Max Lowe a target for Rangers

You’re one of the posters I watch for in tactics discussions, I have others for other stuff like financial, as yours is an opinion I respect.
I’ve watched Aberdeen games but and he never stood out very much, except, maybe, when we made it easy for their whole defence.
When we’re linked with a player, or he’s highlighted by pals or on here, I try to watch him and not just the game.
Even watching the limited view of the television!
No chance of that with Lowe though.
Maybe a bit of YouTube on my time off is as far as it’ll go.
Like you perhaps, need to trust the management.

Too many occasions now where I've been excited by a player, or believed he'll struggle, and been completely wrong for me to even bother trying to judge how they'll do! :-D

I'm firmly of the view that Barisic and Grezda should be persevered with as we spent decent money and we can't keep ditching projects after such a short time. If Lowe is coming in on loan, it really does suggest Barisic is away, and on the evidence we have I believe that's a downgrade for a player we may not even be able to keep.

Too many occasions now where I've been excited by a player, or believed he'll struggle, and been completely wrong for me to even bother trying to judge how they'll do! :-D

I'm firmly of the view that Barisic and Grezda should be persevered with as we spent decent money and we can't keep ditching projects after such a short time. If Lowe is coming in on loan, it really does suggest Barisic is away, and on the evidence we have I believe that's a downgrade for a player we may not even be able to keep.
Can’t argue with any of that.
I’d like to see more opportunity for Barisic but I’ve never been sold on Grezda despite Panucci’s recommendation.

Looks a good player to me and could develop at Rangers the same way Kamara has. Would put money on this thread being bumped in a years time with a lot of people having egg on their face.

There is nothing wrong with variation in players or situations changing.

It isn't totally out of the question Flannagan has changed minds, established the idea he can play LB and be seen a viable option there - he though isn't a player for all occasions, there are games when two offence full backs are needed to change the shape of the team and offer another problem to a side we are playing.

The two as a pair seem a pretty decent one and two option.

We've got two LB's, Halliday can also fill in there. The next one has to be better than them all - finding a player who's better defensively than Flanagan will take a bit of scouting.
Flanagan and Halliday then surely you keep a pathway for the youths I.e Matt Shiels, if the youths aren't deemed ready as 3rd pick, then should we be releasing them?

Flanagan and Halliday then surely you keep a pathway for the youths I.e Matt Shieldif the youths aren't deemed ready as 3rd pick, then should we be releasing them?

I'd sell Barišić and bring in a better LB.

New left back
Flanagan
Youth

There are the three options. Flanagan also plays RB.

Will possibly rue being a snivelling little sheep shagger and playing to their Rangers hating hordes after recent games.

If he ends up at Gers then fine, but certainly doesn’t excite me.

Borna a far better player and if SG can get his head and heart sorted out, no LB in the country will come close to him.

Like this lad. Great engine and desire. Maybe lacks a wee bit in quality in the final third but that can be coached to one so young.

Him and Borna fighting it out for LB slot with Flanagan there as back-up.

It can indeed. Klopp coached the phuck out of both his fullbacks and they had 20 odd assists between them this season.

He’s played quite well this season but I wouldn’t want him as our first choice left back.

Never realised he is 22 and hardly managed half a season yet, except for while at Aberdeen. Not sure why Derby hold him in such high regard. 22 is hardly a youngster these days

Imo if Flanagan stays in the same physical shape as he has been in the last month or so, he'd be my left back for next season.

Hard as nails, perfect for grinding out results in the spl.

Also gives us a nice balance with Tav nore attacking on the other side.

I'd also punt Grezda immediately and tell Barisic he'll be next unless he bucks up his ideas. Then see how he does in pre season.

Lowe was probably the only Aberdeen player who stood out against us I thought over the course of the season. Whether It's this lad or not we do need a genuine left back with some much needed quality. Flanagan has done remarkably well and will be around the team next season as for Barisic and Wallace they'll be off.

Last edited:
I find this a strange one to be honest on loan?? We have to see what Barasic is like after a full pre-season and have both Flanagan who has been brilliant lately and Halliday who can play there if need be

If Halliday plays even a single game for us at left back next season our recruitment has failed.

