Steven Gerrard

What feckin facts are you reminding me of?

How many points did we win the league by the previous season?

How many games unbeaten was Gerrard against the filth?

What was the score in the only old firm game Gerrard took charge of that season?

Who was comfortably top of the table when Gerrard left?
There's certainly nothing hypothetical in this post however those that wish to portray Gerrard in a negative light will completely ignore these facts.

I love Gerrard and what he gave us. I would welcome him back in a heartbeat, he was a hero. I can never tell though if he feels the same connection to us still that we feel for him as a club. Sometimes get the feeling we were just a job and thats it over. Basing this on very little to be fair and could be doing him a disservice. Having him in the stands to watch 56 would be amazing.

We were winning but flagging under Gerrard just before he left us. We were winning games but not very convincingly. The expected goals guy had Celtic winning the league when Gerrard was still here and we were top of the league.

I'm not sure what would have happened had he stayed but I think the idea that we would have "comfortably" won the league is miles off. I'm also not sure we reach the Europa League final.

I think how negatively losing the league that season would have impacted on his career is probably one of the reasons he left as well.

Strongly disagree with that.

The first 3-5 years in management's tends to be the biggest learning curves for managers. I think he still had a lot to learn and experience before leaving to a tougher challenge.

Even if he'd stayed the rest of that season to win 56, he'd have been much better prepared for a top Premier League job.
I agree with that, but in his desire to leave I'd have preferred him to have left before the season started when he did. Leaving when he did wasn't the best for us, and something we struggled to come to terms with. He was a figurehead, without being a great manager, but if we could have got better at the time that would have been preferable, obviously. Could we have got better? Hopefully, even then, we could have.

We were winning but flagging under Gerrard just before he left us. We were winning games but not very convincingly. The expected goals guy had Celtic winning the league when Gerrard was still here and we were top of the league.

I'm not sure what would have happened had he stayed but I think the idea that we would have "comfortably" won the league is miles off. I'm also not sure we reach the Europa League final.

I think how negatively losing the league that season would have impacted on his career is probably one of the reasons he left as well.
Apparently there’s nothing to suggest they could have possibly stopped us though. Not the huge winning run they ended up going on, not the bolstering of their squad in January, and obviously their current positions with one being at Spurs and the other being at a club whose name I can’t even remember is no indication either. All that talk of how our team looked off and Gerrard looked off was obviously just to give us something to talk about such was the ease with which we were going to skoosh the title.

We were going backwards under Gerrard in the end, we had stopped improving, results show as much. Are you trying to see we were still improving as a team in Gerard’s final season ?

There’s a thread highlighting the very fact, while you had your head in the sand, a lot of people could see the obvious.

What a redundant thread to post to validate much, it is filled with people saying what was visible at the time.We were starting to click and goals would come.

We battered hearts at Ibrox, should have scored 4 or 5 didn't, McGregor then chucked one in but you could tell following that game we were going to batter someone soon, and did, we beat Motherwell 6-1 and Ross County 4-2 prior to Gerrard leaving, again in a game we should have scored more, we had missed Kent and most expected an upturn upon his return, which did happen

The period of Gerrard leaving was hinged with a game v Aberdeen that a case could have been made for the game not going ahead but the performances had improved prior to him leaving, following a stop start beginning to the season when Gerrard himself literally had to miss games

The idea that we would have romped to the league had he stayed is just become another myth that gets bandied about. There's no proof of that at all. Maybe Beale hitting out with stuff on that podcast has changed people's minds as well.

The performances under Gerrard weren't tenable in the long term. I think the most revealing moment of the season came when he did a lap around the pitch after beating Hibs. He could tell some kind of malaise or stagnation had set in at that point.

The idea that we would have romped to the league had he stayed is just become another myth that gets bandied about. There's no proof of that at all. Maybe Beale hitting out with stuff on that podcast has changed people's minds as well.

The performances under Gerrard weren't tenable in the long term. I think the most revealing moment of the season came when he did a lap around the pitch after beating Hibs. He could tell some kind of malaise or stagnation had set in at that point.

