What was your lowest point on "The Journey" back up the Leagues

A very odd one for me but this was a high point.

At hampden in the cup against the scum. They went 2 nil up.

Everyone in the rangers end did the bouncy and the scum sat in silence. A very high point despite losing.

That was a wee moment that reassured me we will be back and we wont give up

It’s weird but there was a part of me that enjoyed the lower divisions. Playing against different sides and not having all the same boring, negative crap associated with the SPL. It’s just a pity we didn’t have decent people in charge at the time.

There was a lot worse moments im sure but the one that sticks with me most was the Scottish Cup Final in 2016 against Hibs. Up there in the top 4 or 5 worst feelings Iv ever felt as a football fan. Warburtons was lucky not to be sacked off the back of that in my opinion, the trouble after the game took a lot of heat off of him in my opinion as he didn’t get the scrutiny or criticism he deserved.

I remember also a midweek game in February or March up at Stirling Albion in League 2 that we drew 1-1. The coldest Iv ever been in my life and the football was absolutely shocking.

The Ramsdens Cup Final defeat didn’t register with me as badly, I was away down in Liverpool that weekend and couldn’t find a tv showing the game but remember being really shocked following the live updates on the bbc website.

The Motherwell game in the playoffs was also a sore one to take but in hindsight probably a blessing in disguise. We were nowhere near ready to go up at that point and we’d have probably finished in the bottom six. We got another year to sort ourselves out a bit, watched some great football under Warburtons and got Tav in.

On the positive side, I’ll never forget the day where Dave King got hold of the shares which gave him control. I remember being in work and it wasn’t particularly busy so me and one of my mates were able to follow the thread on here as it developed.

Rangers v Cowdenbeath in December 2014, my Mrs had lost a baby a few days before, she was home and things were a bit all over shop, I had to get out the house so decided to go to Ibrox, freezing cold and pissin of rain, I remember thinking to myself what on earth am I doing here.

One of the lowest points of my life and it coincided with Rangers playing the might of Cowdenbeath.

Surprised the Hibs cup final isn't mentioned more. One of the hardest losses to accept that one, felt like it ruined what was a good season in the league with us getting promoted.

The attacks on our players which Police and government turned a blind eye to really hacked me off. Plus they had to end there 100 year + hoodoo against us ffs.

Motherwell playoff was atrocious too.
This one for me.

It’s weird but there was a part of me that enjoyed the lower divisions. Playing against different sides and not having all the same boring, negative crap associated with the SPL. It’s just a pity we didn’t have decent people in charge at the time.

I reckon I was bored of it after the first round of 9 games in the third division. The novelty had worn off and there was a realisation we’d have to watch us against shite for the next 3 years at least

As much as those times were absolutely bleak, 55 really was like a soothing balm that healed it all. The pain of all the various humiliations and nearly losing the club pretty much evaporated for me the day we sealed the championship again.

Losing 4-0 to Hibs was humiliating, we were shocking that day and to make matters worse my best m8 (no longer btw) was a Hibee.
Kenny McDowall looking like he wanted to burst into tears in the technical area and Ian Black desperately trying to get himself sent off before McDowall eventually subbed the wee coward.

God there is a few.

ICT playing us off the park in a 3-0 cup win the week before they beat Barcelona 2-1 was the point at which the gap between the teams seemed insurmountable.

Seeing Annans ground for the 1st time.
Seeing Annans ground for the 2nd time.

Playing Alloa 800 times in 4 years, and never seeming to win.

The Raith Cup final; being in Ibrox hospitality and having beer moved from our room to the players infamous party.

I think the lowest was the Hibs game at Easter Road Chistmas 2014. McDowell was in charge for the 1st time. 4-0.
Probably the one and only game ever watching Rangers that I knew, not suspected or feared but KNEW that when we conceded the opener that there was no way back, we were beat.

