Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's obvious in recent years we've spent about £10 million on the defence and about £15 million on the front players without doing something similar in midfield. I imagine it's where we'll see the next big money signings - conditional on players going out or European money coming in.

I’ve genuinely read people saying we can’t improve the first 11.

Some people get far too caught up in sentiment.
Of course we can improve the 11 but we can't go out and spend what we've not got even more so when we are still having directors covering the losses. People need to be realistic as to where the club is at the moment.

I reckon Veerman is very much on our radar. I think he's a signing needed and welcomed if we can make it to CL. I don't think he'd be needed nor will we splash the money on him if we make EL. Unless a player moves on.

Young Colombian for the B team fantastic and something I'd love us to do more of we really need an approach akin of Benfica, Salzburg and so on.
Veerman improves the team not the squad which is why everyone is so keen to get him here.

Several times I've said in here that we need to strengthen the midfield and many times I've been told that we have enough in there and don't need to add. We're fine apparently.

Tonight showed that with a couple of injuries and suspensions, our midfield weaknesses are exposed.

I'd expect a quality, dynamic midfielder to be brought in sooner rather than later.

Several times I've said in here that we need to strengthen the midfield and many times I've been told that we have enough in there and don't need to add. We're fine apparently.

Tonight showed that with a couple of injuries and suspensions, our midfield weaknesses are exposed.

I'd expect a quality, dynamic midfielder to be brought in sooner rather than later.
I agree we need a midfielder but it wasn’t a few, we were missing 5 players tonight that is unprecedented, some of the overreactions on here tonight are embarrassing.

I agree we need a midfielder but it wasn’t a few, we were missing 5 players tonight that is unprecedented, some of the overreactions on here tonight are embarrassing.
Purely on midfielders alone, there is a chance Kamara could leave - and I'm not sure how much we can rely on Jack.

Aribo is not best used as an out and out midfielder.

I just feel a midfield from Jack, Kamara, Davis, Lundstram needs adding to - especially if Kamara leaves and we don't know how much we can rely on Jack.

Arfield is not the answer in their either.

It's an area that needs attention in this window.

Purely on midfielders alone, there is a chance Kamara could leave - and I'm not sure how much we can rely on Jack.

Aribo is not best used as an out and out midfielder.

I just feel a midfield from Jack, Kamara, Davis, Lundstram needs adding to - especially if Kamara leaves and we don't know how much we can rely on Jack.

Arfield is not the answer in their either.

It's an area that needs attention in this window.
Tend to agree, although I would imagine Gerrard felt Lundstram would have strengthened us considerably in there - time will tell on that one.

If we can’t spend I am convinced Patterson could do well for us on the right side of midfield.

Tend to agree, although I would imagine Gerrard felt Lundstram would have strengthened us considerably in there - time will tell on that one.

If we can’t spend I am convinced Patterson could do well for us on the right side of midfield.

Patterson can't play right midfield mate, nor will he.

There's a massive difference between coming from deep and facing the play, as opposed to taking the ball on the turn, or half turn.

Gerrard has already said Tav isn't very good at it and Nathan would be worse.

Gemmil tried playing him there last season for the Scotland under 21s and he was hooked at half time.
He just wasn't comfortable playing in the position.

Felt bad for Arfield tonight. He’s done at that level.

He looked like a player that’s not had a proper pre-season. He was miles off it last night as was Lundstram. Leggy, slow and constantly careless and wasteful.

The midfield was a one man band, a 36 year old covering almost three positions who also rescued us right at the end.

Let’s hope Davis stays fit all season because other than Kamara, the midfield lacks genuine quality, a player that can hit the levels of a Davis or Kamara.

And that’s what we’ve needed. I think we also need another attack minded player - Kent level and there is room for said player.

It’s absolutely continuing to improve.

Veerman improves the team not the squad which is why everyone is so keen to get him here.
Early days and all that but the 2 that have been brought in aren't 1st picks when everyone is fit imo. So we've not actually improved the starting 11 imo as going on what we've watched they aren’t better than what was already here.
Finances probably dictate this and I'm probably being greedy but that's what I was hoping this summer. Upgrades to the best starting 11.

We don't play with anyone on the right side of midfield.

Quiet a few of the team are not yet up to speed and it showed also Malmo are well into their season and it showed. I expect we will spend money on the midfield but our targets will depend on how we do on the qualifications. We will have an A list if we get champions league section and a B list if we are in Europa league section . C list if we don't make either.

He's not done mate.

He just isn't fully match, or physically fit yet.

Just like Lundstram and in particular Borna last night.

Don't fall into the trap of judging players after their first competitive minutes of the season.
His lack of mobility was on show last night and he was effectively second to everything.

It was a brutal performance likewise from Lundstram who didn't appear to enjoy is more defensive position, Borna was dreadful and looked miles off the pace.

His lack of mobility was on show last night and he was effectively second to everything.

