Euro 2020 England V Croatia | KIck off 2pm | Live BBC One - No Borna

I think Lineker and Shearer are deluding themselves if they think this was an ‘ impressive’ England performance. Belgium and Italy were impressive, but England were most certainly not.
And Sterling most certainly was not ‘ brilliant ‘. Ok, he actually scored, but he was his usual big game invisible man for the most part. He is ‘ brilliant ‘ though against the likes of Burnley and Newcastle.

Borna Barisic Croatia absence explained after Rangers defender a shock miss against England​

Despite regularly starting for his country the Ibrox ace was a notable absentee from the Group D opener.

Gutted Borna Barisic suffered a blow to his Euro 2020 hopes after he missed Croatia's opener against England.
The Rangers star was expected to start for his country at Wembley having started the last Euro 2020 warm-up match against Belgium.
He was replaced at half-time by Josko Gvadiol and the Dinamo Zagreb kid impressed following the break.

Question marks had the surround Zlatko Dalić's decision with the first-choice left-back missing out on the 23-man squad completely.
However, it now appears that niggling injuries are keeping the Ibrox favourite out of the squad
Dalic told HRT : "Barisic has had problems with injuries for the last ten days, Guardiol is now the most prepared."

Croatia's Borna Barisic (left) and manager Zlatko Dalic during the training session at Wembley Stadium

Croatia's Borna Barisic (left) and manager Zlatko Dalic during the training session at Wembley Stadium (Image: PA)

Barisic had missed the final two league games of the campaign having picked up a knock in the final clash of the season against Celtic.
He was forced off in the closing stages of Rangers ’ 4-1 derby day win with the countdown but has played two warm-up friendlies for his national side.

It is now a waiting game to see if he will be fit to face the Czech Republic and Scotland in the final Group D game at Hampden.

Watching the pundits on ITV and discussing the atmosphere saying it was excellent

I thought it was quite quiet in comparison to some of the other games I’ve seen with limited crowds

Croatia were poor

Gary lineker said we can’t play this result down as Croatia have some of the best players in the world

%^*& knows who he was talking about except from Modric

Ivan Perisic, Kovacic and Brozovic aren't bad players. Caleta-Car from Marseille is an excellent defender too.

We'll see how poor Croatia are when they travel to Hampden.

Never understand people getting their knickers in a twist at pundits being excited at their team winning their first match at the start of a major tournament. It would be the same up here if we weren't so shite.

imagine Rangers winning the league and Tom Miller and Kevin Thomson telling us to settle down. They're only there to analyse the game etc etc. Not allowed to get carried away. :))

The tartan army, if we are talking about the kilt wearing, timberland boot wearing, glengarry wearing, doe a deer singing, Rangers player hating, diddy club supporters, are 100% cringe merchants

The general Scotland support not so much

Vast majority of boys that I know, that go everywhere with Scotland and wear the kilts etc really couldn’t care less about Rangers or any other team apart from there own.

Tbh, for most of them, Scotland is their team.

Last edited:
It's always like this when England play. It's like they think that English commentators broadcasting to an 80% English audience shouldn't have the effrontery to celebrate any English success for fear of offending the serial under achievers.
What gets to me is, time after time people go on about how the media up here dont get behind Rangers, especially in europe, yet in England they get behind them all, but this is a problem.

In fact, it was the english coverage of us on our run to the uefa cup final, that showed up the small mindedness of this country.

Last edited:
Ivan Perisic, Kovacic and Brozovic aren't bad players. Caleta-Car from Marseille is an excellent defender too.

We'll see how poor Croatia are when they travel to Hampden.
Certainly not the best players in the world though, not even close.
But that's typical English arrogant thinking justifying poor performances and making out they are world beaters by hook or crook.

Vast majority of boys that I know, that go everywhere with Scotland and wear the kilts etc really couldn’t care less about Rangers or any other team apart from there own.

Tbh, for most of them, Scotland are their team.
These boys you know who ostentatiously follow Scotland, not any other team and wear all the highland gear, they're pretty much all Nats aren't they?

They’re really not anything like that to as many, as people on here would have you believe.
Grown men showing their arse in public and urinating in public places is embarrassing, having a hatred for England is ridiculous that's the Tartan Army for you. Although I appreciate that not all who follow Scotland aren't all Tartan Army members

Nee bother. We'll see how poor Croatia are when they're at Hampden.
There's a fair range to go from being a fair bit off world class, to being poor enough that Scotland would give them a doing. Scotland are poor, we know it. We're not going to go and beat a team who have worse players than us and then claim the opposition are full of world class players, so we're world beaters.

Ferdinand creating new idioms there when talking about Mings' defending skills, he said "that is food and drink for him" I think he meant to say "that is bread and butter for him".
I think you either say meat and drink, food and water or bread and butter .

imagine Rangers winning the league and Tom Miller and Kevin Thomson telling us to settle down. They're only there to analyse the game etc etc. Not allowed to get carried away. :))

Would be an apt comparison if England could actually win something.

