MOTM Poll Rangers v Slavia Praha - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport ONLY

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Based on the comments on Roofe's Instagram I'm going to be wild and say I imagine racial equality isn't very high in the Czech Republic.

I hope you don't me skipping in this. I am Czech, lived in Stirling for a couple of years and made an account here to see after the draw tp see what Rangers' fans think of Slavia.

I know Ondrej personally, he knows my Kenyan GF, he has been playing with African teammates for his whole pro career. Also, his English is too poor to make a racist remark.

What you might see as diving (even though I saw the worst diving from your Morelos) was the issue of continental players are not used to tough game practiced in Britain.

What I would like to ask is... there was a kung-fu kick against the Slavia goalkeeper (which made him out of out national team in the next week) and the biggest thing to talk is something somebody told to another one.

Anyway, see you in CHL 2021/22

Best wishes

Martin
Kung Fu kick? He went for the ball without malice and was correctly ordered off.

Diving by Morelos?

Really.

The better team won tonight but if that's what you need to do for the next level of European football then your welcome to it.

Cheating. And the ref bought it.

It's hard to have any feelings of warmth or respect towards this team and normally I would offer congratulations to those that beat us.

Not tonight though.

Disappointing but it was a great run. The league was the important one. We romped it. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Agree re midfield. They have surpassed expectations this year and last- we definitely need a wee bit of pace and composure to progress. I'd take Provod in a minute and Stanciu while we're at it.
Agree whole heartedly they have been superb.This competition has been great as well but we are a wee bit short but can’t be to critical.Yip Provod and Stanciu are very good players.

The MOTM votes pretty much confirm what we all saw tonight. Kamara & Patterson decent, Davis & Kent just about okay. Everyone else not at the races, and McGregor, Balogun and especially Arfield stunk the place out. Roofe was either unlucky or unbelievably stupid, maybe both.

In this tournament I think we achieved just about as much as this group of players are capable of.

I hope you don't me skipping in this. I am Czech, lived in Stirling for a couple of years and made an account here to see after the draw tp see what Rangers' fans think of Slavia.

I know Ondrej personally, he knows my Kenyan GF, he has been playing with African teammates for his whole pro career. Also, his English is too poor to make a racist remark.

What you might see as diving (even though I saw the worst diving from your Morelos) was the issue of continental players are not used to tough game practiced in Britain.

What I would like to ask is... there was a kung-fu kick against the Slavia goalkeeper (which made him out of out national team in the next week) and the biggest thing to talk is something somebody told to another one.

Best wishes

Martin
With all due respect my friend it may have been dangerous and stupid but Roofe was going for the ball, a straight red 100% but there was no intent.

I wasn’t there so I obviously don’t know what was said but look at the individual Rangers players who react the most to the incident, look at him covering his mouth as he says it, look at his teammates not defending him, Gerrard at the end of the game etc etc. I think everyone would take a good guess that it was a racist remark, maybe a universally known remark rather than something only understandable in English.

To suggest a potential racist incident during a game of football in 2021 shouldn’t be the main talking point is ridiculous.

Strangely sanguine after that; we were off form, they were extremely well organised, and if you're going to concede, let it be a wonder free-kick, rather than a defensive mishap. As has been said above, we're looking forward; Gerrard will know what needs done recruitment-wise; Already excited for next season in Europe.

The difference between the 2 teams in terms of skill wasn't much. A fully fit and first choice Rangers makes that a far closer game. The difference between the 2 teams was organisation.

Midfield in both games was poor. In the first leg we got back into things the longer the game went. Generally we didnt do particularly well when the numbers were mismatched. Tonight it was their 5 against our 3. Our midfield just isnt quick enough or dynamic enough to cope with that mismatch, particularly with little help from wide forwards tracking back. Patterson needed help in both legs and didnt really get it. I can't blame him for not closing down the Prague player crossing the ball for their first because he doesnt know if anybody is covering the space in behind him.

Balogun or Helander? Helander wasn't fit so it was an easy decision for Gerrard. The manager got it wrong by not taking Balogun off. He was on a booking, was lucky not to give up a (soft) penalty and looked like picking up a 2nd booking at some point. Simpson on and we don't lose another player. The Roofe tackle wasn't intentional but it was reckless and clearly a danger to the Slavia keeper. He shouldn't have been going for that ball with his boot. Head? Make the Slavia keeper catch him and it's Kolar who's going off. Or let Kolar get the first touch under pressure and try and play for the 2nd ball. It's poor decision making by Roofe more than anything else and he was correctly sent off for it.

The comments that got Kamara and Goldson so angry? Eastern Europeans do have history for making racist comments. It has no place in society, never mind football, and particularly when the non-white players were amongst Prague's better players over the 2 legs. If it was a racist comment then at 2-0 down the Rangers team should have either walked off or sat on the turf and refused to play on. We were already going out - whats the worst that would have happened?

Over the course of the 2 legs? It's a shame that the incident with Kamara will be the main talking point. Rangers were beaten by the better organised team over 2 legs. Not a huge skill gap but absolutely a difference in pace, drive and organisation. If nothing else it gives Gerrard a very clear indication of where the squad needs to improve - both the starting 11 and the sub options.
Excellent review. I totally agree.

Yes. I've seen them mate, but as someone has pointed out most of them will have voted because Roofe has blootered a Slavia player as a get it up you rather than him costing us the game.

I'd probably edit that mate, even though one or two may be filth.
Okay, seems a bit mad voting for him for that alone but freedom of choice etcB-D

Kamara and Zungu react straight away. Must have been a racist remark. Hutton said he clearly heard Kamara say it was a racist remark.
Yeah, the guys on BT clearly saying Zungu, who was right beside Kamara and overhead the remark, told the 4th official it was a racist remake and they could hear Kamara shouting "racist, racist!"

Kamara heard shouting’racist, racist’. Zungu was within earshot and goes mental as well. Saying it wasn’t racist is head in the sand. WTF is the actual point of taking the knee before the game. It’s an absolute disgrace. Look at Gerrard’s reaction there. The players should have made a real statement and left the pitch. Refused to play on.

Best wishes

Martin
Slavia are a team of diving pussies, quite possibly the most pathetic team I've seen us play.

Add to that they obviously condone racism.

All in all a fucking repulsive team, imo.

The frustrating thing is it could have been such a different game. Had we not given them that cheap goal and had roofe stayed on the pitch.

We didn't look too bad at 10 men either until Balogun killed out last chance. 3 big mistakes.

They were a good well drilled team, but we let ourselves down tonight. Slavia get anyone but Zagreb or Granada and their out.

I will be optimistic and think we are not out of this yet. I think UEFA will have to get involved you can still see how angry SG is.
Even if we actually wanted this to happen, chances are it won’t.
I’m struggling to see where the undeniable proof is going to come from.

So you didn't say he should accept his yellow card and back away from the ref?

Of course you're entitled to your opinion just like in entitled to tell you you've made a cùnt of your self with that opinion.
For someone who seems to hold a strong view on abuse, you don't have any qualms about abusing me.

And actually I didn't say he should accept his yellow card, I said he shouldn't risk turning it into a red.

He rightly did what he could to support his mate but but he needed to realise that he couldn't get any further at that point. It's up to the club now to take this further.

Best wishes

Martin
Aye you really coming in with the "he can't be racist as he had a black pal" argument ?

Back