€13m Lazio bid for Ianis Hagi according to Sport.ro

Good post. I would say though, i'd be more worried about making him faster. Yes, develop his strength - but for the influence that should have on his speed, accleration, change of direction.
Fair point. I think that would all come with the added strength. I'm thinking about the change you saw in Cristiano Ronaldo, even Stevie G himself, as they got into their mid-20s. Not to compare them with Hagi as players, but building that extra bit of strength allowed them to impose themselves on games without losing mobility or pace. Hagi has impressed me with his willingness to get stuck in and battle, as you don't always expect that from a player like him, but he could get stronger. I put Aribo in the same category, for what it's worth.

I think this is one of the worst takes i've seen on here in a long time.

Whilst Alfie is perhaps the most likely to leave, given teams are always looking for proven goalscorers and value such a player most highly, you would have to say he is probably the hardest player to replace in the entire squad right now.

On a separate point entirely, it appears the FF collective feel every player in the team is worth £20mil plus and we shouldnt sell anyone for less than £20mil. Not quite sure where this has come from.

I've posted this before, but according to best estimates in the press only 2 players have left Scotland for more than £12.5mil:

Yes, we should try and maximise fees received. Winning an SPL title does not suddenly make everyone worth £20mil +.

Players will move on this summer. Some we will not be happy with. Possibly one player in the squad is worth £20mil+. Unless a desperate club makes a mad bid for a Kamara or someone. Or a player is a revelation at the Euros.

No, we dont need to sell everyone or anyone on the cheap.

A £11.25mil bid that breaks our transfer record and about quadruples what we paid for the player cannot realistically be described as "on the cheap". We might value him more than Lazio are reportedly offering (who knows if this story is paper bs anyway). But around the 4th highest ever transfer fee for Scottish football is not to be sniffed at.
Only my opinion. We have Simpson and Wright in already and Roofe covered Alfie well while he was out. Plus Phil doesn’t always start and Aribo has been injured and we’ve coped. So not sure what you think it’s such a terrible take on things to be honest.

Explain how its a necessity? It may be desirable, but unless you have sat in board meetings and know what the investors intentions are, then you have no clue.

Part of investing is taking risk and this season is worth close to £100M via, qualifying for the champions league this year and winning the league and qualifying for the champions league automatically. We would need to sell 6-8 players to achieve that kind of money.
Every club has to sell to survive, we will sell some players at the end of the season I have no doubt about it.

If the Italian press were correct Borna would already be at Roma, no way he's leaving after his 1st full season. The valuations of our players cannot go down at this point, this is not their peak value and not the correct time to sell unless it goes above and beyond.

Every club has to sell to survive, we will sell some players at the end of the season I have no doubt about it.

Well everyone said that last year and we never sold anyone basically. We even turned down £16M. The point being, while we understand the importance of player sales long term. We dont have to sell anyone. Therefore players will only leave if someone pays our value.

When i read this thread, it seems many just want to force players out the door to balance books. This inspite of the fact that all indications are we are on a solid financial footing with investors who are happy to foot the bill, to get us where they want us to be.

Theres a few on here that under value Hagi’s contribution to this team as he has a tendency to drift out games.

Hagi’s numbers are part of what we’ve been missing for years. Going back to guys like Candeias who just ran for 90 mins with no real end product but because he looked busy seemed to be a real hit with the fans whereas as Hagi drifts in and out games people seem to down play his worth to this side

Like the kid, and his never give up mentality has made some games this season turn on their head from what look like a drawn. He's got a vision for a pass that we really dont have a great deal of elsewhere. Lots of development to do as well (and bulking out).

Hope we can hold on to most of the squad this season with a view towards CL qualification.

That said, we've got probably the safest set of hands in the backroom staff to know when a player can go and that we are able to bring in a suitable replacement

I really want to keep hold of Hagi. He's a special talent, has that creativity and ability to unlock the door that is so important against stubborn defences in the SPFL and Europe.

However, I also know we have to sell a couple of key assets, it's the financial reality of being a sustainable club. But rather than choosing which of our assets we keep, it'll be a case of seeing which offers land for who and the biggest offers in terms of profitability will likely be the ones that get accepted. That could be Hagi as much as it could be Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Goldson, Tav, Borna, Helander etc. I reckon any two of those could go based simply on offers received.

Only my opinion. We have Simpson and Wright in already and Roofe covered Alfie well while he was out. Plus Phil doesn’t always start and Aribo has been injured and we’ve coped. So not sure what you think it’s such a terrible take on things to be honest.
I find replacing Helander or Aribo, whilst not exactly desirable, as possible.

I suggest it is ridiculous to state that Alfie is one of the easiest to replace as you suggested. Rather, I would say replacing a striker who scores at an excellent rate in Europe and ties up a whole back line by himself would be pretty fcuking difficult for us.

