MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Yes. They were awful for 78 minutes then came to life for the last 12. Not great for a team to perform for 12 minutes. Rangers were decent. Can’t complain about getting a point against any Portuguese side, but they have been there for the taking twice and we’ve handed it back both times.

Frustrating but certainly not the end of the world.
Behave, we were great for 78 minutes, frustrating yes, but they are not shite mate.

Glass half full!

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
Get yourself so far to fvck. Gerrard should be ashamed? What should you be.

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
Unbeaten home and away against a team with a proven european record who have spent 100 million euro's this summer. You need to have a lie down in a darkened room pal.

This^^^
The way they played leading up to both their goals was top class and we couldn't get near the ball.
We're lucky they didn't play like that from the start.

Completely agree.

I thought the passing and movement around our box for the equaliser.....that was them hitting their top gear.

People will moan about subs, Gerrard etc till Sunday now. Nah, sorry...that team had found its mojo by then and that is a level above where we are.

Our overachievements in Europe are remarkable, in such a short space of time. To the point of inducing delusion amongst our support. I have seen some of you in this last week stating that we’re better than Porto. I mean sure we beat them but I really don’t think we are.

We’re a team that has been moulded into something greater than the sum of its parts, cohesive and with a clear plan.

But a bit of perspective please. 20 odd games unbeaten. We are going to qualify anyway. (Group winners would be nice, not gonna get hung up on it - our group winners last year drew Leverkusen and got knocked out before us), and sitting pretty at the top of the league.

This feels like a great time to be a bear to me.

I'll take it. I'd take where we are in the group all day long.

I appreciate we had nothing to change midfield but Bassey or Helander to see it out.

Game management...

Feel deflated after that.

Two games against them and both times blew a 2 goal lead

For me, the players thought it was job done after our 2nd.

A harsh reminder to the players that we can’t afford to stop playing when we go 2 up.

Our guys had put in a hard shift. They were tired. Fresh legs in the team could have prevented the goals they scored in the last 15minutes.
Reckon if Jack/Aribo we’re available to come off the bench ( if fit both would of started IMO) after Roofe scored we would have saw the game out.
Fine margins, but we’re getting there!!

How much has silly mistakes cost the club over the two games through Gerrard refusing to change the two games against them, both games comfortable 3-1 and 2-0 last ten minutes, In both games Benfica made substitutions that have changed the games, when all we had to do was close the games down and shut them out, I really fail to understand why Gerrard can't see Benfica coming more and more into the game and putting us on the back foot and just standing doing nothing to change things. Thank %^*& they never had their full team tonight.

Gee, I wish you were our manager. We would win all the cups and all the leagues.

I said before the game I would take a point, now we have it I’m a wee bit deflated especially with it being a similar ending to the first game, but overall I’m pleased with the progress we’re making, we’ve matched a quality side for 180 minutes and we’re learning and improving every season in Europe.

Bawbag. Cannot be a serious post.

Its only natural to be disappointed after the way the game turned out, there is no supporter in the world who would be happy with their team throwing away a 2 nil lead with 15 mins to go

But its just one of those things and as long as we get out of the group stages then we just have to put it down to experience

The Benfica are a good team chat is just weak consolation. We made them look very ordinary and should have won.

It's not a hugely, not going to sleep through disappointment result but it is a game we should have won. I've simply no idea why we didn't change it. I reckon we'd be the only team in Europe not to make a sub tonight.

Some embarrassing comments on this thread. To call this garbage is ridiculous. It's disappointing to draw both games after being ahead by 2 goals yes. But if we both finish level at the end of the group we will go through as group winners. Let that sink in guys before making a fool of yourselves.
The embarrassing comments and some of the nonsense that come after.
Are very likely the reason that some of us pick and choose our posts and replies .
Hence we are not in the lounge

For what it's worth over the two games rangers have had the beating of benfica .
Yes the win has not come to fruition .

But going Tonto over not getting through against progress is one thing
Not getting beaten off benfica over two matches is another .
Not delighted about it but we have come such a long way as a team .

Tomorrow.

Once emotions have calmed like most days in FF, there will be a more reasoned discussion.

By tomorrow I reckon most while disappointed will be delighted at our progress.

This “Benfica are a great side” is beginning to get on my nipple ends.

Are we not allowed to beat certain teams, or what?
Benfica are certainly not a great side, not bad but not great. Their best players were all sold over the last 18 months and they’ve been conceding 3 or 4 goals to some teams in their league.

The Benfica are a good team chat is just weak consolation. We made them look very ordinary and should have won.

It's not a hugely, not going to sleep through disappointment result but it is a game we should have won. I've simply no idea why we didn't change it. I reckon we'd be the only team in Europe not to make a sub tonight.
The passing around our box for both the goals didnt look ordinary to me mate

You are correct. We are top on head to head. Goal difference doesn't matter at this stage.
Yep I’m wrong this is from UEFA website

TIE BREAKER CRITERIA

If two or more teams are equal on points, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:
  1. Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e. head to head results).
  2. Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e. head to head goal difference).
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e head to head goals scored).
  4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e head to head away goals).
  5. Superior goal difference from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  6. Higher number of goals scored from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  7. Higher number of away goals scored from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  8. Higher number of wins from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  9. Higher number of away wins from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  10. Lower number of disciplinary points received from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  11. Higher UEFA Club Coefficient.

You and your brain are clearly separate entities. Sound familiar?

Some people going on about the reaction on here being over the top.

Throwing away another 2 goal lead is pretty bad. Extreme levels of defeatist attitude. We shouldn't be losing and should be doing more to get back into it.

The assumption Benfica are this mega team and we should be pleased is utter nonsense. We were two goals up and playing well and fell apart.

One of the poorest excuses ever rolled out on a regular basis on here. There is almost no point having a manager at the side of the pitch by the logic of some on ehre.
Stop acting like a spoiled child.

We didn't fucking lose. Just like the other 21 games this year.

Benfica spent almost €100m in the summer and are a Champions League level side and are the best team in the Group so 2 draws is a great return (despite being 2 up in both games).

I think they’ll win both their remaining games so we’re as good as through even though I’ve got a feeling we might get 2nd place.

Gerrard was right in his interview, we were playing a champions league team, we gave them a game twice, yes its hard to take cos we were ahead in both games, but ffs look how far we have come that some are moaning about not beating them, it's a learning curve and we are learning.

Yep I’m wrong this is from UEFA website

TIE BREAKER CRITERIA

If two or more teams are equal on points, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:
  1. Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e. head to head results).
  2. Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e. head to head goal difference).
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e head to head goals scored).
  4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question (i.e head to head away goals).
  5. Superior goal difference from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  6. Higher number of goals scored from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  7. Higher number of away goals scored from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  8. Higher number of wins from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  9. Higher number of away wins from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  10. Lower number of disciplinary points received from ALL group matches played among the teams in question.
  11. Higher UEFA Club Coefficient.
We are top because we scored 3 over there to Benfica's 2 at Ibrox. Tie-breaker number 4.:)

Back