Rangers TV on Amazon Firestick

So can this be put on the shield yet? Bloody shambles doing this over half way though the season.
New app doesn't open now when side loaded on Nvidia shield. Hope they change that
The threads only 2 pages guys and covers alternatives for NVidia Shield. The App won’t work on Shield. It won’t work on Firestick,

Need to use a browser - and even then there’s some issues. Just read the thread. Post #17 onwards for Shield info.

You need to be clearer here mate, as you’re talking two different things. 720p is a screen resolution. Ideally you want 1080p, or 3840p if you are in the World of 4K. In terms of frequency I think the Fire TV Stick offers 50hz or 60hz. I just left it on whatever the default was.

That's the word, screen resolution. Never know what to have it set to.

That's the word, screen resolution. Never know what to have it set to.
Unless you have the 4K Fire TV Stick and a 4k television then I'd suggest 1080p mate. You shouldn't really need to change anything, just leave it on defaults from when you went through setup. If you are unsure, see the setup link I posted.

Looks like you need Android version 8.0 or above to run the new app. This transposes to Fire Tv OS 7 or above. This might be why another poster has managed to get the app working on the Fire TV CUBE.

@davhow was it definitely the new app you got installed? Are you able to post a picture to confirm? I am thinking of ordering a cube or a fire tv lite stick which both run Fire OS 7.

Looks like you need Android version 8.0 or above to run the new app. This transposes to Fire Tv OS 7 or above. This might be why another poster has managed to get the app working on the Fire TV CUBE.

@davhow was it definitely the new app you got installed? Are you able to post a picture to confirm? I am thinking of ordering a cube or a fire tv lite stick which both run Fire OS 7.
I did it on my iPhone no problem even on wife’s going through the browser but won’t work on my Philips smart TVs browser any ideas why I log out of the phone first but no differsnce

Interesting as the Cube and 4K stick should be the same.l Android version 9. I can't even get it onto the stick for some reason, keeping getting a parsing error when it's installing.

Interesting as the Cube and 4K stick should be the same.l Android version 9. I can't even get it onto the stick for some reason, keeping getting a parsing error when it's installing.
If you go into settings, then my fire tv then about it should tell you there which version of Fire TV OS you have. I’m assuming you don’t have Fire OS 7?

I did it on my iPhone no problem even on wife’s going through the browser but won’t work on my Philips smart TVs browser any ideas why I log out of the phone first but no differsnce
Smart TV browsers are generally poor. Some work well, many work poorly and some won't work at all. The graphic-intensive new website seems to be causing issues for some tv browsers.

Working on firestick via TV bro the trick with the mouse is working so I can select videos and live streams
Good to hear that. The trick with the mouse (centre/top simultaneous click) works on Silk too. However, once you have the screen move up to show the Play button and the bottom menu bar if you then click on the Full Screen icon it chucks you out. Can you confirm, absolutely, that with TV Bro it doesn't do that and you can go full screen, and indeed back again, without issue mate? If it does then I will crack on with installing TV Bro but if its the same as with Silk I will hold fire.

And did you get TV Bro via that troypoint link?

Hmm. Had a very brief go tonight. It worked for me insofar as getting the screen to move up and reveal the Play button. However, I found that sometimes I couldn’t get the full Screen bottom menu bar to show and, even worse, when it did and I clicked on it I got chucked out the video.:(
I'm experiencing the same thing. I agree, live looks like it will be okay and I have other options if there are issues but another let down from the RTV tech team. They should be aware of what devices/platforms their customers are using and make sure they work.

Good to hear that. The trick with the mouse (centre/top simultaneous click) works on Silk too. However, once you have the screen move up to show the Play button and the bottom menu bar if you then click on the Full Screen icon it chucks you out. Can you confirm, absolutely, that with TV Bro it doesn't do that and you can go full screen, and indeed back again, without issue mate? If it does then I will crack on with installing TV Bro but if its the same as with Silk I will hold fire.

And did you get TV Bro via that troypoint link?
Yes so full screen no problem the inbuilt mouse is cracking and and get it no problem. Yes I followed the link earlier in this thread.

If you go into settings, then my fire tv then about it should tell you there which version of Fire TV OS you have. I’m assuming you don’t have Fire OS 7?
Just checked, 6.2.7.7 currently. I read that it should support 7 already but no update available. I'm going to dig a bit deeper and find out when it will be.

