Is Morelos a Rangers legend?

Ability, discipline, professsionalism, desire to leave, letting the team down. Short memories some folk. Is Jelavic or Boyd a legend?

Course they aren't, Morelos has never played in sides as good as either did when playing for strong sides either, he played in a side who had to drag themselves up.

A hell of lot of people would class Gazza and Goram as legends, neither often lived at the absolute peak of discipline and professionalism, Laudrup showed a desire to leave, some people do have short memories.

Yes, but perhaps not for a reason many would think of.

Mind when we were all told our grandkids would be Celtic fans? For a chap of my age who was born in the 80's and a 90's kid I was absolutely spoilt for choice. Top drawer players left right and center. Meanwhile I had to start taking my kids to Rangers games when we had players like.... I don't even want to name them. But in the 17/18 season, Alfredo was a proper ray of sunshine. I know my kids weren't the only ones who idolized him.

From the day he signed, from when we were hopeless, progressing and then champions - there has been 1 single consistent - Morelos goals.

For so many of our young fans, they couldn't latch on to players the way we did when we were young - as the players they had were either absolutely rotten or there was such a massive quick turnover of players and nobody hung around. For so many young fans Tav and Morelos were vital in forging the next generation of fans as they were the only constant from when we were on our arse to reclaiming our place as champions of Scotland.

Massive player for us, and a legend to an entire generation of our support.

Saw this and thought it was an interesting shout. I'd say he definitely is but I know there's a lot of people who might not share that opinion.

Well Kris Boyd isnt apparently depite winning 6 major trophies at Rangers, being the league's top scorer on 5 occasions, the top scorer for the league in the SPL era

So I can quite imagine a few nutjobs would disagree with Alfie being held in any kind of esteem too

The team is legendary. Shagger n Davies I'd probably put up there. Wouldnt say the rest are yet.

Well Kris Boyd isnt apparently depite winning 6 major trophies at Rangers, being the league's top scorer on 5 occasions, the top scorer for the league in the SPL era

So I can quite imagine a few nutjobs would disagree with Alfie being held in any kind of esteem too
Depends how you define legend really

Plenty will agree or disagree for either of those players being Rangers legends.

For me both are heroes of the generation that watched them and Alfredo is imo the first proper Rangers hero for a lot of young fans. So that makes him a Rangers hero for me as well as the record he holds, the 100 goals and being part of the 55 winning team.

However clearly neither are on the same level as the likes of McCoist, Greig, DJ etc so if that is your definition of legend then no.

Last edited:
He's 3 goals away from Kenny Miller's goal record in less games. He's closing in on Mark Hateley's goal record in around the same games. Taking away any controversial opinions, are Hateley and Miller greats or legends? Of course
Miller is a great, Hateley is a legend.

Depends on your personal level of bar for the word “legend”. If you consider the likes of Boyd and Mols legends then Morelos probably is.

If you reserve “legend” for those of the McCoist, Greig, Laudrup ilk etc then clearly he is not yet.

The whole 55 squad are legends corporately. Of this squad only McGregor is arguably close to being a Rangers legend based on individual excellence.

It takes more than 1 trophy and even 100 goals to be a legend at this club! It’s rarefied air. Greig, Jardine, McCoist, Laudrup, Cooper, Shaw, Struth, Smith these are Rangers legends.

There is a tier bellow legend call it hall of gamer if you like that many greats and cult heroes belong to. I love Alfie but if you are calling him a Rangers legend you are under 30 or have forgotten the scale and history of the club you support.

Last edited:
Not for me but perhaps that’s down to me growing up during the late 80s and 90s watching legends like Gough, Goram, McCoist, Laudrup, Gazza etc.

He’s been an unreal signing in terms of only paying £1m given his goal return.

Last seasons squad that won 55 and stopped their 10 will always be special but I guess I view a legend as an extraordinary player that’s won a lot of trophies with us.

Is Morelos an extraordinary player? IMO no. Great value for money but to date we’ve had half of every season good, half of every season mince/average at best.

