Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Exactly the same as Gerarrd then in Gerrard's first 11 months?

Gio though has exceeded Gerarrd's European performance by a massive distance but Gerrard got time and Gio doesn't?
I think in the case of Gio hes had time and while he deserved all the credit for the Europa run, hes fluffed his lines badly this season and the reactions to it dont inspire confidence.

Expanding it to the Old Firm Id suggest the same failing apply to the Parkhead debacles both this and last season. Again, reactions to those losses are very concerning.

He talks about learning but he doesnt seem to have learned a thing.

He effectively talks about the players not being good enough, Im not sure how that is meant to inspire anyone but he is the Manager and its his picks. By extension of that specific point, its a major concern the way he continues to pick players who are nothing but passengers while also playing others out of position. Surely if he listened to his own advice about levels, gulf and such hed know such actions are suicidal.

Yet he perceivers...

Always find it funny when the fans and everyone else can see what the issue is but a manager can´t.

I really want Gio to succeed but looks like it´ll play out how it ended at Feyenoord.

Ross Wilson should go as well. Can´t for the life of me think why we didn´t bring in a creative midfielder.

Always find it funny when the fans and everyone else can see what the issue is but a manager can´t.

I really want Gio to succeed but looks like it´ll play out how it ended at Feyenoord.

Ross Wilson should go as well. Can´t for the life of me think why we didn´t bring in a creative midfielder.
Spot on about Ross Wilson and midfielder

Who could we get to replace Gio ? if he leaves

He effectively talks about the players not being good enough, Im not sure how that is meant to inspire anyone but he is the Manager and its his picks.
You are correct. Looks like players have switch off. They cannot all be off form or past their peak or regressing to normal. Etc. like has been suggested.
He might want to also comment on whether the manager is good enough…

If we are still in a title race come the first week in January then the board need to back him. If we are out of a title race by that time he needs to go.
How can they back him?
Well have less money in January than we had at the end of the summer window.
There is no grand plan in place....we are winging it.

What’s the point in bringing in a manager when Ross Wilson is still lurking in the background?

Gio had us in a Europe final and now has us the Champions League.
Couple of points behind the scum in the league.
Dont quite see this as a disaster.
Just getting to the CL will do for me as for now we cant compete at that level but would like to see a win which we can still get.
Clearly we need to do much better against the scum and start winning these games.
What I dont like is the lack for a right winger which we should have signed.
Tillman is never a winger and should play just behind the striker but I expect he is pissed off at having to go back to defend at right back against Liverpool.
Wright is not a winger either. Fashion also can not play on the right.
Gio should have insisted on getting us a right side attacker and also needs to get us working much harder to close down and also move to space for a pass.
Gio for me is too laid back and that shows in some of our play.
However he has done much for us and deserves the chance to win the SPL which with a fully fit team and a right wing signing in January is very much on.

As a few others have said, quite an exciting market of coaches around Europe at the moment.

Imagine watching a Bielsa Rangers moving the ball slickly at high tempo....

I should have added this at end of original post, don’t get me wrong nothing would please me more for Gio to turn it around and start dominating domestically but I just can’t see it, the past year he’s been in charge has in my eyes seen us going from dominating teams to now panicking about going to Easter road and tynecastle.
So you were wrong to panic about the two venues you mention ..Easter Road would and should have been a victory but for the handling of the game by Collum....Tynecastle spoke for itself as in probably our best performance this season ...

Comparing Gerrard and Gio's first 11 months as a like for like comparison is extremely stupid.

Indeed, which is why I didn't.

My original post was -

"Ok, for arguments sake lets compare the 2 manager's first 'real' 11 months in charge. Gerrard from August 2019 - March 2020 and Gio from November 2021 to now.

Gerrard had 4 transfer windows in this period but would be really unfair to use his first season as he was totally rebuilding a squad so lets take it from August 2019. Gio has had 2 transfer windows but was walking into a settled squad.

