Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In retrospect, did Rangers make the wrong call when taking a pass on Lyndon Dykes who Livingston later sold to QPR for £2 million, whilst opting instead for Cedric Itten, for whom we paid Basel £2.7 million?
Not at all, Dykes is woeful. Itten, who was signed from St Gallen not Basel btw, is far more technically gifted and a better finisher. He had a tough time getting in the team with Roofe's form before christmas and Morelos form afterwards. He admitted himself he struggled settling in this season, and even then he still looked a better player than Dykes ever did.

Fleck is (like Jack) 29, so has a few good years ahead of him. Aside from Davis (36), we have Arfield (32), Jack (29), Kamara (25), Aribo (24, who has played a large chunk of his career as CM), and the "future forgotten" man Ofoborh (21). Much depends on how SG wants to set us up next season and whether he rotates the squad and tactics. I reckon quite few of those we want to sign for that position will want games ... and getting past Davis, Kamara and Jack will be a challenge.
Anytime I saw Fleck - who was playing for arguably the worst team in the EPL, I saw a decent, capable midfielder. Where he to sign for Rangers, I've no doubt he'd prove to be a decent and capable addition to the squad.

But at this juncture, shouldn't we be looking to upgrade our midfield and Fleck - who probably has peaked as a player - leads me to ask - is he really an option worth considering?

Is this a fishing expedition? If so, I’m in. Dykes is not good enough for us, regardless of what we paid for Itten.
So the 2.7 million we paid for Itten - who has hardly featured in the starting XI - is of no concern to you? Try sobering up before posting.

if you think Dykes is better than Itten you are the one that should be putting the bevvy down
The jist of my post re. Itten is simply this - was he worth. 2.3 million. On the basis of his limited game time, and from what I've seen, I'd say the jury is still very much out.

Nor did I advocate that Rangers sign Dykes, I used his transfer to QPR for comparative purposes only.

However, it's worth noting that it was celtic's Kristoff Ajer, (I believe) who when asked who, in his opinion, was the most difficult SPL opponent to mark - he replied Lyndon Dykes. Make of it what you will.

The jist of my post re. Itten is simply this - was he worth. 2.3 million. On the basis of his limited game time, and from what I've seen, I'd say the jury is still very much out.

Nor did I advocate that Rangers sign Dykes, I used his transfer to QPR for comparative purposes only.

However, it's worth noting that it was celtic's Kristoff Ajer, (I believe) who when asked who, in his opinion, was the most difficult SPL opponent to mark - he replied Lyndon Dykes. Make of it what you will.
He had maybe one poor performance, led the line really well v Poznan and contributed with big goals in the Motherwell games. I’m not actually sure what people expect from him coming mostly off the bench or playing right of the three on occasion

In retrospect, did Rangers make the wrong call when taking a pass on Lyndon Dykes who Livingston later sold to QPR for £2 million, whilst opting instead for Cedric Itten, for whom we paid Basel £2.7 million?
I don't think Rangers made the wrong decision because they didn't sign Dykes...I think they made the wrong decision because Itten doesn't appear to be a fast dealer.
He appears to need more time on the ball than he is going to get in Scotland.
He scored plenty of goals in Swiss...but he probably got more time on the ball.
He needs to work that 'low post' move like Fredo and kick that ass out there to box out defenders till he can find his shot.
Somethin...

I don't think Rangers made the wrong decision because they didn't sign Dykes...I think they made the wrong decision because Itten doesn't appear to be a fast dealer.
He needs to work that 'low post' move like Fredo and kick that ass out there to box out defenders till he can find his shot.
Somethin...

whit?

So the 2.7 million we paid for Itten - who has hardly featured in the starting XI - is of no concern to you? Try sobering up before posting.
Do you think Dykes would have gotten in the team ahead of Alfie or Roofe?

Can you imagine Ajer saying that Kent was his most difficult opponent?
They’re not allowed to even say old firm. That prick Broon couldn’t even bring himself to say Alfie had scored

Eh?

You asked if we should have signed Dykes instead for £2m as that is what he would have cost.

Notice that Lundstram still without a club after leaving Shef United .

Id take him in a heartbeat .
Absolutely and Im sure a number of clubs would, bit odd hes not yet announced something.
Anyone who thinks Dykes is Rangers class needs an appointment with a mental health professional!
He probably would score goals in Scotland but we have loftier ambitions than that.
To an English club, even a mid Championship one like QPR, £2M is nothing short of a punt. Rangers obvs need to be much more careful and considered.

As for Itten hes a far more rounded and contributive forward than someone like Dykes. I think it would be interesting to see him play more central but clearly hes not going to dislodge Morelos. That said when he has played hes given Rangers a lot so its worth remembering its not always goals that make the man.

