The Manager

What if he wouldn't accept a one year deal?

Personally?

You walk away.

I get that there may be an opportunity to sign a manager of huge gravitas now and again, and then a long term deal is fair enough. GVB though? I don’t think he was in any position to be dictating terms to us in the first place.

3.5 years in mental here tbh, given how inpatient the fanbase are. Make no mistake, we could be looking at a very difficult couple of weeks, in which case I believe the majority would be calling for him to go.

Personally?

You walk away.

I get that there may be an opportunity to sign a manager of huge gravitas now and again, and then a long term deal is fair enough. GVB though? I don’t think he was in any position to be dictating terms to us in the first place.

3.5 years in mental here tbh, given how inpatient the fanbase are. Make no mistake, we could be looking at a very difficult couple of weeks, in which case I believe the majority would be calling for him to go.
Walk away - and hire who?

Can you imagine 'the fanbase' if we'd not closed a deal with vB?

To be honest it works both ways, having a manager on a long term contract got us the big fee for Gerrard
I don’t think it really matters. If a club want a manager they will pay up no matter the length of his contract. A couple of years extra on the contract won’t make a huge difference.

It’s not like a player when the buying club can wait 6 months for the fee to reduce or disappear.

Rightly or wrongly, I think you're spot on.

It's only a matter of time - either in the summer or at some point next season.

The calls for his departure are growing by the week.

He won’t stand another 2 defeats of them he will be gone after the cup game v them

Walk away - and hire who?

Can you imagine 'the fanbase' if we'd not closed a deal with vB?

The ‘hire who’ is always a bit redundant to me. I mean, it’s not my job to identify managerial targets, but I’ve got to presume (or at least hope) that we hadn’t pinned all of our hopes on one man.

I don’t believe a 3.5 year deal is the correct option for us, under all but the most unique of circumstances, and I don’t believe Gio has close to the managerial reputation to warrant that kind of deal.

My gut feeling is that the board/Wilson wanted someone who they felt could get us over the line this season by keeping things ticking over before a hard reset in the summer in terms of a massive rebuild, tactics, playing style. Preferably with a large CL cheque to cover it.

Whether you were for or against Gio, the facts are it and him have failed and failed badly.

There is no credibility in the bank apart from Dortmund.
He'll have to be given more time, but given their different starting points it can't be the 3-years that Gerrard got. Given he couldn't get it over the line this season, if it's second place again next season then he's out.

The ‘hire who’ is always a bit redundant to me. I mean, it’s not my job to identify managerial targets, but I’ve got to presume (or at least hope) that we hadn’t pinned all of our hopes on one man.

I don’t believe a 3.5 year deal is the correct option for us, under all but the most unique of circumstances, and I don’t believe Gio has close to the managerial reputation to warrant that kind of deal.
You'll agree though that hiring a top manager half way through a season who wants to come to Scotland and whom we can afford is tricky?

You'll agree though that hiring a top manager half way through a season who wants to come to Scotland and whom we can afford is tricky?

Absolutely - hiring a top manager is tricky full stop.

Gio isn’t that though, and that’s why for me we shouldn’t have put a lengthy deal on the table.

Worst case scenario, which is sadly a real possibility, we go out of Europe and the Scottish cup in the next couple of weeks. If that was to happen, a massive chunk of our support would turn on him.

Nobody batted an eye at 3.5 years when he signed.
Its rather easy to...with hindsight.

Our team has a weak underbelly and until you cut that out, the manger won't make a huge difference.

Having said that, there are some changes he could make and doesn't.
I did, I couldn't believe it, I didn't want him to start with, a very convenient ex player appointment. I also read the feyenoord fans forum who were warning us about him, so far it's been proven.

we could bring in new manager after new manager but if we dont address the cheating by the officials nothing will change.

Gerrard and Gio have both suffered from clancy, collum etc yet here we are still being cheated.
no point bothering mate, most have decided the team are bad which in certain ways they have been

it's not the refs who are losing us points, it's the players. Notice how "proficient" Celtic are in Europe compared to Scotland, wonder why that might be?

The problem is we were desperate. A lot of people seen through the "we have other candidates" nonsense, including Gio's agent.

We lost a manager at an important juncture in our season and we needed someone in quickly.

