Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Does Lou Macari come out of this with some credit? To me it looks like he was up against the whole system and was farting against the wind. I know he could have lifted the phone but there was an enormous closed shop putting up the shutters.
Not in my opinion, he could and should have called the police like large john could and should have, they are complicit in their cover up of child abuse on an industrial scale.

Had the misfortune of serving His Holiness Tommy Burns when I was 16 and working PT as a waiter.

It was all “Boy! Another beer”, “Hurry up boy!”, Boy this, Boy that and just being a general prick.

So much for the ‘perfect gentleman’ you always hear people waxing lyrical about...:rolleyes:
Think I would have tripped and made the rank bhastard wear his beer. Did he have his washing machine spex on in them days?

Reddit is a hotbed of pro IRA, anti British, pro Celtic love ins... a hint of this exposure on Reddit gets reported and shot down from my experience.

Need to try a grown up website.
That's pretty fucked up noticed on it the arseholes were getting praised for the street name fiasco but never on it usually, there must be sites we can get onto for exposure I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but 4chan have a particular dislike for wrong uns, para to post on it though the place is an asylum.

That's pretty fucked up noticed on it the arseholes were getting praised for the street name fiasco but never on it usually, there must be sites we can get onto for exposure I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but 4chan have a particular dislike for wrong uns, para to post on it though the place is an asylum.

Will take our conversation to private message so we don't dilute this thread.

street name fiasco. Concerned with what Mr Buchanan did 300 years ago but not what Mr Torbett did 30 years ago

What’s my favourite Timmy twitterati twat saying this time? He hiding behind his anonymity again? He castigating people who are genuine victims of child abuse while he throws in the same 4 pictures of newspaper snippets he found somewhere?

The anonymous raging ronnie, forever baiting but never showing himself out in the real world, in the fear people seeing the real person....

In summary, a bigoted fud of biblical proportions.

Looking forward to our avid readers at the Celtic star releasing the usual denial/deflect story. However not heard a peep on issue since getting nationally disgraced on CH4?

I’d like to think the enormity of the situation their discusting club is facing has affected them.
worrying thing is that they lot are using words like far right on the comments. I expect this will be the general Defensive tactic from them lot.

Far right if you seek justice for the victims of paedophilia. Far right if you do not have a racist bone in your body, you choose not to take to the knee, just because social media compels you to.

Far right if you might see the clumsy "white lives matter" airplane banner a bit relevant a day or two after 3 white men had been butchered by an asylum seeker of a different ethnic origin.

Far right if you have sympathy for the plight of the Jewish people and their desire to protect their homeland.

Far right if you respect and honour our service men and women.

Far right if you wish to protect the symbols of our history, including the statues and street names of those who shaped our country. Obliterate them and we are revisionists. Acknowledge them and we can educate future generations. Unfortunately, the separatist narrative is comfortable denying Scotland's place in the creation and expansion of the Empire. It is convenient for them to portray us as racially oppressed.

The world is fvcked.

What’s my favourite Timmy twitterati twat saying this time? He hiding behind his anonymity again? He castigating people who are genuine victims of child abuse while he throws in the same 4 pictures of newspaper snippets he found somewhere?

The anonymous raging ronnie, forever baiting but never showing himself out in the real world, in the fear people seeing the real person....

In summary, a bigoted fud of biblical proportions.
Details of this young lady will be released at the right time. The funny thing is it’s one of her own that’s grassed her. It seems there are a few within their ranks that find her an embarrassment. She’s got a shitty little job also. All in good time.

After Burnley's stunt with the plane, it shows you can get stuff broadcast on tv. The first home game against the bheasts, if it's behind closed doors would be a brilliant opportunity to tell the world about the child abuse they are linked with. A massive banner with "young boys lives matter" covering a whole stand would set tongues wagging worldwide and people asking the question, "What does THAT mean?" The media in this shithole of a country would have nowhere to hide.
It wouldn't get shown up here mate. The media would snub it.