It was a brutal performance likewise from Lundstram who didn't appear to enjoy is more defensive position, Borna was dreadful and looked miles off the pace.

As I've already said, lack of match fitness and sharpness was evident in a good few players last night.

Arfield has stood out against far better midfields than Malmo.
Galatasary last season, for example.

We know from previous experiences with Arfield that he does take a wee while to get up to speed after a lay off, but anyone writing him off, is way off the mark.
He's only 32, which means he's still in excellent physical shape, when fully tuned.

He's definitely behind our main 3 midfielders, in Kamara, Davis and Jack, but he'll still play a big part this season and chip in with some big goals.

People writing off players because we lost our first qualifier in 3 years
We had some players absolutely toiling last night doesn't help we had quite a few players out but looking at it we went into that badly game prepared for it.

I think we will see a completely different approach next week and a much better performance.

Think also last night once again highlighted the need to serious strengthen 1 or 2 areas with quality.

Our first eleven hasn't been strengthened as yet.

And Lundstrum even worse.
Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He will bed in. Quality wise however, let’s hope we never have to see that midfield 3 again. Davis was doing the work of three. If Hagi had been able then he would have been on the park.

Aribo should be back next week.

We are still crying out for that wee bit extra in midfield and it showed in that game last night. It was a UCL qualifier, and the midfield in the main was lacking.

They’ll get the right player in soon

I think that’s beyond harsh,
Harsh maybe, but this should be his last year at Ibrox.

We need to up the gears in midfield. Davis and Kamara are the cogs that keep it ticking over. SD is 36 and won’t maintain his form forever. Glen will eventually go.

After that ? Arfield and Jack injury prone at best of times so we can’t count in them for a sustained run of games.

Aribo gets shifted about various positions as does Hagi and Aribo should slot back in next midweek.

Stephen Kelly? He needs a chance. No point holding him off any longer.

Our team is the best in the league when we have everyone fit and firing. We need to be able to maintain that when we have injuries and suspensions. Ross Wilson will work to ensure that.

I always think that's a backwards attitude we can always improve and get better players

But we're not going to go out and bring in 3/4 first team starters in one window like some want. At some point there's a ceilling of what you can do financially while getting the rewards on the pitch if that makes sense

The issue we have is our squad is quite big atm and we don't have enough high quality home grown players to actually have a strong depth to our squad. Sure we could sign another high quality foreign midfielder but which of our 'foreign' players would we leave out of the European squad?

That's sort of the stage we are at right now.

The next step to improve the team to "CL level" will cost millions of pounds.

You can only cheat a system so far with excellent coaching, scouting and signings, you do reach a stage where you just have to invest a %^*& load of money to live at and compete at CL level.

We aren't always going to be able to break the system with additions like Kamara and Morelos for instance, to kick the team on now and "improve" on for instance Tav would mean going out and chucking close of 10 million (at least) on a RB, to genuinely "improve" our midfield would require a player in the 5 million + bracket, and even then we could spend 15 million and still simply be drawn against sides, far, far better than us who had spent 40 and 50 million pounds on players (at least) when it comes to the CL

There has to be some grasp of reality to go with ambition.

The issue we have is our squad is quite big atm and we don't have enough high quality home grown players to actually have a strong depth to our squad. Sure we could sign another high quality foreign midfielder but which of our 'foreign' players would we leave out of the European squad?

That's sort of the stage we are at right now.
The thought of having to sign an SPFL based player just to meet a quota is a no no. There’s maybe one or two at a push who could help out in terms of just being a squad player

Early days and all that but the 2 that have been brought in aren't 1st picks when everyone is fit imo. So we've not actually improved the starting 11 imo as going on what we've watched they aren’t better than what was already here.
Finances probably dictate this and I'm probably being greedy but that's what I was hoping this summer. Upgrades to the best starting 11.
I'm confident both will prove their worth for us in the months ahead. I'd love to see Veerman and the like tip up at Ibrox as would the manager but for the time being I think yes, our financial position right now won't allow that outlay. Qualification for the CL on other hand changes the situation massively and gives us access to real quality.

The thought of having to sign an SPFL based player just to meet a quota is a no no. There’s maybe one or two at a push who could help out in terms of just being a squad player

It doesn't fill me with great confidence either but we had to leave certain players out of our European squad because they don't fit the home grown criteria. So any foreign signing we make between now and the window closing, means we'll have to push another foreign player out of the European squad.

I'm confident both will prove their worth for us in the months ahead. I'd love to see Veerman and the like tip up at Ibrox as would the manager but for the the being I think yes, our financial position right now won't allow that outlay. Qualification for the CL on other hand changes the situation massively and gives us access to real quality.
But we’d then have folk saying X player should be playing based on what they done in the past etc.

If we do make the UCL then it’s only natural that the quality of the starting 11 improves.

