The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love it to as well. I think he is capable of more.

But I also think he is electric, he assists assists and teams shit it from him that much they double.up on him and leave gaps.

There's no other player on that park you want the ball to land at when we break.

I absolutely love Ryan Kent, one of my favourite players. I just feel the stats argument, whilst it is a talking point, is often used as a rod to beat him with.
This more than anything!!!!!
We only seem to see assist stats, which is fine, but that doesn't tell the whole story of the move that went before.

Nothing really gets mentioned about the player who beats 3 men, then passes to someone who crosses, or lays a pass on for a goal. (The assist assist or pre assist)

I reckon if that was looked at, Kent would be very high in that regard.

Let’s hope not and let’s hope he signs a new deal. He’s a bit of a throwback of a player that we’d struggle to replace in my opinion, even with his limited number of goals last season.
Someone posted yesterday was still a target as mentioned on one of their pods . I agree don’t want him going anywhere .

We’ve identified Lovro Majer, Joey Veerman and Skov Olsen as targets that we just couldn’t find that extra £1m or so for, who have since shown how good they are. Doekhi will do the same. I have no issues with our scouting. We just need to find a way to increase our funds, possibly through selling a couple of players.

Is it all down to cash though, mate?

I can totally understand why these guys, on a clear upward career trajectory, don’t see playing on the shag pile carpet at The Tony Macaroni Arena or against 11 hammer throwers at Fir Park / McDiarmid Park / Dingwall as a positive career choice.

We do need to improve our ratio on signing real quality like this, I agree, but it’s about much more than money sadly.

Here's Andy's Twitter thread unrolled. Bit easier to follow than Twitter:

screencapture-threadreaderapp-thread-1542421393891008512-html-2022-06-30-09-54-08.png

Sounds like the Colak deal is close, hopefully we're now concentrating on targets in other areas. Still need a right sided attacking midfielder.

But realistically until we sell players what else do we need? We've lost Balogun and replaced him with Souttar. Colak will be the replacement for Itten.

Lowry and McCann are now considered 1st team players, so from thinking this summer would be a complete rebuild it could end up being one of our quietest ever!

Probably something worth thinking about before we all go gaga.
It all comes back to the same thing, we need to sell 1 or 2 players for a significant profit each season and reinvest in a combination of players that will make us a profit in the future along with some players ready to go straight into the team. It’s the only model that will work for us

Assuming we sign Colak, I doubt there will be much more than another few million for a right winger without a significant player sale

Sounds like the Colak deal is close, hopefully we're now concentrating on targets in other areas. Still need a right sided attacking midfielder.

But realistically until we sell players what else do we need? We've lost Balogun and replaced him with Souttar. Colak will be the replacement for Itten.

Lowry and McCann are now considered 1st team players, so from thinking this summer would be a complete rebuild it could end up being one of our quietest ever!

Lowry certainly looks ready to me. Just got a bad feeling he'll be on the fringes whilst Arfield makes 30+ appearances again. I hope Gio proves me wrong.

We have a relatively young squad; yesterday, I'm sure I read a ludicrous claim that ours was the oldest in the League.

30 and over- 6 players
Under 25 - 27 players ( of those, between 20 and 25- 21 players; under 20- 7 players)
Between 26 and 29 - 7 players.

The squad has an average age of under 25.

Last edited:
It all comes back to the same thing, we need to sell 1 or 2 players for a significant profit each season and reinvest in a combination of players that will make us a profit in the future along with some players ready to go straight into the team. It’s the only model that will work for us

Assuming we sign Colak, I doubt there will be much more than another few million for a right winger without a significant player sale

And the problem with selling high for clubs like us at the moment is that the rich clubs all seem to be throwing money at each other so they can stay within these rules, and the rest of the market has stagnated as a result.

Is it all down to cash though, mate?

I can totally understand why these guys, on a clear upward career trajectory, don’t see playing on the shag pile carpet at The Tony Macaroni Arena or against 11 hammer throwers at Fir Park / McDiarmid Park / Dingwall as a positive career choice.

We do need to improve our ratio on signing real quality like this, I agree, but it’s about much more than money sadly.

Anyone feigning surprise that Doekhi picked a progressive Bundesliga side that also has European football this season as the next step in his career is at it. Playing in that league isn't going to do his international credentials any harm either.

"Come to Ibrox and we'll get you a move to a bigger team" Based on what ? We have no examples to fall back on in the recent past.

I was a massive critic of Wright, however, he finished the season very very well. I still want us to sign a RW, however, I think he is going to surprise people this season.

Honestly mate I hope he does however the surprise for me would be him showing a higher level of consistency and marked improvement.

He’s not at the level we require, for now at least, to be a regular starter but hopefully can push whoever that may be and prove he has a future with us longer term.

Or the team that got us to the final of their other premier tournament , 6 weeks ago :rolleyes:. Oh and I thought we had a bid accepted £1.8m striker , eh yesterday:D.
Relying on the same core group of players to go again after approximately 4 years of 60 odd games a season is absolute lunacy

Standing still is as good as going backwards. Cant understand anyone who thinks the squad doesnt need a refresh, particularly given the injury issues we have with the squad absolutely threadbare by the end of last season. You cannot rely on what you have done previously in football - last season is gone, and will bear absolutely no relevance to the coming season.

We were unbeaten in the 55 season. Look how different we were after that high.

Bodies are needed.