From August 2019 - March 2020 we lost to Celtic at home early doors but went on a great run in the league that accumulated in beating Celtic at their midden and we went joint top (3 points behind but had a game in hand). We lost the league cup final to Celtic in December. By March 2020 though we were 13 points behind Celtic (with 2 games in hand). In the previous month we lost to Hearts twice at Tynecastle, one of these defeats putting us out the Scottish Cup, then lost the following week at Ibrox to Hamilton putting us 13 points behind Celtic after drawing level before the winter break.

So March 2020 we had lost the league cup final, were out the Scottish Cup before the games were being played at Hampden and were 13 points behind Celtic with 2 games in hand.

In Gio's first 11 months we surrendered a 6 point lead at the top losing both Home and Away to Celtic in the process, however we won the Scottish Cup, beating Celtic on the way, and also go to the Europa League Final. This season though we, again, lost to Celtic in a manner Rangers shoudln't but currently sit 2 points off the top and have also qualified for the Champions League for the first time in over a decade.

So, my question is. If we were to compare both manager's first 'Proper' 11 months in charge why is there so much vitriol directed towards Gio, why is this narrative being created that Gerrard was better when in reality in their first real 11 months in charge Gio has not only bettered him but by a fair distance?"

The post you quoted was a follow up to this.

Last edited:
Comparing Gerrard and Gio's first 11 months as a like for like comparison is extremely stupid.

It is. But that didn't stop elements of FF calling for Gerrard's departure in March of that debut season. Those numbers increased twelve months later.

It illustrates that some cannot accept any kind of difficulties. Rather than continuity or allowing a manager to build a team, they would prefer a revolving door.

If Gio's achievements thus far do not justify being allowed more time, what does?

It is. But that didn't stop elements of FF calling for Gerrard's departure in March of that debut season. Those numbers increased twelve months later.

It illustrates that some cannot accept any kind of difficulties. Rather than continuity or allowing a manager to build a team, they would prefer a revolving door.

If Gio's achievements thus far do not justify being allowed more time, what does?

Gerrard inherited a basket case. Anyone calling for him to be sacked in the first couple of seasons, when the forward strides we were making were clear to anyone with eyes is a lunatic.

Gio is a totally different story. He inherited the dominant team in Scotland, who just went a season unbeaten and 2 years without losing to Celtic, with a 4 point cushion in the league. He then proceeded to throw the league away and hasn't beaten Celtic in 90 mins in a year.

The Europa League run was incredibble but how long can he live off that? I wanted him gone after the Celtic scudding in February but the Europa Run bought him more time (rightly) but after letting the handbreak off the team after that Celtic defeat inn February to end the season well, he has reverted back to the cautious and turgid style we had when he came in last season.

He has been here a year now and we are going backwards if we are being honest. The stats will look ok, in terms of his win percentage etc but we can all see with our eyes that something isn't quite right with the team. I don't think he's a bad manager by any stretch, I just don't think he suits us and Scottish Football. He's far too cautious.

The fans will accept playing sh*te as long as we are winning but the way we are playing doesn't look sustainable in terms of winning the league.

The Europa League run was incredibble but how long can he live off that? I wanted him gone after the Celtic scudding in February but the Europa Run bought him more time (rightly) but after letting the handbreak off the team after that Celtic defeat inn February to end the season well, he has reverted back to the cautious and turgid style we had when he came in last season.
It's hard to discuss if you were genuinely wanting a manager sacked after 3 months.

Given the EL run ended in May and he followed it up with CL qualification in August, then it's not unreasonable to allow him time to build a team - and hopefully it will soon be without injuries to significant players.

As for "living off the EL" - that's part of an individual's CV. On what basis are you appointing a new manager if you're dismissing past achievements?

Played him wide in Belgium too, which was another disaster.
Played him wide at PSV and it worked, I do agree though he needs to be Central or nothing.
With injuries to Hagi, Lowry and Lawrence it means every home league game against fodder we should be going with Lundstram, Arfield, Tillman AND a forward 3

Beyond infuriating isn't it? Like how can't someone see what thousands of others can?

Is it just pride? To keep doing what he does and hope for the best? Or does he truly believe everything is fine?

Because that would be more worrying.

The board view qualifying for the CL group stages as mission accomplished. He won't be judged on results in said group. And given the 3 teams we are up against it would probably be unfair to do so.