Good defensively though i do question if he has the attacking ability to make the left back job his for a full season. Feel the same about Flanagan

Have you been in a coma the last 6 weeks when Flanagan has been playing and excelling at left back? His best run in the Liverpool side also came at left back so regardless of whether he is considered a right back, he is still a better option than Lowe at left back.

Barisic is so much better than Lowe its embarrassing that anybody could even argue.

Lowe can't even get anywhere near an average Derby side.
Bit of a push to say he’s been excellent mate. He’s done well, but not excellent.

I felt that we brought in too many loanees last summer, but was willing to forgive it because the squad needed a near-complete revision, but at the same time we needed to ensure a decent run at the SPL title.

So, I expect (hope for) fewer loanees to join this summer. Anyone coming in on loan this summer should not be starting largely because we've promised the lending club that he'll play a certain number of games; he should be starting because he's definitely better than what we already have. And IMO, Lowe doesn't fit that bill.

Last edited:
Hi Frank its Derek McInnes here.
Hi Frank its Stevie Gerrard here.

More like...

Ring, ring.... Ring, ring...... Ring, ring..... Ring, ring... Please leave a message after the beep.

Ring, ri.. Stevie G! how the %^*& are you mate?

More like...

Ring, ring.... Ring, ring...... Ring, ring..... Ring, ring... Please leave a message after the beep.

Ring, ri.. Stevie G! how the %^*& are you mate?

Can't say I'm too aware of this lad's level, but for me Lampard's key decision on loaning him out would be based on what football he's getting.

If he's going to get more game time at Aberdeen, he'll likely send him there. So, either SG sees him as a pretty regular starter ahead of who we have, or I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Pittodrie.

Flanagan has been doing really well the last few weeks (I also believe he is more of a RB by trade than a LB) so this position isn't necessarily one of the top priorities I wouldn't have thought. SG might just be thinking of getting Barisic out and bringing Lowe in as potential squad cover.

Has anyone ever seen Flanagan at RB ? I am still not convinced that Tav will not be looking for a decent signing on fee and a chance to play back down south.

On the one hand, this is a left footed full back, which we need, who knows the league, can perform in Scotland, is young and has good stamina and pace. If we strengthen the left back position for free, then we can concentrate our entire budget on an attacking midfielder and another goalscorer, which is probably what we need.

On the other hand, it'd be great to bring in a young talent who we can develop and can eventually make that position his own. If Greg Taylor of Kilmarnock is available for £1m or less, I'd definitely take him - he's a Gers man, only 21 and yet has 3 years top flight experience, and I rate him above Lowe. That should still leave the bulk of our cash to be spent on two more attacking players.

So just reverting to bring in players who aren't any better than what we have when it is better quality that is required to step up a gear,Jones is another bizarre signing,not any better than what we have at present,being perfectly honest he couldn't lace Kent's boots.

Can't say I'm too aware of this lad's level, but for me Lampard's key decision on loaning him out would be based on what football he's getting.

If he's going to get more game time at Aberdeen, he'll likely send him there. So, either SG sees him as a pretty regular starter ahead of who we have, or I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Pittodrie.

Flanagan has been doing really well the last few weeks (I also believe he is more of a RB by trade than a LB) so this position isn't necessarily one of the top priorities I wouldn't have thought. SG might just be thinking of getting Barisic out and bringing Lowe in as potential squad cover.

It's possible that Lampard might also want to see how Lowe copes in an environment where competition for a place is more difficult and where the demands in terms of expectations of the club and support are much higher. Surely that would give him a better understanding of how ready he is for the Derby first team (especially if they're Premier League bound) than him playing regularly at a diddy club where results don't really matter?

Not a great believer in constanly changing the team. We have the makings of a league winning team by giving players like Flanagan, Kamara, Davis , Arfield a starting place every week. Jon Flanagan doesn't need to be a left sided Tav. His strength compliments Tav's weakness.

Barisic is the far superior player - its not even close. I also think the other 2 are very bit as good, if not better than Lowe.

If he is so good then why can't he get near an average Derby side?
Why can't Barisic get near a Gerrard team, and why does the Manager not trust him? You, like me, fell for the Barisic hype. He's finished hence we are lookin for LB's. Time to move on.

Back