They are a better team than us

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of fans on threads in here and elsewhere don't believe that we are playing well this season.
I can see your point though about the better player scenario.
The best side winning the league would be correct if VAR was in operation up here.
Or if we could defend properly, and had more than one serious goal threat in the side.

They have a better keeper ours is the worst in the league
Hate to say it but 2022/23 season Hart is a better keeper than McGregor.
High profile goalkeeping errors by McGregor have cost us circa double figure points this season.
Whilst McGregor can still have the odd great game unfortunately he is even more likely to have a howler.

Last edited:
Did you miss McGregors' unbelievable saves from a) a one to one with one of the Japanese and b) from a certain goal from Abada???
Abada had a chance late when we were pushing forward.
Maeda had ge chance because Tav made an arse of controlling a long ball.
They rarely threatened us.

You're in denial if you don't think he's a good player. He'd stroll into our team.

Also, solely blaming defenders for their European record is stupid. The reason they get pumped in Europe is because you can't play the "all out attack" style Ange does and expect better teams to allow it. They get battered because they play gung ho.

Fucking hell man this sort of take is mental. He was largely the reason we conceded 2 in the first place.
I'm in denial because I dont agree with your opinion. Really? You rate him, fair enough but I dont. I think he is a bang average player who hasn't been challenged whatsoever this season in the league and especially by us in last couple of games.

He has been challenged in Europe though and has been made to look like the bang average player I believe he is. The stats show that but as it doesn't match your opinion you claim I am stupid. Very good.

I may not agree with your opinion but you are absolutely entitled to it and I certainly wouldn't say you were deluded or stupid. I really can't take you seriously if you have to resort to pathetic and childish name calling.

They are better in the positions that really matter - Their GK and 2 CBs are better than ours plus their front 3 is far more effective than ours - elsewhere on the pitch their isn't a huge amount between us either way.

1 positive I suppose is arguably their 2 best players in Jota and CCV are on loan with it already looking like Jota won't sign permanently and CCV probably playing himself into a premier league teams plans.

Not having this, Starfelt wouldn't get a game for us, and I'd take Helander + Goldson over any of their CHs.
Unfortunately McGregor has been the biggest problem this season. Glued to his line, you can see the uncertainty and panic that spreads thru our defense, when they expect the GK to come, and he doesn't.
I honestly think we'd still be on top of the league had we played McLaughlin this season.
He's a very good keeper, who commands the box, with much better distribution. He's probably the best, or 2nd best GK in the league, but we've had to watch a legend's form and confidence deteriorate over a season. I don't blame McGregor, the decision should have been made by consecutive managers.

The celtic players are on the same page as the manager. Our squad still seem to have no idea what GVB is after.

This is a fact.

Plus they have a captain who is in everyone’s face, including the ref. While keeping momentum and pressure in.

Unfortunately ours is the opposite, so timid and won’t stamp his authority anywhere.

While I’m on the subject, and I’ve seen this a few times now.
The ball doesn’t bounce for him or a pass goes wayward, he does this silly little hop in the air and let’s play pass him by, you’d never see their captain doing that.
Gets on my effing nerves.

The scum manager has a functioning game plan and they carry it to a T. We are just clueless this season.

How anyone could watch that game and conclude they are the better team is disturbing. Fact is weve got a liability in goals. Thats been the difference this season. Hart hasnt cost them points. Quite the opposite infact. Its deeply concerning that we have a 40yo man in goals.

They are better in the positions that really matter - Their GK and 2 CBs are better than ours plus their front 3 is far more effective than ours - elsewhere on the pitch their isn't a huge amount between us either way.

1 positive I suppose is arguably their 2 best players in Jota and CCV are on loan with it already looking like Jota won't sign permanently and CCV probably playing himself into a premier league teams plans.

It’s not the players, it’s all down to mentality.

Our players are technically better, you know they are.

But our game plan is missing, we don’t have one and we have backbones like worms.

How anyone could watch that game and conclude they are the better team is disturbing. Fact is weve got a liability in goals. Thats been the difference this season. Hart hasnt cost them points. Quite the opposite infact. Its deeply concerning that we have a 40yo man in goals.

