The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I reserve 2nd post for further info.) HECK ... 3rd post

EXPLANATION: you can only have so many letters / signs in one post and all those links take up a lot of space, so I had to cut positions down to minimum already, e.g. centre-half to CH. I might have to put the squad list into this post later in the transfer window.

Full squad list at Transfermarkt

Squad by primary and optional position at Transfermarkt

Goal:
Allan McGregor (40) – contract 6/2023
Robby McCrorie (24) - contract 6/2023
Jon McLaughlin (34) - contract 6/2024

Defence
Filip Helander (29) - CH - contract 6/2023
Nikola Katic (25) - CH - contract 2023
James Sands (21) - CH/DM - loan till 6/2023 plus excl. buy option
James Tavernier (30) – RB- contract 6/2024
Borna Barisic (29) - LB - contract 6/2024
Calvin Bassey (22) - LB/CH - contract 6/2024
Leon King (18) - CH - contract 6/2024
Mateusz Zukowski (20) - RB - contract 6/2025
Connor Goldson (29) - CH - contract 6/2026
John Souttar (25) - CH - contract 6/2026
Ben Davies (26) - CH - contract 6/2026
Ridvan Yilmaz (20) - LB - contract 6/2027

Midfield
Steven Davis (36) – CM - contract 6/2023
Scott Arfield (33) – C/LM - contract 6/2023
Ryan Jack (30) – CM - contract 6/2023
Ryan Kent (25) – LW/AM - contract 6/2023
Malik Tillman (20) - AM - contract 6/2023 (option to buy)
Ross McCausland (19) - LW - contract 2024
Ianis Hagi (23) - AM – contract 6/2024
John Lundstram (28) - CM - contract 6/2024
Charlie McCann (20) - DM - contract 6/2024
Tom Lawrence (28) - LW - contract 202x
Glen Kamara (26) – CM - contract 6/2025
Nnamdi Ofoborh (22) – (CM) – contract 6/2025
Scott Wright (24) - LW/AM - contract 6/2025
Alex Lowry (18) - AM - contract 6/2025
Rabbi Matondo (21) - RW - contract 2025

Strikers
Alfredo Morelos (25) – ST - contract 6/2023
Kemar Roofe (29) - ST - contract 6/2024
Fashion Sakala (25) – ST – contract 6/2025
Antonio Colak (28) - ST - contract 2025

Coaching Staff
Check out the club's home page

Academy / B Side
-> https://www.Rangers.co.uk/article/academy-restructure/4skGYIfqugwK1CvGZUHFH0
GONE - ...

Women's Side

-> https://rangers.co.uk/teams/ladies-senior/
Worth look at the original rumours, yeah I’m happy with what we have also?

Disappointing end to what was a promising window.
I really did believe we'd do more business once the group stages were secured, though clearly misplaced optimism.

I think when you look at what we've taken in from the Europa run, Champions League qualification, Bassey money, Aribo money and to even an extent Gerrard + Patterson - that some additional spend on quality was a reasonable expectation.

Another concern is Arfield, Davis and McGregor all need replaced this time next year. The guts of - allegedly - £10m to secure Sands and Tillman.
We are probably looking at £12m next summer just to stand still.

I think doing well in the CL or EL is more important than winning our national league. I've never thought this before but financially, coefficiently and for prestige, it is true. Not to say winning our national league isn't important but it is becoming less important IMO. As for the transfer window, you have to understand that we are still recovering from 2012, we have to manage our finances carefully so don't be too disappointed that we haven't splashed the cash at this moment.
Domestic success is our bread and butter, titles and domestic cups are the real morale boosters.

There is no way that domestic success should play second fiddle to Europe, especially taking into account the financial disparity we face playing in Scotland.

Yes I forgot a lack of previous posts means what I said was wrong.

Rangers fans back their team more than anyone else in Britain and deserve so much more. Naturally the manager will end up taking the stick if the season doesn’t work out though.
Correct, you are wrong.
The board are fit to run club and have been doing so for a while thankfully

Think the argument of no room in the Euro squad is why we never signed anyone. Is probably going to be 2 high earners not in it as it is (Roofe & Helander most likely). Also is clearly no one that can add as association players worth spending money on in SPFL at present either

If Roofe is available then Sakala drops put. Easy call that one

I really did believe we'd do more business once the group stages were secured, though clearly misplaced optimism.

