Mcinnes sees his future at Aberdeen

Yes - my honest opinion is that Aberdeen have been nothing more than average - and during a time when we have been a basket case of a club on and off the field.

He's done nothing special in one of the worst leagues in Europe. His European 'exploits' have also shown that.

I disagree. Yes they were aided by us being in the state we were/are but they are a team who are a LOT better than they were when we left the league.

I'd put some money on that there were discussions between Derek and Rangers. Issue was that he wanted to have his own people with him and Rangers weren't agreeing to that.

Effectively, our director of football is controlling all the football affairs and we're looking for a first team coach rather than a manager.

Or...We are talking to much less mediocre candidates and DM was never on our radar.

I think you are in for a massive shock if it’s not DM.
Anyone else we can get will be far worse.
I refer you to my previous response mate - 'not necessarily' ;):D

DM is not the be all and end all - far from it. Let's just wait and see.

The wait is driving us up the wall - but when the new guy is revealed we can either go f.ucking mental or wank oursleves into oblivion !!

I disagree. Yes they were aided by us being in the state we were/are but they are a team who are a LOT better than they were when we left the league.
Look at the absolute state of the league though mate.

His 'achievement' is really nothing to write home about.

I fail to get caught up in this hysteria about an average Aberdeen manager in all honesty.

I’m not worried about tonight. We should be comfortable.
The two against the sheep are a different kettle of fish. Especially with an under 20 coach in charge.

Totally agree (well, maybe I'm a wee bit worried...) but I suspect the board, if they had any thought to appoint Murty until the end of the season, would possibly look to do it on the back of a good result/win. They may see tonight as an opportunity if we get the right scoreline...

I think it would be a poor and panicked move, but if they're thinking about it they won't fancy doing it on the back of a defeat.

I suppose it could go either way because if we lost to the sheep, they would be mad to do then, but if we were to pump Aberdeen with Murty in charge, they might jump on that.

Dunno, just throwing things out there.

The whole thing's a clusterfck and I still think the board have handled the management of fans' expectations horrifically for the umpteenth time. The support are only going to get tetchier and more frustrated as this drags on and with that the likelihood of disappointment at any name will increase.

McInnes as mediocre as he may be, would be a lot less appealing, if it wasn't for the fact he would still be a huge upgrade on our last manager and his humiliating tenure.

As I see it there are a load of definitely not managers (McLeish, Murty!, Coleman et al). Then McInnes who would be accepted by most of the support I think. And then I don't see who is above that which we could go for and hope to get (Allardyce? Koeman?). I can't see the options on the table. The lack of options also makes McInnes look increasingly like an appointment the board could go for.

On McInnes - I'll ask again:

If he was being lined with the job at the Piggery would we

a) be gutted and quite concerned
b) be jumping for joy, pissing oursevles

Surely no-one would be gutted if he was about to be the next mentally challengeds boss ??!! That says it all.

I’d rather Eck than McInness any day of the week. Eck won trophies with us and at Birmingham and we were downsizing at the time he was with us. McInness bottled it every time he got anywhere near Celtic. Even the sheep fans say that about him.

Losing to a team worth about five times yours can't be considered "bottling it". Celtic had better players, the type who had been there and won it already, with a far stronger mentality than those at Aberdeen.
Even the bookies still had Celtic at 1/10 and Aberdeen at 6-1 after the 2-1 victory at Pittodrie. The league panned out logically that year

To surmise Eck's time here as "he won trophies with us" doesn't even tell half the story

Surely no-one would be gutted if he was about to be the next mentally challengeds boss ??!! That says it all.

It’s a fucking stupid question, they employed the fanny Delia and still won the league.

I'd suggest you are being more than a tad obtuse. He's be a big downgrade on what the mentally challengeds have so we'd be happy if he was replacing Rodgers. He'd be a big upgrade on what we have suffered so the context is somewhat different.

I think the real issue is who the board are actually going to be able to get who is better for the role mate.

Don't think anyone reckons DM is the next Guardiola, just that he may be the best current fit out of the realistic names that have been bandied around.

He’s been a very good Aberdeen manager and IMO he’d be successful at Rangers. He’s certainly a massive upgrade on anyone we’ve had since Walter.

I think the real issue is who the board are actually going to be able to get who is better for the role mate.

Don't think anyone reckons DM is the next Guardiola, just that he may be the best current fit out of the realistic names that have been bandied around.
Oh, I agree mate. What will be will be. The wait is just extending our patience and our minds are all over the place.

It's just the mindset from some that DM is the ONLY answer to all our problems. I just don't see it like that. If we want mediocity and lack of ambition then he'd be fine for for that.

Fundamentally though, our finances are the biggest problem. We wouldn't be in this position if we had strong finances. That's what concerns me most - because the future is bleak if we can only continue on this path of struggling away financially.

