Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In retrospect, did Rangers make the wrong call when taking a pass on Lyndon Dykes who Livingston later sold to QPR for £2 million, whilst opting instead for Cedric Itten, for whom we paid Basel £2.7 million?
We won the league so it doesn't really matter now. I wanted us to sign Dykes as he would give us a different option up top in struggling games but Itten showed he can be useful in those situations with his goals against Motherwell when we needed them.

Don't think Itten has a long term future at Rangers tbh but I think we could get better than Dykes now we have the prospect of the Champions League.

In retrospect, did Rangers make the wrong call when taking a pass on Lyndon Dykes who Livingston later sold to QPR for £2 million, whilst opting instead for Cedric Itten, for whom we paid Basel £2.7 million?
Oh man you did watch Dykes the other day yeah? He's absolutely mince and doesn't fit into how we play at all no we didn't make the wrong decision at all. Itten was a project signing and contributed with some big goals for us as well as coming on and having an impact in games. Itten has had issues with settling due to the pandemic which is understandable for a young foreign player away from home for the first time in his career but he will kick on next season.

I see what you're saying mate. Similar to there having been a report linking is with Ange Postecoglou in retrospect do you think we should have went for him instead of Gerrard?

Bloody hell. No. Itten did almost everything that was asked of him this season even though he was mostly out of position (right false 10) or on as a cameo (last 15 minutes to see out a game). He still came up with a few important goals and contributed to the 55th.

I didn't want Kamberi - but I'd prefer him to donkey Dykes

I understand Cedric Itten hasn't satisfied our ambitions (yet) - but he's well better than either of the above & put together IMO

I don't find it too difficult to be patient with Itten - but my patience would be non-existent with Lyndon Dykes

The jist of my post re. Itten is simply this - was he worth. 2.3 million. On the basis of his limited game time, and from what I've seen, I'd say the jury is still very much out.

Nor did I advocate that Rangers sign Dykes, I used his transfer to QPR for comparative purposes only.

However, it's worth noting that it was celtic's Kristoff Ajer, (I believe) who when asked who, in his opinion, was the most difficult SPL opponent to mark - he replied Lyndon Dykes. Make of it what you will.
With all the respect in the world I wouldn’t take Ajer’s opinion on anything serious. He’s a total waster…doing dummy passes whilst we were walking over them @ Ibrox & when the going got tough he shat the bed against us.

To bottom line it, QPR only just signed him so wont sell him for buttons.

Ergo Rangers would need to pay close to or better that fee.

Does anyone really think we should do that?

Of course not.

Itten hasnt been that bad imo and think he will come good now hes had time to settle. Theres a player in there, im sure of it.
Even the games he has got a decent amount of minutes in, it's normally games we have heavily rotated and we didn't play at our best. Don't think he got many chances to fully show what he can do with the rest of the team flying. There is 100% a player in there though.

Itten hasnt been that bad imo and think he will come good now hes had time to settle. Theres a player in there, im sure of it.
Could he have played more, but didn't? I'm curious about his lack game time, and what it may indicate about the manager's thoughts.

Could he have played more, but didn't? I'm curious about his lack game time, and what it may indicate about the manager's thoughts.
I'm sure he made like 36 appearances between subs and starts, which is not exactly terrible for 3rd maybe even 4th choice at times. He recently said in the media he has struggled settling because of the pandemic and stuff but feels he will be ready next season, Gerrard is pretty understanding of stuff like that and has said similar things a few times himself.

I'm sure he made like 36 appearances between subs and starts, which is not exactly terrible for 3rd maybe even 4th choice at times. He recently said in the media he has struggled settling because of the pandemic and stuff but feels he will be ready next season, Gerrard is pretty understanding of stuff like that and has said similar things a few times himself.
I don't wasn't aware of that interview, or his comments, thanks. Hopefully we see a lot more of him, because he has something about him.

L
Jones Barker Edmundson Katic Barjonas Stewart Zungu and probably a big money sale will leave or has left already we are not signing 8 and players this season so as I said more outs than ins
Can't see Katic leaving. I hope not as I feel he has much to offer,the rest I wouldn't miss.

Rangers transfer thread. Dykes? Shankland? Have I wandered into a horror story?:rolleyes::eek:
It's like we've wandered back in time to 2017 and instead of Louis Moult's 'movement and ability' to put one goal past Hamilton and Partick being touted as the greatest things Scotland has ever seen, it's Dykes and Shankland.

That's not to say there is 'no value' in the Scottish leagues. There definitely is value, It just isn't there in guys like Dykes and Shankland. There are a million cloggers like them in the 3rd, 4th and 5th tier English leagues you can pick up on a free.

No idea why there is such a clamour to sign guys like them for millions of pounds when you can get a player light-years ahead of them in terms of technique and ability for that sort of price. Like Cedric Itten, for example.

Itten was signed when it looked like Morelos was leaving, due to the quality of attacking player we have he has not been able to force his way into the team.

He seems like a decent player from what I’ve seen but It is a big season for him, if anything competition for places will be even fiercer and he needs to make an impact.

Dykes is nowhere near the quality needed

Itten was signed when it looked like Morelos was leaving, due to the quality of attacking player we have he has not been able to force his way into the team.

He seems like a decent player from what I’ve seen but It is a big season for him, if anything competition for places will be even fiercer and he needs to make an impact.

Dykes is nowhere near the quality needed
I’d agree with this, no one we can buy is shifting Morelos from no.1 striker so until he is sold then Itten will have to play a bit part or off the front in the wider role. If Morelos is sold at any point he may get a run and then we will see for real. I think it’s great that we have time to bed in guys like Hagi and Itten before we need to rely on them every game. As you say, big season for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back