It was also about the first genuinely big win he had been present at at Ibrox with a crowd in about 20 months

He was instrumental, alongside others, in building the club back up to its current stature.

He was, however, not without fault. In particular, the fact that he only won one trophy.

He was instrumental, alongside others, in building the club back up to its current stature.

He was, however, not without fault. In particular, the fact that he only won one trophy.
He absolutely isn't without fault but prior to his arrival did you think we were capable of stopping them doing 10iar. The one trophy he did win where would you truthfully rank that in level of importance to other trophies we've won.

Don’t think it’s infatuation mate
It’s more respect for the man

What he did for us can’t be underestimated
He left a few years ago and won one title, albeit a very significant one and I'm not underestimating that or that he and his coaching team made huge strides following the Caixinha and Murty debacles.

Steven Gerrard turned from being a figure of fun on FF to a legend as soon as his name was announced.

On page one alone he is described as a legend and a God and we should be grateful if he ever came to a game. :D It's making the man bigger that our club territory.

He left a few years ago and won one title, albeit a very significant one and I'm not underestimating that or that he and his coaching team made huge strides following the Caixinha and Murty debacles.

Steven Gerrard turned from being a figure of fun on FF to a legend as soon as his name was announced.

On page one alone he is described as a legend and a God and we should be grateful if he ever came to a game. :D It's making the man bigger that our club territory.
I don’t think he is a god

But for me he is Rangers legend

Stopped the ten
Gave us our name back in Europe
Transformed lapsed standards at our club

Would have him back at a game as soon soon as is realistic

What a redundant thread to post to validate much, it is filled with people saying what was visible at the time.We were starting to click and goals would come.

We battered hearts at Ibrox, should have scored 4 or 5 didn't, McGregor then chucked one in but you could tell following that game we were going to batter someone soon, and did, we beat Motherwell 6-1 and Ross County 4-2 prior to Gerrard leaving, again in a game we should have scored more, we had missed Kent and most expected an upturn upon his return, which did happen

The period of Gerrard leaving was hinged with a game v Aberdeen that a case could have been made for the game not going ahead but the performances had improved prior to him leaving, following a stop start beginning to the season when Gerrard himself literally had to miss games

Id give Gerrard a very warm reception if he ever comes back and im sure he’d get a very good one from everyone there, if and when it happens. From where we were when gerrard took over to where he managed to take us too should see that every single one of us be grateful for it. We were a mess before he came in needing big changes.

I have no dislike for him at all, could be argued he should have had more help from the board in his final season too with adding quaility that would have stopped it from stagnating like it did.in the end though we had stopped improving so when that happens i think its best for all parties that its best to move on. As much as I appreciate what he done for us, i want what’s best for Rangers football club, not what’s best for Steven Gerrard. I have that opinion for any manager tbh, when things start to stagnate for a prolonged period its time to move. Regardless of what position we are in the league at the time, when holes start appearing in the boat, theres no point waiting until its sank to realise theres a problem, fix the problem before it gets to that stage.

Id give Gerrard a very warm reception if he ever comes back and im sure he’d get a very good one from everyone there, if and when it happens. From where we were when gerrard took over to where he managed to take us too should see that every single one of us be grateful for it. We were a mess before he came in needing big changes.

I have no dislike for him at all, could be argued he should have had more help from the board in his final season too with adding quaility that would have stopped it from stagnating like it did.in the end though we had stopped improving so when that happens i think its best for all parties that its best to move on. As much as I appreciate what he done for us, i want what’s best for Rangers football club, not what’s best for Steven Gerrard. I have that opinion for any manager tbh, when things start to stagnate for a prolonged period its time to move. Regardless of what position we are in the league at the time, when holes start appearing in the boat, theres no point waiting until its sank to realise theres a problem, fix the problem before it gets to that stage.
That last part is exaggerated nonsense in relation to Gerrard, the league season was 12 games in we were top of the league on the back of an unbeaten season the season had been stop start due to Covid and games when the manager couldn’t even attend, there was no signs of prolonged stagnation. If he hadn’t left for Villa he wasn’t on the brink of being sacked as you seem to be implying

Last edited:
I love Gerrard and what he gave us. I would welcome him back in a heartbeat, he was a hero. I can never tell though if he feels the same connection to us still that we feel for him as a club. Sometimes get the feeling we were just a job and thats it over. Basing this on very little to be fair and could be doing him a disservice. Having him in the stands to watch 56 would be amazing.