Based on what? Just because he has a fancy name? He’s played 50 or so games in the Dutch top flight, he’s never represented Holland at any level, he may well be a big talent but you write off quality experienced players against a player who you will know little about unless you study Dutch football closely.

But we’d then have folk saying X player should be playing based on what they done in the past etc.

If we do make the UCL then it’s only natural that the quality of the starting 11 improves.
Don't matter what folk sat mate it's Gerrard who makes the call. Unless I misread his pre season comments he's expecting serious backing to get more quality in.

We need to up the gears in midfield. Davis and Kamara are the cogs that keep it ticking over. SD is 36 and won’t maintain his form forever. Glen will eventually go.

After that ? Arfield and Jack injury prone at best of times so we can’t count in them for a sustained run of games.

Aribo gets shifted about various positions as does Hagi and Aribo should slot back in next midweek.

Our team is the best in the league when we have everyone fit and firing. We need to be able to maintain that when we have injuries and suspensions. Ross Wilson will work to ensure that.
You've been writing off Jack and Arfield for nearly 2 years now and almost 4 straight transfer threads now where you've wanted them both punted. The fact you've jumped on Arfield despite playing catch up in pre-season shows you have issues with him as well its pathetic.

Watch the first half again and tell me how you thought Arfield played.

He wasn't outstanding, but he played well enough and was linking play between the midfield and forwards.
He certainly wasn't a weak link in the first half.

He definitely tired in the second half, which was no real suprise, after a disrupted pre season and this being his first competitive minutes of the season.
Unfortunately, the options from the bench to replace him were almost non existent.

I'm suprised at you singling him out, after Borna and Lundstram toiled for the whole game, which again is down to their fitness and sharpness levels.

Arfield doesn't make our strongest midfield for me, but he'll still play a big part this season and the scum would give their eye teeth for a midfielder like him.

As for Jack, he's just went through a fairly major operation to correct a problem that hasn't been resolved with rest.
He took the decision to put the club ahead of a major international tournament, so he could get his injury healed and be good to go early this season.

He's a first pick for Gerrard when he's fit.

Felt bad for Arfield tonight. He’s done at that level.
Agreed.

I think the problem we have is a pretty obvious one. Budget.

Realistically we need to get to the CL this year with a squad that being 100% honest with ourselves, isn't really a CL squad. This provides us with the funds to make the required upgrades.

We need a CH with genuine pace.

We probably need two midfielders. A proper spoiler is required if we want to keep our current system and someone who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drive the ball and team forward.

A forward who provides Alfie with real competition for his No. 1 status.

We need a Kent on the RHS as well.

I don't even want to put a number on what that would cost to buy, never mind wages.

It isn't impossible but it will take a couple of windows and a couple of seasons of CL cash and we as fans need to temper our expectations, especially in Europe and especially in the CL if we make it this season.

Malmo, for all we were bullish about out chances, are a team who have operated in and around the CL for what? 4 or 5 seasons now? Not to be sniffed at and regardless of budgets or history or 'name' they are further forward in a culture shift that is required to operate at this level than we are at this moment in time.

We CAN do it but we are going to need to be patient while the club adjust to this step up, this culture change.

Have said in this thread already this summer that we needed more quality in the door to have a good crack at the CL. Last night is what happens when you fail to prepare properly in the transfer window for the CL. It happened to the Tims for years and we’ve laughed at them and it’s happened to us last night. Need to hope this group can scrape through next week and then hopefully the manager gets some cash to spend to improve his squad for the next round.

You've been writing off Jack and Arfield for nearly 2 years now and almost 4 straight transfer threads now where you've wanted them both punted. The fact you've jumped on Arfield despite playing catch up in pre-season shows you have issues with him as well its pathetic.
Couldn’t care less pal. I say it as I see it. Long term they aren’t good enough for where we want to be.

Watch the first half again and tell me how you thought Arfield played.

He wasn't outstanding, but he played well enough and was linking play between the midfield and forwards.
He certainly wasn't a weak link in the first half.

He definitely tired in the second half, which was no real suprise, after a disrupted pre season and this being his first competitive minutes of the season.
Unfortunately, the options from the bench to replace him were almost non existent.

I'm suprised at you singling him out, after Borna and Lundstram toiled for the whole game, which again is down to their fitness and sharpness levels.

Arfield doesn't make our strongest midfield for me, but he'll still play a big part this season and the scum would give their eye teeth for a midfielder like him.

As for Jack, he's just went through a fairly major operation to correct a problem that hasn't been resolved with rest.
He took the decision to put the club ahead of a major international tournament, so he could get his injury healed and be good to go early this season.

He's a first pick for Gerrard when he's fit.
Honestly doubt that last part now unless there was folk being sold. Jack’s injuries and the form of others make him a squad player currently. He won’t waltz in like he did before.

It’ll be a while before he’s up to speed anyway so can’t see him back anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back