The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our rivals for the league title have backed their manager to the tune of £44.7m across his 3 transfer windows.

How on earth can a Rangers manager compete with that constant level of investment long term, season after season?

Money doesn’t always equal success but 8 times out of 10 the team with the highest wage bill and transfer fee’s paid will win the league, never mind in a 2 horse race.

I know, it's almost like they are in better financial shape than what we are...

Madness reading that.

Said Celtic are also a Europa League team.

Nearly every window they are averaging about a £10/15m spend.

We are told there that a normal season is a £70m turnover, similar to the 55 season where we could only afford a couple of free transfers and Bacuna on buttons.
You are misreading it.
Our budget each season is set out as if we are a Europa league group stage club and that’s what we aim for.

Obviously this season has been a bonus in that we have now reached the UCL.

Yes, I’m still very disappointed in us not doing anything and likely giving them an easy out for another title. That’ll be on the board.

Isn't it a gamble us 'bringing' in players for our youth side, and expecting them to hit the ground running, and make the grade quicker than normal?
So we don't have to go out and buy quality?

Isn't that not putting too much pressure on the kids?
Couldn't we just have a balance for once.
Since we made the CL this season, and made some 'good' money last season?

Or is that too much to expect?

Look at the reaction towards some of the senior players we have signed! Colak was totally written off after USG. Matondo, Souttar and Davies now all getting treatment from certain quarters.

The youth players would be no different to the howls of derision coming from quarters of our fan base!

Very good points

In general the club's communication with the fans is appalling on many levels, from the finances and transfers to ticketing through to injury updates on our players. It creates a dangerous vacuum

This is a major problem. They are fucking woeful at transparency and communicating with the fans. Opting instead for an aloof and condescending approach. That just causes resentment and confusion among large pockets of the fanbase.

It's beyond infuriating.

That doesn’t necessarily need to be the case. Man Utd have the biggest net spend in Europe for the last 10 years for example but have won next to %^*& all?

Everton in the same time frame have outspend Liverpool also.

Spending £5m wisely and spending £20m recklessly will both wield different results

SPFL is a different scenario though with automatic CL qualification for the winners failure to win the title puts us at a massive finincal disadvantage before a ball is kicked each season.

That mob will simply spend another £20-25m every time they qualify for the CL. Even if we have the best manager in the world it's a huge ask to overturn that kind of advantage.

Our rivals for the league title have backed their manager to the tune of £44.7m across his 3 transfer windows.

How on earth can a Rangers manager compete with that constant level of investment long term, season after season?

Money doesn’t always equal success but 8 times out of 10 the team with the highest wage bill and transfer fee’s paid will win the league, never mind in a 2 horse race.
Their team needed a full rebuild from gk to attack, we did not. That is why they’ve spent so much money and Gio has not in comparison.

For me, my issue is not that money hasn’t been spent, i’m just a bit underwhelmed, particularly with the players we’ve spent the most on.

Three biggest outlays (transfer fees) on Davies, Matondo and Yilmaz

Granted Davies injured so can’t comment.

c. 4/5 mill on Yilmaz - i think it’s fair to have expected more given the outlay. Looked decent the other night, but i’m still a bit unsure. It’s a big outlay, and i don’t think we can afford to spend such a fee on a “project player”.

Matondo? Been pretty poor for me. Decent outlay again and I think what makes it more frustrating is that the RW position has been a real issue for us. Have we solved that problem with Matondo? Not on evidence thus far.

Here's the thing though if being self sustainable means we'll be outspent by that lot to the tune of £10-15m every single summer then we're pretty much admitting that we are to just happy to put up a half decent challenge and nothing more.

Continue doing that for several years and revenue falls dramatically which in turn weakens the team further.

Only two ways Rangers will be profitable first is downsizing the second is funding the team to a decent level which pays off through European runs and player sales.

Continue funding the side at the level we are now and in a few years time European runs won't happen.
Maybe this is true, and if so, maybe some transparency might take some of the heat off the board?

I thought we would have at least made a signing, a season loan deal. Especially after all the money generated recently with EL final, UCL qualification and sales.

Bheasts must be right with admin 2.0 incoming B-D

Our squad is too big, even after shifting the 'deadwood' and that's the problem. Wage bill is astronomical. Clearly we needed to sell the likes of Sakala, Helander, Roofe and potentially Kamara to get the revamp we all probably craved this summer.

I posted earlier on today that the club needs to get much better at getting value for money from the squad we already have. Likes of Roofe and Helander are simply not sustainable assets to have, no harm to them both, they are cracking players but we can't afford to keep gambling on players with spotty injury records.

Hagi and Ofoborh is just honking luck. Roofe, everyone knew what to expect with him and he came with a heap of cavaets. Helander had a fairly spotty injury record too, but it was slightly better than Roofe's.
Roofe and Helander where brought in when we couldn’t afford unflawed quality players. They did a job when we needed it. Would we sign them now? Not likely. We will see others in same boat like Jack leave as well when times up, but they are hard to sell when clubs know they will be out long periods

He makes a lot of very fair and senisble points and i agree with his general points. But id argue charging £180 for a 3 match package, if you were trying to simply build a bank balance for a rainy day, is poor.
He is right to point out that we have a huge wage bill. So much of that is tied up in injury prone players and fringe players we can’t sell as well.