Just checked, 6.2.7.7 currently. I read that it should support 7 already but no update available. I'm going to dig a bit deeper and find out when it will be.
Think Fire OS7 is only available on the 4K 2020 Stick (not the earlier 4K Stick though) and on the recently released Fire TV Stick 2020 and Fire TV Stick Lite 2020 at present. Its the one with the new interface/GUI,

Updates to older devices due first quarter 2021 I think.

Think Fire OS7 is only available on the 4K 2020 Stick (not the earlier 4K Stick though) and on the recently released Fire TV Stick 2020 and Fire TV Stick Lite 2020 at present. Its the one with the new interface/GUI,

oh really? Where you seeing this mate? I was under impression Amazon do not upgrade to the next level of OS. I.e. won’t update from OS 6 to OS 7.

oh really? Where you seeing this mate? I was under impression Amazon do not upgrade to the next level of OS. I.e. won’t update from OS 6 to OS 7.
Articles around the turn of the year. This is just one where I’m taking it from, on the basis that the new GUI/interface will require the OS Update. Only first gen Firesticks to miss out.

Just found that out, a bit annoying but what can be done. We now need someone who has Fire os7 to confirm they can 100% get it working with the new RTV App.

That's tomorrow's job-of-the-day then.:) Thank you.

@Gers55 are you still having a problem with this on TV Bro? See last few posts. @Albertzzzz seems certain its working for him. I will try tomorrow hopefully.
Cheers VB, will give this a go tonight. Keeping everything crossed this is a solution to our problems

**Update @Valley Bluenose I have downloaded this and tried it and it's letting me watch the videos. Doesn't kick you out when you click on fullscreen B-) Seems the best way to get round that white bar of death problem. Seems much more fluid to navigate compared to Silk.

Last edited:
Just found that out, a bit annoying but what can be done. We now need someone who has Fire os7 to confirm they can 100% get it working with the new RTV App.
Correct so anyone with the new Fire TV Lite stick or the fire tv stick purchased since September 2020. You can check the Operating System (OS) by going to “settings” then “my fire tv” then “about”.

If it says 7. X. X then you have OS 7 and should be able to install the app. Any bears able to try this for us?

The app can still install as before but when you open it nothing happens and it returns to the shield main screen.
I don’t think it’s a case of them doing anything to stop it sideloading, more a case of the developers only coding for phones and tablets on both platforms.
Couldn't understand why wasn't opening on my Shield. Sideloaded via ES file explorer and thought it was something to do with using that. Seems utterly ridiculous they have pushed this through at this time and failed to ensure it works on Android TV or firestick.

Couldn't understand why wasn't opening on my Shield. Sideloaded via ES file explorer and thought it was something to do with using that. Seems utterly ridiculous they have pushed this through at this time and failed to ensure it works on Android TV or firestick.
It will work on any android device I believe which runs Android 8.0 or greater. Neither the shield nor most of the fire stick range do that... YET!

Agreed mate, although I did say in a previous post, I think it’s been deliberate on the developer’s part to only ensure support for phones and tablets on both iOS and Android platforms.
That way, they have less debugging to do and have a much smaller base of hardware to make compatible.
I have no confidence in them ever bringing support to Android TV or Fire TV os’s any time soon.

Cheers VB, will give this a go tonight. Keeping everything crossed this is a solution to our problems

**Update @Valley Bluenose I have downloaded this and tried it and it's letting me watch the videos. Doesn't kick you out when you click on fullscreen B-) Seems the best way to get round that white bar of death problem. Seems much more fluid to navigate compared to Silk.
Thanks for the update mate. So the way to go here, for simplicity sake, seems to be to download and install TV Bro browser. Will give it a go in due course, using the guides on previous page.

OK - some updates. I am a complete novice to Fire TV Stick so bear with me, I don't know what I'm doing.:)

@Bishy Bear @gennaro @Gers55 @cadge_1959

SIDELOADING THE APP

Didn't work. I have a Fire TV Stick 2020. So I tried downloading the RangersTV App version 1.1 from APKPure using Downloader. The file downloaded fine. The file installed absolutely fine. However, when trying to Launch it, absolutely nothing happens. So, I guess the theory that it will work on Fire TV OS7 doesn't hold up. Albeit my error was not the parsing one referred to earlier. Now uninstalled.

