Where are the biggest Rangers/Celtic areas in Glasgow/Scotland?

Right next to Linn Park golf course, which is now sadly closed.
Simshill was always seen as a very affluent area of Glasgow southside. It's been known as Timshill for several years now due to the influx. The Smiddy pub was once a great drinking place and hub of the community. Now sadly infested with the rats.
I was brought up in Croftfoot in the 60s & 70s. It was about 90% us in those days, don't know what it's like now.
Story was the housebuilders wouldn't sell land to the RCs to build a chapel, and when they built one on the edge of Simshill the Chapel was giving loans to buy a Simshill house. Simshill primary was expanded in the 60s, as our school (Croftfoot) had a couple of classrooms used for the decanted Simshill classes. Simshill school is long gone and what was King's Park Secondary's hockey pitches has had St Fillans built and rebuilt on them since then. Changed days.

I was brought up in Croftfoot in the 60s & 70s. It was about 90% us in those days, don't know what it's like now.
Story was the housebuilders wouldn't sell land to the RCs to build a chapel, and when they built one on the edge of Simshill the Chapel was giving loans to buy a Simshill house. Simshill primary was expanded in the 60s, as our school (Croftfoot) had a couple of classrooms used for the decanted Simshill classes. Simshill school is long gone and what was King's Park Secondary's hockey pitches has had St Fillans built and rebuilt on them since then. Changed days.
They have 2 RC primary schools within a 2 minute walk of each other in Simshill. Possibly it was an RC school they could not build in Croftfoot?

I would say Stevenston is staunch when I was younger we had a very big LOL 65
Still have the Cross Keys RSC which is one of the biggest in Scotland not bad for a 9k town.
Now we are closing two Churches leaving only one open with Saltcoats and Ardrossan also closing Churches.

Never mind they’re are plans to turn Ardrossans Church to a Mosque

Where would the ulster scots/ scots/ prods be situated in the USA.
Came into ports like Philadelphia and New Jersey. Those States and also New York have many place names like East and West Orange, Ulster County, Londonderry etc
then they moved on down the Appalachian Mountain country. Virginias, Carolinas, down into Tennessee and North Florida. The “Florida Cracker” was a term for some of them, not much money but stubborn hard working, kinship and could answer back, lots of “crack” a term still used in some of those places for white folk.
They then drifted West, place like Oklahoma, Kansas, North Texas and eventually to California.
Amazing story and influence, became the Americans. When asked if they were Irish upon landing they would strongly say they were Scottish Irish. Scots that lived in Ireland.
Brought the whisky, the fighting spirit and the music from the mountains.
Many Americans that say the have Irish in them don’t even know its the Scots Irish they are. Presbyterian
Some good stuff online about the Scots Irish (Ulster Scots)

Came into ports like Philadelphia and New Jersey. Those States and also New York have many place names like East and West Orange, Ulster County, Londonderry etc
then they moved on down the Appalachian Mountain country. Virginias, Carolinas, down into Tennessee and North Florida. The “Florida Cracker” was a term for some of them, not much money but stubborn hard working, kinship and could answer back, lots of “crack” a term still used in some of those places for white folk.
They then drifted West, place like Oklahoma, Kansas, North Texas and eventually to California.
Amazing story and influence, became the Americans. When asked if they were Irish upon landing they would strongly say they were Scottish Irish. Scots that lived in Ireland.
Many Americans that say the have Irish in them don’t even know its the Scots Irish they are. Presbyterian

Most " Irish Americans " are also Protestant.

I worked with a couple of Americans who claimed to be of Irish descent
They traced their family ancestry back to boats that left from Ireland & no further & assumed they must be Irish in origin

When I pointed out that many nationalities used an Irish sailing across the Atlantic - they were surprised
One of them said well my family are from Kilbirnie & insisted that was in Ireland - till I showed him a map

The other eventually found out his family ancestors were from Cumbria

Where I'm from, it's pure Ceptic....it's something we didn't check when we moved here lol....the bus picks up supporters right outside our house....turn the rangers songs up..... :cool:

The area Gartcosh is situated in was largely owned by 2 sisters who sold land to developers on the grounds that no RC chapel, pub or bookies be built.

No idea how many RC’s actually live there.

Ayr has become very Rangers/celtic area. They've made acouple of pubs in the town there's. It always used to be staunch Rangers but the others seem to be breeding more down here.

Last edited:
The area Gartcosh is situated in was largely owned by 2 sisters who sold land to developers on the grounds that no RC chapel, pub or bookies be built.

No idea how many RC’s actually live there.
Same as Whiteinch Connell who owned the shipyard had the same conditions , however the RCs got around it eventually and got their chapel built on Dumbarton Rd.

Originally from Ayr which was always majority rangers, a few more yahoos than there used to be but all the villages etc and other towns in Ayrshire all rangers heavy

Now in Stirling which seems to be split maybe more them but all the surrounding villages like Fallin etc rangers heavy and clackmananshire all majority rangers

I moved to Kinross just over a year ago and didn't realise how staunch it is. Many RFC number plates, RFC crest in gates and plenty of Union flags. Honestly only ever saw one kid wearing their rag. A wonderful wee place to live.

Back