Far right if you seek justice for the victims of paedophilia. Far right if you do not have a racist bone in your body, you choose not to take to the knee, just because social media compels you to.

Far right if you might see the clumsy "white lives matter" airplane banner a bit relevant a day or two after 3 white men had been butchered by an asylum seeker of a different ethnic origin.

Far right if you have sympathy for the plight of the Jewish people and their desire to protect their homeland.

Far right if you wish to protect the symbols of our history, including the statues and street names of those who shaped our country. Obliterate them and we are revisionists. Acknowledge them and we can educate future generations. Unfortunately, the separatist narrative is comfortable denying Scotland's place in the creation and expansion of the Empire. It is convenient for them to portray us as racially oppressed.

The world is fvcked.

I couldn’t agree more with what you say. Personally from a family of military hero’s that served our country. Thankfully I never had to because of their sacrifice. However can’t help feeling we are fighting something now that will only come apparent once our country has lost its identity completely.
I fear that even us mentioning anything that doesn’t fit the agenda can be used as a weapon against the good cause.

The world is fvcked.

Great post. I'm just a normal guy, yet they'd have me in this category.

The Nats are the head of the snake. If we do not mobilise the majority at the next election then we deserve all we get.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but im starting to see Scotland as a lost cause at the ballot box. The cult and their percentage will vote for them no matter what. There are too many divisions within the rest of the Scottish population to be able to mobilise any sort of movement against them.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but im starting to see Scotland as a lost cause at the ballot box. The cult and their percentage will vote for them no matter what. There are too many divisions within the rest of the Scottish population to be able to mobilise any sort of movement against them.

I just think the majority are SILENT.

Let's see at the ballot box next year, because the unionists are still in the majority in this
country, and just need to work on BEING ALIGNED in terms of voting.

The world is fvcked.
One of the best posts I’ve read.
Thanks.

Fergus McCann famously redacted Tommy Burns' words. McCann was probably correct in doing so. The club probably didn't "to a man" back 'Big Frank'. Just the manager, first team strikers, midfielders, defenders, future captain.....
Burns and other high profile players and staff backing Cairney only served to highlight to the young boys being abused the futility of stepping forward with allegations. It proved to them that they wouldn't be backed. Shocking behaviour by Burns and the players involved.
Macari was in a senior position and not qualified to deal with the situation. He wouldn't have the appropriate support from within the club either. This has been the case since the beginning and the solution has always been missed. Pass the responsibility to someone able to deal with it appropriately. Call the police. Then there's failings with police investigation and the criminal justice system. It's been a shitshow for the boys for 50 years so hats off to you all for continuing to fight for them, if there's anyone on the planet who deserves justice, it's these boys.

No.
If you’re not what the left agree with, you’re a racist, sectarian, xenophobic, bigot.
Actually, you could probably throw in homophobic and misogynistic as well.

This is the problem Tazza, we've tried to be above all of the sectarian & other stuff & they've
jumped right in & set a new & extreme narrative that people are being compared to.

It worries me what will happen in OUR COUNTRY if SNP get independence mate.

Last edited:
Not in my opinion, he could and should have called the police like large john could and should have, they are complicit in their cover up of child abuse on an industrial scale.
They are 100% complicit in their cover up and I would say that I'd assume the Police were well aware of what was going on at that football club. I'm sure they demoted a high ranking female officer recently for making what they deemed an inappropriate comment regarding the abuse at Celtic.

Burns and other high profile players and staff backing Cairney only served to highlight to the young boys being abused the futility of stepping forward with allegations. It proved to them that they wouldn't be backed. Shocking behaviour by Burns and the players involved.
Macari was in a senior position and not qualified to deal with the situation. He wouldn't have the appropriate support from within the club either. This has been the case since the beginning and the solution has always been missed. Pass the responsibility to someone able to deal with it appropriately. Call the police. Then there's failings with police investigation and the criminal justice system. It's been a shitshow for the boys for 50 years so hats off to you all for continuing to fight for them, if there's anyone on the planet who deserves justice, it's these boys.