It’s a bad day when the Aberdeen manager doesn’t want the Rangers job. I think many have to get there heads out of the sand, if McInnes doesn’t want it, then there is no chance that Sam Allardyce or the like is going to want it either. I can see it being Murty or a has been like Eck or McLaren. Neither Murty or a has been is an acceptable outcome.

He’s been a very good Aberdeen manager and IMO he’d be successful at Rangers. He’s certainly a massive upgrade on anyone we’ve had since Walter.
I think he's done no more than an 'ok' job at Aberdeen, in what is a very, very poor league and with Rangers being not in it most of his tenure and all over the place while we have been back.

I don't look at his achievements and go "wow". Far from it.

Over a month down the line and this is where we are , really?

Yes, it’s like Groundhog Day around here. Don’t blame people for discussing what little information we have to go on but it isn’t half tedious.

Somebody wake me up when we actually get the finger out and make a decision.

Yeah - a league which we weren't in. And a very shite league.

And a league where we can’t get past Aberdeen so how in the name of the wee man would we have got near them even with Delia in charge.

Cutting off the nose to spite your face here.

There is a massive flaw in the point you are making.
If Rodgers is replaced by an inferior manager we would be happy. You clearly consider him inferior to Rodgers.
If we replace Pedro with McInnes it is clearly an upgrade. We should be happy.
Rodgers replacement unless he is better than Rodgers would be good for us.
Remember we rejoiced at Deila's appointment ? He won the league every season he was there.

And a league where we can’t get past Aberdeen so how in the name of the wee man would we have got near them even with Delia in charge.

Cutting off the nose to spite your face here.
We can count us out - we've been all over the place and have been easy for Aberdeen to move ahead of us. That doesn't mean to say the sheep are any good.

There is a massive flaw in the point you are making.
If Rodgers is replaced by an inferior manager we would be happy. You clearly consider him inferior to Rodgers.
If we replace Pedro with McInnes it is clearly an upgrade. We should be happy.
Rodgers replacement unless he is better than Rodgers would be good for us.
Remember we rejoiced at Deila's appointment ? He won the league every season he was there.
Even if McInnes was appointed before or after Delia I'd still be happy that he was going there.

I don't rate him, some of you do. It's really as simple as that and commonplace on a fans forum.

If it ends up being DM I will not be happy - but will back him.

I think he's done no more than an 'ok' job at Aberdeen, in what is a very, very poor league and with Rangers being not in it most of his tenure and all over the place while we have been back.

I don't look at his achievements and go "wow". Far from it.

I think you’re being a bit unfair there mate.

- He’s took a team with a £2k wage cap and dreadful training facilities and broken the points record for a club outside of the Old Firm TWICE in four seasons.
- Their win rate has been circa 70% every season he’s been there.
- He’s led them to four cup finals and won them their first trophy since the 90’s.
- They just lost most of their best players in the summer and most of us predicted they’d impode. He’s rebuilt them with next to no money and they are still the second best team in the country.

This is a club who were fighting relegation and lucky to finish mid-table under Muttley and Paw Broon. With better facilities and far greater resources at Rangers I’m confident he would bring much needed stability and lay the foundations that we need to have a go at winning the league.

He’s not the best manager in the game but McInnes would at the very least secure second and considerably narrow the gap IMO.

Look at the absolute state of the league though mate.

His 'achievement' is really nothing to write home about.

I fail to get caught up in this hysteria about an average Aberdeen manager in all honesty.

I understand your point, but you must see that there has been a massive improvement within that team, and especially with also selling their best players.

Take your McInnes tinted glasses if he's a decent Aberdeen manager that's about it.

Wright has done a much better job at StJohnstone.

A massive failure in England.

Billy Davies is a far better coach and Manager than McInnes and no one wants him although with some of the names mentioned I would rather have Davies.

Take your McInnes tinted glasses if he's a decent Aberdeen manager that's about it.

Billy Davies is a far better coach and Manager than McInnes and no one wants him although with some of the names mentioned I would rather have Davies.

The same Billy Davies who hasn’t had a job in almost 4 years?

Mate I'm certainly not wearing McInnes tinted glasses. I've said many times on here that I wouldn't necessarily jump for joy if he were announced as our manager but IMO he's the obvious choice for the job and the best of the realistic names mentioned.

I'd also rather Davies than some of the other names BTW, however the guy is an absolute fruitcake and there's no way he will get the job.

There's also the chance that the Rangers job simply isn't very attractive any more, even for ex-players like McInnes.

That makes no sense whatsoever, only a deluded fool would turn down Rangers to stay at Aberdeen, every single aspect of the job would be better, money, facilities, ambition levels, training ground, stadium etc.

It's a complete no brainer, McInnes will never win the league with Aberdeen, no manager will in our lifetime, if he was offered the Rangers job he would (in time) be competing for the title and the chance to play in the Champions League.

I was told this morning pretty much what I said. There will be more detail to it no doubt but that was the long and short of it.

I suppose that's maybe similar to the way Southampton run things?
If what you posted is correct (not saying it's not) I can't see where we will find a manager that will accept this.

