The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have really liked us to sign Botheim of all the strikers we’ve been linked with.

Think he’s really selling himself short is he signs for a team who avoided relegation last season by a single point.

Not really as he has already been in the team and had a fantastic last three/four months but we would have snapped someones arm off for £5m in January.

If we can get £20/25m for his this window I cant see that increasing, if anything a greater risk of it reducing.
He has got two years left.
He is a major player in the side.
He makes us a better team
In fact he gives us that wee extra that elevates us into a side capable of competing in the latter stages of a European competition.
We could sell Morelos, Aribo, Kamara, Kent, Bassey, Barasic and Hagi if the offers were all on the money, but we wouldn't have much of a team.
But of course 25 million and the big fella is gone.
Personally I hope he is still here when the season starts, smart trading is great, but I nonetheless want to watch the bulk of last season's team as I think they still have an even better song to sing.

Would have really liked us to sign Botheim of all the strikers we’ve been linked with.

Think he’s really selling himself short is he signs for a team who avoided relegation last season by a single point.

Money mate, he looks like a guy that is chasing the money.

I actually have no idea if he’s any good but i’m sure a players behaviours and personality are some the main drivers for our interest levels, if he’s a man that just wants to make as much money as he can then he will be out our range.

Not a criticism of the lad I must add

Totally get that Bassey is our biggest asset and selling him could fund an attacking mid, a right forward and a CB with change to spare but my gut tells me we should keep him.

Maybe. Maybe not.

They would probably pay the same for 26 year old with 1 left on his contract, as they would a 27 year old with 3 years on his contract.

So maybe we just sign them up?

So we push the player trading model back a further year ? Rely on more loans for another year to invest in the squad ? Ask the same players to perform more miracles in Europe to generate income ?

And you think we can repeat it this season with same players? Or next season if 3 major players walk out the door for nothing? What about winning titles? We didn’t manage it with these players last season. (& in case asked i wouldn’t have swapped the Europa run for the title)

Think the point is being lost in terms of long term strategy and planning. Even with the run we had to Seville, even getting money for Patterson & Gerrard et al, there is seemingly no money to strengthen the squad. We cannot continue operating on director loans.

There are deficiencies in the squad which we aren’t addressing & we need improvement. Think there is an assumption that as the players got to Seville they will easily negotiate the Champs league qualifiers. I don’t subscribe to that. We have one striker at the minute in Roofe with Morelos not fit & can’t get the Colak deal concluded.

Not sure why it’s not ok to be questioning our transfer business in this window thus far and our ability to put a long term strategy in place. I am getting increasingly worried & I am not convinced by Wilson. Hope to be proved wrong.
A simple question: does the player trading model exceed the European revenue of the last few years? I'm not the previous manager's greatest fan, but he didn't appear to subscribe to it; he must have had a good reason to want his best players here.

As is the norm these days......Ibrox is closed tight shut regarding rumours.
It should also be noted that no statements have been forthcoming in terms of business been completed.
It is pretty clear we are working away in the background and when something is signed and sealed....we will hear about it.
Unless a leak comes from the other club involved.
Until then, it's just this roller coaster of a thread with supposition and conjecture

We are clearly at the stage now where we find it difficult to bring in players that improve the starting line up which we have seen the last couple of years. The bulk of the team was brought at the start Gerrard regime and have been improved and developed by our coaching team and by playing regularly against quality opposition in Europe.

Players that are going to improve us generally cost a lot in transfer fees or signing on fees and wages although it is up the the recruitment team to find a few exceptions and be ready to move for them when the window opens.

My biggest concern is the longer it goes on the further down the our priority list of targets we are probably going. Don’t want another Bacuna situation in a few weeks time.

I'm not concerned really, I also note that a tidy transfer window doesn't always guarantee success, ours was a riot in '09 and we won a double. Same for that lot last season.

But there is no way what we're (not) witnessing was even close to the initial plan. Wilson and Gio will have wanted and anticipated more activity than this prior to preseason staring.

We are clearly at the stage now where we find it difficult to bring in players that improve the starting line up which we have seen the last couple of years. The bulk of the team was brought at the start Gerrard regime and have been improved and developed by our coaching team and by playing regularly against quality opposition in Europe.