There was huge fan pressure to get Gio over the line. You could tell by the attitudes on here and Twitter that Gio, and only Gio would be satisfactory to a large percentage of the support. The mere suggestion of another candidate seen certain people on here throwing their toys out of the pram like big babies.

If we were sitting in the position we are now with another manager, everybody would be saying "this wouldn't have happened if we just brought Gio in like the fans suggested."

Personally?

You walk away.

He was if he was the only candidate we were actually talking to, and that’s on the Board and Ross Wilson.

It really wasn’t difficult to see through the smokescreen of the ‘other candidates’ at the time, and I’m sure GVB and his agent were well aware of that.

He'll have to be given more time, but given their different starting points it can't be the 3-years that Gerrard got. Given he couldn't get it over the line this season, if it's second place again next season then he's out.
Out of interest, why will he have to be given more time?

There are plenty of people who still believe he‘ll be a success and I genuinely, genuinely hope they’re right. But others have posted along the lines of “well, we have him now and need to give him time and money”. I just find it baffling. If you think you’ve make a mistake then you correct it, not double down on it just because you’ve made it. If you think you’ve made a mistake why not correct it now, rather than 18 months and millions of pounds later.

As I think @SDF said elsewhere in the thread, doubling down on a mistake is basically the strategy we took with Pedro Caixinha. I’m not suggesting Gio is anywhere near as catastrophic, but the same principle applies if we don’t think he has it.

Felt at the time it was a lazy appointment and not seen much to change my mind. Good performances against Dortmund and RSB in the Europa league do not make up for how poor we've been domestically under him.

It's not solely on the manager though, those in positions behind the scenes, namely our DoF, are not doing enough to help by the looks of it which doesn't give me a lot of confidence going into the summer.

Do people feel comfortable giving him the summer transfer window? I genuinely have no clue what his approach is.
So he sat in the Hampden Stand with his wife on Day 1 as if he was a VIP, the team he put out at The Piggery shat it more than any other Rangers team in history, he allowed Nathan Patterson to leave (the one guy our team should have been built around for the next decade), his team bottled it on at least 5 games we should have one that we end up drawing and then we take Celtic apart yesterday until they equalise on their first attack and then his team shat it again ……. I agree most of this team are shitbags not up for the fight - but GIO has got every big decision WRONG in the domestic competitions …… there is NO pressure on him or the team in Europe and guess what …… then they show up when there is no pressure - not good enough to be Rangers manager !!!!

This is clutching at straws to find something to blame the board for.

A 3 year contract is very standard. No good coach would accept a 1 year contract - it's instantly saying the club don't trust you before you even start.

Some people just want to find any and all reason to blame the board. They've made mistakes and need to be held accountable to them, but signing Gio was not one of them. He was the obvious candidate and the one the majority of fans wanted.

Logically there’s no way he’s being sacked after less than a season and with Europa League run he’s had, despite the domestic collapse.

He’ll get the summer and he SHOULD get the backing then to build his own team for the next campaign to show what he can do without the shackles of a team that looked to be past its best before he took over.

Goldson’s words at Hampden shouldn’t be forgotten. The squad had chucked it. They felt 55 was job done.

Gio was picking them up in that mindset and on a slide.

His job was to turn that round and see us over the line - he’s failed in that respect and has very little credit in the bank. What little is there comes from a handful of big nights as underdogs in Europe.

I expect that to come to an end soon and he’ll live and die on whether he can deliver trophies.

He has one window to assert himself now and show us what GVB Rangers actually is.

The manager needs the chance to build his own team just like every manager before him. Talk of getting rid at this point is ridiculous.
Oh, so making the wrong tactical decisions during league matches will be fixed by doing it with different players?

Do yourself a favour mate, the guy is a dud.

There was a stage we were all looking him in the door to replace Gerrard, with some even suggesting he was a step up in quality. Let’s not rewrite history because it hasn’t worked out

No idea why this was done, surely the sensible way of going is a one year rolling deal initially so see how its working out? We are probably in a position we cant afford to sack him and his staff even if we wanted to.

We have learned nothing from the Pedro debacle, we are in a similar position now of needing a squad rebuild done by a manager that loads of fans have serious concerns with, a bad start to next season and he will be hounded out by Halloween and were left with his signings.

While I agree with your post and have no time for the board, we weren't complaining at the time. Maybe you were personally, I don't know.