I’d class him at the same level as Novo in terms of being a fan favourite, scored plenty of massive goals for us but is a level below being deemed worthy of legend status
Just a level below despite being mince?:))

I'm 25 and he's probably my favourite Rangers player ever. I'd imagine that would be similar for many my age and younger.

Can you explain how he isn't?
I know you’re very much a Morelos fan that cannot accept any other differing views

But here’s a few reasons.

-he’s yet to perform well for a full season since joining us

-he’s only won 1 trophy in his time here

-he’s not a world class player or even a level below that level.

Just a level below despite being mince?:))
As I’ve repeatedly said, when he’s on his game he’s a cracking player

But we’ve yet to see that level over a full season, half a season we get at most

And when I said a level below, I meant in terms of where I regard our players in terms of their legacy, not ability.

For example, Laudrup etc is levels above Novo and Morelos in terms of ability. But I view Laudrup and co as proper club legends and Morelos/Novo for example the next level down

Wow, steady on there

Achieved far, far more in Europe despite playing in a worse team.

Arrived and played for a worse team that won a league title.

The context, arrival and expectations of both signings has to be taken into consideration.

I am clearly not for a second saying Morelos was a better player than Gascoigne in terms of talent, but what he has achieved with us is far more admirable for me

The context, arrival and expectations of both signings has to be taken into consideration.

I am clearly not for a second saying Morelos was a better player than Gascoigne in terms of talent, but what he has achieved with us is far more admirable for me
Gazza played for us in the CL against some of the best sides in Europe

Morelos has only ever played for us in the Europa League so what you’re comparing isn’t really fair

I know you’re very much a Morelos fan that cannot accept any other differing views

But here’s a few reasons.

-he’s yet to perform well for a full season since joining us

-he’s only won 1 trophy in his time here

-he’s not a world class player or even a level below that level.

He scored 30 and 29 goals in a season for us

He has played in a fair few teams who were dogshit and coming from a place of disadvantage most Rangers players haven't face, had he taken the role of Durie for instance I would happily bet he would have won numerous titles and trophies, so that alone isn't something I take entirely serious personally.

We have barely had any World Class players in the last 30 years.

Gazza was a major part of the 9iar team and scored goals to win cup finals.

I love Alfie but Gazza would be miles infront of him for me.

We are all entitled to our own opinions though.:)

Gazza played for us in the CL against some of the best sides in Europe

Morelos has only ever played for us in the Europa League so what you’re comparing isn’t really fair

He was a player signed to help us compete at that level, we didn't.

I would say comparing Morelos trophy haul v that of others isn't entirely fair.

Yes, I think he probably is, or at least will be in the fullness of time.

In a period where we had little to get excited about he provided a genuine breath of fresh air. 100 goals in just four years and a player who’s been utterly pivotal to our relative renaissance in Europe and the recapture of our place at the top of Scottish football once again.

As a poster above said, all of last season’s side will be revered as legends in years to come and Alfredo is rightly at the top of that tree.

Gazza was a major part of the 9iar team and scored goals to win cup finals.

I love Alfie but Gazza would be miles infront of him for me.

We are all entitled to our own opinions though.:)

He scored goals to win a Cup Final, Morelos has scored goals to take us to levels in Europe. If we win the league this year, there is very little competition between the two for me.

Alfredo Morleos is 100% a rangers legend. On the topic of kenny miller albeit having scored some great goals agaisnt that mob he will never be a legend in my eyes playing for the green and grey

Good to see Trotter making an absolute arse of himself again. Anyone challenges him, even someone who’s previously criticised Morelos, and it’s “I know you can’t accept any criticism of Morelos”. Like really boring broken record with views that wouldn’t look out a place sat next to a Bill Leckie article.

Heres the thing. One day all of us will be gone and all of the minor detractions you can accuse him off will die with us.

All that will be left, will be his legacy. A legacy that shows him as one our greatest European goalscorers of all time (greatest at this moment in time). A legacy that shows he won 55 after the most tumultuous period in our history and a legacy shows he has scored 100 goals for the club.

Sounds like he will be a legend one day, to me.

Back