Do you think Dykes would have gotten in the team ahead of Alfie or Roofe?
Can you imagine Ajer saying that Kent was his most difficult opponent?
They’re not allowed to even say old firm. That prick Broon couldn’t even bring himself to say Alfie had scored
I think when describing his 'most difficult opponent' that Ajer - as a centre-half - had in mind a striker rather that a nominal winger such as Kent - who obviously is a far far better player than Dykes will ever be.

I think when describing his 'most difficult opponent' that Ajer - as a centre-half - had in mind a striker rather that a nominal winger such as Kent - who obviously is a far far better player than Dykes will ever be.

Morelos roasts Ajer everytime he plays him.

Dykes lol

You really think he is going to say Alfie? There captain couldn’t even bring himself to say his name when he scored at the back post!

Talk of loan to buy with the young lad out playing in Turkey are fine, my only caveat would be we need to have the purchase price agreed before we enter into such an agreement.

Cant have him playing a stormer and bumping his own price up.

Lyndon Dykes is no where near good enough.
Please note that in my original post I didn't advocate that Rangers sign Dykes. I merely made the suggestion that since Dykes was sold for less money than we payed for Itten - who presently is nowhere near commanding a regular first team place - that the 2.3 million Rangers spent in acquiring him might not have been the best use of our transfer funds. I'm aware that some may disagree, but as a proposition it is hardly without merit.

Last edited:

Itten signed a 4 year deal. In a years time your comment, in retrospect, could leave you looking like a total tit. It's a tad early to be having these sorts of discussions imo.

Lyndon Dykes scored 12 goals in 42 games for QPR last season. If we were linked to a striker who scored similar numbers in the Chamionship, would you be content? Would anyone posting on this forum be?

It's a bit of a strange argument. A lot of it based on the assumption that Dykes' game at Livi, would automatically translate well at Rangers. Bit of an unknown really. Docherty and Jones both looked excellent in the SPFL in recent seasons and yet they struggled at Rangers. He may have come here and dislodged Roofe and Alfie for all we know, but looking at the available evidence, that seems fanciful. Clearly though the scouting department thought it was worth spending the extra 700k and signing Itten over signing Dykes.

Itten was a project signing and his first year was about integrating him into the squad and getting him used to the league etc. The boy has played and scored for an international side who would utterly pump Scotland. I have no concerns about his signing or the fee we paid for him.

Itten was a project signing and his first year was about integrating him into the squad and getting him used to the league etc. The boy has played and scored for an international side who would utterly pump Scotland. I have no concerns about his signing or the fee we paid for him.

Worth mentioning, he moved to a new country in the midst of a pandemic. To a country with the most bipolar lockdown rules imaginable. It's likely been pretty tough for the guy to settle.

He's also got the toughest pathway to the first team. If Roofe and Morelos are fit and available then either one of them will lead the line. We gave him a 4 year deal, we clearly see something we can work with.

That Itten was viewed by Rangers as a 'project signing' - as you put it - is not unreasonable. Viewed this way, his signing is therefore something of a gamble. The only aspect of which I would question, is that given Rangers still modest transfer budget, should we be spending 2,3 million on 'a project'?

Do we know that for sure?; if the term "project signing" has ever been applicable, would that not apply more to Kent, or Wright, or even Kamara, as in players who actually play, and improve at the same time? I'm not entirely convinced that Gerrard will keep Itten, there was a notable absence of playing time when he seemed an obvious option.

Dykes is absolute sh%te. Itten is taking a wee bit longer to settle bit then look at someone like Borna. Itten will come good and prove to be a strong valuable member of the squad.

Dykes is absolute sh%te. Itten is taking a wee bit longer to settle bit then look at someone like Borna. Itten will come good and prove to be a strong valuable member of the squad.
It's a good point, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Itten moved on.

That Itten was viewed by Rangers as a 'project signing' - as you put it - is not unreasonable. Viewed this way, his signing is therefore something of a gamble. The only aspect of which I would question, is that given Rangers still modest transfer budget, should we be spending 2,3 million on 'a project'?

Every transfer is a risk. Should we just not spend money in a vain attempt to remain risk-averse?

At the time Itten was signed, Alfie seemed to be heading to the exit door. It appears we hedged our bets and signed 2 forwards to negate that potential loss. One was the finished article and another that required a bit more polish and refinement. Alfie stayed though. So that meant one of the signed strikers was always going to be extremely limited when it came to gaining substantial game time.

Key to remember that Itten and Roofe had no proper pre seasons as their seasons finished just before ours started. I can see them being totally different players next year, which is a mouthwatering prospect, given the season Roofe had without that at his back.

