€13m Lazio bid for Ianis Hagi according to Sport.ro

We will be selling 2 or 3 this summer in my opinion but we ‘should’ have ready made replacements in our squad with our recent transfer strategy.

Doesn’t always work out like that but if Morelos goes we have Itten, if Barisic goes we have Bassey, if Helander goes we have Simpson and if Hagi goes we have Wright.

I don’t know if any of the replacements mentioned above are ready to play 40+ games in a season or if they have the quality yet but there’s going to come a point when we need to maximise our profit on players and as Stewart Robertson stated this summer is when player trading starts.

If Itten or Bassey or Simpson aren’t ready for the starting XI then it would determine if the player in that position gets sold. We aren’t going to decimate our team without all this being planned out.

For the first time in a long time I trust we have the right people in the right places making these decisions. Only time will tell I suppose and it would take ridiculous money to sell a player that we don’t want to sell.

So one start againt Cove means Wright has the nod ahead of Hagi? Wow :rolleyes:
Think (if you can)need to look a bit closer than that, if you can a clue what you were talking about, he made immediate impact at the club but go right ahead and worship Hagi, matter of complete and utter indifference to me what you think laddie.

Of course Patterson’s value is much less than Hagi. Not sure how that is anyway relevant to this conversation though?
What conversation? The hypothetical scenarios going on in your head regarding by way of comparison(s). et al.

Madness to sell Hagi, there’s a select few who are good enough to go to a higher level, Hagi definitely one, money will talk at the end of the day. All you need to look at is the assist per minutes played stats to see how good he is. Many players create chances, he creates chances that lead to goals.
A select few?
Morelos
Kent
Kamara
Hagi
Patterson
Aribo

For starters.

And it is one of these who have the potential to go to a higher level, who can earn a decent transfer fee, that we have to start selling.

The odd thing isn’t selling a decent player for a decent fee this summer. It was not selling one last summer. I think last summer has confused some people. This is always the model we have been working towards. Like big clubs in Holland or Portugal. Our goal is to buy players cheap, develop them and sell for big fees. Reinvest some of that fee so that the new “cheap“ players are hopefully a level above the last ones we bought, developed and sold, so that we can replicate this model at a higher and higher level.

That we gambled and didn’t sell Morelos last year was the outlier.
We still need clubs to meet our valuation. But for the vast majority of the team, any bids over 8 figures we will definitely have to look at. That doesn’t mean sell. But we have to stop pretending that every member of the 25 man squad is worth a Scottish transfer record.

Next season is huge. Direct entry into the champions league. Winning the title is the priority and we either need our best players to stay or replace them with equivalent quality.

Much as I like Ianis if it was bumped up a bit and we had a decent sell-on then I would probably take it.
I don’t see where Ianis becomes a first pick. He doesn’t have the pace of eg Wright or the strength of Aribo or the calm of Kamara or the positioning of Jack.
More than doubling our investment in a year then reinvesting would be a good bit of business.

This Summers market will not be a good one for sellers. It will be good for buyers. If there is a way to hold onto our best players and even buy a couple we need to take that option/gamble. In 15 months time football finances and the world will be a different place.
If we "gamble" we might even have direct entry into the Champs Lge which would put us in an amazing position with our finances.
Champions Lge next season will keep the wolves from the door and then some
Agreed, it's been long stated by S.G and others that we are a selling club. IF he considers that's good value on anyone,will be what really matters.He was very keen to keep "Buff" and they did, it will be a question of who he considers crucial to progress.

One thing is becoming clear is that they have a really good scouting network ,brought in some real quality without bursting the bank by way of comparison, fairly confident that with one or two exception they'd find a replacement PDQ.

At some stage, I'm prepared for some quality leaving us, been watching them over forty years, ever been the way.

If ever the cliche "if the price is right" it's post Covid. Dread to think how many clubs will have gone to the wall lacking the crowds money. Even Rangers, one of the best supported Clubs in the world whatever the circumstances have some fiscal realities to endure.

Last edited:
Much as I like Ianis if it was bumped up a bit and we had a decent sell-on then I would probably take it.
I don’t see where Ianis becomes a first pick. He doesn’t have the pace of eg Wright or the strength of Aribo or the calm of Kamara or the positioning of Jack.
More than doubling our investment in a year then reinvesting would be a good bit of business.
Spot on.

I’m not sure he’d even want to leave and I think he’s at the right club to continue his development, but yet again we see fans placing wildly unrealistic price tags on our players’ heads.

We’re going to need to sell someone this summer for big money, even Dave King and the board have said so, so if a big enough bid comes in for Hagi, he could be the one.

I think he’s a talent. He’s contributed some important goals and assists in his year and a bit at the club, but if we’re being completely honest he does blow hot and cold, so if a club like Lazio really are set to triple our outlay on a player that’s not a guaranteed starter in the manner Alfie or Tav or Kent or Kamara are, we may need to seriously think about it.

