Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it earlier this week we played Man Utd under 23s or last week?

images

With Hagi injured, bacuna off and Lundstrum clearly not in Gio’s plans/likely to be off - we’ll be bringing a couple in I’d imagine

Depends on the type of youth player obviously but I’d be expecting a big signing on top of a loan player from Man Utd to boost the squad.

No more squad boosters please
I agree but again it depends on the type of youth player we got fed the scraps of Liverpool’s loan players but there’s plenty of highly rated youth players who would make a difference. Pellistri or Chong are two players who are highly rated who would be good players to bring in. If we’re bringing in someone to take wrights spot in the squad as a back up then that’s okay.

Playing Man Utd’s under 23’s doesn’t specifically mean we might be signing a player from that squad. It was at Carrington you know!

Maybe Wilson was speaking with Woodward or whoever their equivalent is.

Is that some sort of trick question?
No

Its a legit question

What type of signing would you class as a standard squad booster? And what ones should be prioritised?

Like a first team starter?

Like, I would love us to sign Xavi Simons, but is he 1st team ready? Is that a squad booster?

Should we prioritise that type of player over a guy who definitely would make the starting 11?

It wasn't a trick question, I genuinely have an interest in what profile we should be looking for and what a squad booster standard is you know?

Signing a Man U youth player isn't going to do it for me if that's the chat here. We need to make a genuine quality signing who's ready to go straight into the first 11.

(Unless this is the Patterson replacement).
If we got Diallo that would be only one he signed for £30m I’m sure from Atalanta.
Never seen the lads but must be good surely :))

No

Its a legit question

What type of signing would you class as a standard squad booster? And what ones should be prioritised?

Like a first team starter?

Like, I would love us to sign Xavi Simons, but is he 1st team ready? Is that a squad booster?

Should we prioritise that type of player over a guy who definitely would make the starting 11?

It wasn't a trick question, I genuinely have an interest in what profile we should be looking for and what a squad booster standard is you know?

We signed a kid from the MLS and he’s started our last 2 league games

Xavi Simmons would immediately become first pick absolutely no question

As would Olsen

Manchester United under 23’s are pretty poor. They’ve got a couple to decent younger players; Hannibal (at AFCON), Alvaro Fernandez and an Iraqi but I don’t think any of them improve our first 11 - infact I’d be certain they don’t. Some of those lads get shipped to Salford on loan. Not up to Rangers for a title battle.

So did Ojo, Ejaria, Thompson (Warburton), Rossiter, Dodoo and a few others in recent years.
When people talk about us selling players for big fees. They mention Morelos, Kamara, Kent and Aribo.

3 of them were signed for modest fees, Kent we signed for big money after he proved himself on loan (I remember him being reasonably unheralded on arrival after a poor loan at Bristol.) All four were 23 or less when we signed them. All four were only experienced at a level much lower than Rangers.

Take all the players you mentioned in your post, add up their total cost to Rangers, it is still a drop in the ocean to the total cost to Rangers of Lundstram (if he sees out his contract), Roofe (who some people think isn't good enough.) maybe even Cedric Itten also.

If we were able to go an spend 5-6m on one player, I'm sure we would, and I'd be just as excited as any other bear. But we have done just fine identifying low cost players and it's foolish to suggest that we have to go out and spend big money to improve our 11 when we have some of the worlds most prestigious youth academies on our doorstep, good contacts into the top dutch academies and our own academy really stepping up within the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back