The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget isn’t just about transfer fees. We’re barely lost anybody from last years squad, only Balogun who played with any regularity, and Itten, Ramsey and Diallo who barely featured. We’ve signed Souttar and have a few loanees currently back with the squad as well as youngsters like Lowry expected to take some of those minutes we’ve lost.
I’d be disappointed if we don’t sign a couple of decent players, but Ross Wilson has more to his job than signings, there’s contract renewals, selling players etc that all must be balanced too. We can’t really afford to just keep increasing the wage bill.

They won the league last year with those players. People seem to just be ignoring this fact.

Jota as much as it pains me to say is a very good bit of business from them.
I think player for player we are better however they showed a level of consistency last season that took them over the line. We need to try and match that this with much the same squad as it stands so there’s a doubt there.

People saying they’ve stood still is just plain daft.

They’ve spent £20m before pre season has even started.

They will win the league most years if they keep outspending us by this much and we just look deluded if the best retort we have is you’ve stood still.
The bulk of that cash is on players who were already there.

No idea about the others, except Seigrist, but Carter Vickers and Jota don't improve anything. It's not any different to us extending Goldson's stay but with a shitload of a cash outlay for them

If Ross Wilson has another poor window he deserves the sack. The only good signing we've made since 2020 wasn't even his.

Mental how slow everything seems to take with Wilson compared with when Allen was in the job as well.
I think personally he has had it tough.
If Morelos doesnt get injured and plays the final 1. We might have won 2. He would have an easier job cashing in on him and giving us funds for recruitment

Should he have brought in a striker in January? In hindsight yes but at the time I didnt think it was a priority. He should be judged solely on getting a RW in this window and sorting out the contract situations with our stars. To see them run down a contract rather than sold to give the club a profit is unthinkable

Ofoborh
Simpson
Wright
Sakala
Bacuna
Lundstram
Sands
Zukowski
Diallo
Ramsey

A shocking list when you lay it out. Ross Wilson is an absolute wee guy.
That list cost a collective £500k in transfer fees.

Made a profit on Bacuna.

Lundstram been a good signing, Sakala has shown he can be useful but jury still out, and I imagine took a bit of convincing to come here considering the offers he had.

What about

McLaughlin
Balogun
Bassey
Hagi
Roofe

Who all proved to be good signings.

I think personally he has had it tough.
If Morelos doesnt get injured and plays the final 1. We might have won 2. He would have an easier job cashing in on him and giving us funds for recruitment

Should he have brought in a striker in January? In hindsight yes but at the time I didnt think it was a priority. He should be judged solely on getting a RW in this window and sorting out the contract situations with our stars. To see them run down a contract rather than sold to give the club a profit is unthinkable

Only 1 player he's signed in the past 3 windows played any part in that success though. This is the window for me, if the trend continues he should be out the door.

I think player for player we are better however they showed a level of consistency last season that took them over the line. We need to try and match that this with much the same squad as it stands so there’s a doubt there.

People saying they’ve stood still is just plain daft.
I do too we reached a europa league final whilst they got their arse handed to them in 3 diff competitions.

McGregor was at fault for a a fair few of our goals last season but their wingers jota and Abada reached double figures in both goals and assists.

It’s something we need addressing from our front 3.

And how does that matter?

We were delighted when we spent £7m on Kent which is similar to how they are reacting to Jota and let's be honest he's a very good player.

They also had the best defence in the league last season and a big part of that was Carter-Vickers. What did they spend to get him, £5m or £6m? It's another good bit of business for them which gives them stability at the back which is something they've been missing up until last season.

They've splashed the cash on an Argentinian left back which I know nothing about.

What have we done? Brought in a free transfer who will likely be injured for most of the season.

Gio said he wanted our business done early but it looks like our board are dragging their heels.

If Ross Wilson has another poor window he deserves the sack. The only good signing we've made since 2020 wasn't even his.