I get the feeling it’s the opposite.

Suspect it’s the closest connection he’ll ever have outside of Liverpool.

I think he’s a massive bear now.

I get the feeling it’s the opposite.

Suspect it’s the closest connection he’ll ever have outside of Liverpool.

I think he’s a massive bear now.
I genuinely have no idea mate and it was just a feeling. I love the idea of him being a massive bear even still though. He gave us a memory for a lifetime.

I don’t think he is a god

But for me he is Rangers legend

Stopped the ten
Gave us our name back in Europe
Transformed lapsed standards at our club

Would have him back at a game as soon soon as is realistic
This 100% he brought the standards back made us dream delivered the title treated the msm with the contempt they deserve, put the fear in the scum thanks Stevie G welcome back anytime,

I reckon some people would want him back tomorrow if they could they can’t let him go, he was good for us and took us to the next level we needed to go to, let’s not forget his disasters domestically and covid saving his job though.

I reckon some people would want him back tomorrow if they could they can’t let him go, he was good for us and took us to the next level we needed to go to, let’s not forget his disasters domestically and covid saving his job though.

It’s surely a good thing he retained his job and wasn’t sacked given what we achieved?

The 2nd season before the ridiculous injuries we got after the winter break the football that season was arguably best i ever seen from Rangers.

The absolute hammerings we were giving teams away from home ( Dingwall,Easter Road, ) both in the red kit were amazing and the game at Celtic Park at new years we could easily have win 5.1

The 2 legs against Feyenoord and Porto having a go at them no fuckin about.

Thankfully we got everyone fit and had a brilliant 3rd season

Absolutely but can’t ignore the failings either.

He’s a legend for what he done but people have short memories.
They aren’t really ignored, he was nearly sacked, wasn’t, learned from it and won a league. It’s what he was sort of meant to do, it was a building process.

Last edited:
Will always be grateful for 55, he killed their dreams of "the ten" they sang about for 9 years, for that he will always be welcome back at Ibrox. Maybe the way he left before the cup game wasn't the best but 55 will never be forgotten & that is thanks to him.

I don't think covid saved his job yes our form was poor and yes fans were angry particularly after losing to Hamilton. I didn't feel he was anywhere near getting sacked and I'm not sure it would've been financially viable for us to do so. I am very grateful he wasn't sacked as winning 55 was a great achievement and the importance of that title for the club shouldn't be understated.

That last part is exaggerated nonsense in relation to Gerrard, the league season was 12 games in we were top of the league on the back of an unbeaten season the season had been stop start due to Covid and games when the manager couldn’t even attend, there was no signs of prolonged stagnation. If he hadn’t left for Villa he wasn’t on the brink of being sacked as you seem to be implying

Maybe you think it’s acceptable after they games to be beaten by Dundee united, and have 3 draws at home to hearts,Motherwell and Aberdeen. While also conceding first in another 4 of they games. If you think thats acceptable form for us then you cant have very high standards for the club,

This is a quote from Gerrard, seems even he knows theres an issue. Even he could see it but according to you everything was fine.

“We need to reset a few individuals and hopefully when they start performing better it’ll help the collective.

“We have put more pressure on our away games after drawing three at home.

“We are not starting games well enough after conceding first again.

“We need to score first and start better and playing with more control and on the front foot.

Last edited:
Maybe you think it’s acceptable after they games to be beaten by Dundee united, and have 3 draws at home to hearts,Motherwell and Aberdeen. While also conceding first in another 4 of they games. If you think thats acceptable form for us then you cant have very high standards for the club,

This is a quote from Gerrard, seems even he knows theres an issue. Even he could see it but according to you everything was fine.

“We need to reset a few individuals and hopefully when they start performing better it’ll help the collective.

“We have put more pressure on our away games after drawing three at home.

“We are not starting games well enough after conceding first again.

“We need to score first and start better and playing with more control and on the front foot.