Our keeper made three excellent saves, so I am afraid you’re talking rubbish.

But I will say, he is absolutely horrendous at coming for cross balls.

The best shot stopper in the country though.

He was. Hes not anymore and the stats back it up. He has one of the poorest shot save percentages in the league. He should have came for their 2nd and he should have held their first.

He was. Hes not anymore and the stats back it up. He has one of the poorest shot save percentages in the league. He should have came for their 2nd and he should have held their first.

I’d like to see the stats to accept that.

But still feel his habit of staying in his line for crosses lands us in trouble too often.

I’d like to see the stats to accept that.

But still feel his habit of staying in his line for crosses lands us in trouble too often.

Click the playing keeper tab. Then sort by save percentage. Hes 3rd worst in the league.

I absolutely love McGregor. Hes a legend. But this was a season too far. Theres no shame in that at 40, but unfortunately it has cost us

Unfortunately McGregor has been the biggest problem this season. Glued to his line, you can see the uncertainty and panic that spreads thru our defense, when they expect the GK to come, and he doesn't.
I honestly think we'd still be on top of the league had we played McLaughlin this season.
He's a very good keeper, who commands the box, with much better distribution. He's probably the best, or 2nd best GK in the league, but we've had to watch a legend's form and confidence deteriorate over a season. I don't blame McGregor, the decision should have been made by consecutive managers.
I don't think McGregor has been our biggest problem by any measurement, however I would agree that his weakness of not commanding the box has got worse over the season. I sit in the enclosure and watch the balls coming over from set plays and my heart sinks when I don't see him flying out for the ball. McGregor is up their with the best in the world when it comes to reaction saves but that is because his positioning is still to behold.

If McGregor does not do the decent thing and step aside, like he did with Scotland, for McLaughlin I would not be surprised if he agitated for a move away.

I thought they had slightly a better shape than us , But I honestly don’t think there was much in it
There wasn’t. They created one decent chance outside of the 2 that we gifted them.
Rangers were the better team on the day, outside of gifting them two goals. We need to sharpen up on defensive errors.

At times, he can be but look at the first goal yesterday. All he did was parry the ball right to Rogic for an easy goal. He has done this a few times this season, if you aren't going to hold the ball, you need to turn it round the post or push as far wide as possible. People really need to look at his performances this season with a bit more objectivity. There is more to a goal keeper than shot stopping and even then, that doesn't preclude other keepers from potentially making those saves. McCrorie kept a clean sheet against them earlier in the season!

I don't think they are a better team than Rangers.

The difference between winning and losing yesterday was on crutches in the shape of Alfredo Morelos. He absolutely destroys that defence and cancels out any physical advantage they had against Roofe.

There is also a clear case of different refereeing standards being applied. Refs far more lenient to them than they are to us. This is not an excuse, it is a fact.

I don't think they are great but yes they are streets ahead of us. My worry is the financial gap they have over us is growing and I have a feeling the fat Aussie will spend it wisely.

Looking g at the clips posted elsewhere of the clear penalty for hand ball & clear penalty for a jersey pull I don't believe they are tbh
It's fine margins within games that are costing us
Referees having a massive influence
Not sorting our goalkeeping situation
Missing Morelos in both games
Have all impacted us hugely
Not freshening the squad

In Europe for example we'd have had 2 penalties & they'd have been down to 10 men, that's a massive difference

But there are still self inflicted mistakes being made like GvB playing Roofe in a like for like role when replacing Motelos which didn't work at the Piggery & didn't work yesterday
That handball is never a penalty kick, and they were missing their best striker for both games Morelos missed. Kidding yourself on about the position the two teams are in doesn’t help matters.

In what way is he shite? He's absolutely strolled it in the league this season...the stats don't lie. They've conceded the least goals and yesterday he treated Roofe like a wee boy and took his lunch money off him repeatedly.
I think it’s incredible that even after that game yesterday the same people are continuing the post the same nonsense about how shite they are (well most are, a few are still in hiding). I get that it’s embarrassing when you aggressively shout down other supporters concerns by telling everyone their team, manager, J-League signings etc are all shite, only for it to come back and bite them on the arse, but it’s 10 times more embarrassing to double down on that stance after they’ve come to Ibrox and sewn up the league title with Joe Hart having barely made a save.

