Should Rangers make a play for lawrence shankland

I am not convinced. His work rate off the ball appeared limited as largely anonymous but that is something he could be coached with. McCoist was same in early days with us.

He always seems to have a dip in form after Xmas so interested to see if it happens this year. Would be very disappointed if we were to sign anyone from Dundee Utd.

see Nicky Clark, it would be a risky signing. If the fee was low it would be a different type of risk. We should have done it when he was available on the cheap.

Have to say I didn't want to sign him previously but I now think we should make the move.

I don't get the folk saying that he's at his level.. he's clearly not since he's been utterly destroying it for 18months.

Im with you on this ,previously I’ve said no but I’d now go and get him.

Not for me. Think he'd be another Cummings who would struggle to make the step up to play for a bigger club

I would prefer to see how he does in top tier next year before making a move.

Well, my actual preference is that DundeeUtd somehow manage to %^*& it up and he isn’t playing top tier next year.

That ship has sailed, possibility when we could have got him for nothing on a small salary, not now with a Dundee Utd transfer fee attached.

I'll admit right at the start that I haven't seen much of the lad, just highlights showing goals & the Scotland games.
From what I've seen he has a decent first touch, pretty good at playing back to goal & can link play.
He's not very quick but reads chances fairly well.
He's 24 so a couple of years yet before he starts to peak.

On the surface I'd say yes, he has attributes we can use and develop (training with Defoe & Morelos will improve him), BUT......what kind of money are we talking ? It's the Dundee scum, they may want stupid money for him, in which case I'm out.
Plus, is he the type of player who loses sharpness when not playing 90 mins week in week out ? Would he be content with 10/15 mins most weeks and the occasional start to allow Alfie/Defoe to rest up ?

We’ve missed our chance to get him cheap. Should have taken him then and loaned him out to another premier team to see how he did.

Not sure he’d be worth the cash that mob would expect for him now.

Another Nicky Clark situation in the making most likely.

Scores for fun at a certain level, but not good enough to make the step up.

There's also a chance that there's some sort of clause in his contract to let him go for a reasonable price. Think he'd make things difficult for United if they tried to block a move to us.

Should have taken a punt on him when he was at Ayr and seen how he could develop. I would not be taking a punt at the sort of money scumdee utd would be looking for.

We need better quality to take us forward. We're bringing youth through (so long as quality there) and looking at quality loans; not all panning out, admittedly, and dipping into quality signing. Quality keeps cropping up!!

Just saw his goal against Hibs. I know scum are sniffing around but boy might be a bluenose. Do you guys think he is worth a punt?
sn7PTm2.gif

Rangers are trying to get rid of fringe players not add to them, if we are buying it has to be quality, first team starters from here on in or we won't progress as a team.

May be worth a punt but for me don't think he would get enough games to continue developing, right now would be 3rd choice and he wouldn't be first choice after Alfie leaves so at best second choice then. For me would be better trying to bring someone through from youth ranks in that position rather than spending money on someone else

Might be in the minority, I think he’s worth a punt. Worst case he can be loaned out if he’s not doing it for us and sold on for fee.

We assume Defoe is going to sign on with us. If that doesn't happen, would most saying no to Shankland at the moment take him in that scenario? Would we be able to by then?
He's obviously a little older, but I would have liked to see us do a similar deal we did with Hastie. Too late for that now of course.

No from me. Out entire squad is ahead of where Shankland is.
On top of that, United would try to shaft us on the fee because it’s us.

He’s a bluenose but, in terms of what we want to achieve, that is not a qualification to buy him.

We should be looking to do better for our 3rd striker. If Alfie and Defoe are injured, we can rely on a guy who has only played in the lower levels of Scottish football

Back