USING SILK

Now, on my Fire TV Stick playing Live works well. I can go to the RangersTV website, login, click on the Watch Live next to the St Johnstone game and it plays tickety-boo and can be adjusted to full screen by using the Full Screen icon at the bottom. Main issue here is when trying to Login on Silk if I enter my email then click on Next then enter my Password and click on Next it doesn't like it. I found I had to enter my email, then hit the Back button on the remote and then do the same with the Password entry. Often, at that point I got thrown out. Perseverance saw me eventually get Logged In.

The problems come with playing videos on the website. There's a white bar across the bottom of the screen with Up Next on it that prevents you seeing the play button. You can use the remote and press centre+up concurrently and the screen moves up to reveal the Play button, and it will play, but when you then try to click on the Full Screen icon you get thrown out. There's also an issue of getting thrown out if you try to hit the Unmute button.

USING TV BRO

The answer to BOTH the logging in problem and the issue of playing videos in full screen is as mentioned earlier in the thread - TV Bro. Download and install a new browser called TV Bro. Works like a dream. You can use the Submit button after entering your email and it moves to Password. You can enter your password and click Submit and it takes you back to where you can press Login. Fantastic. Even better, once into RangersTV you can select a video and, whilst the white bar of death with Up Next on it will still be there, you can use the centre+up buttons to move the screen up, hit the Play button then immediately pause and scroll to the Full Screen icon and it will work for you. Hey Presto, videos playing in full screen with audio (no need to find and use Unmute button).

So, how do you get it and install it. The full process is detailed at the bottom of the link below. Make sure you scroll all the way down to the section about Fire TV Sticks.:

Once you've installed TV Bro you will be asked to confirm you want to use Google as your default search engine (or pick another one from the drop-down menu). That will then leave you at a sort of Home page with a list of various websites. Hit the Back button on the remote and you get to the navigation screen. Simply move the cursor to the entry bar where it says about:blank and type in the RangersTV website details:

The RangersTV page will load. At this point I pressed Back on the remote again to the menu popped. I clicked on the Star symbol top-left and set the page as a Bookmark. Thereafter its just a case of Logging In and away you go. Its a much smoother experience than using Silk. Just use it as normal for Live matches. For videos where the white bar of death appears use the remote for the centre+up combo to get the screen to move up and reveal the Play button. Once you've done that hit the centre button on the remote to Pause and then move down to the Full Screen icon and select it. Video will play full screen, with sound, with no issue.

When you are finished playing a video simply Pause it. Scroll to the Full Screen icon and minimise to get to half-screen again. If you can see the big X in the top right corner to close the video then click on it. If you cannot then use the remote, but this time with the centre+down combo, to scroll the screen down to reveal the big X to close the video.

Personally I found the experience of using TV Bro to view RangersTV much, much better than using Silk which, to be fair, works fine for everything else. Give it a go.

Last edited:
OK - some updates. I am a complete novice to Fire TV Stick so bear with me, I don't know what I'm doing.:)

SIDELOADING THE APP

Didn't work. I have a Fire TV Stick 2020. So I tried downloading the RangersTV App version 1.1 from APKPure using Downloader. The file downloaded fine. The file installed absolutely fine. However, when trying to Launch it, absolutely nothing happens. So, I guess the theory that it will work on Fire TV OS7 doesn't hold up. Albeit my error was not the parsing one referred to earlier. Now uninstalled.

USING SILK

Now, on my Fire TV Stick playing Live works well. I can go to the RangersTV website, login, click on the Watch Live next to the St Johnstone game and it plays tickety-boo and can be adjusted to full screen by using the Full Screen icon at the bottom. Main issue here is when trying to Login on Silk if I enter my email then click on Next then enter my Password and click on Next it doesn't like it. I found I had to enter my email, then hit the Back button on the remote and then do the same with the Password entry. Often, at that point I got thrown out. Perseverance saw me eventually get Logged In.

The problems come with playing videos on the website. There's a white bar across the bottom of the screen with Up Next on it that prevents you seeing the play button. You can use the remote and press centre+up concurrently and the screen moves up to reveal the Play button, and it will play, but when you then try to click on the Full Screen icon you get thrown out. There's also an issue of getting thrown out if you try to hit the Unmute button.

USING TV BRO

The answer to BOTH the logging in problem and the issue of playing videos in full screen is as mentioned earlier in the thread - TV Bro. Download and install a new browser called TV Bro. Works like a dream. You can use the Submit button after entering your email and it moves to Password. You can enter your password and click Submit and it takes you back to where you can press Login. Fantastic. Even better, once into RangersTV you can select a video and, whilst the white bar of death with Up Next on it will still be there, you can use the centre+up buttons to move the screen up, hit the Play button then immediately pause and scroll to the Full Screen icon and it will work for you. Hey Presto, videos playing in full screen with audio (no need to find and use Unmute button).

