Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything less than 15 million for kamara is daylight robbery. Even though we only paid 50k you look at some of the fees players not even at his level go for it's mind blowing.
To be fair if we were going to lose a saleable mid to front asset, I'd rather it was Aribo, though preferable we lose none. Kamara is almost always a first pick in midfield whilst with the addition of Sakala we have plenty options for the wide/number 10 positions wher many thought Aribo was best deployed.

Simpson is rotten tbh! He’s been here since January and yet to see him have a decent game for us. He gets bullied and has a mistake in him.

He’s looked unsure when compared to the other centre backs, but to say he’s rotten is nonsense. He needs more time to make a reasonable judgement on him. If he doesn’t improve, fine, but he needs to be given the chance to settle.

Cheers.

I always presumed they’d be the two leave, however I thought Edmundson would head back down South to be honest.

Interesting that he’s only going on loan, perhaps we had no suitors wanting to take him on full time.
I know it's that football insider but strange we would knock back 3 alleged bids for Edmundson to then loan him to Motherwell for the season.

Can’t really imagine Katic in a St Johnstone shirt.

Guess it allows him to stay in Glasgow and travel through for training.

Someone said that beliefs are often the most dangerous enemies of truth.

Every time I saw him - and I gave him the benefit of doubt, as he was new to the club and hardly had any game time - he didn`t exactly look out of place. I took the liberty and checked the stats of last season, he played one game in the Premiership pre-split, a 4-1 win against the Arabs, for 23 mins. Then he played the full 90 mins vs St. Johnstone, the Scum, Livingston and Aberdeen post-split, when we conceeded 2 goals. truth be told, he also played 9 and 12 mins vs Slavia and St. Johnstone respectively in the EL and SFA Cup. These are just blank facts, but I do remember that with every game he played, he looked more composed and assured on the ball. I would assume that SG knew whom and what he would get when he decided to go for him.
Have to disagree on this one mate, I saw a player who made those around him(and me watching) nervous.
Don't get me wrong he could have a great pre season with the class coaches we have and turn into a very good player given time, that's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Realistically though, CH's that don't perform well early in their Rangers career don't tend to make it with us. Especially ones that don't have the physical aspect required for the sphell.
I'd be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong btw, but the odds are stacked against the player.

And like it or not that's the harsh reality of playing for a club like ours.

Katic needs games to build himself back up, no point in going anywhere he won't play if fit. A move down is temporarily the best thing for him, and he will get the bonus of a few European matches too.

But Edmundson to Motherwell is totally wrong for the player. We might like it as it strengthens a Celtic opponent for 3 or 4 games a season, but it does nothing for Edmundson at all. If we agree to that move, he has to revise it and ask for a permanent transfer back south.

It doesn’t really matter where the FF experts want Aribo played though does it? Gerrard starts him in the midfield 3 in almost every game.
We were running low on midfielders last season with Arfield and Jack being injured and Zungu being not as good as hoped.

Could be why he played more in midfield than further forward (he played a decent amount of games further forward too).

I think St Johnstone would be a great move for him. They aren’t the heed it and hoof it merchants some think they are.

I reckon theyll give Hibs a run for there money this year for 3rd.
Not only that, they’ll be playing a decent balance between attacking and defending.
AND, it’s games Celtic

Lets be real Simpson has looked well shaky at times but its very early days

He will need to improve greatly if he's to be our third choice CB given Helanders injury record

I've seen nothing to suggest Simpson is better than Edmundson or Katic from what I've seen of him so far.

What Simpson does have though is he's left-footed. Our long pursuit of Jake Cooper, our eventual signing of Helander and now Simpson show how much Gerrard values having a proper left sided player in that position.

If the current rumours about Katic and Edmundson are true then we are shaping up thusly:

Helander and Simpson as the left-sided options
Goldson and Balogun as the right-sided options

Bassey back-up to the four

Katic, Edmundson go on loan

Mayo and King as emergency back-up options

The criticism of Simpson so soon into his career here isn't surprising for a place like FF, sadly. He's a player that looks, to me, like he has potential. He's likely to be fourth choice (If Helander gets injured then Balogun would probably play that left-sided position ahead of Simpson) and i've got no doubt he'll improve over time with our coaching staff.

It's silly to think that we sign a player at a certain level and they just stay at that level while they are with is. We buy players with potential or specific attributes the gaffer values and the great coaching staff we have try to make them better. It's how it has to be.

What Simpson does have though is he's left-footed. Our long pursuit of Jake Cooper, our eventual signing of Helander and now Simpson show how much Gerrard values having a proper left sided player in that position.

If the current rumours about Katic and Edmundson are true then we are shaping up thusly:

Helander and Simpson as the left-sided options
Goldson and Balogun as the right-sided options

Bassey back-up to the four

Katic, Edmundson go on loan

Mayo and King as emergency back-up options

The criticism of Simpson so soon into his career here isn't surprising for a place like FF, sadly. He's a player that looks, to me, like he has potential. He's likely to be fourth choice (If Helander gets injured then Balogun would probably play that left-sided position ahead of Simpson) and i've got no doubt he'll improve over time with our coaching staff.

It's silly to think that we sign a player at a certain level and they just stay at that level while they are with is. We buy players with potential or specific attributes the gaffer values and the great coaching staff we have try to make them better. It's how it has to be.

Not wanting to bash Simpson but there would be a huge drop off from Helander to him which would be cause for concern

Not wanting to bash Simpson but there would be a huge drop off from Helander to him which would be cause for concern

Of course there is. That's why one is first choice and one is about fourth choice at best.