He will be here for the rest of this season at a minimum. We handed them the title last year. If we can't win it again this year then his time should be up.
Do heavy defeats like this not harm our Co efficient, I take it it will have an effect and you'd think the Board would realise this. That mentality just to get there to make up the numbers is just not the Rangers I grew up with when we at least competed with the best,and well. I know money talks but you'd think they'd speculate to accumulate by freshening the squad and at least give us a chance.

It's hard to discuss if you were genuinely wanting a manager sacked after 3 months.

Given the EL run ended in May and he followed it up with CL qualification in August, then it's not unreasonable to allow him time to build a team - and hopefully it will soon be without injuries to significant players.

As for "living off the EL" - that's part of an individual's CV. On what basis are you appointing a new manager if you're dismissing past achievements?

I agree the EL Run bought him time, as I said in my initial post. But the doubts that are now coming to the fore again, were there last season as well but people forgot about it due to the EL Final Run (which is understandable).

Seville is gone now though and our bread and butter is the league. He simply has to win the league this season, no excuses (given what he inherited). The problem is domestically we are terrible to watch in most games and Celtic seem to have his number. He is not going to survive being Celtic's bitch and also serving up boring and turgid football.

I agree the EL Run bought him time, as I said in my initial post. But the doubts that are now coming to the fore again, were there last season as well but people forgot about it due to the EL Final Run (which is understandable).

Seville is gone now though and our bread and butter is the league. He simply has to win the league this season, no excuses (given what he inherited). The problem is domestically we are terrible to watch in most games and Celtic seem to have his number. He is not going to survive being Celtic's bitch and also serving up boring and turgid football.
I suspect even if he fails to win the league this season he has enough in the bank with the board to be given another crack at it next season.

Firstly, the board stuck by Gerrard to give him a third tilt at the title when many of the same posters screaming for Gio to go now were doing exactly the same with Gerrard back then, and secondly what he has actually achieved in the year he’s been in the job - really big achievements that are almost ludicrously dismissed by some on here - will almost certainly have convinced the board he’s worth sticking by.

There will be provisos however. If we went into freefall and / or suffered further humiliations to the Yahoos then the board may be forced to act, but the reality is that those calling for him to go now are not voices that are going to register with the people making the big decisions at the club because they’re not really grounded in the necessary metrics needed to make the board act.

Gerrard inherited a basket case. Anyone calling for him to be sacked in the first couple of seasons, when the forward strides we were making were clear to anyone with eyes is a lunatic.

Gio is a totally different story. He inherited the dominant team in Scotland, who just went a season unbeaten and 2 years without losing to Celtic, with a 4 point cushion in the league. He then proceeded to throw the league away and hasn't beaten Celtic in 90 mins in a year.

He has been here a year now and we are going backwards if we are being honest. The stats will look ok, in terms of his win percentage etc but we can all see with our eyes that something isn't quite right with the team. I don't think he's a bad manager by any stretch, I just don't think he suits us and Scottish Football. He's far too cautious.

The fans will accept playing sh*te as long as we are winning but the way we are playing doesn't look sustainable in terms of winning the league.
He inherited a team that got pumped 3-1 by a shite Hibs team in a semi final who’d played well in a handful of games all season and was heading into the conference league. He didn’t take over at the end of the 55 season.

Do heavy defeats like this not harm our Co efficient, I take it it will have an effect and you'd think the Board would realise this. That mentality just to get there to make up the numbers is just not the Rangers I grew up with when we at least competed with the best,and well. I know money talks but you'd think they'd speculate to accumulate by freshening the squad and at least give us a chance.
We actually competed well against Napoli until the red card.

We are very unlikely to ever be in a position to spend the money that would be needed to compete in the CL, certainly in my lifetime anyway.

He inherited a team that got pumped 3-1 by a shite Hibs team in a semi final who’d played well in a handful of games all season and was heading into the conference league. He didn’t take over at the end of the 55 season.
Yeah, people were questioning Gerrard at points during the start to last season.

Exactly the same as Gerarrd then in Gerrard's first 11 months?

Gio though has exceeded Gerarrd's European performance by a massive distance but Gerrard got time and Gio doesn't?
Gerrards first 11 months were with a significantly weaker squad, it’s not comparing like with like.