The majority of fans wanted him in and were delighted to secure him on a long deal.

I am also in the Gio isn't working camp but I was happy we got him in to start with.

He's inherited an over-rated group of players who have under-performed domestically for 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Some of them will shortly be out the door and it shows. The lack of squad rotation indicates that there's quite a number he doesn't fancy.

He's inherited an over-rated group of players who have under-performed domestically for 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Some of them will shortly be out the door and it shows. The lack of squad rotation indicates that there's quite a number he doesn't fancy.
All that may be true. But you said “he’ll have to be” given time and money, I took from that that you’re unconvinced that he deserves to be, which may have been my misunderstanding.

are plenty of people who still believe he‘ll be a success and I genuinely, genuinely hope they’re right. But others have posted along the lines of “well, we have him now and need to give him time and money”. I just find it baffling. If you think you’ve make a mistake then you correct it, not double down on it just because you’ve made it. If you think you’ve made a mistake why not correct it now, rather than 18 months and millions of pounds later.

As I think @SDF said elsewhere in the thread, doubling down on a mistake is basically the strategy we took with Pedro Caixinha. I’m not suggesting Gio is anywhere near as catastrophic, but the same principle applies if we don’t think he has it.
I don’t see much evidence of this being a popular view

There are plenty of people who still believe he‘ll be a success and I genuinely, genuinely hope they’re right. But others have posted along the lines of “well, we have him now and need to give him time and money”. I just find it baffling. If you think you’ve make a mistake then you correct it, not double down on it just because you’ve made it. If you think you’ve made a mistake why not correct it now, rather than 18 months and millions of pounds later.

Right now I don't see Gio as our manager by summer 2023.

He doesn't have the goodwill or the belief of the support that he can challenge Celtic next season.

Right now I don't see Gio as our manager by summer 2023.

He doesn't have the goodwill or the belief of the support that he can challenge Celtic next season.
This has the Caixinha sacking written all over it.

Let Gio stumble into 22/23 and sack him when the title is over when the shops start putting the Christmas decorations out.

We seen an improvement almost immediately. An identity, everybody knows knew their jobs, we were very well organised. That's the part people are missing. I have no idea what Gio is trying to do and he hasn't made his mark on the team. We've went backwards.
This is nonsense Gerrard lost a lot of games people seem to only remember the 55 season under him and forget the other disappointments.

All that may be true. But you said “he’ll have to be” given time and money, I took from that that you’re unconvinced that he deserves to be, which may have been my misunderstanding.
In truth I'm not altogether convinced, not getting it over the line this season is a failure.

Given the relevant other factors aside from the group of players (e.g. lack of successful squad investment from January and before, his reasonably successful track-record in the Netherlands, playing experience both at elite level and in Scotland with Rangers, tactical success in Europe this season) and the limited funds available post COVID for a rebuild, a realistic and responsible approach is for him to be given more time.

In truth I'm not altogether convinced, not getting it over the line this season is a failure.

Given the relevant other factors aside from the group of players (e.g. lack of successful squad investment from January and before, his reasonably successful track-record in the Netherlands, playing experience both at elite level and in Scotland with Rangers, tactical success in Europe this season) and the limited funds available post COVID for a rebuild, a realistic and responsible approach is for him to be given more time.
Fair enough; I understand your point of view. I think we both have the same view of the facts but have arrived at different conclusions on the outcome.

He was if he was the only candidate we were actually talking to, and that’s on the Board and Ross Wilson.

It really wasn’t difficult to see through the smokescreen of the ‘other candidates’ at the time, and I’m sure GVB and his agent were well aware of that.

If he was the only candidate we were engaged with, then that’s the most worrying aspect of the whole thing.

Logically there’s no way he’s being sacked after less than a season and with Europa League run he’s had, despite the domestic collapse.

He’ll get the summer and he SHOULD get the backing then to build his own team for the next campaign to show what he can do without the shackles of a team that looked to be past its best before he took over.

Goldson’s words at Hampden shouldn’t be forgotten. The squad had chucked it. They felt 55 was job done.

Gio was picking them up in that mindset and on a slide.

His job was to turn that round and see us over the line - he’s failed in that respect and has very little credit in the bank. What little is there comes from a handful of big nights as underdogs in Europe.

I expect that to come to an end soon and he’ll live and die on whether he can deliver trophies.