Think (if you can)need to look a bit closer than that, if you can a clue what you were talking about, he made immediate impact at the club but go right ahead and worship Hagi, matter of complete and utter indifference to me what you think laddie.
Three abusive posts in a row, what are you going to be like when there is a serious thread on the go :eek: :D

A select few?
Morelos
Kent
Kamara
Hagi
Patterson
Aribo

For starters.

And it is one of these who have the potential to go to a higher level, who can earn a decent transfer fee, that we have to start selling.

The odd thing isn’t selling a decent player for a decent fee this summer. It was not selling one last summer. I think last summer has confused some people. This is always the model we have been working towards. Like big clubs in Holland or Portugal. Our goal is to buy players cheap, develop them and sell for big fees. Reinvest some of that fee so that the new “cheap“ players are hopefully a level above the last ones we bought, developed and sold, so that we can replicate this model at a higher and higher level.

That we gambled and didn’t sell Morelos last year was the outlier.
We still need clubs to meet our valuation. But for the vast majority of the team, any bids over 8 figures we will definitely have to look at. That doesn’t mean sell. But we have to stop pretending that every member of the 25 man squad is worth a Scottish transfer record.
Nailed it. Last summer was a gamble and it paid off. They did turn down offer(s) for Morales for instance, no idea what the details were Leeds for certain. S.G. wanted him to stay put and the gamble paid off, big time but as you quire clearly pointed out...there will come a time...reality.

It’s absolutely not a slight on Hagi, who is a good player. I just think having seen him now for 2 seasons that in my opinion a few of around €13 million represents good business.

Whereas Patterson is only now breaking through into the first team and is hugely rated as a hot prospect by anyone who has eyes. His value will go up and up.

Im not hugely convinced Hagi’s will. It might. But it’s just my opinion. The fact that at 22 and despite being a big money signing that our manager still rarely starts him in big games tells me he doesn’t see him as a 1st pick either.
You are not the only one who doubts Hagi will ever be top drawer, he's hardly a youngster though still young, some people get caught up in the gimmickry, he had an excellent introduction game albeit with the help of a huge deflection, since then, he's hardly set the heather on fire, certainly not come even close to Aribo(at his best) type performance(s) nor Kamara for consistency, would be very disappointed to lose them, Hagi, a journeyman performance here and there, wouldn't put me up nor down if he was sold tomorrow. 11-13 M..Hip hip hooray!

When did you hear this ?
no way are we selling 3 top players
s Gerrard will not agree to that
maybe one at a push
Just my opinion, I have no more info than you.

I hope not, we may have to sell 1/2 top players and perhaps 1/2 fringe players depending on what we are offered.

Our business model has to be sustainable moving forward. Our board have been outstanding with the backing and money made available to SG to bring home 55.

But we have to be realistic moving forward , we have to become a selling team, who can dominate domestic football and go as far as we can in Europe.

Just my opinion, I have no more info than you.

I hope not, we may have to sell 1/2 top players and perhaps 1/2 fringe players depending on what we are offered.

Our business model has to be sustainable moving forward. Our board have been outstanding with the backing and money made available to SG to bring home 55.

But we have to be realistic moving forward , we have to become a selling team, who can dominate domestic football and go as far as we can in Europe.
Agree.

And “selling club” need not carry those negative connotations. Seems to work ok for Ajax, Sporting Lisbon or Porto.

if we qualify for champions league just my opinion
It will up to s Gerrard and board as they make decisions
DK and JB have said two will probably leave regardless of CL money because becoming reliant on it for income is how we ended up where we ended up and that’s what Celtic done.

Agree.

And “selling club” need not carry those negative connotations. Seems to work ok for Ajax, Sporting Lisbon or Porto.
Absolutely, if set up and done correctly a “selling” club can do very well.

As much as I despise the beggars they did the first part well, the signing, developing and selling on young players. They then just totally fecked up by not properly reinvesting that cash, preferring instead to bask in the media fawning of them being a cash rich club.

Out club seems far more intent on giving the manager whatever we can to spend on players. If we can sustain this with one or two big ticket departures then I’m quite happy.

We will be selling 2 or 3 this summer in my opinion but we ‘should’ have ready made replacements in our squad with our recent transfer strategy.

Doesn’t always work out like that but if Morelos goes we have Itten, if Barisic goes we have Bassey, if Helander goes we have Simpson and if Hagi goes we have Wright.

I don’t know if any of the replacements mentioned above are ready to play 40+ games in a season or if they have the quality yet but there’s going to come a point when we need to maximise our profit on players and as Stewart Robertson stated this summer is when player trading starts.

If Itten or Bassey or Simpson aren’t ready for the starting XI then it would determine if the player in that position gets sold. We aren’t going to decimate our team without all this being planned out.

For the first time in a long time I trust we have the right people in the right places making these decisions. Only time will tell I suppose and it would take ridiculous money to sell a player that we don’t want to sell.
if Alfredo goes im sure we will sign another quality striker

Big fan of Hagi but every player has his price.

£11m is around £4m short IMO.

In a year's time it could be £10m short though.