He needs put on the stand along with many others and asked WHO he did speak with!

The world is fvcked.
Great post. If the above views deem me as far right then I am far right and proud.

I understand where you’re coming from AB but I would urge resistance to this school of thought - it’s exactly what the Nationalists want voters to think.

They are banking on persuading uncertain Scots that Independence is inevitable and so this must be the desired direction of travel.

Unionist leaders need to get louder and prouder about the benefits of the Union, and they need to start doing it now.

I understand where you’re coming from AB but I would urge resistance to this school of thought - it’s exactly what the Nationalists want voters to think.

They are banking on persuading uncertain Scots that Independence is inevitable and so this must be the desired direction of travel.

Unionist leaders need to get louder and prouder about the benefits of the Union, and they need to start doing it now.

No im with you there. I will never give up on the Union. I just dont see how we manage to galvanise and unite Unionists.
The stuff that they are getting away with is horrendous. This in itself should be enough to finish them.

Not wanting to hijack what is a very important thread.

I have a friend involved in making a doc about the paedophile ring at Crewe. I believe they looked at the torbert stuff. I would like to try and get them to dig a little deeper. Is there a place with the most sussinct summary, dossier of all the abuse/timeline etc and is @BN94 the best bet for him to show his producer etc on Twitter just in case we can shed some more light. Especially if we can show the bennel links that would be the best way to get it in.

From the Guardian online Australian edition this morning.

Child abuse victims to sue Celtic FC in landmark case
Civil action claims Scottish club failed to protect them from paedophiles working around Celtic Boys’ Club

Henry McDonald

A view of the Jock Stein statue outside Celtic Park. Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Victims of a number of paedophiles are to sue Celtic football club in a ground-breaking civil action amidst claims it failed to protect them from sex abusers working around Celtic Boys’ Club.
Three victim-survivors aim to use a civil trial to “knock down the defence wall” they say Celtic has erected in order to distance itself from the Boys’ Club, the Guardian has learnt.
The Glasgow-based team insist that Celtic Boys’ Club is a separate legal entity – a claim that those abused at the latter say only compounds the decades of hurt they have endured. The new Scottish Premiership champions have repeatedly made this claim in the Scottish media.
The victim-survivors hope their case will also shine light on the role played by a senior Celtic executive when one paedophile returned to the Boys’ Club after he had been allegedly sacked from it in 1974 by Jock Stein, the Glasgow side’s legendary European Cup winning manager.
Advertisement