While I agree Dykes is s5ite I can't for the life of me figure out how Itten will force his way into the starting 11, unfortunately I don't think he's the type of player who wants to be bit part or squad player, hes lost his place in the International side and won't get that back until playing regular football week in week out.. Nothing against Itten however I personally don't think he's good enough either, project or not.

I will possibly be proved horribly wrong, it would not be the first time, but I am certain Itten is going to have a very successful career. And I really hope he can do it with us.

It is not just the height that makes me compare him to a young Hateley. If you can dig up any Hateley footage from his time at Portsmouth or Milan, he had the same sort of movement and speed as Itten. When he added some bulk he became a monster of a player.

Anyway, I would be comfortable with Itten, Sakala and Roofe up top if we sell Alfredo. If we keep them all, I would be even happier.

I'm still just hoping for a Kent clone wide right and the new Davis/Arfield/Kamara/Jack long-term replacement coming in to boost the midfield.

Notice that Lundstram still without a club after leaving Shef United .

Id take him in a heartbeat .
I'd be pretty underwhelmed if he was one of our main midfield targets.

12-18 months ago fair enough but not now it's clear we need 1-2 serious upgrades in there especially if we want to have a chance at CL qualification.

Any player coming in this summer has to enhance the first 11/squad no more steady/safe options/project signings.

Last edited:
Please note that in my original post I didn't advocate that Rangers sign Dykes. I merely made the suggestion that since Dykes was sold for less money than we payed for Itten - who presently is nowhere near commanding a regular first team place - that the 2.3 million Rangers spent in acquiring him might not have been the best use of our transfer funds. I'm aware that some may disagree, but as a proposition it is hardly without merit.
"Did Rangers make the wrong call in taking a pass on Lyndon Dykes"

Itten signed a 4 year deal. In a years time your comment, in retrospect, could leave you looking like a total tit. It's a tad early to be having these sorts of discussions imo.

Lyndon Dykes scored 12 goals in 42 games for QPR last season. If we were linked to a striker who scored similar numbers in the Chamionship, would you be content? Would anyone posting on this forum be?

It's a bit of a strange argument. A lot of it based on the assumption that Dykes' game at Livi, would automatically translate well at Rangers. Bit of an unknown really. Docherty and Jones both looked excellent in the SPFL in recent seasons and yet they struggled at Rangers. He may have come here and dislodged Roofe and Alfie for all we know, but looking at the available evidence, that seems fanciful. Clearly though the scouting department thought it was worth spending the extra 700k and signing Itten over signing Dykes.

Realistically Dykes will never be sold for any more than the £2m he was bought for.

Itten has a much higher ceiling. The lad had a rough year personally clearly in a new country under strict lock down restrictions for the majority of the time. Barisic took a year to settle, and got way more game time and looked considerably more shake in that time.

Itten has scored big goals. He's shown quality. His main issue: lack of game time! And with Morelos (who undoubtedly has the squads most lucrative contract at present) and Roofe (a more experienced player who had even more money invested in him) to be dislodged, their was no shame in not getting much game time this year.

As fans though, there was no-where near as much nervousness this year as last. The idea of a morelos injury in the past was frightening - leaving us with sadiq, lafferty or Defoe (great player but we can agree never quite fits the ideal system we play) as cover. I for one was far more confident knowing there was a Roofe and an Itten on the bench to step in if needed. It's probably also kept Morelos more on his toes knowing there is a Swiss international chomping at his heels.

I'm confused about any mention of Dykes if you are simply asking whether Itten is good enough for the money spent, or even worth the gamble that he will develop for that price...

As others have said, this season will be the answer to that. If you think of how many players have improved with us over a few seasons- already named Barisic but also even Kent, Goldson, Kamara, Morelos (there's plenty more) - then there's hope. The arguement could be they showed more in their first season but ultimately we will see.

Ye
Somethin...
Yeah mate yeah kick that ass

Somethin...

Did you post that using google translate?

Players from abroad inevitably take time to settle into a Rangers jersey. The best example of recent times is Borna Barisic, written off by almost all on here; with calls to cut our losses, after his first season and is now a main-stay.

Itten was always going to have a difficult job ousting Morelos, and with Roofe coming in to play on the right his game time was always going to be limited last season. Lets judge the lad this season now he's had a full season under Gerrard and time to settle in before we start writing him off as seems to be so common on here, he is still a pretty young lad who prior to coming was in and around the Swiss national team and scored a good number of goals in his home country.

And Jermain Defoe said Itten was one of the nicest, hardest working, talented players he's trained alongside. I'll take his recommendations over a poor centre half's like Ajer.

Dykes being difficult to mark is a reflection of him being a thug. His style is based on physicality. It has little reflection on his actual ability as a striker.

No- Dykes is pony and he showed exactly what he lacks during Monday’s game. Gerrard an co clearly look at Itten as a player they can work with and improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back