The Manager

Rightly or wrongly, I think you're spot on.

It's only a matter of time - either in the summer or at some point next season.

The calls for his departure are growing by the week.
The remainder of this season promises to be a real shitshow

It could get really ugly and I'm not certain I see him surviving it

What comes next fills me with even more dread

we could bring in new manager after new manager but if we dont address the cheating by the officials nothing will change.

Gerrard and Gio have both suffered from clancy, collum etc yet here we are still being cheated.
Reality check mate, we aren't losing this league because of referees and we didn't lose yesterday because of referees. Pull your head out your arse.

Thing is we have no idea what a Gio player is. Style, identity? You would have thought he would bring in some midfielders in his style in January. That happened. Are we at risk of bringing in players to suit a style we might not have in 12 months?
I understand that, but we gave GvB the job - we need to back him.

You can’t go down the route of sacking managers every six months because what do you do if the next manager starts poorly - sack him after six months too?

My point is not that I think GvB is or isn’t the right man for the job, my point is that it’s too early to judge him.

Give him time. Let him make the changes he feels are necessary and judge him once he has his team on the park.

The whole "people were delighted when we appointed him" see that, it is and always has been a bit silly TBH, it was the same with Pedro when people were coming out with that months into his tenure.

Of course people get excited by new signings, new managers etc and so on they are meant to, more so on here when new signings and manager threads turn into complete shits and giggles

The reality is, when the facts and evidence changes people will change their opinion, people wont just cling to a manager because they thought it was a laugh for a few days on FF when they were appointed.

Feel as if we need to give the manager time. One January transfer window is not enough to judge a manager on.

There are players at the club who are Steven Gerrard’s men. Joe Aribo being one of them.

Football is a mental place where managers are sacked after 10-15 games in charge. I hope we don’t go down this route because if we do it’s a very slippery slope.

GvB May well turn out to be a poor choice by the board, but we gave him the job, and we should back him. We should give him at least one full season IMO.

We have a massive game this Thursday, let’s stick by the players and the management team!
The time to back him was 3 months ago.

They didn’t, they’ve hung him out to dry and hoped for a miracle

The talk before a ball was kicked was about the league. It was a must win.

We’ve surrendered that. Celtic also probably lift yet another treble and gain entry to the Champions League.

GvB won’t deliver a trophy. He’ll get the summer and we will be in the same situation next season because there is absolutely nothing in this management team that screams a plan or success. People can kid themselves all they want but inside Ibrox and around the pubs on match day there are a large number of people that want van Bronckhorst gone.

Any possible Scottish Cup win this season is already feeling like the 07/08 Final of, get this the f*ck out my sight TBH.

I keep seeing this that the scum have invested 25 million but they are complete net spenders. They got 15-million for Edouard, 13-million for Ajer and a couple of million for Christie.

That was also the smart thing to do. Sell players who've performed well but showing signs of being at the end of their cycle with that team, and re-invest it in players hungry to prove themselves.

Past Celtic boards would have sat on the funds and clobbered together some journeymen and a ROI youth player to appease the hordes - instead they went out and put £25m back in. Sadly for us they've learned from their mistakes.

Any possible Scottish Cup win this season is already feeling like the 07/08 Final of, get this the f*ck out my sight TBH.
Agree. I just don’t want them winning it, but I couldn’t give a toss about it really.
The only reason to give a feck about it is the 10 year wait to lift a domestic cup.

Lets be honest we were all delighted with the appointment of GVB. He will get next season and rightly so. We have a squad full of losers which has been proven time and time again, the problems have been there long before Gio.

Nobody batted an eye at 3.5 years when he signed.
Its rather easy to...with hindsight.

Our team has a weak underbelly and until you cut that out, the manger won't make a huge difference.

Having said that, there are some changes he could make and doesn't.

Everyone at the club is getting it in the neck at the moment!!

The club may have inserted a severance clause, who knows.

The scatter gun since yesterday has gone in to overdrive. Trying to take a balanced view and I don’t think there was much between the 2 teams yesterday, we certainly didn’t deserve to lose!!

I wasn’t for GvB getting the job but we need to give him a chance to build his own team. The squad is full of players that can’t win trophies (the ones who can should have retired last year). Gerrard couldn’t get them winning, GvB won’t get them winning!!

Last season, as good as it was, looks to have been a one off!!