Players that are going to improve us generally cost a lot in transfer fees or signing on fees and wages although it is up the the recruitment team to find a few exceptions and be ready to move for them when the window opens.

My biggest concern is the longer it goes on the further down the our priority list of targets we are probably going. Don’t want another Bacuna situation in a few weeks time.
Surely all this is Ross Wilson’s job though? What does he actually do then?

Some of the chat around “the player trading model” is verging in the obsessive.

Firstly, there’s no evidence to suggest we have one. Secondly, you have to take each case on it’s merit; it doesn’t have to be so binary. There are so many variables to consider in each sale, that rigidly sticking to conceived parameters won’t always be relevant.

Dress it up how you like but this transfer window is becoming a real worry. We have 3 first 11 starters and key men out of contract in 12months, we appear to have no sort of budget in which to buy new players and have taken to resigning our aged players instead of refreshing the squad.

The Kent, Aribo & Morelos situations need addressed. They either sign new deals or they leave. The worry is the longer it goes on in this window the less likely it will be that we are able to bring in new players & the less likely we will receive bids that meet our valuation.

We have a major hurdle in terms of Champs League qualification looming and you would have thought we’d want business done early to help in that.

The capabilities of Ross Wilson are seriously in question for me now. He has major players and sellable assets with diminishing value who could walk for free in 12months, he is unable presumably to get them to sign new deals &/or is unable to sell for acceptable fees. We cannot operate a player trading model in those circumstances. He may be ‘comfortable’ with the situation but it worries me.

This transfer window is feeling a lot like last summer. We are in danger of standing still.
FFS. We are going into the season with a team that got to Europa league final. Yet you post constant negativity.

You don’t understand the financial situation of the club nor the need to get value for money out of every pound we spend.

You constantly call for money to be spent with no idea where it comes from or the long term consequences of irresponsible spending. FFS we have been here before.

We have a deal on the table for a striker. We need a RW as well. Apart from that we will be fine.

Yet you are pissing your pants all over the place. You don’t understand Ross Wilson role.

Why not try a wee bit of positivity.

Seemingly it's not his responsibility to manage the ins and outs of playing staff. So if players just want to sit tight then he just locks himself in his office and plays fifa online.
Yeah I don't understand this "can't sell them if no-one wants them". If no-one wants Aribo, Morelos, Kent, Kamara etc then it certainly isn't because of their ability. DOF and Agents are supposed to approach clubs and say they are available if we are looking to sell them

£10m (his sell-on clause) plus a 20% sell-on fee to potential suitors and he goes with best wishes.

:(

If there is a release fee clause and it is £10m then we'll get £10m. If it is £10m plus a % sell on fee then we'll get £10m plus the %sell on fee. The fee would be non-negotiable, why would any buying club pay any more than required?

Aribo is a player of unbelievable skill but way too often leaves me feeling he could do more, work a wee bit harder. IMHO his laid back nature is what will stop him reaching the very top.

Definitely.

I will admit I'm a wee bit surprised at the lack of activity solely based on us having a new manager and it being his first summer transfer window. Generally he'd want his own team right from the word go.

We probably have a very small budget (i.e what we're trying to sign Colak with) but relying on one or 2 big sales to let Gio spend more.

I think we underestimate how much Gio has took to the current squad and vice versa once they got used to one another.

He said something after the Leipzig game that I thought went unnoticed due to the general euphoria, it was something along the lines of 'this squad has the best spirit of any team I've worked with'. That was when I started doubting the whole massive rebuild stuff that was getting parroted.

We'll sign a couple/few players, but it was never going to be a rip up and start again.

Seemingly it's not his responsibility to manage the ins and outs of playing staff. So if players just want to sit tight then he just locks himself in his office and plays fifa online.

I think it’s total ignorance if you don’t think players are financially driven and therefor will happily run their contracts down to maximise signing-on fees and wages.

Yes, a DOF can try and shift the players ahead of that happening but all it takes is a Leeds (as an example) to say to Kents agent that if he sits the contract out, they will give him £5m signing on fee and £50k per week.

Do you expect Kent to say “nahhh, i’ll sign a new £25k per week contract and stay in the SPFL”.

The power is all with the players, if they run the deals down we budget their salaries into our own bosman offers and so on.

