€13m Lazio bid for Ianis Hagi according to Sport.ro

if Alfredo goes im sure we will sign another quality stri

You are correct mate. In fact I have a recollection that whoever was being interviewed - it might have been John Bennett - said that they should really have sold Alfredo last year but decided to put faith in the management to deliver and so rejected the Lille offer, despite the impact it would have on finances. He went on to say that the model was to sell one or two players per season, reinvest, then do it all again the next year.

EDIT: Robertson at the AGM:

“We know that in time a key part of our business model means that we have to facilitate an increase in income by trading players. We have to really focus on that over the next 12 months.

“We know as a club we've made a lot of progress in a lot of areas but that area is one we're really focused on.

“We know for the business model of the club we need to start moving one or two players a year.”

Excellent post They have made no secret of how business will be conducted to sustain and consolidate but whatever you do don't talk sense or point out the bloody obvious and ruin the dreams of people who haven't read the plan/program..

Personally, find it hard to believe Lazio offered 10 M never mind 13 m for Hagi, more tabloid guff. IF they did, guaranteed, Gers will grab it before they change their minds, post Covid the game is hardly awash with money nor will be for some time(s). Much talk of the lad with huge "potential", you could have fill a telephone directory with the names of lads who have had "potential" and came to nothing. At 22y ears of age there has to be more than potential. A Journeyman at best.

Hysterical to see some claiming Hagi's a better player than Aribo, aye that's why J.A is a regular and yer man on the bench most of the time.

I can't see us entertaining anything less than £16 million for any of our players when it comes to dealing with the clubs from big money TV leagues.

If we can get closer to 15 for him - and for a palayer whos not a guaranteed starter - i would take it . and re invest

How many others from the current Rangers squad will be the subject bids during the transfer window? Where do you draw the line? It would be unfair, in my opinion,to expect Gerrard to have to substantially rebuild a squad that he had only recently assembled, and had just won the league.

He started the last Old Firm, Slavia, Antwerp, Aberdeen...

Leads the league in assists, open play chances created, averages a goal or assist every other game, is only 22 and getting better.

No chance.
It’s because he isn’t constantly doing stuff in the game, always steps up when needed whether it’s a goal or assist...

If true, I’d take it and insist on a sell on clause

bought him for around £3.5m last summer.

to make an £8m profit on a player that isn’t a guaranteed starting 11 player would be excellent business

The wee guy has scored goals for us on cold wet nights when we were struggling. From a commercial point of view he’s worth a bit e.g his ads with Messi. I think we should hold out for at least £15m bank some and invest with best regards it’s the best way forward for our club.

Excellent post They have made no secret of how business will be conducted to sustain and consolidate but whatever you do don't talk sense or point out the bloody obvious and ruin the dreams of people who haven't read the plan/program..

Personally, find it hard to believe Lazio offered 10 M never mind 13 m for Hagi, more tabloid guff. IF they did, guaranteed, Gers will grab it before they change their minds, post Covid the game is hardly awash with money nor will be for some time(s). Much talk of the lad with huge "potential", you could have fill a telephone directory with the names of lads who have had "potential" and came to nothing. At 22y ears of age there has to be more than potential. A Journeyman at best.

Hysterical to see some claiming Hagi's a better player than Aribo, aye that's why J.A is a regular and yer man on the bench most of the time.

A 22 year old who already has 16 international caps and has played for 4 different clubs isn't really a journeyman mate.

The club wouldn't necessarily accept £13m if it was offered right now for Hagi - based on his age, goal & assist record, and his international status, coupled with the fact it's April and the transfer window isn't even open yet, I'm sure they'd hope for more. It's a big profit in a year, but he'd already be hard to replace and will attract even more if he performs well in Europe and domestically again next year.

Joe Aribo has played 100 more minutes than Hagi in all competitions. In fact, he has 35 appearances this season compared to Hagi's 39. This is despite the fact Aribo can play as a centre mid and has been needed to cover Jack & Arfield's injuries.

Crazy to see some rating Hagi over Aribo. Both are capable of changing games but both can blow hot and cold. Aribo though is stronger and quicker and much more suited to the Scottish game.
Both can improve their technique and football brain with coaching but pace and strength is usually set at these players ages

I would definitely try and keep him. He is only going to get better. He seems to love it here and with more international and European games his value will rise.

The wee guy has scored goals for us on cold wet nights when we were struggling. From a commercial point of view he’s worth a bit e.g his ads with Messi. I think we should hold out for at least £15m bank some and invest with best regards it’s the best way forward for our club.
Surely that commercial value is to himself?

