Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We get about €5m if we get past Malmo but don't reach the CL groups. See here:

cGJ7VGh.png

The extra €10m is dependent on how we do in the EL groups though. We'd need to at least get out of the groups to get €10m from that.
Well, a win against Malmö is vital then.
I hope we'll reach UCL groups and put on a good showing.

Ipswich Town are keen to snap up winger Jordan Jones from Rangers, it has been claimed.

The pacy Northern Irishman barely featured for Steven Gerrard's men last season - being farmed out to League One outfit Sunderland.

While the Black Cats are keen to take him for a second spell, Football League World claims that their League One rivals Ispwich Town are now interested.

A third League One outfit, Wigan Athletic, are thought to be keen - as are Championship Blackpool.

Ipswich Town are keen to snap up winger Jordan Jones from Rangers, it has been claimed.

The pacy Northern Irishman barely featured for Steven Gerrard's men last season - being farmed out to League One outfit Sunderland.

While the Black Cats are keen to take him for a second spell, Football League World claims that their League One rivals Ispwich Town are now interested.

A third League One outfit, Wigan Athletic, are thought to be keen - as are Championship Blackpool.
Ipswich becoming our feeder team big Ed Sheeran must be staunch:D

Sounds like a loan then. Ideally we'd get him away on a permanent deal.

If Jones were to go, do we have enough back up for Kent?

Thinking purely in terms of wide players with pace and creativity, it's an area we could be lacking in. Barker and Middleton are two that come to mind and they don't fill me with confidence. Hagi, Roofe and Aribo are different types of players so I wouldn't include them.

Come to think of it, with the exception of Kent our recruitment in that area hasn't been overly successful. That's not saying they've all been unsuccessful, but Jones and Barker haven't pushed on, nor has Middleton, Murphy was unlucky with his injury, Hastie hasn't cut it, etc. Probably the only position we can say that about.

I’ll drive him there in a tractor myself

Thinking purely in terms of wide players with pace and creativity, it's an area we could be lacking in. Barker and Middleton are two that come to mind and they don't fill me with confidence. Hagi, Roofe and Aribo are different types of players so I wouldn't include them.

Come to think of it, with the exception of Kent our recruitment in that area hasn't been overly successful. That's not saying they've all been unsuccessful, but Jones and Barker haven't pushed on, nor has Middleton, Murphy was unlucky with his injury, Hastie hasn't cut it, etc. Probably the only position we can say that about.
Sakala and Wright could play out on the left but I suspect if we got moves for our fringe wide players sorted we'd look to bring one in

wide forwards (tho its really 2 no 10s we play)

solely wide - Kent, Wright, Middleton, Barker, Hagi, Hastie
wide + middle - Sakala, Roofe

think we have enough cover

Scott Wright, Sakala and Roofe can all play on the left side. We have plenty of cover.

Are we into the Champions league directly if we get past Malmö? I had just taken for granted there was another qualifying round after that and never bothered to check.

No, but should we win vs Malmo we are guaranteed a Europa league group spot and a £5 million parachute payment should we lose the champions league play off round.

Our increase in turnover (note not profit) for EL participation in 2019 was £14.3m and for season 2020 it was £20.7m. Source: Annual Report 2020.

I think that gives a fair measure of what EL group stages is worth. Its CL we want though. :)
True, but I was talking about the prize money only in this case. Easy to compare apples v apples with that.

CL would be worth at least £20m+ on top of that 2020 figure if we made it. Probably actually higher.

wide forwards (tho its really 2 no 10s we play)

solely wide - Kent, Wright, Middleton, Barker, Hagi, Hastie
wide + middle - Sakala, Roofe

think we have enough cover
We can afford to sell or loan Middleton, Jones and Barker.

The system can be tweaked about if say Kent is injured. We have plenty of forward thinking players in Kent, Morelos, Sakala, Roofe, Itten, Wright, Hagi and Aribo. Add in Defoe for cover to.

True, but I was talking about the prize money only in this case. Easy to compare apples v apples with that.

CL would be worth at least £20m+ on top of that 2020 figure if we made it. Probably actually higher.
“New figures released today by UEFA confirm that the Glasgow club made £32.47 million from making it to last season’s Champions League group stages. A figure that makes up no less than 35 per cent of Celtic’s annual revenue and enables a number of the club’s vital budgets.” - Herald on them in 2018.

not sure if that includes gate receipts etc

“New figures released today by UEFA confirm that the Glasgow club made £32.47 million from making it to last season’s Champions League group stages. A figure that makes up no less than 35 per cent of Celtic’s annual revenue and enables a number of the club’s vital budgets.” - Herald on them in 2018.

That will just be TV money and cash from UEFA. Add in a few sell out crowds and you’re £35-40m territory.

The tramps got demolished in the Champions League as well that year so they wouldn’t have had many bonuses from UEFA.

I can see Veerman going to PSV now they have brought in big money for players.

Maybe getting past Malmö might free up more funds but it seems to have gone very quiet
PSV did just sign two first choice CMs so maybe not cut and dry, if Benfica are serious then he will go there.

Massive for us if we could make it this year.

The biggest single cash injection into the club in over a decade?

That is without even considering next year's CL entry.

Massive for us if we could make it this year.

The biggest single cash injection into the club in over a decade?

That is without even considering next year's CL entry.
If we managed to qualify this year and win the league we could set ourselves up for a prolonged period of domestic domination. The finances would allow us to repay the investments of the board as well as continue to evolve the squad.

Question - if we manage to keep hold of Kamara, Morelos, Goldson, Kent and Borna .. Would we be happy with current squad and nobody else coming in?
Under those circumstances I’d say maybe one more in and clear the decks with the ones who won’t play and if by happy.

Probably a midfielder. I’d like Ali McCann to come in and think there could be a deal there including Middleton.

Is McCann going to get in the team? Would he not just displace Kelly or Ofoborh as back-up? Genuinely don’t know if he’s good enough even for the squad.

If we are bringing in anyone at this stage - and I’m happy if we keep our big players - it must be as an improvement on the starters. That only happens with ECL qualification or a big sale, I’d think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back