Yeah, he was nowhere near to being sacked, at all at that time, your quotes don’t show that either, or even slightly close to that.

Celtic's form post Gerrard was as much a factor in the title going there than our form under Gio - unfortunately for us they kicked into gear and never really let up domestically. I do think Gerrard would have had us performing better in the Old Firm games and that may have given us the edge in the league, but it is hard to say.

As for Europe, Gerrard did well for us in Europe, of that there is no doubt, but at the time he left we were in real danger of going out of the Europa League, and I think Gio's tactics played a massive part in reaching the Europa final so I don't think we'd have replicated that.

Yeah, he was nowhere near to being sacked, at all at that time, your quotes don’t show that either, or even slightly close to that.

i didn’t say he was close to being sacked, i said we had stopped improving as a team and had started going back the way. It had stagnated, there could be arguments he wasn’t given enough help from the board after winning the league, which might have stopped that from happening. What you cant argue is we started declining, and our form was in no way good enough.

He wasn’t at risk of the sack but il tell you what, any manager with the form he had at the start of the season should be worried of the sack, because thats not good enough from someone whos already been here a few seasons and knows what he’s going to be up against week in week out.

i didn’t say he was close to being sacked, i said we had stopped improving as a team and had started going back the way. It had stagnated, there could be arguments he wasn’t given enough help from the board after winning the league, which might have stopped that from happening. What you cant argue is we started declining, and our form was in no way good enough.

He wasn’t at risk of the sack but il tell you what, any manager with the form he had at the start of the season should be worried of the sack, because thats not good enough from someone whos already been here a few seasons and knows what he’s going to be up against week in week out.

The season had barely started. You’re drawing pretty big conclusions based on a very small body of evidence during a really strange time for football.

The form came with conditions, he literally had to miss games because of Covid.

A seasons never fully known in terms of being able to apply what you are after 12 league games, a manager who had gone the season prior unbeaten and was siting top of the league wouldn’t have been considering being sacked FFS

Last edited:
The journey he took us on was amazing and he gave us our swagger back.

If we had the funds to strengthen properly after winning the league we would have went on to dominate for the foreseeable. He had the measure of the beggars and treated them with absolute disdain.

Still love Stevie G. Always will.

I think in a few years, hopefully after some success under Clement, enough time will pass and we will get Stevie G back to Ibrox for a game or charity game.

The season had barely started. You’re drawing pretty big conclusions based on a very small body of evidence during a really strange time for football.

The form came with conditions, he literally had to miss games because of Covid.

A seasons never fully known in terms of being able to apply what you are after 12 league games, a manager who had gone the season prior unbeaten and was siting top of the league wouldn’t have been considering being sacked FFS

The season was more than a quarter through, you keep mentioning Covid, i see you dont mention anything about it the year when we won it. From a footballing side only, Covid was a god send for us. With them not playing we got to play more games than them meaning we had a big gap, every time that team had them chasing us they sh1t the bed. Tha season the gap was quite a bit meaning there was less pressure on the team. They had to play a game with over 10 players missing did they not?.

you might be okay with that sort of form in his last season but the vast majority expect higher standards than that.

The season was more than a quarter through, you keep mentioning Covid, i see you dont mention anything about it the year when we won it. From a footballing side only, Covid was a god send for us. With them not playing we got to play more games than them meaning we had a big gap, every time that team had them chasing us they sh1t the bed. Tha season the gap was quite a bit meaning there was less pressure on the team. They had to play a game with over 10 players missing did they not?.

you might be okay with that sort of form in his last season but the vast majority expect higher standards than that.

I have mentioned Covid yes, the comparison of reference you make with Celtic is fantastic.