I think when you look at what we've taken in from the Europa run, Champions League qualification, Bassey money, Aribo money and to even an extent Gerrard + Patterson - that some additional spend on quality was a reasonable expectation.

Another concern is Arfield, Davis and McGregor all need replaced this time next year. The guts of - allegedly - £10m to secure Sands and Tillman.
And that will probably be a big reason why we didn’t spend more in this window.

Lowry and McCann likely to replace David and Arfield I reckon

I recall a Connor Goldson interview where he talked about 'fixing the roof whilst this sun is shining' after 55, which we failed to do. I think we've made the same mistake in this window.

Nobody was expecting 10's of millions to be spent, but it wasn't unreasonable or unrealistic to expect us to add one or two who would genuinely improve the first team once Champions League qualification was secured. I hope we don't come to regret that decision.

It's still early days, but of the seven signings we have made: Tillman, Colak and Lawrence look the part. Yilmaz looks like a prospect, but needs time. Souttar and Davies have barely kicked a ball. Matondo looks like a dud to me.

Meh.

Is that their net spend? I haven’t paid too much attention to the fees they have paid but surprised it would be that high given their sales of edouard etc

Nah its not they've basically just spent what they got for Edouard and Ajer last summer and spent a bit extra on top of it. Of course what doesn't get mentioned is they are in a far better place off the park than we have been but of course that won't matter.

Overall I’m really pleased with the window. We refreshed the first 11 which was needing done badly. We’ve added goals to the midfield, a goal scorer and some really promising young players (that will take time to settle).

Biggest negative from the window was the GK situation. I felt that was a massive opportunity missed and it got shelved for another year. Which I think will be costly.

SPFL is a different scenario though with automatic CL qualification for the winners failure to win the title puts us at a massive finincal disadvantage before a ball is kicked each season.

That mob will simply spend another £20-25m every time they qualify for the CL. Even if we have the best manager in the world it's a huge ask to overturn that kind of advantage.
But how many players do they have. The wage budget must be massive, surely there must be a point where enough is enough, especially as there are very few of their players leaving. Just because they spend that money doesn't guarantee success.

Potentially Kent and/or Morelos too. It could be a huge turnover that would cost about £25m to actually do right.

But how many players do they have. The wage budget must be massive, surely there must be a point where enough is enough, especially as there are very few of their players leaving. Just because they spend that money doesn't guarantee success.
I think our wage bill will be near enough the same as there’s.

I think doing well in the CL or EL is more important than winning our national league. I've never thought this before but financially, coefficiently and for prestige, it is true. Not to say winning our national league isn't important but it is becoming less important IMO. As for the transfer window, you have to understand that we are still recovering from 2012, we have to manage our finances carefully so don't be too disappointed that we haven't splashed the cash at this moment.

Winning the league is absolutely vital now as it guarantees you £30m minimum. Coming second only piles on massive pressure to win the CL qualifiers early in the season one bad game and you lose around £15m in income meaning you get weaker and eventually won't have the players to compete in Europe.

We also must not lose sight of other than winning a European trophy which is a rarity our clubs biggest aim is to be champions of Scotland.

I recall a Connor Goldson interview where he talked about 'fixing the roof whilst this sun is shining' after 55, which we failed to do. I think we've made the same mistake in this window.

Nobody was expecting 10's of millions to be spent, but it wasn't unreasonable or unrealistic to expect us to add one or two who would genuinely improve the first team once Champions League qualification was secured. I hope we don't come to regret that decision.

It's still early days, but of the seven signings we have made: Tillman, Colak and Lawrence look the part. Yilmaz looks like a prospect, but needs time. Souttar and Davies have barely kicked a ball. Matondo looks like a dud to me.

Meh.
I bet you also called Lundstam a dud after a month or two last season.

Why did we give extensions to Shagger, Davis and Arfield if the squad needed trimmed?