Gio failed domestically with the side who served him so well in Europe. If he takes the credit for making the EL final, then he carry’s the can for the 10 point swing in less than 5 months in the league and the poor showings in Europe this season.

We are 2 points behind in the league
By sheer dumb luck. Celtic got cocky changing half a team at St Mirren.

Performances are a good indicator of your ability to pick up results consistently. I’ve never seen a side win a league who don’t perform well.

Yeah it’s not Gio job to entertain, and you can pick up the odd scrappy win here and there, but performances lead to results, they’re not mutually exclusive long term.

Performances are a good indicator of your ability to pick up results consistently. I’ve never seen a side win a league who don’t perform well.

Yeah it’s not Gio job to entertain, and you can pick up the odd scrappy win here and there, but performances lead to results, they’re not mutually exclusive long term.
Don’t think it’s luck that’s given us 19/21 in the non old firm. It could have been 21/21 if it had not been for the cheat Willie collum.

Are we performing really well? Certainly not. Can we play like we have and continue to win 85% of the non old firm games? Probably not.

“Protect the zero.” About sums up Gio’s football philosophy. I think this is what has sucked the life and energy out of the players. It seems we have to have our backs against the wall and really needing a win for him to unleash the fury, everything else is protect the zero boring negative pish.

By sheer dumb luck

Does that mean that septic are lucky that we are not joint top because we got reduced to 9 men vs Hibs.That was lucky for them.

Only because celtic were struggling to win a game early in the season.

We finished the season a far better and consistent side than the Gerrard side of last season.

Let's not rewrite history.
I'd take Gerrard over Gio every day of the week remember we ended up 6 points ahead and blew it Gerrard owned them they own us since he left

Played him wide at PSV and it worked, I do agree though he needs to be Central or nothing.
With injuries to Hagi, Lowry and Lawrence it means every home league game against fodder we should be going with Lundstram, Arfield, Tillman AND a forward 3
It was Lawrence that played the wide role against psv away. Tillman was behind colak as a no10.

I’d tend to say you can’t judge a manager with anything less than a full season (as opposed to a calendar year). A season is a marathon, not a sprint and being Rangers we compete on 4 fronts over the course of that season. There will be 2 or 3 transfer windows in there and cup finals. The measure of success is of course the silverware we collect.
Gio will of course bear the brunt of failure but I’m not 100% convinced he’s to blame. Of course poor tactics and that in a match are his fault and he should be held to account for that.
Here’s the but, I don’t think Pep or anyother manager would do much better with the current squad results wise. I’m sure performances would be better.
In my opinion, Ross Wilson isn’t facing the tough questions IMO. Of course he gets stuck in here but I’ve yet to see him being questioned in the media. I think the lack of Dutch flair is down to him and not the 3 Dutch chaps. Previous managers like, Smith, Advocaat and Eck identified the players they wanted and needed. They then made a case for them to Murray and he’d then authorise the signing or veto it. Since Wilson has arrived I’m not so sure SG and Gio have had as much say in players as their predecessors.
We’re 2 points down to a poor decision by a ref. We’re a CL team but in all honesty we’re a long way from being a side that compete at that level. So losing to a team who has guys on £100k+ per week is not too upsetting nor is it a shock.
If we have poor cup runs and further behind in the league he will be punted at the end of the season. It would take a cataclysmic capitulation to see Gio gone before then.
I agree, not for one minute am I happy with the performances and GVB’s tactics but I don’t see him getting the sack anytime soon.

It was still an utter muck performance against a muck team which he never learned from. The two in midfield drastically failed against them so why did he expect it to work against Liverpool?

As I've said before, the fans played a bigger role than anything in getting us through those ties. Not saying he shouldn't get credit for it, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that our performances at home are a different level compared to away.
Agree apart from Dortmund away game where we were fantastic
Have never jumped on the Gio bandwagon and wanted Knutson of Bodo Glint.
Just watching them against Arsenal and they are giving Arsenal a decent game, certainly more so than we did against Liverpool.
Certainly better to watch than Gio’s team,

Back