No idea why this was done, surely the sensible way of going is a one year rolling deal initially so see how its working out? We are probably in a position we cant afford to sack him and his staff even if we wanted to.

We have learned nothing from the Pedro debacle, we are in a similar position now of needing a squad rebuild done by a manager that loads of fans have serious concerns with, a bad start to next season and he will be hounded out by Halloween and were left with his signings.
I thought it was a 2.5 year deal?

99% of the people on here were happy at the appointment, including me. Let’s not kid ourselves. Now is not the time for knee jerk reactions. If we had VAR in our league we would still be top.

We’ve been doing it for years with players like Dodoo, Greg Stewart, O’Halloran, Barker, Hastie etc so it’s no surprise we do it with managers either.

Lets be honest we were all delighted with the appointment of GVB. He will get next season and rightly so. We have a squad full of losers which has been proven time and time again, the problems have been there long before Gio.
Those who weren’t desperate for an ex player didn’t want him.
Those who paid attention to what Feyenoord fans said didn’t want him.
I never wanted him to step foot in the door again after how he left, his CV is hardly glittering either.
He was a cheap option with the box ticked of being an ex player.

Whoever the manager is next season GVB or someone else they've got one heck of a job in front of them.

We immediately start off at a massive financial disadvantage and face four more European qualifiers to get group stage football while that lot can fully concentrate on the league in the early stages without distraction.

Even if we brought in £25m from player sales I can't see us spending more than about £12-14m of that money trying to rebuild the squad which isn't a lot considering what needs done.

We either need to win the Europa or find some outside investment or it won't matter much who we have in charge to be blunt.

No idea why this was done, surely the sensible way of going is a one year rolling deal initially so see how its working out? We are probably in a position we cant afford to sack him and his staff even if we wanted to.

We have learned nothing from the Pedro debacle, we are in a similar position now of needing a squad rebuild done by a manager that loads of fans have serious concerns with, a bad start to next season and he will be hounded out by Halloween and were left with his signings.
Our club is run by amateurs they are completely out there depth., I actually Fcuking despise them. The lot need cleared out inc Robertson, Graham, Wilson, and GVB if he doesn’t win the Scottish Cup.

I can't be too critical of the board or Ross Wilson for this.

I wanted Gio.. I felt at the time he was the obvious choice for us given the circumstances.

If the board felt he was the right man they were correct to offer him a longer term contract.

Unfortunately it's clearly not going to work out but I'm not sure the board have done a lot wrong in terms of contract length.

I have never read so much rubbish in all my life. SG got 3 years despite blowing up twice after Christmas and winning no domestic cups! Europe was his best until the magnificent 55. Now your all shouting for Gio to go! Give him time to rebuild the squad and shape it. Too many of our players off the pace and can’t do the basics at the back. Who would you all replace him with? Unless Pep Gaurdiola is free any time soon! Calm down. Aye it hurts but if we can be patient with SG we can do the same here!

There were no other candidates. Can't believe anybody swallowed that pish at the time. We wanted Gio, he wanted to come, easy win.

We went down the easy route. Absolutely no planning because GvB isn’t a patch on Gerrard in any way; formation, tactics, style, attitude, demeanour, the way he deals with players, press, media etc.

An ex player and watch the support love it.

Still stuck in the past. Our club is so out dated it’s pathetic.

There were no other candidates. Can't believe anybody swallowed that pish at the time. We wanted Gio, he wanted to come, easy win.
For a DOF not to have list if candidates is a disgrace. He should be sacked

Those who weren’t desperate for an ex player didn’t want him.
Those who paid attention to what Feyenoord fans said didn’t want him.
I never wanted him to step foot in the door again after how he left, his CV is hardly glittering either.
He was a cheap option with the box ticked of being an ex player.
You dont reach a European quarter final without having some decent managerial skills. Gerrard couldnt get these players winning domestically and neither will he. Last years title was a one off with these players

we could bring in new manager after new manager but if we dont address the cheating by the officials nothing will change.

Gerrard and Gio have both suffered from clancy, collum etc yet here we are still being cheated.

Cringe post

I keep seeing this that the scum have invested 25 million but they are complete net spenders. They got 15-million for Edouard, 13-million for Ajer and a couple of million for Christie.
Said on another thread, don't see any reason we can't rake in £25m for Kent, Kamara, Aribo and (sadly) Morelos and use it to build a new squad. It's exactly what they've done, although it comes down to whether you'd trust our recruitment.