Their team needed a full rebuild from gk to attack, we did not. That is why they’ve spent so much money and Gio has not in comparison.
I believe, for what it’s worth, we needed that rebuild after 55. Instead we handed out deals to Defoe, going the easy route.

We very much needed a re-build this summer but bottled it and handed out easy deals to McGregor, Arfield, Davis and the like.

As fans we aren’t ready for a rebuild unless the place is burning to the ground, Pedro and Murty style.

The idea that a re-build can be done post title or European success is simply inconceivable for Rangers fans across the board.

A DoF with vision would IMO spot and execute this.

Is that their net spend? I haven’t paid too much attention to the fees they have paid but surprised it would be that high given their sales of edouard etc

Maybe this is true, and if so, maybe some transparency might take some of the heat off the board?

I honestly don't think the board have much if any in the way of a long term plan that's why they say nothing.

We hear talk of finincal sustainability but not once have they come out in public and said that on the contrary every time they are asked about transfers they talk about spending more not less.

People are completely ignoring the new financial fair play regulations that we have to meet over the course of the next few years. We could sign a squad based on Champions League earning and wages which would then potentially have to be stripped if we didn’t qualify the following season.

Bassey was sold but was on buttons, Paterson wasn’t a high earner but brought in a big fee. We managed to get Lawrence despite significant interest from English clubs so he isn’t on buttons. Tillman has come from Bayern Munich, I’d estimate he’s on a healthy wage. Matondo has had a previous big move which would suggest he’s on a good salary. Davies came from Liverpool who won’t be paying peanuts. Kamara and Goldson have signed new deals on better terms and negotiations with Kent and Alfie (previously) were ongoing. The wage bill has definitely increased significantly. If we go out and spend millions more on players that also results in another big hike in wages.

It would be great to have another couple of boys in but people also have to look at the bigger picture and stop reacting completely on emotion.

Yeah for now it does, in the short term at least but I don't think the coefficient is sustainable, especially if others don't pitch in.
Europa last 16s (at least) are pretty easily achieved. Fact we’re a pot 1 europa team now means should be fail to qualify for ucl we should have a group where we can win most games, building coefficient points. Ok last season probably won’t be replicated but the points can by evened out by us and them both reaching UEL r16. Hearts picking up points in the ECL should help too.

Europa league final and champions league group stages, a massive overachievement by the manager and squad , and his reward is people left debating whether we are any stronger than last season. A shambolic window by a board who enjoy their big nights in Seville and Liverpool but are nowhere fit to run the biggest club in the country. If they think they can run it as the second biggest they won’t be here long.

Look at the reaction towards some of the senior players we have signed! Colak was totally written off after USG. Matondo, Souttar and Davies now all getting treatment from certain quarters.

The youth players would be no different to the howls of derision coming from quarters of our fan base!
I get your point, but don't necessarily agree with that.
The others, who just named are professionals who have been 'round the block' so to speak, and should be able, at this stage of their career's to handle playing for a club the size of Rangers.
We are demanding support. No doubt.

But we, I believe are also a realistic support.Well the majority of us are... and would expect less from those youngsters drafted in.
Prime example. I didn't hear anyone heavily criticizing Ure, Devine or McCann, after a poor 'team' display against QOTS.

Where as some of the more senior players were definitely getting it ...in the neck!

I honestly don't think the board have much if any in the way of a long term plan that's why they say nothing.

We hear talk of finincal sustainability but not once have they come out in public and said that on the contrary every time they are asked about transfers they talk about spending more not less.
Could be right there.
Certainly like keeping their cards so close to their chest.

You are misreading it.
Our budget each season is set out as if we are a Europa league group stage club and that’s what we aim for.

Obviously this season has been a bonus in that we have now reached the UCL.

Yes, I’m still very disappointed in us not doing anything and likely giving them an easy out for another title. That’ll be on the board.
It makes sense to run the club with expectation of the Europa league but given we have now made the champions league people will be wondering were the extra money that wasn't budgeted for is going to go. Once the accounts are released it will be a lot clearer what the position of the club is.

He is right to point out that we have a huge wage bill. So much of that is tied up in injury prone players and fringe players we can’t sell as well.

He is mate. I think the squad needs a major trim, but charging £180 was excessive - if its simply about Rangers having money in the bank, "just incase" something happens down the line.

Its not fair to fans, many of whom will be making some seriously tough choices this winter. (Not wanting to get too deep here, but you know what i mean). It would have been a much better gesture to give the fans money off, given we will have made a fortune this calander year, if the crux of this summer was building a rainy day fund.

To your point though. The squad absolutely needs trimmed. We could easily put out 2 good teams when everyones healthy. Guys like Helander and Roofe will be on a healthy wage as well.

Europa league final and champions league group stages, a massive overachievement by the manager and squad , and his reward is people left debating whether we are any stronger than last season. A shambolic window by a board who enjoy their big nights in Seville and Liverpool but are nowhere fit to run the biggest club in the country. If they think they can run it as the second biggest they won’t be here long.
Maybe (and wildly) they see it that a team that got to a European final and the Champions League group stages has demonstrated it's potentially good enough to win the Scottish top flight.

