Copa Libertadores 2022 + All Things SA Football

FToMMGXXsAIBOKN

Draw for the last 16 of the Libertadores.

Interesting ties for Boca and River, but undoubtedly Pedro Caixinha is going to lead Talleres to Libertadores glory.

FTx3xLQXoAEImlW

Draw for the last 16 of the Libertadores.

Interesting ties for Boca and River, but undoubtedly Pedro Caixinha is going to lead Talleres to Libertadores glory.

FTx3xLQXoAEImlW

Palmeiras will be delighted with their half of the draw.

On the other side, a potential QF of Boca-Flamengo then SF of Boca-River, unless Pedro works his magic.

Palmeiras will be delighted with their half of the draw.

On the other side, a potential QF of Boca-Flamengo then SF of Boca-River, unless Pedro works his magic.

Palmeiras couldn't have hand picked an easier draw. Incredible on how it panned out. Will be tough for the Argie clubs.

Talleres won today. Strange seeing Pedro on the sidelines. Will be interesting to see how he does.

For those not aware, this is how the draw for the Libertadores will work out:

FTx00V8XEAAoq6R

Argentina 5-0 Estonia in Spain earlier today, Messi scores all five.

An outsider for the World Cup? Certainly it’s the best mood in the camp for a while and they are now scoring goals.

Peru 1-0 New Zealand in a friendly. Peru waiting on the winners of Australia-UAE for their World Cup play-off.

Palmeiras couldn't have hand picked an easier draw. Incredible on how it panned out. Will be tough for the Argie clubs.

Talleres won today. Strange seeing Pedro on the sidelines. Will be interesting to see how he does.

For those not aware, this is how the draw for the Libertadores will work out:

FTx00V8XEAAoq6R

I haven’t read anything on Pedro’s appointment. It seems such an odd one. I hope he does well.

Argentina 5-0 Estonia in Spain earlier today, Messi scores all five.

An outsider for the World Cup? Certainly it’s the best mood in the camp for a while and they are now scoring goals.

Peru 1-0 New Zealand in a friendly. Peru waiting on the winners of Australia-UAE for their World Cup play-off.

Still think they are behind Brazil and the best of the Europeans, but that's 33 matches unbeaten so can no longer be taken lightly. Certainly potential winners.

Still think they are behind Brazil and the best of the Europeans, but that's 33 matches unbeaten so can no longer be taken lightly. Certainly potential winners.

I didn’t realise it was that many unbeaten.

Notwithstanding the issues with Qatar, I’m intrigued by a mid-season tournament and having fresher players. We may see more of Messi than we would after a full season.

USA 0-0 Uruguay after an hour in a current friendly.

Another IDV alumni moves to Europe. This time Anthony Valencia going to Antwerp.

Ad Libertad's Julio Enciso moves to Brighton.

Red Bull Bragantino have offered $11m plus add ons for Colón star Facundo Farías. Boca and River were supposedly interested in the 19 y/o.

That sounds a lot for a Brazilian club to pay.

I didn’t know Red Bull had a team presence in Brazil, discovering it only recently with a report that Everton were interested in their midfielder Eric Ramires.

Makes a lot of sense for RB, though.

@drgriffen Just been looking at the Argentine set up on Wiki there and Jesus they don’t make it easy. On the relegation info it seems to take in to account the points total from the last competition, but wiki makes it sound as if it’s a totally different competition to the Primera. Are you able to explain what tournaments are considered the “top league” and what points total goes towards relegation?

For example, it says Tigre are newly promoted, but the relegation aggregate table seems to take in to account their points gained in 2022 Copa de la Liga Profesional first stage. Is that considered the last top flight division played?

Also anyone know how Yeferson Soteldo got on in MLS and now in Mexico? Enjoyed watching him when FreeSports showed the Brazilian league but not sure if that’s just because he stood out due to his size.

Also anyone know how Yeferson Soteldo got on in MLS and now in Mexico? Enjoyed watching him when FreeSports showed the Brazilian league but not sure if that’s just because he stood out due to his size.
Was okay at Toronto but they were really poor, think they only finished above Cincinnati who were competing in the league for the first time.

I didn’t know Red Bull had a team presence in Brazil, discovering it only recently with a report that Everton were interested in their midfielder Eric Ramires.

It is but if Red Bull are backing you then it may be worth the risk. I imagine they are looking to use the same model as Salzburg.

Also, this is the reported bid. Who knows if it accurate?

@drgriffen Just been looking at the Argentine set up on Wiki there and Jesus they don’t make it easy. On the relegation info it seems to take in to account the points total from the last competition, but wiki makes it sound as if it’s a totally different competition to the Primera. Are you able to explain what tournaments are considered the “top league” and what points total goes towards relegation?

For example, it says Tigre are newly promoted, but the relegation aggregate table seems to take in to account their points gained in 2022 Copa de la Liga Profesional first stage. Is that considered the last top flight division played?

Yes, the Copa de Liga was seen as the equivalent as the Primera.

They use a weighted points system based over 3 years (Promedios) for relegation. Although there isn't always relegation - depends how they are restructuring the league for the next season. Simple. :D

These are all the relevant tables:

Ended up being bought by an investment group.

I know this has happened previously, players usually end up in Portugal, but it is highly dubious.

Argie clubs still able to churn these players out, though.

Ended up being bought by an investment group.

I know this has happened previously, players usually end up in Portugal, but it is highly dubious.

Argie clubs still able to churn these players out, though.

Do the investment group remain as a agent once the player finds a club or are they purely the salesmen in this instance? I wonder how much of the player's future earnings is given up. All a little unsavoury, it really is player = commodity.

South America will always produce players as it's seen as a viable way out of poverty. I was reading the background story on Darwin Nunez and he came from very humble beginnings - his brother gave up on his career to allow DN to try to fulfill his potential.

Do the investment group remain as a agent once the player finds a club or are they purely the salesmen in this instance? I wonder how much of the player's future earnings is given up. All a little unsavoury, it really is player = commodity.

South America will always produce players as it's seen as a viable way out of poverty. I was reading the background story on Darwin Nunez and he came from very humble beginnings - his brother gave up on his career to allow DN to try to fulfill his potential.

No idea how it will work with this deal.

Previously, players have been moved to a club (Benfica, Porto etc...) who get him like a loan signing. The idea being they get a good player, who they develop, and the investment company get to showcse the player in a better league so they can get a bigger transfer fee.

No doubt there are variations on this.

The story of Nunez, and others, is why I'll never be critical of players from SA who chase the money. At times they are doing more for their local community than the UK equivalent of the local council. Must be tough for those young men (and hopefully soon women).

They use a weighted points system based over 3 years (Promedios) for relegation. Although there isn't always relegation - depends how they are restructuring the league for the next season. Simple. :D
I believe this was initiated to stop the chances of one the 'big 5' being relegated. Didn't work, River Plate were eventually relegated anyway.

Not too sure if you've already covered this @drgriffen

Yeah, mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but always happy to see others posting news. I miss plenty. :D

Looks like Brighton will be targeting this market with the recent signings of MacAllister and Caicedo. Will be surprised if we see a lot of Enciso this season, though.

Yeah
Yeah, mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but always happy to see others posting news. I miss plenty. :D

Looks like Brighton will be targeting this market with the recent signings of MacAllister and Caicedo. Will be surprised if we see a lot of Enciso this season, though.
Yeah don't think we will see him at Brighton next season. They probably loan him out like they did Moisés Caicedo. Good to see more south Americans in the PL though.

Back