So, how do you get it and install it. The full process is detailed at the bottom of the link below. Make sure you scroll all the way down to the section about Fire TV Sticks.:

Once you've installed TV Bro you will be asked to confirm you want to use Google as your default search engine (or pick another one from the drop-down menu). That will then leave you at a sort of Home page with a list of various websites. Hit the Back button on the remote and you get to the navigation screen. Simply move the cursor to the entry bar where it says about:blank and type in the RangersTV website details:

The RangersTV page will load. At this point I pressed Back on the remote again to the menu popped. I clicked on the Star symbol top-left and set the page as a Bookmark. Thereafter its just a case of Logging In and away you go. Its a much smoother experience than using Silk. Just use it as normal for Live matches. For videos where the white bar of death appears use the remote for the centre+up combo to get the screen to move up and reveal the Play button. Once you've done that hit the centre button on the remote to Pause and then move down to the Full Screen icon and select it. Video will play full screen, with sound, with no issue.

When you are finished playing a video simply Pause it. Scroll to the Full Screen icon and minimise to get to half-screen again. If you can see the big X in the top right corner to close the video then click on it. If you cannot then use the remote, but this time with the centre+down combo, to scroll the screen down to reveal the big X to close the video.

Personally I found the experience of using TV Bro to view RangersTV much, much better than using Silk which, to be fair, works fine for everything else. Give it a go.
Great effort for a Fire TV novice B-)
Really disappointing news about it not working on the latest Firestick with Fire OS7. Hopefully they are planning fire stick support and working on it, potential for more people to sign up.

Great effort for a Fire TV novice B-)
Really disappointing news about it not working on the latest Firestick with Fire OS7. Hopefully they are planning fire stick support and working on it, potential for more people to sign up.
Might just be me mate. Everything seemed to go well. Looked to have worked. Clicked Launch and zip - nothing happened. Tried the whole process twice as well.

It will work on any android device I believe which runs Android 8.0 or greater. Neither the shield nor most of the fire stick range do that... YET!
Not disagreeing mate but found this. If that's the case wonder what the issue is then.

2019 versionEdit

In October 2019, Nvidia unveiled two new Shield TV models. Both models use the Tegra X1+ system-on-chip, ship with Android 9.0 "Pie", support Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, and include an updated remote control, and a new "AI-enhanced" upscaling system that can upscale high-definition video to 4K resolution. The new base model uses a cylindrical form factor rather than a set-top box style, and has 2 GB of RAM and 8 GB of flash storage, expandable via MicroSD card (in place of USB ports). The Shield TV Pro uses the same set-top box form factor as the previous model, and includes 3 GB of RAM, 16 GB of flash storage, and two full-size USB 3.0 ports. A gamepad is no longer included.[14][15]

Start playing the video. Immediately Pause it. The bottom menu bar will appear. Click on Full Screen icon and it will enlarge and also unmute.

Only need to do that with videos and highlights etc. For live games just move cursor to bottom of screen until same menu bar appears and go Full Screen to unmute.
I'm surprised you are not made an Admin on here or moderator if that term still exists as you are very helpful on here.

I'm surprised you are not made an Admin on here or moderator if that term still exists as you are very helpful on here.
Retired. Bored. Time to faff around with this stuff. And happy to be of help where I can. I've no IT skills in truth just bold enough to use trial and error to see what works ha ha.

Admin/Mods do a fine job on here. I don't have a thick enough skin LOL.

SIDELOADING THE APP

USING SILK

USING TV BRO

Well played mate.

Maybe @Del could edit the op to add this in?

SIDELOADING THE APP

USING SILK

USING TV BRO

Good effort mate! Disappointing about the app on OS 7 but I’ve been quite impressed with TV Bro either way!

As @Boab suggested, possibly the XDA forum could check it out for us and see why it isn’t running.

Good effort mate! Disappointing about the app on OS 7 but I’ve been quite impressed with TV Bro either way!

As @Boab suggested, possibly the XDA forum could check it out for us and see why it isn’t running.
I was surprisingly impressed with TV Bro myself. Didn’t expect it to be so much easier.