Better side. ? Ha-ha-ha !

Yeah, that's why they'll be watching us play Braga.
Don’t know why you’re guffawing, at the seasons end you’re going to tell us a team with a domestic double and possible treble (as well as beating us home and away) aren’t as good as a side who’ve once again failed to deliver when it mattered. Except the “Europa League Knockout Rounds” trophy of course. Sort of delusion they pride themselves on, although I must admit it’s a lot less funny when it’s coming from our own support.

Don’t know why you’re guffawing, at the seasons end you’re going to tell us a team with a domestic double and possible treble (as well as beating us home and away) aren’t as good as a side who’ve once again failed to deliver when it mattered. Except the “Europa League Knockout Rounds” trophy of course. Sort of delusion they pride themselves on, although I must admit it’s a lot less funny when it’s coming from our own support.

Intimidated and cheating refs handing them domestic trophies means nothing in football terms. They are found out every season in Europe when they don't have refs in their pocket. Losing 1-12 to PSG says it all.

Intimidated and cheating refs handing them domestic trophies means nothing in football terms. They are found out every season in Europe when they don't have refs in their pocket. Losing 1-12 to PSG says it all.
If convincing yourself that it’s all down to a big conspiracy and corruption makes you feel better than have at it. Im not saying it’s a non factor by the way, but thats just one factor, us having no bottle whatsoever is a very significant factor. Less expectation is also why we do well in Europe (Ryan Kent, 2019).

2011 called.

We are favourites to go through to a Europa league semi final.
& what still not win anything & to be blunt we won’t win the Europa League it's been a good run granted but domestically winning things is a must at our club we can't allow them to win trophy after trophy we have to start dominating again , home form over Europe every time .

Don't know if they are the better team as we seem to be the victims of our own downfall far too often.

M cGregor is the least of our problems,we are slow, predicable, and do not shoot from outside the box, and game style is the same no matter who we play,other than that we are OK.

When you can outspend every opponent you have by 10's of millions, you should be embarrassed if you are not the best team tbh.

But we need to find a way of addressing the gulf in what we can both spend on players somehow. Which wont be easy.

It's strange to work out as it's hard for us as supporters to admit too.
I've asked a few neutrals I know there view and interestingly they say they would back them to win in the next 2 games against us rather than us, they are quicker, have more movement are more dangerous and don't see them making as many clangers at the back than us. However just as interesting is they would never invisage them ever beating Dortmund or even Braga while they think we have every chance to win?.

Last edited:
I live down in Cheshire and it always helps to listen to English mates with no dog in the fight who pretty much only watch the game becos they have a mate who supports Rangers.

General view was we battered them all through the second half, should have won, shouldn't have taken Ramsey off, even bang average big centre backs can deal with crosses, first goal showed what we should do (cut backs), why didn't we just get back in their faces after the equaliser, they were hungrier, their keeper made no errors, only the guy with the mask would make your team, and maybe Rogic, oh yes, 3 penalty shouts, 3 missed yellows in first half (that greatly affect player behaviour), oh, Jack was lucky not to go off for assaulting the guy on the ground (I didn't see that)

This is a fact.

Plus they have a captain who is in everyone’s face, including the ref. While keeping momentum and pressure in.

Unfortunately ours is the opposite, so timid and won’t stamp his authority anywhere.

While I’m on the subject, and I’ve seen this a few times now.
The ball doesn’t bounce for him or a pass goes wayward, he does this silly little hop in the air and let’s play pass him by, you’d never see their captain doing that.
Gets on my effing nerves.

The scum manager has a functioning game plan and they carry it to a T. We are just clueless this season.

spot on

they are more of a team than us and all put in a shift, aribo is lazy and doesn’t. Our keeper doesn’t command his box and is a nightmare on crosses. roofe is too weak and they work harder than us.

I don’t think they see us a real long term threat,We might occasionally give them a fright like last season but a bit of investment and they’re on the verge of another treble,
We’re certainly at a level above the likes of Dolly,Hertz,Dabs and the Hivs but lagging behind the fhilth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back