Famous Rangers fans.

hqdefault.jpg
I remember seeing the 70s photo, but as recently as that? Take it that was just a charity match he played in?

Four Weddings And A Funeral star Hugh Grant was one of thousands searching.

He told friends he had been trying to get his hands on tickets for the City of Manchester Stadium.

Grant is a supporter of Fulham and Rangers and is desperate not to miss the Light Blues playing a match of such significance in England.

A source close to the actor said: "He has tried everything. He is not a season ticket-holder but he's a big Rangers man and he does not want to miss them in the UEFA Cup Final, particularly in England

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/100000-rangers-fans-set-to-head-976896
Really???

He was a pilot that flew the team to a European fixture.Never knew he was a Bear though
He’s not.
Guardian contributor
BruceDickinsonChat
17 October 2017 1:15pm
Well ... first of all I'm not basically a huge slavish football fan. In other words - I don't support any particular team. Although I take an interest in Chelsea only because they are in West London. And have a colourful history of managers. But West Ham have got an interesting manager at the moment and I was lucky enough to have dinner with him in Croatia before he was West Ham's manager and I found him extremely intelligent, which was unexpected. I found him a very fascinating conversationalist - we talked about management styles and man management. He'd studied at Manchester United and Arsenal studying both styles of management. I rather revised my opinion of football managers based on that experience. But as you can see I'm not an expert on football, I like watching a good game but live I would rather go to a rugby match.

I had this conversation with a mate of mine recently. Can't think of any other Scottish band that can come anywhere near them with regards to record sales , platinum album after platinum album etc in the USA.
Still a massive draw over in the states & deservedly so.

I had this conversation with a mate of mine recently. Can't think of any other Scottish band that can come anywhere near them with regards to record sales , platinum album after platinum album etc in the USA.
Great youtube clip of them in the US doing Queen of my soul on a Soul train type programme mid 70"s. Its the interview after with the big affro dude and the band just broad Scots. ..pure gold.

Great youtube clip of them in the US doing Queen of my soul on a Soul train type programme mid 70"s. Its the interview after with the big affro dude and the band just broad Scots. ..pure gold.

Yeah , I've seen that mate. As you say , all these 'superfly guy' type black guys & girls getting on down to a bunch of long haired , bearded hippy type guys from Dundee & Glasgow.
Only the AWB could get away with releasing a song in the States called 'McEwans Export'..
;)

Jim Davidson.

Saw him a few weeks back and he admitted as much on stage. Also said Eddie Large was a bluenose as well as a City fan

The bass player and Dougie Souness used to sit behind me in the Govan Rear. Dougie always used to wear a half and half Rangers and England Umbro top.
Dougie Souness is the voice through all the awful songs on matchdays

the queen does know were you play. king George iv and the queen mother were at Ibrox in 1941. and queen Elizabeth and prince Philip have been to Ibrox a few times. because her majesty the queen knows were her most loyal subjects north of the border play and the loyal fans watch.

Reactions: STU
I seen him a few times at Ibrox during the early 70's my memory was that the shop stewards in the yards who were members of the Communist Party were almost all Rangers fans
Correct. Wasn’t until the mid to late 80’s poets started to infiltrate unions. UAEW in fact gave a lot of six week wonders a card at Ardesier when the Boilermakers told them to fk off. Union members were always referred to as Bears. Jimmy Reid was a Bear big time.

Marmalade were always my favourite Scots band and THE best to come out of Glasgow. Pretty sure Junior Campbell would have been one of us if asked?

Old Bastard Loyal ;)

Marmalade were always my favourite Scots band and THE best to come out of Glasgow. Pretty sure Junior Campbell would have been one of us if asked?

Old Bastard Loyal ;)

In his autobiography Rick Wakeman tells of the time when he got Junior to turn out for his celebrity football team.
They were playing against a team of priests, who were well known for kicking anything that moved, then giving it the sign of the cross and "God bless you my son."
Anyway one of them booted Junior and started to utter the Bless you shite, only for Junior to stick the head on him.
So I fancy he's one of the troops.

Correct. Wasn’t until the mid to late 80’s poets started to infiltrate unions. UAEW in fact gave a lot of six week wonders a card at Ardesier when the Boilermakers told them to fk off. Union members were always referred to as Bears. Jimmy Reid was a Bear big time.
I know Jimmy Reid left religion behind and was probably an atheist, but although he was born near Ibrox wasn't he braised as an RC?
Surely he was no Rangers man?

I know Jimmy Reid left religion behind and was probably an atheist, but although he was born near Ibrox wasn't he braised as an RC?
Surely he was no Rangers man?
He was left wing, but so were most Bears in the 60's, and also a strong trade unionist. He was at Ibrox often and without cheating and going to the Internet I'm pretty sure his funeral was held at Govan Parish Church, attended by Sir Alex Ferguson and other VIP.

He was left wing, but so were most Bears in the 60's, and also a strong trade unionist. He was at Ibrox often and without cheating and going to the Internet I'm pretty sure his funeral was held at Govan Parish Church, attended by Sir Alex Ferguson and other VIP.
He had a humanist funeral or so I read.
I am not arguing about Rangers having a working-class support that were at the heart of workers movements in Scotland.
That is our cultural inheritance.

I am just saying that Jimmy Reid from what I have read, was raised as a Catholic, and I have never heard anything to suggest that, if he was interested in football, he was anything other than just another Filth supporter like most of his tribe.
Well not until this thread.

I am willing to accept that he was a Bear, but the evidence seems a bit thin.

Back