Losing to Stirling Albion when their manager wasn't even there as he was getting married.
We were paying the best part of £750000 a year to our manager for that.
Love Ally but days like that were tarnishing his reputation with a lot of fans

Whilst there has been worse results and moments which you chaps have covered. My worst point, and to my shame the only single time in my life when I considered if it was really all worth it (following Rangers, re-read and it appeared a bit morbid) was January 2013. Montrose at home, awful game but we took the lead via own goal before half time. Convinced myself that would kick start us in the second, but nope we were even worse and whilst I was sat in the Broomloan front right behind the goal I watched them score an absolute peach in the 89th minute and it finished 1-1.

I've felt a full range of emotions watching goals scored for and against us, but I genuinely felt nothing watching that go in. Just walked straight out and the 4 of us that were there never said a word to each other. Of course by the time I got home I was back to normal, but I'm glad I quickly got rid of those thoughts, I'll take the moments of 55 and Seville to my grave.

Last edited:
Not any game or result for me but the vice like grip the spivs had on us, we were on a downward spiral it was a sense of hopelessness until the three bears came on the scene, those were my darkest days.

There was quite a few,sadly.
Awful cup tie at home drawing 1-1 with Albion Rovers.
0-0 away at Cowdenbeath as mentioned above,just about left you speechless.
Ramsdens Final v Raith,brilliant support that day but utterly dreadful performance.
Losing 3-2 away at Alloa in the challenge cup after being up two up with less than 20 minutes left,felt like greeting walking out of the ground,everyone was just stunned.
:(
That Alloa game felt like a Torbett had took us over on FM and made us as bad as possible.

A horrible night.

That 3-2 Scottish Cup final defeat with those ‘over exuberant’ rancid junkie t.aigs, running amok attacking our players after the whistle went was one of the low points for sure. Petrie trying to justify his clubs ‘fans’ summed up all that’s wrong with the Scottish game and the amount of haters there are, they all came out the woodwork during our ‘journey’ I despise them all. Had many a scrap with friends who are no longer and are dead to me. Lost a job due to jettisoning a rabid puddle drinking ex-boss through a meeting room partition wall when he took things too far. Well worth it ! Hope his limp is with him for life…. cnut !!

Never forgive, never forget and fcuk the SFA.

Last edited:
The whole of the 2014/15 season. Alloa being the nadir. Hibs at Easter Road was a disgrace too.

Raith in Ramsdens was utterly horrible.

I’ve put a lot of those memories out of my head, but one that sticks in my mind where I was really getting fed up was the 4-0 pumping off hibs. The first time I couldn’t watch us till full time on a TV game, I remember the walk back to my aunties place from the pub and inside my head was just empty.

It doesn't get much of a mention, but the bizarre attitude of quite a number of Bears and their "Bring them on!! No Surrender" towards the three ring circus of the actual punishment. "We'll show them". No we won't, this will be terrible for 3 years (ultimately a minimum of 4 and maybe 6).

The Ramsdan cup loss was brutal, but the post match partying was the final nail for me. I see somebody mentioned the game may have "tarnished Ally's reputation". That's the most polite way of saying he was a managing disaster that I've heard.

If we never played Alloa and their shitey plastic pitch again, it would be too soon.

On a very personal level, it was securing tickets for the players lounge one game, and then getting beaten at home by Annan. And the only player I saw was a very young Barrie McKay.
The play off defeat to Motherwell is up there, the wee bit of hope generated by the semi final win followed by that absolute capitulation.
The above sentence, but about the 2016 Cup Final.
Playing abysmally against Hearts in the first game of the season in the Championship, Nicky Law getting laughed at by the whole stadium upon getting named sponsors man of the match, followed by him getting an equaliser, followed by Hearts going up the park and Sow getting the winner.

Ian Black.

The Ramsdens Cup final 2014 at Easter Road.

Humiliating!!