On a side note there’s Scots on here I’m shocked haven’t went south of the border such is their love of all things English and absolute dislike for anything with a tinge of Scot. These threads really do bring some comedy gold B-D

Shearer, Lineker et al should be pleased, their team won the game, but there was definitely some real jobby polishing going on with regards to the performance itself and the true quality of the side they faced. But honestly I feel like I should paste all this into a word document and just dig it out for each tournament because it’s the same song and dance every time.

If that’s the case, then you’ve summed up well why the tartan army are cringe merchants with a mediocrity complex.

Different strokes for different folks.

They spend a lot of their cash following Scotland, wouldn’t be me but I respect their commitment.

Borna Barisic Croatia absence explained after Rangers defender a shock miss against England​

Despite regularly starting for his country the Ibrox ace was a notable absentee from the Group D opener.

Gutted Borna Barisic suffered a blow to his Euro 2020 hopes after he missed Croatia's opener against England.
The Rangers star was expected to start for his country at Wembley having started the last Euro 2020 warm-up match against Belgium.
He was replaced at half-time by Josko Gvadiol and the Dinamo Zagreb kid impressed following the break.

Question marks had the surround Zlatko Dalić's decision with the first-choice left-back missing out on the 23-man squad completely.
However, it now appears that niggling injuries are keeping the Ibrox favourite out of the squad
Dalic told HRT : "Barisic has had problems with injuries for the last ten days, Guardiol is now the most prepared."

Croatia's Borna Barisic (left) and manager Zlatko Dalic during the training session at Wembley Stadium's Borna Barisic (left) and manager Zlatko Dalic during the training session at Wembley Stadium

Croatia's Borna Barisic (left) and manager Zlatko Dalic during the training session at Wembley Stadium (Image: PA)

Barisic had missed the final two league games of the campaign having picked up a knock in the final clash of the season against Celtic.
He was forced off in the closing stages of Rangers ’ 4-1 derby day win with the countdown but has played two warm-up friendlies for his national side.

It is now a waiting game to see if he will be fit to face the Czech Republic and Scotland in the final Group D game at Hampden.
Hope he makes it I have tickets to Scotland v Croatia lol

Imagine Rangers beat a team we are expected to beat in the CL Qualifier, say Midtjylland as we have a chance to meet them, we play pretty poorly in a really door game but sneak a 1-0. Then Tom Miller and Kevin Thomson are on the TV telling everyone that Rangers have just beaten a team full of world class players and we have a real chance of winning the CL.

Last edited:
Good start for England.

Getting first game out the way. Points on the board. Keep building. Get momentum going. No team peaks in the first game ffs. Will top the group comfortably and then the real stuff starts.

Certainly capable of winning this thing. And I hope they do.
Were we watching a different match? They got the points but certainly didn’t play that well. Italy and Belgium already have looked much better and France, Germany and Portugal are still to come.

There's a fair range to go from being a fair bit off world class, to being poor enough that Scotland would give them a doing. Scotland are poor, we know it. We're not going to go and beat a team who have worse players than us and then claim the opposition are full of world class players, so we're world beaters.

Imagine thinking that the World Cup semi finalists have no right to think they MIGHT have a chance of winning the Euros. :))

Imagine thinking we shouldn't enjoy a win against the World Cup finalists in a major comp. :))

Were we watching a different match? They got the points but certainly didn’t play that well. Italy and Belgium already have looked much better and France, Germany and Portugal are still to come.

Italy beat Turkey who couldn't get over the half way line. Belgium beat Russia! England beat the World Cup finalists.

Does the whole "the opposition were shite" thing only apply to England?

Leeds fans better get ready to go mental at Kalvin Phillips inevitable move to Man Utd this summer :D
Next summer after winning the EPL with Leeds Yorkshire's Pirlo will no doubt be a target for PSG and Bayern.
Meanwhile Liverpool and Manure can GTF.

Imagine thinking that the World Cup semi finalists have no right to think they MIGHT have a chance of winning the Euros. :))

Imagine thinking we shouldn't enjoy a win against the World Cup finalists in a major comp. :))
What quality sides did they beat to get to the Semi final, or did they have a lucky draw then fall to pieces as soon as they came up against anything decent?

Italy beat Turkey who couldn't get over the half way line. Belgium beat Russia! England beat the World Cup finalists.

Russia are pish. Turkey are actually a decent side but just performed poorly, Italy dominated them. Croatia have been on the decline side the world cup tbf.

Anyone who has watched Croatia since their appearance at the WC final could tell you that England absolutely should be beating them. They’re very mediocre.

Opposition were shite in those matches as well. But Italy were attacking and threatening the whole match and Belgium had a more attacking presence than England did and their 2 best players didn’t start. England did not look today like they could beat any of the teams I mentioned.

At least VAR hasn't been the talking point in any of the games thus far. Not sure what that says other than a lot of it has been played at testimonial pace with very little penalty box action.

Opposition were shite in those matches as well. But Italy were attacking and threatening the whole match and Belgium had a more attacking presence than England did and their 2 best players didn’t start. England did not look today like they could beat any of the teams I mentioned.

I'm sure England would have looked class if they were playing Turkey camped in their own half.

Back