Celtic went on a trip half way around the world during the midst of the Pandemic, ripped the absolute piss out of the country and were slated by the Scottish Government for their gross management of that situation, their situation was entirely self inflicted

Gerrard contracted Covid during a time when it was complete misfortune and the country was as open as it had been in about 2 years

You seem to want to apply narrative of seasons on to seasons,

They "sh*t the bed" as a consequence of a points gap between us and them did they? during the period of time when Gerrard apparently should have been thinking about being sacked, a points gap was in place, how are you to know they wouldn't have sh*t the bed again had that gap remined in place...I mean the season was a quarter of the way through, or was it only us who would follow narratives of previous seasons and Gallowgate bars

The "standards" you make mention of are standards most Ranger fans had seen, been through and walked before, the likes of Smith even during our 3 in a row run on his return didn't have winning machine seasons from day 1 to final day, nor had that happened during the 9 in a row era so spare me the idea of nonsensical standards of others you are trying to apply, there hasn't been a time in recent memory when most thought a manager should be thinking of being sacked while sitting 4 points clear following a season when they had won a title no matter how much you want to try and back into this.

Last edited:

We weren't good enough to win the league in either of the first two seasons. The squad didn't have enough depth to remain consistent all season.

The likes of Halliday, Flanagan, Katic, Coulibaly, Lafferty, Grezda, Polster, Middleton, Hastie, Jones, Kamberi, Edmunson as the supporting crew weren't good enough.

When we finally won the league we had a much stronger squad overall and had more players if the required quality. Hagi and Roofe made a huge impact that season. Balogun was excellent for rotating with Helander. Previous to that we were too reliant on the same key players performing and they couldn't drag us through a full season.

He should have won us a treble on 55 season, I don't think that's up for debate. The manner of defeat in the cups that's season was ridiculous. The league cup final in 2019 we should also have won.

I dont think winning those 3 trophies would have really meant much in the grand scheme of things though other than make his tenure look better on paper. The real success was 55 and the European progress. We got way way way more out of the European progression and giving us a reputation again on that stage than winning some more domestic cups would have done.

You'd be forgiven for thinking this post came right off the huddleboard.

You just keep downplaying our title win.:))

We weren't good enough to win the league in either of the first two seasons. The squad didn't have enough depth to remain consistent all season.

The likes of Halliday, Flanagan, Katic, Coulibaly, Lafferty, Grezda, Polster, Middleton, Hastie, Jones, Kamberi, Edmunson as the supporting crew weren't good enough.

When we finally won the league we had a much stronger squad overall and had more players if the required quality. Hagi and Roofe made a huge impact that season. Balogun was excellent for rotating with Helander. Previous to that we were too reliant on the same key players performing and they couldn't drag us through a full season.

He should have won us a treble on 55 season, I don't think that's up for debate. The manner of defeat in the cups that's season was ridiculous. The league cup final in 2019 we should also have won.

I dont think winning those 3 trophies would have really meant much in the grand scheme of things though other than make his tenure look better on paper. The real success was 55 and the European progress. We got way way way more out of the European progression and giving us a reputation again on that stage than winning some more domestic cups would have done.
It's amazing how the Gerrard critics think we could suddenly sweep all aside because Stevie G turned up, our squad was pretty poor in the first couple of seasons, it took until season 3 when we had actual quality in depth.

Steven Gerrard inherited an absolute sh!t show and turned us into title winners again.

For what he achieved, I will be forever grateful to him.

Disappointed the way it ended but will always be fondly remembered for helping give us our club back and the 55th title we all craved.

Last edited:
Be nice to invite him back to Ibrox at some point
The man worked wonders for us both domestically and more so in Europe

Not sure when the Saudi league ends and he is back in the UK , but it would be great to see him back for a visit

I have nothing but love and admiration for Gerrard.

The buzz around the whole of Scottish football when he was announced was unreal.

It's amazing how the Gerrard critics think we could suddenly sweep all aside because Stevie G turned up, our squad was pretty poor in the first couple of seasons, it took until season 3 when we had actual quality in depth.

I should also add that he should have got us into the CL buy he had already taken the huff at not getting money to spend, but we had enough about us to beat Malmo as it was.

The journey he took us on was amazing and he gave us our swagger back.

If we had the funds to strengthen properly after winning the league we would have went on to dominate for the foreseeable. He had the measure of the beggars and treated them with absolute disdain.
This. My crash barrier acquaintances admit that when he was the manager, they generally expected to get beat. Contrast to Gio, Beale, Caixinha etc where they planned an entire day out on the booze, knowing the win was almost a formality.

Back