The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt many would have said Itten would be a good signing.
I doubt many had seen him play.
However, he had broken into the Swiss national side and on the strength of that, then it looked a good signing.

Personally, I don't know much about Stewart as I don't watch Sunderland.
Nothing against Sunderland, but after Rangers, Rangers youth sides, Rangers women, EPL, German, Portuguese, international and Italian football on TV, there just isn't enough time to watch Sunderland.
Well done to anyone who does.

I want Rangers to find players that are potentially about to burst on the scene but as yet are just a rhetorical inch below the radar of other clubs who will pay more money.
Players like say a Morelos, or an Aribo or a Kamara.
Is that asking too much?
I agree about signing players just about to burst on to the scene but if we signed Stewart from County people would have been turning their nose up due to the club he played for.

Big Cédric Kipré from West Brom ,1 million rumoured , I’d have signed him fi Motherwell

I tend to be a "wait and see how it goes" type guy when it comes to judging signings, but I'd be slightly disappointed by this one.

He impressed at Wigan after leaving Motherwell, even getting a little international recognition with Ivory Coast, but his time at West Brom hasn't went well since they signed him. I'm not sure he's on the trajectory we'd want for someone who hasn't proven a lot beforehand.

I agree about signing players just about to burst on to the scene but if we signed Stewart from County people would have been turning their nose up due to the club he played for.
Good point.
However, were people really turning their nose up at Kamara coming from Dundee?
I seem to recall most were optimistic and saw the fee as the bargain of the century.
But you are right, if the lad had the potential to play for Rangers why didn't we see it when it was under our nose?

As a Sunderland fan, he absolutely can.

I fully appreciate people’s apprehension given he’s been in League One and has only one outstanding season under his belt so far, but he truly is excellent. He isn’t just an excellent finisher, he does everything else you want from a striker as well. Class at stretching defences with his runs, great holding the ball up with his back to goal, drives the press, strong in the air.

I don’t want him to leave Sunderland but if he goes to Rangers I have absolutely no doubts he’ll absolutely excel.
You'll have seen him more than most of us obviously, but I didn't think he was technically at the level to be a starter for us.

Good point.
However, were people really turning their nose up at Kamara coming from Dundee?
I seem to recall most were optimistic and saw the fee as the bargain of the century.
But you are right, if the lad had the potential to play for Rangers why didn't we see it when it was under our nose?

I remember thinking Stewart would do well when he moved on from Ross County, but never thought at that time he'd be good enough for us.

He's kicked on a good amount at Sunderland. Not sure he could have done that with us had he not been playing every week.

Ye the Swiss international who has no attributes that suit being a striker in Scottish football. He’s slow, he’s weak, poor vision, poor finishing.
Most people had never watched Itten though, and couldn’t make any sort of educated judgement. They just had to go off of pedigree, lots of goals in the Swiss league and a Swiss international, on paper it looked a good signing, that isn’t an excuse for Gerrard, Wilson and the scouts who identified him, they should’ve seen he had a skill set not suited to Scottish football, as they’d have watched hours of footage.

TBF, there is talent to be had in that league (Aribo for us, O'Riley for them) but goalscorers always have a premium on top of their price as well.

IF(big if) we splash £4/5/6m on Stewart I'd expect him to be our number one striker for that sort of price.

Like last summer, makes no sense spending that money a striker (Nisbet anyone?) when they're not going to dislodge Buff from the team.
Got to think you can get more value for money in Europe at that price. I wouldn’t pay it purely on principle that we could have got him for free from Ross County.

The time for signing Stewart was when he left County. Cost too much now.

I find it a little worrying that we weren’t able to spot the potential and less than 18 months later would be prepared to pay 5m.

And this on the basis of only been one full season in League One.

I find it a little worrying that we weren’t able to spot the potential and less than 18 months later would be prepared to pay 5m.

And this on the basis of only been one full season in League One.

Maybe the previous manager didn't fancy him. We saw how Itten didn't come close to fitting into his system

Gio did use a target man as his main striker at Feyenoord.

There’s a chance we did spot Stewart’s potential, but at the date when he transferred (Jan 21) we simply didn’t have space for a striker in the squad.

We had signed Roofe and Itten only four months prior.

Chances are,that Sunderland will want to keep Stewart. A new improved contract will be offered, probably paying more than we can afford.

The Ross Stewart one is a funny one.

So people now think he’s good enough, as he’s had another 18 months to develop with better players?

Ferguson is far better than Stewart at this juncture in his position.

Guessing Ferguson will move on, develop and we’ll decide we want him back as he’s Scottish, gets some goals, has a dig about him and time to develop?

They’re different, but I think Ferguson is on par with Jack in terms of development at his age.

For the right price, I’d take him as squad player.

What about Regan Charles Cook? is he about to move on from Ross County and make a name for himself which sends him into the 5M category?

Possibly. It's hard to say. As I said above about Stewart, these guys tend to need to be playing pretty much every week to hit these levels.

With us, they don't get that and it can lead to a bit of difficulty in them developing further. See Scott Wright at the moment for a good example of that, clearly got plenty about him but not quite kicked on because he's in and out of the team (that's no criticism of anyone, just an observation).

The Ross Stewart one is a funny one.

So people now think he’s good enough, as he’s had another 18 months to develop with better players?

Ferguson is far better than Stewart at this juncture in his position.

Guessing Ferguson will move on, develop and we’ll decide we want him back as he’s Scottish, gets some goals, has a dig about him and time to develop?

They’re different, but I think Ferguson is on par with Jack in terms of development at his age.

For the right price, I’d take him as squad player.

Personally I’d rather go for Ali McCann than Ferguson Crouchy.

Pretty much the same age but I think he could be the next Ryan Jack.

Possibly. It's hard to say. As I said above about Stewart, these guys tend to need to be playing pretty much every week to hit these levels.

With us, they don't get that and it can lead to a bit of difficulty in them developing further. See Scott Wright at the moment for a good example of that, clearly got plenty about him but not quite kicked on because he's in and out of the team (that's no criticism of anyone, just an observation).
That's what I've always thought, players need to move elsewhere (England usually) to develop and become good enough, but by that time they are out of our price range.
Scott Wright is a good example of a player with development in him but not enough games to progress it.

Last edited:
I’ve not seen enough of McCann since he moved.

What I do find odd is the clamber for folk to say Ferguson is shite.

He’s 22, played nearly 200 games, 40 goals and 30 assists.

That’s good numbers.
In a very poor Aberdeen side too.

The only downside to signing him would be the fee they would want for him imo, good player.

We already have enough players for that - Jack, Wright, Arfield, Souttar. It’s no longer a consideration for us.

It's still something that's taken into consideration when recruiting players. It's not exactly out with the realms of possibility that we could be in Europe after Christmas and some of those you've mentioned are out with long term injuries.

Scott Brown wants to sign him for Fleetwood.

and.gif

That’s good numbers.
It's just the fact that the Sheep wouldn't sell to us Crouchy, unless it was ridiculous money. Ferguson will probably need to run down his contract if he ever wants to play for us.

That’s good numbers.

There’s no doubt they numbers are good, including his age Crouchy.

I can’t say he’s ever blown me away technically mate.

If we were to get him OOC or in the last year of his contract I could understand the gamble, but not for 4m or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back