This is up there. I remember getting on the train at Waverley after the game and couldn’t speak to any of the guys I was that f*cked off with it all. A young boy piped up that he thought it wasn’t that bad, I thought he was going to get lynched before we got to Haymarket :)

The Newcastle 5 sent to save our season. Including someone with hepatitis, another with a long term injury, and a Republican from the Bogside.

I more or less can't remember us in the lower leagues. I Know that sounds crazy but I suppose I blocked it out as a kind of coping mechanism. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned Ian Black. I'd completely and utterly forgotten all about him.

Too many to name tbh.

The whole experience was utterly awful and I had many arguments with posters on here kidding themselves on that the journey was all happy and smiles whilst that lot racked up trophy after trophy and had free reign to CL money.

Every away game was a slog. The only semi decent part was a piss up and often left games at HT to head to the pub it was that bad.

I’ve managed to put a lot of the experiences to the back of my mind and blank a lot of it out thankfully.

Plenty of examples of the lowest point which is subjective and we all have a valid opinion

For me it has to be the cup final v Raith Rovers but not only because we lost, the fact that the team had a party at Ibrox and Ally led a karaoke will forever haunt me

Losing 2-1 at home too Peterhead, I remember thinking can I actually watch a whole season like this

The entire 14/15 season.

Horrendous off the park for most of it.

Not much better on it with a bunch of players who thought they just had to turn up and coast for 40 odd games.

Getting relegated to the third division. I remember where I was when I heard it. Everything after that was on the way back and there were going to be ups and downs. But for me Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Hearts, Hibs, Inverness, Motherwell, St. Johnstone, and St. Mirren voted us down and crossed a line.

Last edited:
Signing over the hill players at the beginning when we all knew we could really build something special using young players, bit us big time when we got back up and took longer to get a foot hold.

The Ramsdens cup final v Raith. To say things were heated leaving the game was an understatement. We were utterly pathetic and that was the day that even the most stubborn of McCoist’s fans snapped.

Losing at home to Annan Athletic ranks pretty high, also.
Nope. I didn’t. Had a right fair inkling what was going on.

The Motherwell play offs. After beating Hibs, We looked in a great position and it hadn’t even entered my mind in 2012 that we’d spent more than three years out of the top flight.

Think it was end of the 2012/13 season, I was seriously considering giving up the season ticket. Stuck with it and those three seasons were a prison sentence for how dull it was.

Really don’t think we’re given enough credit as a fanbase for coming through all that. The Tims have had the easiest job in the world the past ten years. The suffering makes the good times more enjoyable. They’ll never ever have a title win which will mean as much as 55 did to us.

The last home game of the season we won Division 2.

We'd just lost Sandy Jardine and I knew there wasn't a hope in hell I'd set foot in Ibrox the next season.

I can't imagine feeling lower on a day Rangers are presented with a trophy.
Maybe if I owned a horse?

Hibs 4.0 under Mcdowell, i broke my heart that night.i honestly thought we would never get back to the top.

Last edited:
Probably the Scottish cup final against hibs. Was in my early 20’s at time and really struggled to disconnect football from my every day life, I remember to this day just staring at the sky out my living room window for a good 10 mins in silence.

This was obviously replaced with feeling in Seville, that made the above encounter feel like Christmas.

Doing what Dave King asked and my pals and so cancelled ou season tickets to help force regime change. Did it with a heavy heart. Watched games on tv instead that season but it wasn't the same but needs must at the time.
We did this too. Unfortunately my dad ended up not returning, just fell away from the habit of going. I got my season ticket back the second King was in the door and been going since but I’m quite angry quite often about losing four seats together with my family who still go scattered all over the stadium. Annoys me nearly every game to this day.

Needs must at the time and I’m glad we done something though.

It’s all relative.. hated all that time but hate every first half we play right now as much ! Lol will always have something am not happy about

Striking Albion was the worst for me, I’m sure they were bottom of the league structure at the time, it was humiliating - absolutely horrific.

Back