Who has been the best footballer you have witnessed playing at Ibrox?

Is 1981 the year of your birth?

If so, then you weren't even a swimmer in your daddy's sack when he started for us and were 8 years old when he left.

The guy was sheer class. Granted I'm biased as he was my idol when I was a teenage boy but he was absolutely majestic.

All wingers are inconsistent but when this guy was on his game he was World Class. Worth the entry fee alone to watch him turn guys inside out. I won't hear a bad word about Coop lol
Being brought up the way I was, I got to see plenty of Davie Cooper, albeit at an age that I maybe wouldn't have appreciated everything that he contributed in a match. So you might have a bit of a point there. However, from what I have seen, I don't think he's rivalling Laudrup as the best I've seen play for us. Against us, I'd probably say Riquelme, as he was a joy to watch.

For Rangers it's a difficult toss up between Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist and Baxter.
For opposition there are literally hundreds of World Class players that have played at Ibrox but the one's who's performances here (rather than their reputations) that really stood out for me was Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Klaus Augenthaler and Gianluca Vialli.
As I said, there have been many marvellous players to adorn our pitch over the years but the performances these players produced on the night were just spectacular!

Outwith rangers players... any of the liverpool team at the opening of the govan stand liam brady ( i know) inter milan karl heinz ( inter) vasily rats (dynamo kiev) (prosinesky) red star.. i hate roy keane but thought he gave a master class when we played thrm in the champions league

Best individual performance that springs to mind was Del Peiro for juventus I was quite young at the time but just remember being amazed how good her was

If only the younger guys in here had been lucky enough to have seen the master.
BAXTER by a mile, rain hail or snow outstanding, what memories I have of the great man.

Mendieta.
Just made us look so ordinary

Is anybody going to cop to being the throbber that used to sign off every single post on here
“Gaizka”?

Gazza for me Rangers player, Del Piero for this performance that night in the champions league when Juve blew us away.

Abede Pele when we played Marseille was exceptional, Juan Román Riquelme was grace under pressure on the ball when we played Villareal.

We couldn't get past Lilian Thuram when he played for Parma absolutely had everything, truly world-class. Then he got injured and we won giruy Thuram. :p

I fell in man love with Luca Vialli at that time as well. LOL

It was the first time I’d seen him in the flesh. The tireless running he did for Juve that night to create space for others was something I’ll never forget. And he was a terrific finisher as well.

The complete modern forward. Love that guy.
Remember at the time because of his connection with the magnificent bastard rumours about coming to Ibrox obviously no foundation to rumour . Think Juventus beat us 2-0 that night and Del Piero was amazing remember one time with Cleland spun him so much he's probably still dizzy

On the back of the if you could relive a game thread, it got me thinking about the best football player or players who have played at Ibrox and not just for Rangers. There are an abundance of players but I'm going to say Gascoigne for sheer natural talent.

Mendieta was superb for Valencia in a game against us at Ibrox. Also Juan Roman Riquelme stands out for me.

Riquelme.

The definition of class, just played at his own pace, controlled everything and made it look effortless in the process. Touch, skill, vision, technique... Unbelievable player.

Also, Kaka's half hour cameo for Milan when he came on and utterly mollywhopped us would be up there.

That was a wonderful Valencia team.
(The Aberdeen of Spain,copyright clueless Scottish press).
WATP
Their defence in that era was tighter than a ducks arse

Canizares
Angloma Pellegrino Ayala Carboni

Although I'm sure Bjorklund started against us for them.

One of the most complete sides we've ever faced in the CL.

There’s no doubt whatsoever it was Messi, in terms of the overall greatness of the players career, but he was very average on the night.

In terms of their actual performance on the night then probably Mendieta for me

That Valencia side we faced was truly outstanding, as were the Juve side who whipped us twice.

“Aberdeen of Spain”. I’d forgotten that cracker. Utterly clueless doesn’t even begin to adequately describe the epic nature of the Scottish mhedia fail.

Laurie Cunningham, unfortunately he never lived long enough to fulfil his potential.
Hagi, Del Piero, Riquelme, Beckenbauer, Rossi, Zoff, Gerd Muller are among those world class players it's been my good fortune to see.
For Rangers it's every player mentioned so far

Best Player - Lionel Messi
Best Performance - Karim Benzema
Best Ranger - Michael Mols

I dream of being on a stage where these sorts of players grace the Ibrox turf again.

Do people say Cooper for sentimental reasons?
He was a great player, but not in the same class as Laudrup surely? I guess it's all about opinions.

Have you seen Cooper's Drybrough cup final goal against Celtic?
I know that wasn't scored at Ibrox, but few players in the world could have done that.

The best team. Some are saying Valencia.
However the Juventus team that gubbed us 4-0, I think 8-1 on agg must be up there as the best I’ve witnessed.
They were applauded on numerous occasions not just the final whistle.

Back