We look to have just got through this season on the cheap but nobody (it seems) has planned for us actually getting through 2 CL qualification ties and having an extra £20 million+ landing on our laps.

How we haven't got a few players lined up after last week is absolutely head-scratching stuff - you can't defend that no matter how staunch you want to look.

Is that their net spend? I haven’t paid too much attention to the fees they have paid but surprised it would be that high given their sales of edouard etc
Gross spend.
Why did we give extensions to Shagger, Davis and Arfield if the squad needed trimmed?

We look to have just got through this season on the cheap but nobody (it seems) has planned for us actually getting through 2 CL qualification ties and having an extra £20 million+ landing on our laps.

How we haven't got a few players lined up after last week is absolutely head-scratching stuff - you can't defend that no matter how staunch you want to look.
Put your life on at least 2 from the 4 of McGregor, Jack, Arfield and Davis getting a 1 year deal next summer too.

At least 2.

If Roofe is available then Sakala drops put. Easy call that one
Big IF though ain’t it…or even if he stays fit for the length of the group stage if he is registered. Also Hagi won’t be in the Euro squad either from my post, however he won’t be fit till December n then we could have same issue in February all over again

Edouard cost them £9.27million, they sold him for £14.67million, PSG received 40% of the £5million profit. His wages were way in excess of the transfer difference.

It's still £25-30 million into the bank. So while yes, Postecoglu has spent roughly £45 million in 3 windows, it's really only £15-20million.

And again, it's almost as if they're in a better financial situation than us.

As if they've had roughly a decade of consistently strong income compared to their nearest challenger.

It's the first time in almost 25 years where we are in a strong, solid financial setting.

We've spent £10-14 million this window.

Maybe we should have just waited to sign Davies, Yilmaz, Colak and Matondo until today. Had a great transfer window because they signed on deadline day.

Why do you think they haven’t spent more? Are they hoarding cash for the sake of it?

It's still £25-30 million into the bank. So while yes, Postecoglu has spent roughly £45 million in 3 windows, it's really only £15-20million.

And again, it's almost as if they're in a better financial situation than us.

As if they've had roughly a decade of consistently strong income compared to their nearest challenger.

It's the first time in almost 25 years where we are in a strong, solid financial setting.

We've spent £10-14 million this window.

Maybe we should have just waited to sign Davies, Yilmaz, Colak and Matondo until today. Had a great transfer window because they signed on deadline day.
And add another 8/9m onto that figure if you factor in the fees coming up for Tillman/Sands.

European runs are huge for our clubs finances and also it allows teams to watch our players on a higher stage like Bassey & Aribo for example but...

We cannot rely on getting through Champions League qualifiers every year. History tells us that these games are very difficult, look Malmo last season and even PSV was a very tough tie. You focus on your league and the rest fall into place. My opinion is I think we will do well in the groups and finish 2nd or 3rd... but over the course of the season this squad isn't good enough to fight on all fronts and we won't win the league. For some reason we will drop too many points away to shit like Hibs, Aberdeen etc.

Arfield on 4 goals for the season already and Davis playing well. I did wonder if both extensions were worth it and the right decision but their performances so far have justified them.

Arfield has huge value as a home-grown player as well. He will also chip in with goals. Who can forget his equaliser last year in the Scottish cup semi. Davis is simply class. He cant play 50 games a season, but he will 100% play a big part in our title challenge.

Gross spend.

Put your life on at least 2 from the 4 of McGregor, Jack, Arfield and Davis getting a 1 year deal next summer too.

At least 2.
If Arfield keeps performing as he has then I'm ok with that.

I think we didn't expect to make the CL so have essentially budgeted for Europa and for not having the cash to make too many replacements of your Davis/McGregor type players. We absolutely need to sign a first choice keeper next season. And a midfielder of the Davis type but younger.

I bet you also called Lundstam a dud after a month or two last season.
I think people are forgetting we had people willing to drive Lundstram down to Boro in the last transfer window

Colak couldn’t lead the line pre Eindhoven

Bassey should never have played for Rangers again after St Mirren put us out the cup

Etc etc etc

That Matondo, Davies and Soutar have already been written off is crazy but not surprising.

Worst thing I've read on this website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back