Silk browser on my firestick appears to be working like before on mine now just watching the rerun from last Wednesday. Cheers for all the help on here from posters. Especially our resident IT consultant Valley Bluenose.

following along - what’s the story TV bro? Is it just a browser?

I tested last night using Firefox and It worked a treat.

Even better, once into RangersTV you can select a video and, whilst the white bar of death with Up Next on it will still be there, you can use the centre+up buttons to move the screen up, hit the Play button then immediately pause and scroll to the Full Screen icon and it will work for you. Hey Presto, videos playing in full screen with audio (no need to find and use Unmute button).
Terrific post mate. Just a wee update some might find useful.
Nvidia Shield is my main device and TVBro looks the best option for viewing.
The white next up bar was a problem and I was curious to see if the same trick noted above would work in the Shield.
I’m using a Harmony universal remote and when I selected a video I got the white bar. I moved the circle cursor up into the video and then long pressed the ok button on the remote. This turned the circle into one with a plus sign in it. I then continued to hold the ok button and pressed the up button and it moved the video up, the same as on the Firestick.
I had to make sure the bottom of the video was fully above the up next white bar so fullscreen option was available.
I then pressed play, then fullscreen and it played unmuted perfectly. B-D

Silk browser on my firestick appears to be working like before on mine now just watching the rerun from last Wednesday. Cheers for all the help on here from posters. Especially our resident IT consultant Valley Bluenose.
following along - what’s the story TV bro? Is it just a browser?

I tested last night using Firefox and It worked a treat.
TV Bro is just a browser. What posters are finding is the Silk works fine for the live stream. However, it’s a bugger to get logged in and when playing video content it’s almost impossible to get it to go full screen and sometimes even just to unmute.

If Silk works for you without issue and you are happy then stick with it. I found login a chore though. Couldn’t be arsed with the hassle every time. And playing videos was very unsatisfactory. Try one of the Away Days and see how you get on. The ‘white bar of death’ with Up Next on it will infuriate you. Unless they’ve made some tweaks today to make it work better on Silk, which is possible of course.

Terrific post mate. Just a wee update some might find useful.
Nvidia Shield is my main device and TVBro looks the best option for viewing.
The white next up bar was a problem and I was curious to see if the same trick noted above would work in the Shield.
I’m using a Harmony universal remote and when I selected a video I got the white bar. I moved the circle cursor up into the video and then long pressed the ok button on the remote. This turned the circle into one with a plus sign in it. I then continued to hold the ok button and pressed the up button and it moved the video up, the same as on the Firestick.
I had to make sure the bottom of the video was fully above the up next white bar so fullscreen option was available.
I then pressed play, then fullscreen and it played unmuted perfectly. B-D
Right now, TV Bro is definitely the way to go. Simple installation - even for a novice like me - as well, despite my hugely wordy post.

TV Bro is just a browser. What posters are finding is the Silk works fine for the live stream. However, it’s a bugger to get logged in and when playing video content it’s almost impossible to get it to go full screen and sometimes even just to unmute.

If Silk works for you without issue and you are happy then stick with it. I found login a chore though. Couldn’t be arsed with the hassle every time. And playing videos was very unsatisfactory. Try one of the Away Days and see how you get on. The ‘white bar of death’ with Up Next on it will infuriate you. Unless they’ve made some tweaks today to make it work better on Silk, which is possible of course.
I tested with Firefox last night with the VST and just double clicking the video fullscreened it with no hassled.

I just hate the slowness / blurring of the ball with streaming / just venturing in to firestick to see if it’s a better solution than ive had up until now (although now curious if I should have bought an nvidia shield)

Those on the shield - I've just noticed I can cast from the app on my phone to the shield. Solves the problem for now

I tested with Firefox last night with the VST and just double clicking the video fullscreened it with no hassled.

I just hate the slowness / blurring of the ball with streaming / just venturing in to firestick to see if it’s a better solution than ive had up until now (although now curious if I should have bought an nvidia shield)
The slowness/blurring of the ball via streaming can be annoying but is generally down to the quality of your broadband and the equipment you are using. Can get it with any site though, I've had, on occasion, better streams on RangersTV than on BTSport website for example. You could try reducing the Settings cog from Auto to 1080p or even lower until you get a smoother picture.

Also, getting the full screen on the test stream of the Hibs game is no problem, for example, it was things like Away Days, Inside Ibrox, Interviews etc that had the 'white bar of death'. If Firefox gets around then then that's another great wee tip, with the bonus its available from the Amazon App Store.

Last edited:
Back