A Guardian investigation has also uncovered allegations of threats, intimidation, vandalism and social media attacks on the family of one victim of the Celtic Boys’ Club abusers. There is no suggestion these incidents are linked to anyone connected to Celtic FC or the Boys’ Club.
Several victim-survivors have criticised the Scottish government for failing to set up an independent public inquiry into the abuse scandal that has shaken Celtic and Scottish football.
A Scottish government spokesperson said it has already established a wide ranging review into child abuse across Scotland.
“The Scottish government, having listened to the views of survivors, established one of the widest ranging public inquiries that Scotland has ever seen, into the abuse of children in care, focusing on the systemic institutional failures which saw many of our most vulnerable children, including those in the care of the state, abused by the very individuals who were there to care for them. We want that inquiry to be able to undertake its work in a timescale that can address the issues raised by survivors, many of whom are elderly,” it said.
Patrick McGuire, one of the lawyers for the 21 victim-survivors, describes Celtic’s argument that it was and is a separate legal entity from the Boys’ Club and is therefore not corporately responsible for the paedophiles crimes as “absolute nonsense.”
McGuire, a senior partner in Glasgow law firm Thompsons which is taking the civil action later this year on behalf of the victim-survivors, said:
“There is loads of evidence of scouts at Celtic finding young stars and telling them the route into the parent club is first to join the Boys’ Club.
“We have a copy of ‘Celtic View’ (the club’s official newspaper) which talks about the players of that week going from the senior team best player all the way down to the Boys’ Club. Their in-house newspaper talks about the Boys’ Club being ‘part of the Celtic family’ and Davy Hay, a former manager, described the youth side as the ‘base of the pyramid’ of the entire club.”
The abusers connected with Celtic Boys’ include multi-millionaire businessman James Torbett who helped set up the club in the late 1960s. He was sentenced for six years in November 2018 after the trial judge said he “used the club as a front for child sexual abuse.” Torbett was also jailed in 1998 for abusing young players between 1967 and 1974.
Another prominent management figure in Celtic Boys’ Club was the team’s former kitman Jim McCafferty. Last year the 73-year-old was found guilty of 12 sex abuse charges in relation to ten boys. McCafferty’s crimes stretched from 1972 to 1996. He was sentenced to six years and nine months in prison after admitting to all 12 charges.
At the time of his conviction in May 2019 McCafferty was already serving a prison sentence for the sexual abuse of a boy in Belfast. Four out of his 12 victims played for the Boys’ Club but others included boys from other football youth teams he ran in North Lanarkshire.
Several of these men’s victims went on to become senior professional players at Celtic, other Scottish premier league teams and for Scotland.
One of Torbett’s victims who has spoken out, David Gordon, says Celtic’s position that it was and remains a separate legal entity flies in the face of facts.
“We trained at Barrowfield (their training centre) and we actually played at Parkhead. I remember running out there as a 14-year-old in the hooped jersey before a Celtic v Rangers game in front of an 80,000 plus crowd. I remember we even swopped jerseys with a young Rangers kid on the pitch. Was I playing for a separate legal entity back then? They even used to get us at the Boys’ Club to sell the programmes during big matches.”
Families who have spoken out in favour of the civil action against Celtic have received physical and on-line threats over recent months.
Michelle Gray’s late brother Andrew revealed before he died in Australia that Torbett had sexually abused him when the paedophile was allowed back into the club in the mid 1980s. Michelle Gray and her mother Helene say the threats started when they attended Torbett’s second trial in 2018.
“One big man among Torbett’s supporters outside the court room even said out loud that my mother and me were ‘dirty lying bastards.’ This was in October 2018,” she recalls.
“This was his second conviction and there were still people turning up to support Torbett.”
Michelle Gray says she heard one of them say that Andy was also a ‘dirty lying bastard’ even though her brother was already dead.
Even after Torbett’s second conviction the Gray family say the online torment, social ostracisation and even vandalism directed at Michelle’s car is ongoing.
“When we went public and said we were joining the civil action against Celtic I received a death threat on the phone. The level of abuse on social media over the last few months has also been appalling.”
Celtic did not address specific questions the Guardian sent to it in relation to the forthcoming civil action, instead referring to a statement it first issued in February in relation to the accusations.
The statement said: “Celtic Football Club is appalled by any form of historic abuse and has great sympathy for those who suffered abuse and for their families. The Club is very sorry that these events took place. The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime. Unfortunately it has affected many areas of society.
“With regard to the allegations regarding historic abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club (which, so far as we have been made aware, relate to the period prior to 1997), although Celtic Football Club is a separate organisation, we take these extremely seriously because of the historic contacts between the two organisations. Police investigations were given support, so as to seek to ensure that those individuals who abused young people were brought to justice.”