If we lose the semi final the heat will be white hot on a manager losing 3 old firm games in 7 weeks as well as the point swing in the league.
Personally i think he needs to be judged on his own players.
Yesterday our players even made the tim whipping boy Greg Taylor look good.

If he can’t organise and motivate a team to beat a mentally challenged outfit who have been schooled by umpteen very ordinary European teams, he’s not the right man.
Let him bring in his own players
- did Feyenoord get better or worse when he did that there? Would he bring in players that play the way we have been, or would he just build a team that defends, as that seems to be his mantra?
In this league we have to beat everyone else on the assumption that the mentally challengeds will beat them - but also be able to beat the mentally challengeds as well.

Definitely a part of the problem this season no doubt about it. The “we should be good enough to overcome it” viewpoint isn’t good enough. So many game changing decisions have gone against us and for them this season it’s unreal.

Said on another thread, don't see any reason we can't rake in £25m for Kent, Kamara, Aribo and (sadly) Morelos and use it to build a new squad. It's exactly what they've done, although it comes down to whether you'd trust our recruitment.

It simply has to happen.

Do I think it will. No. Ross Wilson is hopeless. Just ask Southampton supporters. Even if it did, I don’t expect Wilson or GvB to get it right. You just know when something isn’t going to work out.

You dont reach a European quarter final without having some decent managerial skills. Gerrard couldnt get these players winning domestically and neither will he. Last years title was a one off with these players
Loosely translated as, we are fucked. Because we won’t spend the money required to catch them and don’t have a manager who can beat them with the tools he has

Exactly this.

For all the bluster about “succession planning” and rolling manager shortlists it was pretty clear that despite some suggestions to the contrary the Board and Wilson were caught cold by Gerrard leaving and weren’t remotely expecting it.

Timing being what it was we panicked and took the obvious option. I will say the urgency of it made sense at the time to stop the season spiralling out of control and gifting them another treble but GVB is making a cracking job of that regardless.

SG would have been sacked if they won 10. But I think the other side of it was true also having done the job with Rangers he was always likely to want a move-a new challenge and closer to his family. The timing was wrong though and between himself and the Board this should have been sorted out at the start of the season...if it could maybe it was no more complicated than the AV job coming up -what should have happened though is we got a manager in who wanted to play something close to the existing system or alternatively had a plan the squad could work to. That's clearly not happened.

My gut feeling is that the board/Wilson wanted someone who they felt could get us over the line this season by keeping things ticking over before a hard reset in the summer in terms of a massive rebuild, tactics, playing style. Preferably with a large CL cheque to cover it.

Whether you were for or against Gio, the facts are it and him have failed and failed badly.

There is no credibility in the bank apart from Dortmund.

There is no huge support in here for giving Gio time to make his mark on the team and the squad, especially after a poor defeat like yesterday. January is rarely the time to make proactive signings unless you really have buckets of cash. What you get are reactive signings based on whoever is available for whatever the reason and within your price and wage bracket. The summer is a big one. We have to identify better players that we can realistically afford. We also probably need a commanding keeper, a commanding centre half and a more than 15 goals centre forward. The spine of the team in fact. Do we have confidence in Gio and Ross Wilson to deliver this in one window though?

I still can’t believe people still think we would get rid of the manager without giving him a summer transfer window to build his own team. Especially when his win ratio is one of our best ever. Two old firm games don’t amount to a p45 and we need to stop getting so worked up and thinking they do!

When a couple of his fellow countrymen and former teammates said they were surprised he got the Rangers job, that tells you quite a lot.

The job looks like it is going to swallow him up. Inherited a team of champions and allowed a 12 point swing in the rats favour.

Extremely hard to recover from that, but we need to stay behind him because he won't be getting sacked.

My gut feeling is that the board/Wilson wanted someone who they felt could get us over the line this season by keeping things ticking over before a hard reset in the summer in terms of a massive rebuild, tactics, playing style. Preferably with a large CL cheque to cover it.

Whether you were for or against Gio, the facts are it and him have failed and failed badly.

There is no credibility in the bank apart from Dortmund.

21 points from the last 36 is sacking form. Shambolic.

Back