Match Thread Blackpool v Rangers - Match Thread

Katic just chucking himself into that. Mental decision.
Look the goal was coming as we started the usual late game of pissing about at the back ,goalie to one side ,one side to goalie it was boring and just encouraged the other team to come forward,this type of late play cost us points last season in the league and by the looks of things it could do again,we should be like the scum ,no pissing about at the back and and attack as much as possible,I hate them but last season they went 20 odd games undefeated by fast attacking football,we are better man for man than them but these slack passages of play near the end of games need to be cut out

Thought Tom's commentary was fine today, apart from the usual "going through the gears" line he always uses.
Thought Katic did fine and still believe he'll shut everyone up if he gets the chance. :shh:
Would be happy to see Kent being sold, I think we could find someone better for the money we'd get.
Last time we tried to replace Kent we got Ojo, Jones, Stewart, Barker, Hastie and then had to buy Kent back as well because he was so easily replaced. Just saying

Thought big Katic was fine. Won his headers, used his strength well. He'll be fine for games v Kilmarnock and others when all the opposition do is launch it long.

One of these situations where minds are made up and people aren't really basing it on the game anymore. Almost as if if people think they post the same opinion over and over again, it might make it more likely to happen. One of the most bizarre things about this forum.

It was his man and he didn't track the run, his fault IMO.
That's true.
Lundstram did the same in first half, but we got away with both of these.

Andy Little said that Lundstram always tracked back to be fair last season.
No he didn't.
And was partly... at fault for a good few goals we lost last season.
Hopefully a part of his game which will improve this season.

It's early days, for him, and everybody else.
But the second half gave me cause for optimism.

Night and day compared to last season's Tranmere game.

The players in that game looked like they had never seen a ball in their lives!

If the expectation is that Goldson is to be partnered by Souttar this season, do we see Souttar playing as the left sided CB? It's not really suited to his style from what I've seen. I could, however, see them both playing in a back three, with Goldson as the central CB. Bassey would have been the third of the three, but that will of course now need addressing.

We have quite a few CBs though, the question is whether they will play enough, or are ready. I think Katic is currently 6th choice.

Goldson
Souttar
Helander
King
Sands
Helanders unreliable
Souttar will be first choice when fit but jury’s out whether he can sustain playing 15/20 games in a row. Probably get rotated with another fit CB

Sands shouldn’t play CB in a back 4. King I’d say will be 5th choice and get games across the back 4 as a sub next season with it being 5 subs

Souttar I think. He wasn't pleased with Katic in the aftermath either.
No doubt in my mind Katic stood off way too far he should have been imposing himself on thst forward I guess these things can happen but not good , I thought the covering guys should have kept a level of control though and forced player to shoot near post by being sure of closing down the across goal space .
That’s how systems of defence work and I hope they are considering that as they reflect as well as NK recognising he was way too slack in his attentions and positioning VB .

Thought Tom's commentary was fine today, apart from the usual "going through the gears" line he always uses.
Thought Katic did fine and still believe he'll shut everyone up if he gets the chance. :shh:
Would be happy to see Kent being sold, I think we could find someone better for the money we'd get.
This post started off bad and got worse with each point! Outstanding :))

All about opinions right enough!

Another that needs permanently moved on, never going to reach the required standards to cement a place at Rangers.
Same as that boy McPake and the centre mid that went to Ross county

Never going to make it so why keep them around

Hard to take too much from that. Decent run out. Felt the Blackpool players were guilty of leaving the foot in a bit unnecessarily in a friendly. Was pleased for Borna getting his goal as no doubt folk will be frothing at the mouth to replace him now that Bassey looks like going.

Helanders unreliable
Souttar will be first choice when fit but jury’s out whether he can sustain playing 15/20 games in a row. Probably get rotated with another fit CB

Sands shouldn’t play CB in a back 4. King I’d say will be 5th choice and get games across the back 4 as a sub next season with it being 5 subs
Yep, I don't think Katic is even in the equation.

I don't see how we can move Helander on, but that's the place in the squad I'd like to replace.

That's fucking absurd mate. Kent may not always score goals, but his creative build up game is instrumental.

You think we can sell Bassey and Kent and remain competitive on a European front next season?

Batshit.
He does need to do more though. For starters some of the chances he passed up last season were scandalous, even if he’s not a centre forward. And there are just far too many league games where he doesn’t give us anything. All the ability, but we don’t see it often enough.

McCann and Lowry are both exciting talents, but anyone who knows the game can see how Arfield changed the momentum today. He links play and takes up positions that no one else in blue did today. I am sure both McCann and Lowry will ignore you and be learning from Scottie this season. He isn’t a starter, but he changes how we play. One day the other two might as well, but they are still well behind Arfield.
I don't agree, the play breaks down far too often when the ball gets to Arfield.

That's fucking absurd mate. Kent may not always score goals, but his creative build up game is instrumental.

You think we can sell Bassey and Kent and remain competitive on a European front next season?

Batshit.
If we used the money we get to replace them wisely, yes. Kent's final ball is f8cking dire, he constantly loses possession yet no-one on here ever mentions it.

is that mullet growing on the wrong side

Last time we tried to replace Kent we got Ojo, Jones, Stewart, Barker, Hastie and then had to buy Kent back as well because he was so easily replaced. Just saying
Aye, but if we sold Kent now and used the money to replace him we wouldn't be looking at the likes of Jones, Barker, Hastie etc would we? I like his work rate, but he loses the ball constantly.

He does need to do more though. For starters some of the chances he passed up last season were scandalous, even if he’s not a centre forward. And there are just far too many league games where he doesn’t give us anything. All the ability, but we don’t see it often enough.

I've always said he needs to score more goals, that is the slight downside.

But the directness and skill he has, puts most on the backfoot and lets us create chances etc.

If he regularly scored goals, he'd probably not still be here.

His numbers are terrible. Aye, he can provide some flash and excitement, but then he usually just runs into the next defender. If we sold him for a few million we could surely find someone better with the cash.

We all said the same last pre season about Kelly making the break through but these boys don’t get a chance and then they leave
If they’re good enough, they get a chance

Middleton got the chance in Gerrards first season but ultimately wasn’t good enough

Lowry has got his chance last season under Gio and the signs are good

King got his chance under Gio and much like Lowry, the signs are good

Kelly got limited opportunities but the managers would’ve seen him in training

Aye, but if we sold Kent now and used the money to replace him we wouldn't be looking at the likes of Jones, Barker, Hastie etc would we? I like his work rate, but he loses the ball constantly.
Not if your opinion of him is correct. Who buys players who lose the ball constantly?

Maybe someone who thinks 20 assists last season were a f8cking dire final ball they could live with will take pity on us.

I've always said he needs to score more goals, that is the slight downside.

But the directness and skill he has, puts most on the backfoot and lets us create chances etc.

If he regularly scored goals, he'd probably not still be here.
Its not even just goals, there are too many games where he just creates very little for us. He’ll go on runs of games toiling badly away to sides like Motherwell and Dundee Utd then he’ll play a blinder against quality European opposition, it frustrates the life out of me at times.

Back