Mental how slow everything seems to take with Wilson compared with when Allen was in the job as well.
Do you understand that Wilson can only deal with the hand he's got? If the board don't give him money, how can he recruit? Allen had funds to spend on players, it looks like Wilson doesn't.
Also, you can't sell players if they don't want to go, or make them sign a contract extension. Looks as if most players are running their contracts down.

It’s apparent that relations are really good within the club.

We’re not going to suddenly begin issuing ultimatums in such stark terms.

Wilson’s ‘relaxed’ comment has likely been overblown. All he was probably referring to was the relations between club, player & agent, meaning discussions were always ongoing and everyone was upfront.

The problem with that ultimatum is if we don’t manage to sell the player.
Players and agents talk, imagine we tried to sign a player whose agent represents someone else we've just forced out the door? It simply isn't how it works especially when we rely on players at a certain level.

Budget isn’t just about transfer fees. We’re barely lost anybody from last years squad, only Balogun who played with any regularity, and Itten, Ramsey and Diallo who barely featured. We’ve signed Souttar and have a few loanees currently back with the squad as well as youngsters like Lowry expected to take some of those minutes we’ve lost.
I’d be disappointed if we don’t sign a couple of decent players, but Ross Wilson has more to his job than signings, there’s contract renewals, selling players etc that all must be balanced too. We can’t really afford to just keep increasing the wage bill.

Yes to be fair to him we can’t forget his clear track record of getting contract renewals over the line and ensuring we realise the value of our assets when they are at their peak if we can’t agree those deals.

Oh wait…

And how does that matter?

We were delighted when we spent £7m on Kent which is similar to how they are reacting to Jota and let's be honest he's a very good player.

They also had the best defence in the league last season and a big part of that was Carter-Vickers. What did they spend to get him, £5m or £6m? It's another good bit of business for them which gives them stability at the back which is something they've been missing up until last season.

They've splashed the cash on an Argentinian left back which I know nothing about.

What have we done? Brought in a free transfer who will likely be injured for most of the season.

Gio said he wanted our business done early but it looks like our board are dragging their heels.
It matters because the majority of the cash is on players who are not going to make them better. Jota and Carter Vickers are ready there. They are not new signings.

We have all but signed Colak and I believe others are close to completion - but only time will tell with that

Yeah loan deals even loan to buy deals would be decent options though
Yep

Sima is probably the most gettable.. was one of Slavia’s best players. Brighton buying and loaning him to Stoke was a really weird move though.

Made a profit on Bacuna.

Lundstram been a good signing, Sakala has shown he can be useful but jury still out, and I imagine took a bit of convincing to come here considering the offers he had.

What about

McLaughlin
Balogun
Bassey
Hagi
Roofe

Don't bother. Nateman is the virgin's virgin.

It matters because the majority of the cash is on players who are not going to make them better. Jota and Carter Vickers are ready there. They are not new signings.

We have all but signed Colak and I believe others are close to completion - but only time will tell with that
Well they won the league last season and it isn't making them any worse. Also with them playing regularly it will improve them as players which improves their team.

Let's not pretend that they aren't good signings for them.

Any hints as to who Craigie?

Worst case scenario we’re seeded in the Europa group stages.
Best case scenario we get in the champions league and get 3 rd in the group.
We are still skint after the Europa, plus SG/ Patersons money so needs to be champions league imo

Made a profit on Bacuna.

What about

McLaughlin
Balogun
Bassey
Hagi
Roofe

Ssshhhh that doesn't fit the narrative.

It's hard to tell how good a job Wilson is doing. He's had very little money to work with and we've had to take a lot of punts on cheap, free and loan players. I think his only failure when spending more than a nominal fee is Itten. Not exactly the worst hit rate

Do young players not improve year on year? We built up to 55 with a number of boys that improved to that point. They have 2 that are bedded in won a title so been over that line and in all probability will be better than last season. Keep telling yourself they won't if it makes you feel better.
Do our players also not improve? You seem to be of the notion that theirs do while ours don't.

We've got a whole squad that are bedded in and won a title, but that doesn't seem to count for you.