The board appear to be puuting of their faith in Mark Allan, which for me is worrying.

Away from the rumours and innuendo the main facts seem to be that we've been manager-less for 4 weeks and haven't approached Aberdeen about McInnes in any way. I highly doubt the Chairman would be giving interviews on the subject with so much confidence if we had.

So either the Board have got clear candidates in mind and are pursuing these or they've spent the past few weeks in complete disagreement over which route to take. If it's the latter and they eventually decide to go for McInnes after all this time there will be serious questions to be answered.

If what you posted is correct (not saying it's not) I can't see where we will find a manager that will accept this.

The board appear to be puuting of their faith in Mark Allan, which for me is worrying.

The majority of Europe are head coaches. Only in the UK do you still see the all powerful manager with his fingers in all the pies.

If Derek McInnes somehow got a job in Germany, he wouldn't be calling the shots on transfers or player personnel. He'd be picking the team and choosing the tactics. That's it

I heard interesting shit on him today!

The board were never going for him and there was a split on it but due to past issues with him, he was never an option.

So he's been waiting for a call for a few weeks and didn't get one. I'll keep my powder dry on whether that is a good thing until I see who we get

I think you’re being a bit unfair there mate.

- He’s took a team with a £2k wage cap and dreadful training facilities and broken the points record for a club outside of the Old Firm TWICE in four seasons.
- Their win rate has been circa 70% every season he’s been there.
- He’s led them to four cup finals and won them their first trophy since the 90’s.
- They just lost most of their best players in the summer and most of us predicted they’d impode. He’s rebuilt them with next to no money and they are still the second best team in the country.

This is a club who were fighting relegation and lucky to finish mid-table under Muttley and Paw Broon. With better facilities and far greater resources at Rangers I’m confident he would bring much needed stability and lay the foundations that we need to have a go at winning the league.

He’s not the best manager in the game but McInnes would at the very least secure second and considerably narrow the gap IMO.
Everything you say does put a positive spin on it make makes it sound pretty good - I'll give you that. But when you scratch beneath the surface you see that Rangers, Hivs, Hearts have not been in the league or have been in 'transition'. His forays into Europee also tell a story.

That makes no sense whatsoever, only a deluded fool would turn down Rangers to stay at Aberdeen, every single aspect of the job would be better, money, facilities, ambition levels, training ground, stadium etc.

It's a complete no brainer, McInnes will never win the league with Aberdeen, no manager will in our lifetime, if he was offered the Rangers job he would (in time) be competing for the title and the chance to play in the Champions League.

I don't know if you've noticed but Rangers are a complete basket case of a club who stumble from one disaster to the next.

We haven't got through a full season back in the top flight without ditching our manager. It isn't the job it once was, that's why we ended up with a manager plucked from the middle of the Qatari league last season.

The majority of Europe are head coaches. Only in the UK do you still see the all powerful manager with his fingers in all the pies.

If Derek McInnes somehow got a job in Germany, he wouldn't be calling the shots on transfers or player personnel. He'd be picking the team and choosing the tactics. That's it

That's my point.

After Pedro I thought we were after a manager that knew the Scottish/British game inside out?

If it is to be all in with a DOF calling the shots what British/Scottish manager will accept that ?

Looks like we will end up with a Pedro mark II

That's exactly what I said when I was told this morning. Who of any quality and current standing are we likely to get if thats the strategy?

Your theory
We'll never know what Pedro would or wouldn't have achieved. His team only played 10 league games. Anyway he is history now.

McInnes was never the answer. A bang average manager achieving bang average results. From the second his name was mentioned I made it clear I wanted him nowhere near our club. I am more ambitious than mediocrity.
nope , you just don't have a clue what your talking about but come on here 20 times a thread to talk about mcinnes and prove you know better when in reality you know hee haw . The fact your still defending the worst manager in our history and blaming everyone else shows that . Nil points

Unless something has changed, that I have missed, McInnes has made no categorical statement, either way, about leaving Aberdeen or joining Rangers. All McInnes has stated to date (much to the rage of the mhedia) is that 'there has been no contact from any club'. All the soundbites coming out of Pittodrie thereafter, have been uttered by Stewart Milne.
Mate havn,t seen the interview with him .but if he said he sees his future at aberdeen then i don,t see how you can possible say that he has made no categorically say he has made no statement one way or the other.

nope , you just don't have a clue what your talking about but come on here 20 times a thread to talk about mcinnes and prove you know better when in reality you know hee haw . The fact your still defending the worst manager in our history and blaming everyone else shows that . Nil points
errr - it's called responding to posts from other posters - quite a common thing on a messageboard/forum. Or do you just want a one-way debate/discussion ?? Deary me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's my point.

After Pedro I thought we were after a manager that knew the Scottish/British game inside out?

If it is to be all in with a DOF calling the shots what British/Scottish manager will accept that ?

Looks like we will end up with a Pedro mark II

Steve McClaren. Hence Allen's apparently interest in him.

Back