The grim reality is we will need to start selling assets, as per the business model. This will mean we'll see fans favourites go for less than we'd like and some go before they reach there full potential. It's the way it's going to need to be. Unfortunately, we can't pick and choose what players to sell and for what price.

It's of course not in question though the suits at Ibrox will be getting the best deal, especially with sellons. Definitely an area we've missed out on over the years!

Of all the potential exits this summer ,Hagi is one that I could live with but, for a wee change,let's not take the first offer

This Lazio thing isn't going away, I don't think he'd want to leave just now considering he's had quite an erratic career already for such a young guy, personally I love Hagi and think it's relatively fair but I'd rather hold onto him and let his value grow for a year or two.
Career wise his story has been similar to Ryan kent's
Lots of clubs, But not really settling until Rangers.
I think that these lads themselves can see that a bit of stability will only do them good in the long run.

And it should follow that the value to us when selling would increase.

Career wise his story has been similar to Ryan kent's
Lots of clubs, But not really settling until Rangers.
I think that these lads themselves can see that a bit of stability will only do them good in the long run.

And it should follow that the value to us when selling would increase.
I think we’ll feel that way about most of our players.

Buy low, develop, sell high.

That’s the model.

Hagi’s at the mid point of that process so the optimum time to sell him is probably still a year or two away.

However, the buying low and developing part is something we appear to be doing well, but we’ve still to see the sell high bit in action on any level yet.

This summer someone is going to have to be sold for big money, it’s vital to our short term health, so we can’t scream and wail at every rumoured approach for our players and demand unrealistic price tags that would see none of them leave.

Like it or not, a fee of around £12m for a player we bought for a third of that less than a year ago and who’s not necessarily one of the first names on the team sheet is the sort of business we will actively consider.

Is there any sell on clause from his previous club that we need to pay out? If yes, then the offer needs to be upped a bit.

I like Hagi, happy to see him stay and not devastated if he goes, but also we have a business model that we haven't even started yet. Buy them young, get them cheap, and sell them high. We need to embrace that even though the temptation is just hold on to players.

Alfie and Hagi will probably go. Kamara maybe after the Euros. One more year for Aribo and then he will go for big bucks. I'd consider selling Tav now too.

It's hard to take but we need to start implementing this plan or else we will hit a wall soon.

Hard to take anything you say seriously when you're calling a 22 year old a journeyman.

This just doesn't seem to be going away, so I'm thinking there's something in it, we don't need to sell though, but every player has his price I suppose, aim high with the lower twenties, and try and squeeze between 15-17m out of it, with a decent sell on clause

For those comparing Aribo and Hagi, their stats are as follows this season:

Aribo: Goals 7, Goals/min 1/368, Assists 4, Assists/min 1/644.

Hagi: Goals 7, Goals/min 1/352, Assists 12, Assists/min 1/205.

It can be seen that Hagi is definitely more effective when Aribo when it comes to the attacking side of the game.

For those comparing Aribo and Hagi, their stats are as follows this season:

Aribo: Goals 7, Goals/min 1/368, Assists 4, Assists/min 1/644.

Hagi: Goals 7, Goals/min 1/352, Assists 12, Assists/min 1/205.

It can be seen that Hagi is definitely more effective when Aribo when it comes to the attacking side of the game.
Comparing them is daft, Aribo is playing in a midfield three and Hagi in a forward three. It's like comparing Kamara and Kent.

Comparing them is daft, Aribo is playing in a midfield three and Hagi in a forward three. It's like comparing Kamara and Kent.
I agree to an extent. Aribo does play in the front three sometimes, but it was more for people who were comparing them above.

Reactions: LD5
Chicken feed for one of the best young players in the world . He won’t be allowed to leave for a sheckle less than £18 million take it from me plus add ons . He’s a game changer and he loves it here .

I hope so, I was being moderate in my £15-17 plus sell on prediction, but I absolutely agree we should be looking for top dollar, the boy is going to be a superstar

Laddie, it's a figure of speech meaning "ordinary" but not at all surprised it sailed over your head.
Rap the condescending 'laddie' shite.

Journeyman is a term used for someone who has spent their career moving around clubs every season because they're average, not a young guy who struggled to break into Serie A at 17 then didn't fit in with a basketcase Genk side at not much older than that.

You need to pick a new sport if you think he is an 'ordinary' player as well, 'laddie'.

A 22 year old who already has 16 international caps and has played for 4 different clubs isn't really a journeyman mate.