That said, I think they (Morelos and Kent) will sign new deals but if they don’t, I won’t be “panicking” as seems to be the buzz word on here.

If there is a release fee clause and it is £10m then we'll get £10m. If it is £10m plus a % sell on fee then we'll get £10m plus the %sell on fee. The fee would be non-negotiable, why would any buying club pay any more than required?

Aribo is a player of unbelievable skill but way too often leaves me feeling he could do more, work a wee bit harder. IMHO his laid back nature is what will stop him reaching the very top.
Don't waste your time.... I explained how a release clause works to that poster about 4 times the other day and he's clearly still not got it

Firstly, there’s no evidence to suggest we have one. Secondly, you have to take each case on it’s merit; it doesn’t have to be so binary. There are so many variables to consider in each sale, that rigidly sticking to conceived parameters won’t always be relevant.
The people running the club have talked publicly about player trading being important part of running the club to be self sufficient. So that is the model. Just we don't really do the sell part that often.

The main player we want to sell this summer is Aribo, speculation alone suggests Fulham, Forrest, Palace and Southampton are all interested.

I believe we are actively trying to agree new deals for Morelos and Kent. If we sell either of those two, the replacements will simply not be at the same level
I tend to agree with this and it would have been my own choice at the start of the summer as well. I love Aribo but of the three he’s the most replaceable(not saying it’s an easy job to replace).

Most wouldn't pay more than the release clause but I am sure Moyes did at Man U to sign Fellaini(sp).

I think it’s total ignorance if you don’t think players are financially driven and therefor will happily run their contracts down to maximise signing-on fees and wages.

Yes, a DOF can try and shift the players ahead of that happening but all it takes is a Leeds (as an example) to say to Kents agent that if he sits the contract out, they will give him £5m signing on fee and £50k per week.

Do you expect Kent to say “nahhh, i’ll sign a new £25k per week contract and stay in the SPFL”.

The power is all with the players, if they run the deals down we budget their salaries into our own bosman offers and so on.

That said, I think they (Morelos and Kent) will sign new deals but if they don’t, I won’t be “panicking” as seems to be the buzz word on here.
Nobody is suggesting it's not a difficult task, that is why people in Wilson position are paid good money.

Your given a priority list and if you don't succeed then you failed. It's as cut throat and as simple as that.

Wilson must protect and maximise our player assets that will be one of his highest priorities. Losing any big money players for free, if its not by choice, is a failure.

I went down a Twitter rabbit hole yesterday and found a Turkish Twitter account talking about Bottheim. Frustratingly I can't find it again despite searching. The gist of the story was:

Krasnodor have said they will sue whoever he signs for to the tune of circa £15m (they've no chance, but that was the story).

Bottheim wants circa £2m signing-on fee.

Bottheim wants circa £40k per week in wages.

Whether that is a stretch for Salernatina or not I have no idea.

The people running the club have talked publicly about player trading being important part of running the club to be self sufficient. So that is the model. Just we don't really do the sell part that often.

I think player trading is an important aspect of any football club ha. Such a generic term. I think the whole approach to it is just assumptions made by fans - who then get upset if we haven’t sold a guy by the time he reaches 27 or we sign a guy who’s 29 “in Greek Years”. It’s a bit mad to get into such specifics when all the club have said is a blanket term.

I think we underestimate how much Gio has took to the current squad and vice versa once they got used to one another.

He said something after the Leipzig game that I thought went unnoticed due to the general euphoria, it was something along the lines of 'this squad has the best spirit of any team I've worked with'. That was when I started doubting the whole massive rebuild stuff that was getting parroted.

We'll sign a couple/few players, but it was never going to be a rip up and start again.

Agree with this. Said before this is a squad we have seen for a couple of years, but to Gio they are a new squad, he will see things that Gerrard didnt and utilise them differently. Still think there will be a few changes. Colak is the first, but our business is not done in the open so anew signings we will hear when they are close any extensions when they are done.

It should also be noted that no statements have been forthcoming in terms of business been completed.
It is pretty clear we are working away in the background and when something is signed and sealed....we will hear about it.
Until then, it's just this roller coaster of a thread with supposition and conjecture
"Closed, tight shut" but you KNOW "it's pretty CLEAR we are working away"

Comedy gold FF for a Sunday morning.