He has one window to assert himself now and show us what GVB Rangers actually is.

I'm not so sure.

There is always a big area that the punters don't see and that's behind the scenes-the relationship between the manager and the squad and of course how the Board see him in overall terms. If that's not right then he might be toast.

Goldson's words were completely taken out of context but the fans absolutely love a bonfire with the players. Goldson was wanted out the club and out the team and yet all things being equal he's been largely excellent this season.

There is a lot of anger directed towards the players generally-we are that type of club-we bounce to extremes but it is what it is nobody can even remotely say they haven't had a series of personal and collective disasters.

But fundamentally management isn't just about bringing in your own players -it's about a whole raft of things-Gio looks out of his depth and his personality is like it or lump it another negative factor. Can we afford to allow him to rebuild? I'm far from sure.

When Gio first came in we hit the ground running partly due to the 'new manager bounce', I guess.

Fast forward 5 months and realistically the wheels have came off the season and we've went from a strength of position to a real chance of finishing with nothing to show for it. We may not win any silverware this year.

Some of our best players have dropped off a cliff form-wise, gradually, since Gio came in... Aribo & Kent.

Some of the names that were guaranteed game time pre-Gio, like Barasic, Davis, Kamara etc aren't getting the minutes they used to.

Boys brought in to play but aren't playing... Diallo, Itten, Sands.

Boys not getting a start but watching Aribo contribute nothing week in, week out.. Lowry, Diallo, Sakala, Kamara..

This isn't a question of "is the manager right?", that's another argument. My point is, has Gio bombed too many players out and upset the dressing room? I feel like he's lost the players already. Something isn't right and going by Gio's XI every week it's clear half the squad aren't getting a look in. He's been too quick to throw some to the sidelines, he isn't using his squad and his squad aren't using him.

This is clutching at straws to find something to blame the board for.

A 3 year contract is very standard. No good coach would accept a 1 year contract - it's instantly saying the club don't trust you before you even start.

Some people just want to find any and all reason to blame the board. They've made mistakes and need to be held accountable to them, but signing Gio was not one of them. He was the obvious candidate and the one the majority of fans wanted.

Why was he the obvious candidate.

Out of work, cheap, ex player?

There were better managers out there. We went down the easy route.

While I agree with your post and have no time for the board, we weren't complaining at the time. Maybe you were personally, I don't know.

The majority of fans wanted him in and were delighted to secure him on a long deal.

I am also in the Gio isn't working camp but I was happy we got him in to start with.

Understand what you’re saying and not meaning to jump on your post here, but I’ve seen ‘the majority of fans wanted him/this’ stated a few times on hear, with regards to poor team selection and now a questionable managerial appointment.

For me, the majority of fans wanting something is absolutely no measure of it being the right decision. If it was, we would be as well doing away with a board or a manger entirely and just opening it up to a vote among STH.

To be honest it works both ways, having a manager on a long term contract got us the big fee for Gerrard
That was after 3 and a bit seasons of, largely, good work. I don’t think there was any danger of GvB being poached before the end of the season. Celtic initially gave Rodgers a manager who’s reputation was much higher than GvBs, a one year deal before agreeing on a longer term one after it was clear he was going to be successful

Understand what you’re saying and not meaning to jump on your post here, but I’ve seen ‘the majority of fans wanted him/this’ stated a few times on hear, with regards to poor team selection and now a questionable managerial appointment.

For me, the majority of fans wanting something is absolutely no measure of it being the right decision. If it was, we would be as well doing away with a board or a manger entirely and just opening it up to a vote among STH.

I actually meant to clarify in my post that this is the difference between being a fan and being in charge of running the club so agree with you

I think you are spot on with how he's managed the squad. He's completely isolated players whom might have done a job as a sub and overall he's ran players into the ground. Yesterday we had three attacking players-one of them was unlikely to come on and the other was Arfield. We had a centre forward and a winger who whilst not at the required standard might just have given us something who weren't even in the squad.

Also Kamara whom I never rated as highly as some has been treated quite shabbily when he has been a big component of our build to 55. You can only guess what the players make of it.

Fair enough; I understand your point of view. I think we both have the same view of the facts but have arrived at different conclusions on the outcome.
I tend to go with the Lord Salisbury approach - Why change? Things are bad enough already.

Back