Dan Walker to leave Football Focus / Alex Scott appointed

Wait do so many of you hate him because he said we broke covid celebrations partying outside Ibrox? I've got news for you...

Because she's never played at the highest level you know.

We've just missed Dan Walker's glittering football career before stepping into the BBC studios.

he's shit on the breakfast fluff show never mind anything football related
distilled beige in a suit

played the game to the highest level she could
excellent pundit - always prepared, knowledgable and current
compare her to the old dinosaurs or the new ones they try out and its night an day

what were Walkers credentials?
He's a qualified journalist. I want a qualified journalist (Laura Woods or Natalie Sawyer would be fine for me) or someone who has played to the level on which they are commenting.

I don't live in the UK and don't think I have ever seen Alex Scott but she is neither of the above.

He's a qualified journalist. I want a qualified journalist (Laura Woods or Natalie Sawyer would be fine for me) or someone who has played to the level on which they are commenting.

I don't live in the UK and don't think I have ever seen Alex Scott but she is neither of the above.

Why does a journalist who's been on TV have more credentials to present a football show than an actual footballer who's been on TV as well ?

She's not being asked to write a newspaper story or edit a paper. She's been asked to present a telly program. She already does so and she is perfectly good at it.

She’s a qualified journalist, former professional footballer at international and champions league level and has about 5 years experience on various different football broadcast events.

More than qualified to present fluff like football focus fs

Graham Spiers is a qualified journalist, John Collins played at the highest level, Michael Stewart played at a reasonable level and is extensively media trained.

She might not have a degree but she has extensive media experience going back a decade.

Not a fan of Alex Scott at all.

As someone else said, when push comes to shove guys like Souness tie her up in knots.

She's full of cliches and is the type that reads some stuff on the internet then spouts it on TV. There is no depth or substance to what she says.

Just a tick box.

It's a bit more complicated than that. It's the BBC appointing people because of their gender rather than ability. She ticks all the boxes, any male on the short list for the job didn't stand a chance.
On a slightly different issue I know a girl who was a news reporter on a local radio station a few years back. Met her frequently through work issues in that time. She never once showed any interest in sport, any kind of sport.. She's now often on the main BBC news channel reporting on sport. Any knowledge she has on the subject is bare minimum. I cringe sometimes when I see her talking about topics that she really has no interest in.
I would really have expected someone who is employed to report on Sport to be someone who has a general interest in the subject.

It's a bit more complicated than that. It's the BBC appointing people because of their gender rather than ability. She ticks all the boxes, any male on the short list for the job didn't stand a chance.
On a slightly different issue I know a girl who was a news reporter on a local radio station a few years back. Met her frequently through work issues in that time. She never once showed any interest in sport, any kind of sport.. She's now often on the main BBC news channel reporting on sport. Any knowledge she has on the subject is bare minimum. I cringe sometimes when I see her talking about topics that she really has no interest in.
I would really have expected someone who is employed to report on Sport to be someone who has a general interest in the subject.
Isn’t that standard for sports presenters? or even presenters in general? you can’t have an interest in all sports/topics.

Isn’t that standard for sports presenters? or even presenters in general? you can’t have an interest in all sports/topics.
Would agree about it being normal for presenters in general but would expect a sports reporter to be at least interested in sport. I don't think it's something that the BBC is worried about judging by the standard of most of their sports reporters.

Right, I’m raging about this. Who do I complain to? I shall write a strongly worded letter. :rolleyes:

I’m no leftist it in any way woke, but I’m struggling to care in all honesty.

I haven’t watched football focus in decades.

That said, Alex Scott is quite easy on the eye, though so I may start to watch it again

Not a fan of Alex Scott at all.

As someone else said, when push comes to shove guys like Souness tie her up in knots.

She's full of cliches and is the type that reads some stuff on the internet then spouts it on TV. There is no depth or substance to what she says.

Just a tick box.
On at least 3 occasions I have heard her say words to the effect “when I was playing I positioned myself....” when criticising a International footballer. The level she played at is way way below Scottish 2nd division.

played the game to the highest level she could
excellent pundit - always prepared, knowledgable and current
compare her to the old dinosaurs or the new ones they try out and its night an day

what were Walkers credentials?
Och you, with reasoning and facts. Can we no all just be very very angry about this, just because it's new and different?

Not surprised she got the gig. Good for her

Nah mate, it’s obviously just box ticking.

Is it bad to get alternative perspectives?

She isn't removing Gary Neville from his tactics board mate. She's presenting.

If having people like Alex Scott fronting important shows like this gets more viewers from different backgrounds into the game then it's a win-win.

No-one is suffering here & Dan Walker won't be short of gigs

Is it bad to get alternative perspectives?

She isn't removing Gary Neville from his tactics board mate. She's presenting.

If having people like Alex Scott fronting important shows like this gets more viewers from different backgrounds into the game then it's a win-win.

No-one is suffering here & Dan Walker won't be short of gigs
I was being sarcastic mate :D

Football Focus has been gash for years.
I hardly tuned in even through these current times.
Thats me done with it now.

Alex Scott, Karen Carney & Laura Woods all know their stuff and I would gladly listen to (or watch) any of them

If the job had been given to anyone other than a white, middle aged guy there'd be accusations of it being a box-ticking exercise. Can't really win anymore.

Back