Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

By way of background, this is a relatively new procedure introduced in the Court of Session in the last couple of years. Previously, these actions would either have had to have been raised separately and then conjoined for proof or as one "primary" action with the remaining pursuers entering process by way of minute. Raising an action in the Court of Session is not cheap and the process can be extremely off-putting even if those staff working in the Offices of Court in Edinburgh are as helpful and friendly as they are.

In terms of accessibility to justice I felt it was a good move when it was introduced and it will be interesting to see how it works in practice.
Could raising an action in this way be a bit risky.
If it fails due to a technically does that then affect all 25 cases in the same way.
Would they all still have the right of appeal individually or do they have to all stick together?

If it fails due to a technically does that then affect all 25 cases in the same way.
Would they all still have the right of appeal individually or do they have to all stick together?
Class actions have been available in the US for many years and this process was only introduced in Scotland last year

if they failed here I'm sure the victims could raise their actions for the goings on in the USA.

I'm not entirely sure. I would think that the appeal would have to come as a group but this procedure is new and therefore relatively untested. One could argue, without seeing the writs of course, that if the claims are similar enough in character to be grouped together, and they fall due to a finding in fact of the Court, then they would all fall as individual actions in any case.

I'm not entirely sure. I would think that the appeal would have to come as a group but this procedure is new and therefore relatively untested. One could argue, without seeing the writs of course, that if the claims are similar enough in character to be grouped together, and they fall due to a finding in fact of the Court, then they would all fall as individual actions in any case.
Thanks for the reply.
It worries me that it is new and therefore untested. The scum lawyers will be on the ball looking for technicalities to stall or stop the proceedings.

I hope the Spotlight team and yourself have some sort of counselling service at hand if required.
What you have undertaken is harrowing. You have my respect.
Looks like the dam is about to break.
Well done to everyone on the team.
Look after yourselves.
That’s a great point.
If this comes to an end, the Spotlight team plus GY plus BN plus every other helper are going to hit a wall.
You need to be aware of this and prepare for it.

More than 200,000 children sexually abused by French Catholic clergy, damning report finds​

This should have its own thread in The Lounge,
This isn’t the place for it.

Class actions have been available in the US for many years and this process was only introduced in Scotland last year

if they failed here I'm sure the victims could raise their actions for the goings on in the USA.
I’ve been a benefactor of many class action law suits over here over the years. Not big amounts, but given the number of participants in most of them, big totals. It’s very common practice. It’s very big business.

Crimes have been committed against children over many years and many knew what was going on and did and said nothing and went as far as to cover incidents up and further enable these abusers to continue. Some at the club even took directorships in P#1s trophy company and then rewarded themselves by giving a contract to P#1s business to supply CFC with his tacky plastic trinkets and reaped the rewards while knowing full well what was going on at CBC.

These men must be pulled in and interviewed by the police under caution.

This should have its own thread in The Lounge,
This isn’t the place for it.
I disagree. Not trying to start a conversation on the issue in France or distract from the thread, but the more people see it, the better. Not hidden away in the lounge.

Whether it be France, Boston, New Jersey, Canada, or the east end of Glasgow, there is always one common theme, which I am sure I don’t need to point out.

As I said in another thread, can the prosecution vet the jury list like they do in the U.S.?

I hope so, i don't want another Craig Whyte et al type shambles. This is too important to f**k up.

I see this is now on the BBC Scotland news page, but not the top story. According to this article, the Rhats basically deny all knowledge and claim the boys club, which they also claim has nothing to do with them, does not exist anymore.
Didn’t they just change the name of the boys club ?
They did to St.Patricks AND paid them to do it even though they are nothing to do with them

I wish them the best of luck.

But there’s no way in the cesspit of Scotland that this ends in damages paid.

On another thread recently I regrettably had a bit of a let’s say disagreement with a nationalist openly.
I don’t usually lower myself to their level but sometimes like you say they make your blood boil.
To put nationalist votes before humanity is criminal. They have let down each and every victim and family member and I hope that’s what they are remembered for along with their other failures.
I love my country. I fought for it, but I hate what it has become. It breaks my heart if the truth be told.
I’ve held and aimed a rifle. I never thought I’d want to do that in my own country. We need to rid Scotland of this poison.
Well said BN94 , What a sad shower of sh*t we have running the Country now , no attempt whatsoever from them to get an honest inquiry into the suffering of the victims . Pathetic :mad: .

Was discussed today very briefly on the PLZ Football Show on YouTube... starts 22 minutes in.
Apologies as not able to download the segment.

Report just been on Sky News. Couldnt believe my ears but I'm pretty sure the report culminates in a statement to the effect that 'Celtic & Celtic Boys Club do not have a formal affiliation'.

Reporter at pains to emphasise the 'do not'.

Thought it was a risky and potentially prejudicial comment for them to make in relation to a pending legal case. So taken aback I'll need to listen again to check my ears were working properly.

Report just been on Sky News. Couldnt believe my ears but I'm pretty sure the report culminates in a statement to the effect that 'Celtic & Celtic Boys Club do not have a formal affiliation'.

Reporter at pains to emphasise the 'do not'.

Thought it was a risky and potentially prejudicial comment for them to make in relation to a pending legal case. So taken aback I'll need to listen again to check my ears were working properly.
This claim that they “do not have a formal affiliation” is what the lawyer’s will expose at trial and people will be in no doubt

This claim that they “do not have a formal affiliation” is what the lawyer’s will expose at trial and people will be in no doubt
The point is why are Sky reporting this as a fact when it is central to the law suit? Who is feeding them that line? It is hugely prejudicial to the case that this is being broadcast on national TV and radio. :mad:

Last edited:
Back