Chris Jack - "Aston Villa on course to name Rangers boss Steven Gerrard as manager"

He will be. Thats the whole reason he is going to Villa.

Purslow will have gave securitys about that.

Some of the Villa fans are unsettled with Purslow as it is if he’s going down which I think he will he will be chased and will have no commute time

Please go down

on the Liverpool point

assuming Gerrard does end up there - they must be delighted that they are now looking at paying out EPL compo to get him rather than SPL compo
Why would they have to pay compo. If true its a contract to the same time that Klopp is expected to leave Liverpool.

This all seems like it's been a set up.

on the Liverpool point

assuming Gerrard does end up there - they must be delighted that they are now looking at paying out EPL compo to get him rather than SPL compo
If its a 2.5 Yr deal he'll be leaving Villa on a free when Klopp finishes at Liverpool. Surely Villa fans will be raging at that

Our next game is a semi final. Its either going to be a new managers first game or taken by a caretaker manager. Not ideal.

Our board are a joke, 3-4 mil compo, can't even get that right, only money we have made this year is from our coaching team and a pittance at that. 4 poxy million for a a season that could net us 30million. Unbelievable.

Typically Scouse behaviour in the end. Thanks for 55 and stabilizing our club but your actions are scum behaviour.

Reactions: BWO
If its a 2.5 Yr deal he'll be leaving Villa on a free when Klopp finishes at Liverpool. Surely Villa fans will be raging at that
More chance of us winning the Champions League than any manager lasting 2.5 years at Villa. And that’s not a slight on Gerrard.

Compensation includes Gary Mac. SSN expect the rest of the backroom staff to go with him.
£3-4million for them to wipe out our whole backroom team. Right down to the head of sports science. We have a massive rebuilding job behind the scenes in terms of the playing side. Not just a case of replacing the manager.

I agree it looks that way, which makes Gerrards comments after the Ross County game even more disappointing, talking about players keeping an eye on the next Rangers game as that was the most important thing……………clearly not!
When I think about those comments now I think he was saying it in the context of knowing he was leaving. Saying the players need to stay focussed no matter what i.e when he leaves. He knew he was going when he said it imo.

Typically Scouse behaviour in the end. Thanks for 55 and stabilizing our club but your actions are scum behaviour.
TBH and I'll stand corrected on this but my recollection of the time he was nearly leaving Liverpool for Chelsea are that he took some severe abuse from the Liverpool support about they way he went about it, also did some gangster not have a word in his ear and he suddenly changed his mind?

What I'm saying is maybe we really shouldn't be surprised at his hallow sound bites and follow up actions.

Surprised at that. Not a great start for him already

42519645-7638-44-DC-A284-B25392066576.png

Least the expectations aren’t too high for him

Similar to Howe at Newcastle. They're not giving you hundreds of millions to finish 15th. There'll be expectation
Definitely, i think Gerrard has hunger and desire and will believe in himself that he can put Villa up into the european spots after a couple transfer windows. Best of luck to him i guess.

TBH and I'll stand corrected on this but my recollection of the time he was nearly leaving Liverpool for Chelsea are that he took some severe abuse from the Liverpool support about they way he went about it, also did some gangster not have a word in his ear and he suddenly changed his mind?

What I'm saying is maybe we really shouldn't be surprised at his hallow sound bites and follow up actions.
Its always amazed me how grown adults fawn over footballers and managers.

Yeah, they can be hero's but they way a lot of folk look up to them for some moral compass is bizarre.

Your modern day footballer has only one priority, earn ££££££ in such a short career.

Aye, hands up I got it wrong. Genuinely thought he wouldn't leave at this stage, not after just one trophy when another was weeks away. I thought he had a lot more to achieve/prove. But at least we had a manager people cared about and wanted, it's been a rather long time since that has happened.

He's taken a big risk and as have AV, all the best to them but I cannot pretend I will give a monkeys about their results.

Gio sounds good, thankfully that Russel Martin pish has been put to bed. Derek McInnes should be restrained for the next week or so, just incase the board get tempted.

Is there an obvious interim? I cannot think of one

Similar to Howe at Newcastle. They're not giving you hundreds of millions to finish 15th. There'll be expectation

Howe is buying into his job he’s moving his family to Newcastle - he says it’s the only way it works.

Take note Gerrard take note

Liverpool 3/4 times a week for the last 5 months is probably the reason we have been rotten this season.

Get him to F

McInnes is out of work, knows the club and is experienced. He'll be high on their list I would guarantee it which is a sobering thought. We need to be brave with our next appointment but I don't trust that we will.

I think although GVB will have a section who doubt him (there's always a group of fans that never take to a manager, including SG) he would get huge backing from the fans as we've been successful with the Dutch approach. He was an unbelievable player for us too and also knows the club.

I hope your wrong and i am fairly certain that Ross Wilson will have a list of available / Managers who would come managers and I would like to hope McInnes isnt anywhere near the top of that ... if he is ... then we have big big problems.

My disappointment with Gerrard is around the timing of his departure. I know football works differently and you can’t plan when opportunities arise but it’s the thought of us losing an entire back room team, not just a manager, that troubles me. However, we move on. I view his time as a success based on winning 1 out of 3 league titles given that he had to rebuild us at a time when Celtic were dominant. Europe also has to be considered a success despite not making it through to the CL this season which he has to shoulder a large part of the blame. Domestic cups have been a shocker we all agree I think. Overall it’s thanks for your efforts. I’ll remember his time here well once the dust settles. AV are probably the size of club I though he would leave for and while I wish him luck, I’ve no interest in what he does down there good or bad. It’s all about where we go next. Could be good, could be bad. Whoever we get in will get my full backing even if it’s someone less fanciable. If I had a choice, GVB for me but we’ll wait and see. Gonna be an interesting few weeks that’s for sure.

Howe is buying into his job he’s moving his family to Newcastle - he says it’s the only way it works.

Liverpool 3/4 times a week for the last 5 months is probably the reason we have been rotten this season.

Get him to F
Is that what he was doing? No wonder we were playing the way we were then.

Rodgers had won two trebles and got them into the Champions League I'm sure?

Yip and Gerrard has won us the league, got us pumped out of semi's and quarters regularly and got us pumped out of the CL in a game we should've won and most fans could see issues with our set up in the first half of that second leg and our manager chose not to make changes until the 70th minute, about 10-15 mins after they had scored their second.

Gerrard still has a lot to learn and prove and he should've stayed here to do that and win things. Now he has settled for middle table mediocrity or a potential relegation battle. I actually hope they do get relegated because I actually don't like Villa that much especially after having managers like Lambert and O'Neill.

The fact that over the past few week McInnes has spoken favourably about us is beginning to make sense now.

Get tae %^*&.

We need someone of the same caliber of name as Gerrard, someone who is going to command respect of the players because of what they have achieved in the game as a player. Someone who demands high standards.

Unfortunately there are not a lot out there like that, other than John Terry, Frank Lampard, Gio. All who have still not proved themselves to be great managers.

Get him to F
Is that right it was 3/4 times a week?

Back