Should Rangers make a play for lawrence shankland

We do need a third striker but I'm not sure if he's good enough for our level. Maybe should have taken a punt on him when he was free.

For Shankland refer to Nicky Clarke. Absolutely smashed it in the lower leagues and struggled with us even though he got more service. Found his level now.
Made this point to my pal the other day. What’s the chances he could play at the level we are at now.

Does he have the workrate, linkup and presence to play as a lone striker in our side. Decent backup but not sure he can be much more than that.

He would be at least £1m, probably more like £2m. They have money and wouldn't want to sell to us.
No team in that league should be getting that much for a player. Shankland has done enough to suggest he might be able to make the step up but without actually proving it asking for a million is laughable

Billy McKay
Liam Boyce
Louis Moult
Kane Hemmings
Adam Rooney

All players who scored a very decent number of goals in the league above Shankland, but similar to him they lack a lot in other areas of their game. None are good enough for us, and neither is he.

If he wasn't a bluenose there wouldn't be such an obsession with him, look how far that got us in 17/18.

We've built up a decent sized recruitment team, they should be able to spot far better players.

For Shankland refer to Nicky Clarke. Absolutely smashed it in the lower leagues and struggled with us even though he got more service. Found his level now.
They both play for the same team and Shankland has scored 5 times as many goals as Clark this season. In fact in half a season he has scored more than Clark has in total for Dundee United.

The only thing more annoying than constant threads on Shankland is the ridiculous comparisons to Nicky Clark

They both play for the same team and Shankland has scored 5 times as many goals as Clark this season. In fact in half a season he has scored more than Clark has in total for Dundee United.

The only thing more annoying than constant threads on Shankland is the ridiculous comparisons to Nicky Clark
The season before we signed Clarke he banged in 40 goals tho, so was a proven goal threat but just couldn't pull it off (unfortunately) in a Rangers shirt.

No team in that league should be getting that much for a player. Shankland has done enough to suggest he might be able to make the step up but without actually proving it asking for a million is laughable
That's a bit like saying no team in the SPL should be asking for £25-30m. We can ask that because of the performances in Europe. Dundee United can ask for it because they have money, he's on a decent contract, and has scored against SPL teams as well as scoring loads in his league.

Today’s the first time I have saw him properly, would offer half a million quid and a couple of loans.

I agree its a lazy way of putting him down rather than looking at his overall record.

No thanks, not good enough as he would be closed down to easily by players working much harder against us.

Fck given they a penny and hes not good enough,would prefer to buy a younger player

Do folk really think we could get him for 1/4m ?

Be nice if we do right enough as hes a player but i would guess his value, at the very least, is about 2m maybe even closer to 3m quid... he puts the chances away thats why theres so many threads.

Jason Cummings was a better all round player at the level Shankland is playing at and he wasn't good enough for Rangers.
How can anyone watch him and think he's good enough is beyond me.

Let's hope Tosh McKinlay thinks he is.

Watch Shankland at international level. Even against San Marino he looked lost. Scored a goal and that changed the mind for some on his performance. Constantly made the wrong runs, poor hold up play, rarely involved. I've seen Dundee United a good few times this season on TV and his play outside the box is awful.

Not for me. Don’t think he would really fit our style. For all he’s a good goal scorer, we need a number 9 who can put in a shift as well.

Seems to be a new thread on this every week. He’s a good player at that level and could possibly score a few in the premiership but that doesn’t mean he’s good enough to play for Rangers.

Some on here are forgetting the system we play.We play with 3 interchanging front players .Alfie being the "firmino" if you like with two tricky players around him in the Liverpool style.Shankland is a poacher with very little variety in his game.He is similar in style to Defoe who while Still a great Finisher is not ideally suited to a Front 3 set up

Lafferty is a far better player than Shankland and nobody would have him back.

Shankland is nowhere near good enough to play for us IMO.

Nope. I would like to think we are well passed that level of talent required for our strikers. Not for me at our level now.

He reminds me of Boyd, would score against the dross spl teams but does not have the all round game.

I think we should have and we missed our chance when he left Ayr. No way will Dundee Hibs make it anything but difficult from here on in.

Greg Stewart has struggled for minutes, Shankland would have got zero minutes for us this season so far. He's banging goals in and got in the international setup so certainly worked out ok for him and we certainly haven't missed something we've never had

Wouldn't see him getting in the team apart from brief sub appearances. Dont think hes the standard required.

The only thing I’d say in regard to two regularly made objections to signing Shankland;

He’s only good enough for a lower level ie the championship...Alfie was scoring goals in a pretty unremarkable league and has made the transition.

Then there is the I refer you to Nicky Clark nonsense! So we should never sign a striker from the championship because Nicky Clark didn’t live up to expectations? Just think how ridiculous that actually sounds!!

Nobody is saying he is at this point good enough to be our lead striker but I reckon this guy would improve immeasurably working with Gerrard, Defoe and Alfie.

Think we should of got him from ayr? We should never give those Dundee Utd wankers any cash ever again for players.

We now have a top class management team in place who perform analysis on players, if he is good enough then he will be monitored.

Could have signed him on a free and loaned him to another top flight side. But I don't think he's worth the 2 million being quoted

Not sure he’s good enough to make the difference in a tough game. Wouldn’t be the worst squad player for rotation against the lesser teams but I think we should be aiming for better.

Lafferty is a far better player than Shankland and nobody would have him back.

Shankland is nowhere near good enough to play for us IMO.
Don't think Lafferty's ability was ever in question. His attitude on and off the park were his undoing.
As for Shankland, we should have taken him from Ayr and seen how he adapted to life at Rangers.
£2m to DUFC for him now? No. No way.

Back