Celtic sued by former boys' club player over sexual abuse
By Calum McKayBBC Scotland
  • 38 minutes ago
Image copyrightSNSImage captionCeltic has said it was separate from the boys club
A former youth footballer is suing Celtic FC over the sexual abuse he suffered while playing for Celtic Boys' Club.
Thompsons Solicitors has sent official papers on behalf of one client seeking damages from the Parkhead club.
The case will now be heard at the Court of Session in the coming months.
Celtic has said that while it shares "historic contacts" with the boys' club, the two are separate organisations.
Thompsons represents more than 20 survivors who allege they were abused at the boys' club - a closely-linked feeder club to the senior Celtic team - during the 1970s, 80s, and 90s.
This is the first "test case" the firm will bring to court.
In recent years, a number of former senior figures at the boys' club have been convicted of sexual crimes against young players in their care.
'Very sorry'
Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett was jailed in 2018 for abusing his position to groom and sexually assault several youths over two spells at the boys' club.
Last year, Jim McCafferty, a coach and kit man for Celtic's youth team who also worked for the boys' club, admitted a string of sexual offences against boys at both clubs.
Former boys' club manager Frank Cairney was also jailed in February last year.
Image captionCeltic Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett was jailed in 2018
This is the next step in civil cases for damages taken by Thompsons against Celtic.
The firm says the club is responsible for the abuse suffered by its clients.
Celtic has been approached for comment on the case brought by Thompsons.
In February, the club said it was "very sorry that these events took place" but has repeatedly said the club and the boys club are "entirely separate" organisations with "historic contacts".
Last year, Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell said that the club had been conducting its own investigations into the abuse scandal at the boys' club, with a "wholly independent and experienced lawyer" leading the work.
No findings of that investigation have yet been made public.
Thompsons says that the two clubs shared a name, crest, personnel, premises and players.
No resolution
Patrick McGuire, the solicitor representing survivors, described the new legal proceedings as "hugely significant " for survivors of historical abuse.
He said: "One the best known and celebrated football clubs in the world is now going to be held to account in civil court for decades of the most abhorrent sexual abuse of children.
"These young lads and their families put their complete trust in Celtic and their feeder organisation Celtic Boys' Club.
"That trust was betrayed over four decades by a succession of paedophiles that operated openly within Celtic."
Both sides have been in discussions over civil cases for more than a year but, with no resolution, the first case will now proceed to court in the coming months.
In August, it emerged that Celtic had paid out "significant" compensation after admitting liability in a separate case.
The recipient was a former youth player at the club who was sexually abused by Jim McCafferty.

From the Guardian online Australian edition this morning.

Child abuse victims to sue Celtic FC in landmark case
Civil action claims Scottish club failed to protect them from paedophiles working around Celtic Boys’ Club

Henry McDonald

A view of the Jock Stein statue outside Celtic Park. Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Victims of a number of paedophiles are to sue Celtic football club in a ground-breaking civil action amidst claims it failed to protect them from sex abusers working around Celtic Boys’ Club.
Three victim-survivors aim to use a civil trial to “knock down the defence wall” they say Celtic has erected in order to distance itself from the Boys’ Club, the Guardian has learnt.
The Glasgow-based team insist that Celtic Boys’ Club is a separate legal entity – a claim that those abused at the latter say only compounds the decades of hurt they have endured. The new Scottish Premiership champions have repeatedly made this claim in the Scottish media.
The victim-survivors hope their case will also shine light on the role played by a senior Celtic executive when one paedophile returned to the Boys’ Club after he had been allegedly sacked from it in 1974 by Jock Stein, the Glasgow side’s legendary European Cup winning manager.
Advertisement