The club wouldn't necessarily accept £13m if it was offered right now for Hagi - based on his arege, goal & assist record, and his international status, coupled with the fact it's April and the transfer window isn't even open yet, I'm sure they'd hope for more. It's a big profit in a year, but he'd already be hard to replace and will attract even more if he performs well in Europe and domestically again next year.

Joe Aribo has played 100 more minutes than Hagi in all competitions. In fact, he has 35 appearances this season compared to Hagi's 39. This is despite the fact Aribo can play as a centre mid and has been needed to cover Jack & Arfield's injuries.
Five clubs and 16 caps for Romania, big deal. Nevertheless none of the previous clubs felt he was worth hanging onto, journeyman sums him up perfectly as occasionally able to play a part as a capable squad player, forget the notion he is ever going to dominate a game. You have it wrong way around, Arfield and excellent player now deputises for Aribo who is now an established regular when fit and getting better all the time, ridiculous to even mention Jack and Aribo as competing for position, completely different roles in the team, there is NO comparison, Hagi isn't even close to Aribo now, nor in potential. Appearances mean bugger all in this context, Aribo has been injured. You are just talking nonsense and sounding like the galoot John Kennedy.Nobody absolutely nobody who knows football could ever dream of saying Hagi a better player than Aribo.

If and it's a very questionable IF any club, Lazio or whomever offered 13M ( very much doubt it) almost twice what Kent apparently cost for Hagi, right now Rangers would take it.

An excellent return on the investment of a player who has been on the bench more than playing, if he were as capable and consistant as say Kamara and a quite a few others he'd be a regular, never going to happen but there are those who get misty eyed with the name Hagi and it's gimmickry and then some who are realistic and can see with their own eyes that's he's a Hagi of old in name only, he's in exactly the same position he was in with his last club which is why they let him go albeit he's playing, now and again for a far more famous club. Already said, non-plussed if he goes or stays, an OK squad player for sure...but turn down 13M in these grim economic time(s) and needing to issue another shares flotation......give me a break "mate".

Last edited:
Rap the condescending 'laddie' shite.

Journeyman is a term used for someone who has spent their career moving around clubs every season because they're average, not a young guy who struggled to break into Serie A at 17 then didn't fit in with a basketcase Genk side at not much older than that.

You need to pick a new sport if you think he is an 'ordinary' player as well, 'laddie'.
Yes laddie, which is exactly what Hagi has done thus far going for one team after another unable to establish himself, hence journeyman in progress and soon another one, you answered your own question, so all the othersides he played for were wrong about him eh a "basketcase" Genk, laughable comment, couldn't cut the mustard at Fiorentina because he was a "young guy" not a basket case team but well known for developing youngsters and didn't in his case for whatever reason. Look the lad is grand as a squad player, no question...just stop talking merde and realise IF they are offered 13M they will happily take it. Without the name "Hagi" he wouldn't get a second chance in reality.

Five clubs and 16 caps for Romania, big deal. Nevertheless none of the previous clubs felt he was worth hanging onto, journeyman sums him up perfectly as occasionally able to play a part as a capable squad player, forget the notion he is ever going to dominate a game. You have it wrong way around, Arfield and excellent player now deputises for Aribo who is now an established regular when fit and getting better all the time, ridiculous to even mention Jack and Aribo as competing for position, completely different roles in the team, there is NO comparison, Hagi isn't even close to Aribo now, nor in potential. Apparences mean bugger all in this context, Aribo has been injured. You are just talking nonsense and sounding like the galoot John Kennedy.Nobody absolutely nobody who knows football could ever dream of saying Hagi a better player than Aribo.

If and it's a very questionable IF any club, Lazio or whomever offered 13M ( very much doubt it) almost twice what Kent apparently cost for Hagi right now Rangers would take it.

An excellent return on the investment of a player who has been on the bench more than playing, if he were as capable and consistant as say Kamara and a quite ba few others he'd be a regular, never going to happen but there are those who get misty eyed with the name Hagi and it's gimmickry and then some who are realistic and can see with their own eyes that's he's a Hagi of old in name only, he's in exactly the same position he was inn with his last club which is why they let him go albeit he's playing, now and again, for a far more famous club. Already said, non-plussed if he goes or stays, an OK squad player for sure...but turn down 13M in these grim economic time(s) and needing to issue another shares flotation......give me a break "mate".
“Ok squad player”

“excellent return on investment”

I notice you are new to the board,new to football as well clearly because Hagi has had a terrific season.

Back