Plus I read they paid 6 million for carter vickers and 6 million for jotta, so there’s 12 of the 44 million just to stand still. Plus did one of the Japanese not cost them 4 million.

6 posts in 5 years....gtf Scott

Very good points

In general the club's communication with the fans is appalling on many levels, from the finances and transfers to ticketing through to injury updates on our players. It creates a dangerous vacuum
Be unprecedented access and communication we are looking for though, across any football club or business medal.
Due to recent history not without merits and maybe a decent vehicle of C1872 to have us all represented and give us access to the numbers and decisions is still needed

A lot of these comments mirror what was said before Psv away. Will be very interesting to see the chat if/when we pick up a result on Saturday.
We could win 5 bill on Saturday and draw the following weekend…. This thread will re/ spear with fury

I believe, for what it’s worth, we needed that rebuild after 55. Instead we handed out deals to Defoe, going the easy route.

We very much needed a re-build this summer but bottled it and handed out easy deals to McGregor, Arfield, Davis and the like.

As fans we aren’t ready for a rebuild unless the place is burning to the ground, Pedro and Murty style.

The idea that a re-build can be done post title or European success is simply inconceivable for Rangers fans across the board.

A DoF with vision would IMO spot and execute this.
But that’s not a complete rebuild, that’s a part rebuild. Something which we’ve already started this summer.

McGregor is there only player from their championship winning teams that is still a mainstay in their teams. They’ve pretty much replaced every other player. We were never going to do that and didn’t need to do that to be successful. All we need to do is partly rebuild the squad which as I said we’ve already started that this summer.

Plus I read they paid 6 million for carter vickers and 6 million for jotta, so there’s 12 of the 44 million just to stand still. Plus did one of the Japanese not cost them 4 million.
That's not standing still. It's buying a young player permanently, that has resale value and has performed well for them previously so is less of a risk. It's like when we bought Ryan Kent.

Europa last 16s (at least) are pretty easily achieved. Fact we’re a pot 1 europa team now means should be fail to qualify for ucl we should have a group where we can win most games, building coefficient points. Ok last season probably won’t be replicated but the points can by evened out by us and them both reaching UEL r16. Hearts picking up points in the ECL should help too.

Of course it's all achievable. Both Old Firm sides could be out of Europe by Christmas this season though. That's a very real possibility, for both of us. I don't hold much stock in Hearts picking up the slack either. I think points could be few and far between this year. I hope I'm wrong though.

That's not standing still. It's buying a young player permanently, that has resale value and has performed well for them previously so is less of a risk. It's like when we bought Ryan Kent.
Just like next year when we buy sands and tillman. Both will probably cost the guys of £10 million but they will be worth it.

Very disappointing, made worse by our injury problems. It really is poor that we are going into the old firm and champions league with goldson and sands as our centre halfs and no decent right wing. Some things never change
I know what you mean! Goldson and Sands were such a letdown with their clean sheet performance away in Eindhoven

What a riddy :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

On paper he shouldn’t compete.

But we are where we are.

Either Gio and the plan works

Or Gio will be chased and then the board at some point if it doesn’t

But the if the plan ( whatever this trading model ) is ) Works then they won’t

For me, my issue is not that money hasn’t been spent, i’m just a bit underwhelmed, particularly with the players we’ve spent the most on.

Three biggest outlays (transfer fees) on Davies, Matondo and Yilmaz

Granted Davies injured so can’t comment.

c. 4/5 mill on Yilmaz - i think it’s fair to have expected more given the outlay. Looked decent the other night, but i’m still a bit unsure. It’s a big outlay, and i don’t think we can afford to spend such a fee on a “project player”.

Matondo? Been pretty poor for me. Decent outlay again and I think what makes it more frustrating is that the RW position has been a real issue for us. Have we solved that problem with Matondo? Not on evidence thus far.
Sadly I agree.
Apart from Tillman, and Colack, and Lawrence (who was on a free I believe)? I am underwhelmed with the rest.So far.

I would rather have less players in the squad.
But more quality.

More in this case, does not necessary mean better.
Or stronger.

We seem to have the opposite in my opinion.
Again!

No. He conveniently is leaving out the £25-30 million they've brought in through transfers (Edouard, Ajer etc)

Yes and almost every penny of that was reinvested back into the team which allowed them to win the league and get automatic CL entry and spend £20m plus this summer as well.

I think doing well in the CL or EL is more important than winning our national league. I've never thought this before but financially, coefficiently and for prestige, it is true. Not to say winning our national league isn't important but it is becoming less important IMO. As for the transfer window, you have to understand that we are still recovering from 2012, we have to manage our finances carefully so don't be too disappointed that we haven't splashed the cash at this moment.

The Andy McGowan piece should be a sticky on here.
Very articulate way to describe how many on her feel but the usual shouty mob on here dismiss
No.Not at all.
A very sensible piece.

Again it would be nicer if this had been passed down from the board?
Without Andy having to put his neck on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back