Some people must forget we have been losing 8 figures a season for the last few and covid has helped nothing, it's not that posters want to sell Hagi as much as it is wanting to see the club making profit and able to run itself, not having to rely on board members putting their own money every few months to keep it running. Hagi is a brilliant player but he's not a nailed on starter every week like a Goldson, Kent or Morelos. If you can get 15 million for him you absolutely take it and invest a fraction of that in his replacement like most modern football clubs do.

Some people must forget we have been losing 8 figures a season for the last few and covid has helped nothing, it's not that posters want to sell Hagi as much as it is wanting to see the club making profit and able to run itself, not having to rely on board members putting their own money every few months to keep it running. Hagi is a brilliant player but he's not a nailed on starter every week like a Goldson, Kent or Morelos. If you can get 15 million for him you absolutely take it and invest a fraction of that in his replacement like most modern football clubs do.

Correct, when everyone is fit Hagi more often than not ends up starting on the bench.

A bit lower than I’d like but he’s the first player I’d sell. Doesn’t offer enough in the league and Aribo is much more effective in the front 3 or floating role they both often get. Hagi has been fantastic in spells in Europe but domestically he hasn’t fitted in to the system well enough for me.

We spent ages begging for someone who could do what Hagi does, that splitting pass, that moments player

We absolutely should not be entertaining this price because players like Hagi are impossible to come by especially for £3m

We have Champions League to consider

Hang on for much more if they are that keen

25 goal involvements for him this season

I would add the fact that he’s only going to get better as he gets older also.

Remember we made over 13 million from Europe league and season tickets money next season
i think we might only loose one asset
if we can get in group stages of champions league maybe just lose fringe players
hopeful loyal

12mil plus for Hagi is something the club consider imo.

Signed for 3mil and sold for 12 in a very short space of time. Not a nailed on starter.

Yes he could.improve and go for more but we need to sell and I'd rather sell hagi than some of the other big assets

A bit lower than I’d like but he’s the first player I’d sell. Doesn’t offer enough in the league and Aribo is much more effective in the front 3 or floating role they both often get. Hagi has been fantastic in spells in Europe but domestically he hasn’t fitted in to the system well enough for me.
He’s got the second most assists in the league (after Tav) so he’s clearly doing something right domestically

He was benched for the first two old firm games, home and away v benfica, away in Antwerp and home vs slavia.

If Hagi is £20m player like a lot on here are suggesting then why isn’t he starting every week like Kent does for example?

Gerrard choosing to go more physical in certain games is a decision that splits opinion.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we were far less creative in the 2nd leg against Slavia without him. We were comprehensively beaten at home and mustered one shot on target, in the away leg it was him that assisted the goal. It was also him that came on and made a massive difference in that previous Old Firm victory.

Gerrard choosing to go more physical in certain games is a decision that splits opinion.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we were far less creative in the 2nd leg against Slavia without him. We were comprehensively beaten at home and mustered one shot on target, in the away leg it was him that assisted the goal. It was also him that came on and made a massive difference in that previous Old Firm victory.
But if he’s worth £20m like so many say surely he should be starting every game?

Would all depend on how he reacts, if this bid is true.

If he made it clear to the club he wanted to stay, then reject it.
If he said he wanted to go, £13m is a decent negotiation starting point. He's good, and I would prefer him to stay, but the Number 10s we have makes us quite well off in his position, and that money could mean we don't need to sell a nailed on first choice from our team.

Personally hope he's stays for another 2/3 seasons and if he continues to develop the way he is. You could be talking silly money and we get the benefit of having a cracking player. For another couple of seasons.

Remember we made over 13 million from Europe league and season tickets money next season
i think we might only loose one asset
if we can get in group stages of champions league maybe just lose fringe players
hopeful loyal
One is leaving, most likely two - Dave King and John Bennett have said this numerous times.

It’s a strange one, this.

I only see Hagi getting better over time, so you’d probably say that we should keep him for another season or two.

However, we are eventually going to have to sell someone decent. We can’t just keep everybody and never sell anyone :))

Patterson doesn't start many games. What would be a good deal for him?
If you can’t see the difference between them when one plays in the same position as the captain and POTY contender, while only being a teenager then you need help!

I like Hagi, a very good player on his day, but quite often flatters to deceive, and the manager clearly agrees or at his age he would be starting all the big games.

I think if we got that as a cast iron offer and not one riddled with payment barriers etc then I think we would take it.

He's young and trending upwards so when he leaves us he's going to be playing in a top league and his next move will probably be for over £50m.

£15m should be our absolute minimum and 10%-15% sell on.

If you can’t see the difference between them when one plays in the same position as the captain and POTY contender, while only being a teenager then you need help!

I like Hagi, a very good player on his day, but quite often flatters to deceive, and the manager clearly agrees or at his age he would be starting all the big games.