DK and JB have said two will probably leave regardless of CL money because becoming reliant on it for income is how we ended up where we ended up and that’s what Celtic done.
fair enough but also mentioned director of football has mentioned last week to backroom staff in a interview about bringing in two more quality players

fair enough but also mentioned director of football has mentioned last week to backroom staff in a interview about bringing in two more quality players
Of course, but they won’t be hugely expensive in a global scale. Buy small/sell big is the model.

What people have to realise is if we want that final piece of the jigsaw - the paces right-sided attacker or the game-changing central attacking midfielder then we will need to sell one of our favourites.
It’s not our Jones’s or Barker’s that will bring the funds we need. It’s our favourites, the guys we love to watch. So of them who is the most expendable?
In my humble opinion it’s Ianis.

I could be wrong but I think Hagi's lack of pace means that offer is a very good one and I'd take it.

We are in a far better position now. We are champions and he has played his part.

Think we should be holding on to him but if we are selling we should be looking at around £15 million plus sell on fee.

mmm, you got a link to that mate? Don't believe that was said
I don’t I’m afraid, it was in an interview with RTV (I think) and they were asked about Rangers becoming sustainable due to their backing.

I’m sure plenty have seen the interview.

They’ve mentioned on numerous occasions that we need to sell players to become self sufficient with King actually saying “it’s essential”.

King has constantly spoken about us having to trade players to become self sufficient.

Last edited:
So heres my process.

The group stages alone are worth more than £30M minimum between the minimum payment, tv market pool and tickets. X2 so a minimum of £60M to start thats without factoring in win and draw money.

£7M for winning the league twice

Money from Europa league potentially if we drop in there after group stage cant value that unless it happens.

Money from 4 qualifying games. Win bonus, plus ticket sales, plus qualification bonus. Cant put a price on it because it depends on actual results, but id expect it to be roughly £6M

So im kinda in the £70M bracket without factoring in any progress in Europe after christmas and any good wins in the group which could rack up money. £100M was probably an exaggeration but £80M could easily be achievable. So i think my general point stands, even if i maybe over egged it. Bare in mind my original point was the riches and prestige are more likely to be in the investors interest than chucking players out the door.
I’m with you mate, when I read your post I thought “no way” but when I broke it down £100m ain’t far away.

I don’t I’m afraid, it was in an interview with RTV (I think) and they were asked about Rangers becoming sustainable due to their backing.

I’m sure plenty have seen the interview.

They’ve mentioned on numerous occasions that we need to sell players to become self sufficient with King actually saying “it’s essential”.

King has constantly spoken about us having to trade players to become self sufficient.
You are correct mate. In fact I have a recollection that whoever was being interviewed - it might have been John Bennett - said that they should really have sold Alfredo last year but decided to put faith in the management to deliver and so rejected the Lille offer, despite the impact it would have on finances. He went on to say that the model was to sell one or two players per season, reinvest, then do it all again the next year.

EDIT: Robertson at the AGM:

“We know that in time a key part of our business model means that we have to facilitate an increase in income by trading players. We have to really focus on that over the next 12 months.

“We know as a club we've made a lot of progress in a lot of areas but that area is one we're really focused on.

“We know for the business model of the club we need to start moving one or two players a year.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6411245/rangers-bennett-65m-Ibrox-side-force/

You are correct mate. In fact I have a recollection that whoever was being interviewed - it might have been John Bennett - said that they should really have sold Alfredo last year but decided to put faith in the management to deliver and so rejected the Lille offer, despite the impact it would have on finances. He went on to say that the model was to sell one or two players per season, reinvest, then do it all again the next year.

EDIT: Robertson at the AGM:

“We know that in time a key part of our business model means that we have to facilitate an increase in income by trading players. We have to really focus on that over the next 12 months.

“We know as a club we've made a lot of progress in a lot of areas but that area is one we're really focused on.

“We know for the business model of the club we need to start moving one or two players a year.”

I actually had mentioned Alfie in the post but edited it out because I thought I had made a Noel Hunt of it!

Cheers VB :))

I think the other part of my post I may have picked up wrong from somewhere, but the crux of it was obviously the trading aspect.

He started the last Old Firm, Slavia, Antwerp, Aberdeen...

Leads the league in assists, open play chances created, averages a goal or assist every other game, is only 22 and getting better.

No chance.
The player with the most potential in our squad. He is gonna be attracting bids 3 or 4 times that within 2 years.

h4N4htY.gif

We are definitely selling at least 2, maybe 3 players. Getting 13m Euros for Hagi would be great business, I'd want sell on clauses involved tho as he does have massive potential on top of the quality he's already displayed.

If we start getting £10m+ for players that aren't guaranteed starters then we are in a very good place indeed. Obviously the key is using a portion of that money to reinvest which sees us either remain at the standard we were or hopefully improve.

I of course won't be gutted if he stays as he's a great, intelligent player but we need to be practical that we will be letting one or two players go to keep us financially viable.

Still think Morelos is the favourite to be sold and if we get £20m then maybe the rest stay. Hagi still has some potential to come unlike Fil for example and much more difficult to replace. I think next season is big for Hagi and us.

Back