If Ruben Dias gets injured for Man City and Nathan Ake comes in for him, it's a fair drop off in quality isn't it? We are no different to any other team in that regard.

I think if Helander gets injured then we'd see Balogun come in before Simpson. We can't have four central defenders of equal calibre, that just isn't how football works.

We have Goldson and Helander as our first choice, quality pairing, an experienced deputy in Balogun and a player with potential in Simpson. It makes sense, to me anyway.

We were running low on midfielders last season with Arfield and Jack being injured and Zungu being not as good as hoped.

Could be why he played more in midfield than further forward (he played a decent amount of games further forward too).
No that's not what it was though. I can't actually remember a single domestic game where Jack started and Aribo played in the forward 3 rather than in the middle 3. I've done a quick search and every game I checked he was in the midfield 3 with Jack.
Also, Kemar Roofe missed just as many league games as Ryan Jack and he was a stick-on starter in the forward 3.

Makes it easier for him to work alongside our physios as well. Just a short drive down the road. Send him abroad, then we are at the mercy of another teams medical department.
This is a point that is often overlooked when we talk about loaning players out. Doesn't even need to be a player in re-hab.

We could still have our players following our diet plans and fitness / gym work while training and playing with another club.

Would be easy enough to have a club rep visit them every couple of weeks and see how they are progressing.

Keeps that connection with the club as well, certainly for players we may wish to have back.

To be fair if we were going to lose a saleable mid to front asset, I'd rather it was Aribo, though preferable we lose none. Kamara is almost always a first pick in midfield whilst with the addition of Sakala we have plenty options for the wide/number 10 positions wher many thought Aribo was best deployed.
It’s a little bit Sophie’s Choice- I get that. However Kamara is a more conventional, coachable player where as you can’t teach what Aribo has. I think both will get better and better but Aribo gets you on the edge of your seat

Being honest here, I haven’t necessarily seen much from Simpson that makes me think he has potential but by the same token I’m not going to write him off as it could simply just be a case of taking some time to settle in.

The Joey Veerman thing doesn’t seem to be going away.

I would love to get him in.

You could say he is cracked from the similar style of play as Veratti, a season or two with Davis ushering him along and he could be the DM pillar we need, moving forward.

He has all the attributes we request of that position.

Good at breaking up play, accurate passer of the ball, gets up the park, provides assists and scores goals.
I really hope we can get him in.

Being honest here, I haven’t necessarily seen much from Simpson that makes me think he has potential but by the same token I’m not going to write him off as it could simply just be a case of taking some time to settle in.

The positives I have taken from him so far are that, he wants to play the ball out.

He has a very good touch for a defender.

He has looked slightly anxious, but having a defensive partner and good communication with the keeper are something that comes with time, as you say.

I have a good feeling about him, I hope he settles.

No chance, Aribo has the potential to be even better than Kamara, just got to find his right position

I thought Simpson was excellent in the 4-1 game v them especially after picking up an early booking. I’ve not seen enough of him to make a final judgement but I don’t get the rush to write him off. Another central defensive option suffering from the “he’s not Niko” way of thinking?

He's still young for a centre back and has put in a lot of very good performances, I don't think it's a blind spot, just people not wanting to write him off as hastily as others.
I agree he's young and could possibly improve but the folks saying he's a better option than Balogun are imo very wrong there is a reason why Goldson was so consistent last season and why when fit Helander was excellent and it's because they had an experienced international quality player behind them waiting to take his chance

No chance, Aribo has the potential to be even better than Kamara, just got to find his right position
It,s an opinion. If we were playing an important game tomorrow against tough opposition with everyone fit for a midfield slot, I very much doubt Aribo would be selected ahead of Kamara, Davis, Jack or Lundstram, possibly even Arfield.

Or Kent, or Tavernier, or Barisic.

Agreed. Even those younger players who came in and played well from the off - Aribo, Kamara etc. all of them are far better players than they are today, compared to when they first joined.

The theme I see with the first team squad is that if the Attitude is correct, Gerrard & co seem to improve them. I've got no doubts that if given time Simpson will continue to improve as a player.

For us to go out and buy an oven ready CB would cost a small fortune, developing players like Simpson - whilst we have older more experienced players such as Goldson/Helander/Balogun at the club is the correct thing to do.

He's 25 next week and doesn't have a set position. That in itself is a concern. He'd probably be best suited to a 4--2-1-3 as the 1 highest in the midfield. Hagi would probably be better there though.

He’s looked unsure when compared to the other centre backs, but to say he’s rotten is nonsense. He needs more time to make a reasonable judgement on him. If he doesn’t improve, fine, but he needs to be given the chance to settle.
I think every player needs a settling in period and game time, however, with the players we have in the same position he would to step in and excel or target will be on his back.

I watched him against Tranmere struggle to play an easy right foot pass back to McGregor, preferring to keep it on his left side which put him under pressure and he does this regularly which is a weakness that good teams pick off easily.

I doubt he would become better than Goldson or Helander even with game time so the aim is to sign someone way better than them surely if we want to go to the next level.

Scrolled through pages there and can’t really see what has happened other than some people think Simpson is shite.

Has Edmundson and Katic left on loan?

It,s an opinion. If we were playing an important game tomorrow against tough opposition with everyone fit for a midfield slot, I very much doubt Aribo would be selected ahead of Kamara, Davis, Jack or Lundstram, possibly even Arfield.
Aribo is nowhere the managers near fourth of fifth choice, that’s crazy talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back