I don't believe we are sitting doing nothing in the transfer market, for all we know behind the scenes we could be negotiating with our top players to sign longer contracts and this takes the risk away from buying players and hoping that they can take the pressure of winning every game they play. I would rather see Morelos/Aribo here for another 3 years than hoping their replacements can handle the expectations of our club. If they don't want to extend then we know where strengthening is required and who we move on.

Yes to be fair to him we can’t forget his clear track record of getting contract renewals over the line and ensuring we realise the value of our assets when they are at their peak if we can’t agree those deals.

Oh wait…
I’m not saying he’s doing an amazing job, but we have got Goldson tied down which nobody expected. That has saved us one key signing.
I’m just saying, we aren’t realistically spending money until we have a plan to reduce the current squad. Not because we don’t have money for transfers, but because we can’t just keep adding to the wage bill.

Ssshhhh that doesn't fit the narrative.

It's hard to tell how good a job Wilson is doing. He's had very little money to work with and we've had to take a lot of punts on cheap, free and loan players. I think his only failure when spending more than a nominal fee is Itten. Not exactly the worst hit rate
Pretty much how I feel, to be honest.

At risk of derailing the thread.

Other successes include negotiating a 33% decrease in the Hagi fee, getting rid of Grezda, Hastie etc. Selling Patterson, and getting Goldson, Lowry & King extended. The older academy groups have came on as well

The only massive fail has been Itten, and of course the not ideal contract situations of Aribo, Kent & Morelos, but I’m not overly stressed about them yet.

So paying £12 to hold on to 2 players that helped them win the title last year does not show intent?..

I don't care how much they paid to be honest, they have signed one player that could start that is different from last season and so have we.

I don't think they have a better squad than us as things stand, you might , I don't know, but despite them winning the league I don't think they are better than us.

No idea about the others, except Seigrist, but Carter Vickers and Jota don't improve anything. It's not any different to us extending Goldson's stay but with a shitload of a cash outlay for them
They now own their two biggest assets, that’s a huge development.

To say they’ve stood still while spending £20m before pre-season has started is utterly delusional.

Who says we’re skint??
Ok, wrong wording.
Not as flush as we should be.
Money was made last season but check out the books for the past few years and they will need balanced or some loans called in.
And every club suffered covid losses.
Its just facts mate.

I don't care how much they paid to be honest, they have signed one player that could start that is different from last season and so have we.

I don't think they have a better squad than us as things stand, you might , I don't know, but despite them winning the league I don't think they are better than us.

I think they have a better squad for domestic games. It's the makeup of our squad we need to improve. More goals in the forward areas, something different in midfield and a more steady defence & GK would give us the edge over them.

Hopefully a shift to McLaughlin as our #1 and the signing of John Souttar is enough to shore us up defensively. Colak would be a good start to adding goals but a quality right sided attacker is the key component we're missing.

There’s absolutely no way we are skint, given the income we took in last season.

The only question would be, have we repaid some of loans from investors and that would mean our transfer budget was modest.

If we have went on that run last season and the prize money etc coupled with us finally trading a player (bit part) for big money and we haven’t turned a good profit then explanations would need to be given.

Hopefully we’ve not burst the bank on wages.

I still think we’ll add the right sided forward we need and he’ll get us the 15 goals we need from that position. Alfie whether he signs or not will have his best season yet for us, ditto with Kent.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I feel like you would maintain that opinion regardless of almost any incomings and outgoings across the two clubs in any window.

Ofoborh
Simpson
Wright
Sakala
Bacuna
Lundstram
Sands
Zukowski
Diallo
Ramsey

A shocking list when you lay it out. Ross Wilson is an absolute wee guy.
Wilson’s remit last season, and this has been: spend no money and improve the team. Just out of interest, who would you be signing, for free, that would improve the team? Remember, this is a squad costing around 15 million to build that got to a European final. Our recruitment is regarded by many as the best around. We will not be making big signings until me make more player sales. We’re in the Bosman market. That comes with risk. Man United paid 80 million for McGuire and Chelsea crazy money for Lakaku and those signings didn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back