealistic in our current situation. Why convince yourself that it's a guarantee only to be pissed off when it doesn't happen?
'We've come a long way' won't and shouldn't stop, even when we do win the league, because it's the truth.
this needs to be taken in context something the poster fails to do, whats the basis for this statement, at what point in time, assuming thats the point, do we make a comparison, its all very subjective and as usual a bit of a rambling post, great sentiments but could have been written by my mum

This "look how far we've come" line drives me nuts to.

In my opinion, the delusional ones amongst us are those who reckon the manager, any manager we’re likely to entice, could turn us around, from where we were, to where they expect us to be.
Not want us to be because, to a man, we all want the same thing, expect us to be, now, today,

rapid and moscow are two of the worst "big" teams we have ever faced in europe

to lose both those away games was criminal. Lets be honest, they were 2 diabolical teams we were facing

it was in our own hands last night, and we put in the most powderpuff, weak and pathetic performance in a long time (well since last week to be honest)

im more concerned with the attitude of "dont you remember where we were 6 years ago, we have come along way..blah blah"

this is the here and now, and the results and performances the last few weeks have been shambolic.

A decent manager (Gerrard)will take us exactly to where we are right now ,if we want to challenge then money has to be spent ,end of .

We can’t keep going with bang average players and hope against hope that somehow someday we will improve ,some of the players we have aren’t good enough to offer what the gaffer wants ,they can run through brick walls for him but at some point talent and ability has to come into play .

this needs to be taken in context something the poster fails to do, whats the basis for this statement, at what point in time, assuming thats the point, do we make a comparison, its all very subjective and as usual a bit of a rambling post, great sentiments but could have been written by my mum

Mate, although you're a bit weird I'm happy to discuss this stuff but you'll need to put a bit more effort into your posts because they're as clear as mud.

' at what point in time, assuming thats the point, do we make a comparison' – wit?

Can you rewrite it and I'll try and answer your questions?

You can't go from the Progres debacle to winning the Europa League. There's a process that the team needs to go through in between that involves improvement.

It's a boot in the balls to go out but there needs to be perspective. 14 games and only 2 defeats is an incredible effort and the 2 games we lost, we could easily have got something from them as well.

We have around 2/3 of a decent team. It's just about adding that quality in the middle of the park and the final 3rd now to take the team to the next level. That won't be easy or cheap but we need to find a way to do it.

Forrest, Sinclair, McGregor, Rogic etc ie their attacking mids/wingers are miles ahead of what we have and are the main difference between the two sides. We need to find players of similar quality to lift our team to the next level.

Back