We now have posters actively suggesting that we should allow Aribo, Kent & Alfie to run down their contracts & leave for nothing. Wow.

It's fucking fundamental to a football club to have a player trading model if they don't have access to big funds in other ways i.e TV deals etc

It does have to be so binary, we need a model that works and gets talent out at the right time to maximize profits.

Otherwise, we miss out on Europe once? and the whole thing comes crashing down. We need to be self sustaining.

It's that bloody simple.

I think player trading is an important aspect of any football club ha. Such a generic term. I think the whole approach to it is just assumptions made by fans - who then get upset if we haven’t sold a guy by the time he reaches 27 or we sign a guy who’s 29 “in Greek Years”. It’s a bit mad to get into such specifics when all the club have said is a blanket term.
The player trading model has been mentioned as a key pillar of us becoming self sustainable by Ross Wilson and board members continually over the last couple of years.

We now have posters actively suggesting that we should allow Aribo, Kent & Alfie to run down their contracts & leave for nothing. Wow.

I don’t think anyone is actually suggesting that happens, your comment is a stretch!!

There is a potential reality to it happening though which is the power the players have.

I’ve said repeatedly that the best outcome of this window is an Aribo sale and Kent/Morelos new deals. Secondly, all 3 are sold for good money but I think that is more unlikely

Nobody is suggesting it's not a difficult task, that is why people in Wilson position are paid good money.

Your given a priority list and if you don't succeed then you failed. It's as cut throat and as simple as that.

Wilson must protect and maximise our player assets that will be one of his highest priorities. Losing any big money players for free, if its not by choice, is a failure.
Of course it's a difficult task - primarily because neither Wilson, nor anybody else, can control all the 'moving parts'. Let's say he's been busy trying to find a buyer for Kent. Nobody interested, until he speaks to Nottingham Forest who, eventually, are persuaded to submit a bid that's close to acceptable. The deal is put to the player who simply says 'f*ck off, I'm not going to Forest'. Or he's happy to go to Forest but they won't pay him what he's looking for. Or Forest will only bid two thirds of what we think he's worth.

I have no doubt Wilson's priorities this Summer will have been to get Kent, Morelos and Aribo to sign new contracts. I expect he has, and is, investing a lot of time in it. He may well have done the same last Summer and, indeed, this Winter. Nevertheless, if the player is determined to run down his contract then that is what he will do. You cannot force him to sign an extension, nor can you force another club to bid an acceptable fee, not can you force the player to sign for a club he doesn't fancy.

Wilson can do his bit - but then he's at the mercy of others, not least the player. And his Agent, who will be doing similar stuff to Wilson in contacting clubs and gauging interest.

I still maintain we will buy - what will happen with the three out of contract players remains up for debate though. Initially I felt two would extend (Kent and Morelos) and one would run down his contract. Not so sure now as its taking a long time to get them to sign. Albeit Kent only returns this week, today I think.

Last edited:

Yeah I understand that too mate and at the end of the day he got that squad to a European final so you might be right.

He could have been asked if he wants a few sales and some new players, or try and keep the current main ones and add squad fillers.

It's just a surprise with a new manager you normally see loads activity, not the opposite.

Plenty time though.

Money mate, he looks like a guy that is chasing the money.

I actually have no idea if he’s any good but i’m sure a players behaviours and personality are some the main drivers for our interest levels, if he’s a man that just wants to make as much money as he can then he will be out our range.

Not a criticism of the lad I must add
Yes, all of us understand the sheer pressure to ensure financial security.
However, there is still an element of 'the glory game' in most players.
It is one of the reasons they pursue the dream of becoming a footballer in the first place.
I would be wary of a player who didn't have this as a motivating factor in their career.
I would say that we have a team of players who enjoy being in a packed stadium with adulation pouring down upon them.
It certainly showed last season.
Yes, memories don't pay the bills in old age but they certainly keep the heart beating fondly, feed the soul and nourish the mind.
I don't know if you can put a value on that?

At some point due to the failure to sign players up to new desks we are going to have to accept offers lower than our fantasy valuations, else we will lose them for nothing next season and have no money to replace them.

I just hope that it isn’t in the last few days of the window where we are then rushing around trying to replace 3-4 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back