I think if we got that as a cast iron offer and not one riddled with payment barriers etc then I think we would take it.
One is 19 and one is 22. Both are still young and developing. If you can't see that you need help!

People need to stop speaking about Hagi like he's a seasoned pro. The boy is only 22 and yet is a full international who has scored important goals for us at European level and you want to let him go for £11m?! Let him go, by all means, but at the correct valuation.

Lets not forget how important his goals were for us this season. We'd have dropped more points since the turn of the year had it not been for his goals.

You compare him to the Tav/Paterson situation, but who does Hagi have the devine right to start over? We have quality all over the pitch FFS.

It'd be cheap in the long run but £10m is £10m, to be fair. Slap on a sell on clause and I'd take it.

One is 19 and one is 22. Both are still young and developing. If you can't see that you need help!

People need to stop speaking about Hagi like he's a seasoned pro. The boy is only 22 and yet is a full international who has scored important goals for us at European level and you want to let him go for £11m?! Let him go, by all means, but at the correct valuation.

Lets not forget how important his goals were for us this season. We'd have dropped more points since the turn of the year had it not been for his goals.

You compare him to the Tav/Paterson situation, but who does Hagi have the devine right to start over? We have quality all over the pitch FFS.
Hagi has been playing first team football for a number of years and is a full international. Patterson has played a handful for games, no more. The two are hugely different situations. I can’t believe you think they are similar

Hagi has been playing first team football for a number of years and is a full international.
At the ripe old age of 22. Yoi make that point like it's a slight on him. His potential alone is worth more than £11m.

Given they both have massive potential but Hagi jas more experience, I can only assume you'd let Paterson leave for a lot less than Hagi?

Correct, when everyone is fit Hagi more often than not ends up starting on the bench.
Exactly, the lad has improved right enough but IF that is a genuine Lazio offer not just the usual tabloid guff, quite sure S.G will have the last word. As already stated by some here they need to claw back some losses, never mind the baloney that we are on sound financial footing, even before Covid things were tight, do the "we're sound" brigade think the recent flotation announcement is because they are on "sound financial footing"? Honest to goodness some have less fiscal brain than a banana.

If Hagi stays, personally non-plussed one way or another, he's been very, very ordinary on many occasions, he will being bulking up for sure, he will certainly benefit from the quality coaching at Rangers, would say it's more in his interest more than Rangers that he stays, right now he's far from being a regular on the team sheet, looks as if Wright, for instance, seems to have the nod ahead of him right now/already. ......Whatever, don't let realism ruin some peoples vision(s).

At the ripe old age of 22. Yoi make that point like it's a slight on him. His potential alone is worth more than £11m.

Given they both have massive potential but Hagi jas more experience, I can only assume you'd let Paterson leave for a lot less than Hagi?
Patterson is going nowhere, pointless even thinking about that.

Exactly, the lad has improved right enough but IF that is a genuine Lazio offer not just the usual tabloid guff, quite sure S.G will have the last word. As already stated by some here they need to claw back some losses, never mind the baloney that we are on sound financial footing, even before Covid things were tight, do the "we're sound" brigade think the recent flotation announcement is because they are on "sound financial footing"? Honest to goodness some have less fiscal brain than a banana.

If Hagi stays, personally non-plussed one way or another, he's been very, very ordinary on many occasions, he will being bulking up for sure, he will certainly benefit from the quality coaching at Rangers, would say it's more in his interest more than Rangers that he stays, right now he's far from being a regular on the team sheet, looks as if Wright, for instance, seems to have the nod ahead of him right now/already. ......Whatever, don't let realism ruin some peoples vision(s).
So one start againt Cove means Wright has the nod ahead of Hagi? Wow :rolleyes:

This Summers market will not be a good one for sellers. It will be good for buyers. If there is a way to hold onto our best players and even buy a couple we need to take that option/gamble. In 15 months time football finances and the world will be a different place.
If we "gamble" we might even have direct entry into the Champs Lge which would put us in an amazing position with our finances.
Champions Lge next season will keep the wolves from the door and then some

It’s absolutely not a slight on Hagi, who is a good player. I just think having seen him now for 2 seasons that in my opinion a few of around €13 million represents good business.

Whereas Patterson is only now breaking through into the first team and is hugely rated as a hot prospect by anyone who has eyes. His value will go up and up.

Im not hugely convinced Hagi’s will. It might. But it’s just my opinion. The fact that at 22 and despite being a big money signing that our manager still rarely starts him in big games tells me he doesn’t see him as a 1st pick either.

Madness to sell Hagi, there’s a select few who are good enough to go to a higher level, Hagi definitely one, money will talk at the end of the day. All you need to look at is the assist per minutes played stats to see how good he is. Many players create chances, he creates chances that lead to goals.

Back