The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Yes, statistically I’m sure he was. Sure I seen it on here at the time.

Anyway, I’ll ask again, who is he better than? I’m assuming you think he’s better than Balogun? He’ll need to be fucking excellent to be better than Goldson or Helander.
Balogun was not the second best centre back in the Championship. Maybe he was ranked there in a stat or two.

He isn’t better than Helander or Goldson, but when Balogun loses his pace he won’t be good enough, Helander is pretty injury prone, Goldson cannot keep playing this many games at that intensity (see Liverpool this season) & Edmundson/Katics are miles off it.

I’d be looking to sign a centre back for next season that can step in for Helander when injured, so preferably left sided.

Balogun was not the second best centre back in the Championship. Maybe he was ranked there in a stat or two.

He isn’t better than Helander or Goldson, but when Balogun loses his pace he won’t be good enough, Helander is pretty injury prone, Goldson cannot keep playing this many games at that intensity (see Liverpool this season) & Edmundson/Katics are miles off it.

I’d be looking to sign a centre back for next season that can step in for Helander when injured, so preferably left sided.
Glad our CB options outside of Helander and Goldson are so poor we’ve only conceded 7 goals in the league so far this season. Hopefully if we sign someone of the ability you believe Davies is at, we won’t concede a single goal next season. Here we go, 2 in a row!

Should always be striving to be better if the opportunity arises, and he is better than some of our options.

Aye, but Jones is better than Middleton, Barker is better than Jones.....

It doesn’t always work that way. The fringe players mustn’t be the bench mark.

Plus we can’t look at the individual players/positions in isolation. Davies (if we were even interested) might have been a better option than Simpson. But he’d have commanded a higher salary which would’ve reduced the “pot of money” which may have been already planned for another higher priority target(s)

I genuine don’t think we were fully interested in Davies anyway. Certainly not to the extent that it was an us or them decision for him. Nobody in their right mind would choose them over us right now, unless it’s a bigoted Irish catholic.

Glad our CB options outside of Helander and Goldson are so poor we’ve only conceded 7 goals in the league so far this season. Hopefully if we sign someone of the ability you believe Davies is at, we won’t concede a single goal next season. Here we go, 2 in a row!
Balogun is the only option we’ve played outside those two, and as I said, his pace will begin to go soon as he is 33 in June.

Great reply but mate.

Aye, but Jones is better than Middleton, Barker is better than Jones.....

It doesn’t always work that way. The finge players mustn’t be the bench mark.

Plus we can’t look at the individual players/positions in isolation. Davies (if we were even interested) might have been a better option than Simpson. But he’s have commanded a higher salary which would’ve reduced the “pot of money” which has may been already planned for another higher priority target(s)

I genuine don’t think we were fully interested in Davies anyway. Certainly not to the extent that it was an us or them decision for him. Nobody in their right mind would choose them over us right now, unless it’s a bigoted Irish catholic.
Fair points and agree re: the money pot. I think that is the reason.

Cheers mate. Don’t tug yourself off too furiously tonight over how good Ben Davies is.
Don’t think I’ve said anything other than we need backup for our main two centre backs, and he is indeed better than Edmundson, Katic & Simpson. All of whom he is only a year older than.

However I accept his wage demands are a bit much.

Calm down.

Don’t think I’ve said anything other than we need backup for our main two centre backs, and he is indeed better than Edmundson, Katic & Simpson. All of whom he is only a year older than.

Calm down.
Given the Bournemouth manager confirmed that we tried to sign Simpson last year, it's pretty clear that the club sees something in him that they don't in Davies. We would have competed for him if we wanted him.

I'd also like to know how you've come to the definitive conclusion that he's better than Simpson, how much of him have you seen?

Don’t think I’ve said anything other than we need backup for our main two centre backs, and he is indeed better than Edmundson, Katic & Simpson
With Simpson signing that isn’t happening though. One of Balogun, Edmundson or Katic will make up our four options along with Goldson, Helander and Simpson.

Given the Bournemouth manager confirmed that we tried to sign Simpson last year, it's pretty clear that the club sees something in him that they don't in Davies. We would have competed for him if we wanted him.
That doesn’t follow. Davies only comes up to Scotland with more or less a guarantee of first team football which Celtic can provide because their defence is a mess. We were looking for a squad player not a stick on starter.

That doesn’t follow. Davies only comes up to Scotland with more or less a guarantee of first team football which Celtic can provide because their defence is a mess. We were looking for a squad player not a stick on starter.
Rangers don't sign designated squad players

Find the Davies vs Simpson comparisons weird tbh unless people have actually watched a bit of both centre halfs play.

Davies more accomplished and experienced than Simpson yes, but does anyone even know his style of play?

Look at Duffy for example - they signed him on the back of 100+ appearances in the premier league and he's been garbage for them. We need ball playing centre halfs in our defence as well as good defenders.

I'll wait until I see them both play before I decide who has got the better deal.

Calm down.
Fair enough.

I think when we’re on course to beat the Scottish record for the least goals conceded in a season, our CB area is the least of our worries.

I suppose Bosmans are different, but selling Frimpong doesn't suggest there's a new manager coming in anytime soon.

I can't see Lennons ego taking the likes of Alex Neil calling the shots from afar ahead of taking over in the summer, Lennon would spontaneously combust.
In fairness, I think if they got offered what they did for Frimpong under any manager their board would accept it.

Pretty sure Davies is quite small for a cb, think he’s only 6ft. I’m not too fussed, he’s not better than goldson, helander or balogun. We’ve brought in Simpson as left sided back up and I’d guess he’s a significant upgrade on edmundson. I feel that I’m Scotland your cb need to be above 6ft and very physical. We will see the style of cb he will be up here and if he will make it.

Tavernier, Patterson.
Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Simpson, Katić.
Barišić, Bassey.

Will be interesting to see if Balogun signs a new deal and whether Katić remains at Rangers next season or is sent out on loan for regular first team football as he’s lost near on a season with his injury?

Tavernier, Patterson.
Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Simpson, Katić.
Barišić, Bassey.

Will be interesting to see if Balogun signs a new deal and whether Katić remains at Rangers next season or is sent out on loan for regular first team football as he’s lost near on a season with his injury?
He's already signed a deal that gives us an option to extend.

We will be holding off because committing now leaves us open to him getting a broken leg on the last day of the season or something

I also see that Aberdeen have recalled a player from raith rovers that plays Scott wrights position, maybe means Wright is on his way this month?

I see that sakala has scored again tonight.

Hope the rumours are true he looks the part.
Looks really good one i hope we're chasing if we can get him on a pre contract and Lundstram as well who was excellent against Manchester United last night all our buissnes could be near enough done for next season before pre season has even started

Brian Brobbey off the bench for Ajax and scores a min later. Can remember someone saying we should make a move, free to speak to other clubs as his contracts up in summer

ah Raiola will have him touted round the elite clubs and pocketing himself a large fee as per

Back