A Guardian investigation has also uncovered allegations of threats, intimidation, vandalism and social media attacks on the family of one victim of the Celtic Boys’ Club abusers. There is no suggestion these incidents are linked to anyone connected to Celtic FC or the Boys’ Club.
Several victim-survivors have criticised the Scottish government for failing to set up an independent public inquiry into the abuse scandal that has shaken Celtic and Scottish football.
A Scottish government spokesperson said it has already established a wide ranging review into child abuse across Scotland.
“The Scottish government, having listened to the views of survivors, established one of the widest ranging public inquiries that Scotland has ever seen, into the abuse of children in care, focusing on the systemic institutional failures which saw many of our most vulnerable children, including those in the care of the state, abused by the very individuals who were there to care for them. We want that inquiry to be able to undertake its work in a timescale that can address the issues raised by survivors, many of whom are elderly,” it said.
Patrick McGuire, one of the lawyers for the 21 victim-survivors, describes Celtic’s argument that it was and is a separate legal entity from the Boys’ Club and is therefore not corporately responsible for the paedophiles crimes as “absolute nonsense.”
McGuire, a senior partner in Glasgow law firm Thompsons which is taking the civil action later this year on behalf of the victim-survivors, said:
“There is loads of evidence of scouts at Celtic finding young stars and telling them the route into the parent club is first to join the Boys’ Club.
“We have a copy of ‘Celtic View’ (the club’s official newspaper) which talks about the players of that week going from the senior team best player all the way down to the Boys’ Club. Their in-house newspaper talks about the Boys’ Club being ‘part of the Celtic family’ and Davy Hay, a former manager, described the youth side as the ‘base of the pyramid’ of the entire club.”
The abusers connected with Celtic Boys’ include multi-millionaire businessman James Torbett who helped set up the club in the late 1960s. He was sentenced for six years in November 2018 after the trial judge said he “used the club as a front for child sexual abuse.” Torbett was also jailed in 1998 for abusing young players between 1967 and 1974.
Another prominent management figure in Celtic Boys’ Club was the team’s former kitman Jim McCafferty. Last year the 73-year-old was found guilty of 12 sex abuse charges in relation to ten boys. McCafferty’s crimes stretched from 1972 to 1996. He was sentenced to six years and nine months in prison after admitting to all 12 charges.
At the time of his conviction in May 2019 McCafferty was already serving a prison sentence for the sexual abuse of a boy in Belfast. Four out of his 12 victims played for the Boys’ Club but others included boys from other football youth teams he ran in North Lanarkshire.
Several of these men’s victims went on to become senior professional players at Celtic, other Scottish premier league teams and for Scotland.
One of Torbett’s victims who has spoken out, David Gordon, says Celtic’s position that it was and remains a separate legal entity flies in the face of facts.
“We trained at Barrowfield (their training centre) and we actually played at Parkhead. I remember running out there as a 14-year-old in the hooped jersey before a Celtic v Rangers game in front of an 80,000 plus crowd. I remember we even swopped jerseys with a young Rangers kid on the pitch. Was I playing for a separate legal entity back then? They even used to get us at the Boys’ Club to sell the programmes during big matches.”
Families who have spoken out in favour of the civil action against Celtic have received physical and on-line threats over recent months.
Michelle Gray’s late brother Andrew revealed before he died in Australia that Torbett had sexually abused him when the paedophile was allowed back into the club in the mid 1980s. Michelle Gray and her mother Helene say the threats started when they attended Torbett’s second trial in 2018.
“One big man among Torbett’s supporters outside the court room even said out loud that my mother and me were ‘dirty lying bastards.’ This was in October 2018,” she recalls.
“This was his second conviction and there were still people turning up to support Torbett.”
Michelle Gray says she heard one of them say that Andy was also a ‘dirty lying bastard’ even though her brother was already dead.
Even after Torbett’s second conviction the Gray family say the online torment, social ostracisation and even vandalism directed at Michelle’s car is ongoing.
“When we went public and said we were joining the civil action against Celtic I received a death threat on the phone. The level of abuse on social media over the last few months has also been appalling.”
Celtic did not address specific questions the Guardian sent to it in relation to the forthcoming civil action, instead referring to a statement it first issued in February in relation to the accusations.
The statement said: “Celtic Football Club is appalled by any form of historic abuse and has great sympathy for those who suffered abuse and for their families. The Club is very sorry that these events took place. The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime. Unfortunately it has affected many areas of society.
“With regard to the allegations regarding historic abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club (which, so far as we have been made aware, relate to the period prior to 1997), although Celtic Football Club is a separate organisation, we take these extremely seriously because of the historic contacts between the two organisations. Police investigations were given support, so as to seek to ensure that those individuals who abused young people were brought to justice.”
BBC reporting this too

Back