Anyone feigning surprise that Doekhi picked a progressive Bundesliga side that also has European football this season as the next step in his career is at it. Playing in that league isn't going to do his international credentials any harm either.

"Come to Ibrox and we'll get you a move to a bigger team" Based on what ? We have no examples to fall back on in the recent past.
Only argument that we may of had is that we could have offered him CL instead of UL, but that's not a guarantee.

Another piece telling us to relax because we'll sell players to reinvest. I wonder when that will actually start happening.
It’s a 2 way street mate , and is mostly dictated by the buying club , not going to happen because it suits us to do business early . In fact the later the better for some clubs .

I have been quite relaxed about waiting for the right players to come in but with us into July tomorrow even I'm getting a bit concerned about lack of activity at this stage.
Feel the same. Getting players in relatively early is key IMO. How often do we look back and say things like "well he didnt get a proper pre-season" as one of the reasons why a player may not have hit the ground running.

It's not exactly panic stations, but I cant remember the last time we signed a player late on in the transfer window who went on to make an immediate and significant impact in the starting 11.

Would like to see some movement - but at the same time i'm also surprised there have been no bids for any of our players.

Relying on the same core group of players to go again after approximately 4 years of 60 odd games a season is absolute lunacy

Standing still is as good as going backwards. Cant understand anyone who thinks the squad doesnt need a refresh, particularly given the injury issues we have with the squad absolutely threadbare by the end of last season. You cannot rely on what you have done previously in football - last season is gone, and will bear absolutely no relevance to the coming season.

Bodies are needed.
I repeat , we had a bid accepted on a striker yesterday . As I said above because we want business done early , doesn’t mean it will be .

I can see clubs coming in for our players later in the window and our activity kicking off then but of course that is no good for our credentials this season. We are standing still again.

Meanwhile our rivals appear to be doing business early and strengthening their squad.

I’m a panic merchant though.

Bodies are needed.

Bodies need to leave first. Clearly we can’t compensate for injury and suspension at the tail end of a campaign by continually adding more numbers to a squad.

Only argument that we may of had is that we could have offered him CL instead of UL, but that's not a guarantee.

Even when we were flinging money about like confetti in the 90's we were coming up against the same brick wall.

This league isn't rated. It's a backwater. We can fling as much money as we want at players. A lot of them are going to choose biggers leagues, not bigger clubs.

Lowry certainly looks ready to me. Just got a bad feeling he'll be on the fringes whilst Arfield makes 30+ appearances again. I hope Gio proves me wrong.
I've watched him in a few B games and he stands out in that league. It's up to him to make Gio play him by showing he is better than Arfield.
I think he will be a regular by the world Cup break.

Bodies need to leave first. Clearly we can’t compensate for injury and suspension at the tail end of a campaign by continually adding more numbers to a squad.
And this is where there is clearly an issue as it appears there have been no bids for any of our players. So we are seemingly at an impasse which, unless it kicks into action, can and will only result in stagnation.

yes and my post was with reference to your suggestion that we are in a good place because our injury ravaged squad made it to the Europa League final.
With a full pre season , won’t be injury ravaged anymore , any squad would have struggled to cope with amount of games last season , always going to be injury’s that’s just the way it is .

Needed a RW since candeias left.

Probably something worth thinking about before we all go gaga.

And this is why the transfer market has been slow so far. Clubs are waiting for the big/rich clubs to spend there money first, then the rest will follow once they’ve got extra cash to spend.

Unfortunately we are in the boat waiting on the big/rich clubs buying before we can spend too. The joy/limitations of playing in Scotland.

It’s a 2 way street mate , and is mostly dictated by the buying club , not going to happen because it suits us to do business early . In fact the later the better for some clubs .

Well let's hope we don't get to the end of another window to be told we've had zero bid for any of our players, especially with three of our most sellable assets potentially leaving for nothing in 12 months.

And this is where there is clearly an issue as it appears there have been no bids for any of our players. So we are seemingly at an impasse which, unless it kicks into action, can and will only result in stagnation.
As I said before mate , just because we want business done early , doesn’t mean it will be , it’s suits a lot of clubs not to tbh . We have to be patient and assess at the end of the window , but so many factors at play I don’t envy the club .

With a full pre season , won’t be injury ravaged anymore , any squad would have struggled to cope with amount of games last season , always going to be injury’s that’s just the way it is .
how do you know we wont be injury ravaged?

Helander is injured in perpetuity, as is Roofe. Hagi is nowhere near coming back, and Alfie is recovering from a long lay off. Souttar coming in has had his issues as well.

It's not as simple as just getting them back in pre season.

Doekhi and his big mate who we were also linked with looked like a pair of carthorses whenever I watched Vitesse tbh. Seriously bad in that last game when they shipped 6 against AZ Alkmaar.

Agree with your general point though.

Well let's hope we don't get to the end of another window to be told we've had zero bid for any of our players, especially with three of our most sellable assets potentially leaving for nothing in 12 months.
Well that’s the reason we will be negotiating with the players just now .

precisely the issue.

Yeah. He's basically picked the Bundesliga over Rangers. It's understable. Although I doubt he'd have regretted it if he did join us. Just one of the many disadvantages of playing in Scotland.

Missing out on the guaranteed Champions league funds has got in this situation. We may bring in a player or 2 if the price is right...but it won't be what the expectations are on here.
Until we either have secured a place in the champions League group stages, or bring in funds which a player like Bassey would bring in, then I won't be expecting a lot to happen unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back