Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched him against two europa league teams this season and he was the best player on the park in 3 of the 4 games. He was also excellent against us at Ibrox in the cup last season.
But only Preston came in for him. None of those EL teams did

So looks like we're done for the window....no surprise that defeat to Malmö shagged any plans we had. Hopefully squad is enough to retain title

The prices we are holding out for are therfore unrealistic. For some players, their 'values' are decreasing. See Borna imo.

No-one seems to want to sell any of our big players and back slaps all round at the end of every window. Until we take the plunge and make profit, financially we are not in a strong position.

Our "strategy" seems somewhat weak and could cost us.

How do you know what we're holding out for? We haven't had any offers bar for Paterson.

Sorry I never meant you personally more about the board itself and our budgeting. They’ve said in the past they had to front load investment to get us at a competitive stage but where do we progress from there?

The European runs the last few years have helped the board massively in getting income into the club but we’re still running at a loss.

The way I see it is unless we achieve Champions League or sell of a star player for under our current value then no real investment into future squads will happen. The problem is if we begin to accept no new players and things become stale on the pitch. I think we can both agree we’ve already seen evidence of fans frustrations at players this season who they adored last.
Yeah, I wouldn’t argue with that.

Maybe with automatic CL likely to be given to the league winners, this is the last hurrah and we sell an asset next summer which allows us to strengthen, whilst having the CL money to balance the books.

I don’t know :))

You need offers to sell, you also need players wanting to leave, we've had no acceptable offers and none of our sellable assets are actively wanting to leave, like they had with Edouard, Christie and Ajer.

So we either keep our good players or howk them about clubs and risk pissing off a very tight knit squad.
It is a difficult balancing act and I am not saying it is easy. But as time drags by window after window, certain player values can actually depreciate.

For me, there is something not right about us being unable to deal properly in the market when it comes to players moving on for good money.

I actually wanted us to cash in this summer. The lack of liquidity in our transfer pot and the fact that we need an additional £14m this season - and CL exit - was the time to do it.

Ross Wilson can talk about the "model" as much as he wants, but as far as I can see we don't actually have one. Our "strategy" seems flawed to say the least.

When does the "model" kick in??

There has to come a point that we have to cash in on one of our valuable assets. We've been talking about this "model" for a good few years now. Still not happening.

Holding on to them at the end of every window is all fair and well, but it means we are not able to go out and spend.

We need to be more liquid with our transfer budget and also help with our finances /costs.

We have to accept that we need to sell player and actually take the big profit we are always on about - before it's too late for some.

You mean "the model" Celtic use? 5 years ago they went a league campaign undefeated and played in Europe. Every year since, theyve sold their best players, spent money and never replaced them. Now theyve got a no mark Greek in charge and couldn't beat a covid ravaged Rangers, without our manager in the dugout.

Folk really need to be careful what they wish for, when wanting us to sell our best players. You miss on far more transfers than you hit on and good players are extremely hard to replace in Scotland, given obvious budget constraints.

Whilst I agree and I wanted some genuine quality brought in we have 8 options for three places so we won't get caught short this season.

It's been a missed opportunity to seriously strengthen though that much is clear.

Is that “depth” or “strength & depth”

I know dozens of players in the juniors who’d walk over broken glass to play in our midfield. Beefing up those numbers doesn’t necessarily put us in a good position.

IMO we have the following candidates for midfield:

First:

Davis
Kamara
Aribo

Imtermediate:

Lundstram
Arfield
Hagi???

unknown:

Jack
Kelly

That’s not great in all honesty, when you consider age and injury history of the listed players. Plus two of those listed (Aribo and Hagi) could be “argued” that they are out of position in the middle of the park.

I think we're all slightly disappointed that we didn't get any last minute signings in, but my God I honestly can't believe the weirdos who seem genuinely absolutely gutted that we haven't sold any of our top stars!

You just know that they would be the same ones moaning like fùck at the board and greeting their eyes out if any big names left because we wouldn't have been able to replace them in time.

#DramaQueeenLoyal

If McCann is off to Preston - Preston FFS - for just £1m then you have to assume the football world doesn’t rate him as highly as his FF fan club.

He's gone from St Johnstone earning pennies to a midtable Championship club where he will have a huge wage increase. It's a very good move for McCann.

Disappointed we never brought in a replacement for itten but hopefully Alfie and roofe stay injury free. Bacuna under Gerrard could be a decent buy! I live in Huddersfield now and he has serious talent but had a bad attitude at town,if stevie g can get the best out a him he could be very decent, he can strike a baw and loves a run at players

The prices we are holding out for are therfore unrealistic. For some players, their 'values' are decreasing. See Borna imo.

No-one seems to want to sell any of our big players and back slaps all round at the end of every window. Until we take the plunge and make profit, financially we are not in a strong position.

Our "strategy" seems somewhat weak and could cost us.
‘See Borna’ what?

Not having a go but must have missed something.

I wasn’t suggesting we budget for the CL mate, was merely suggesting that’s how we rid the deficit - nor am I saying the fans haven’t put their all into the club

Our last two European campaigns have been our best since 2010/2011, where we got to the last 16 as well - I’m not going to pretend to be a financial wizard and go through the accounts.

We have had some bids for our players, Morelos, Patterson and Kent are the ones that spring to mind but we haven’t had our valuation met for any of them.

Thankfully it’s a problem I don’t have to deal with :))
The sort of clubs that are going to go for our players are the sort of clubs that have taken heavy financial hit with Covid imo. No Covid we h make that 15/20 million sale this summer or last winter imo.

Celtic have had a catastrophic window. The lack quality and options they have in key positions is nothing short of staggering. They are relying on a group of young, international signings with no experience of British football to grind out wins at tough grounds like Tannadice, Tynecastle etc. They need a miracle.

I feel absolutely fine with our window in that context.

They are weaker than they were on Sunday, which is pretty bizarre, and they're probably weaker than they were last season overall despite spending a right few bob, again

It’s the continuity I’m concerned about in the middle.

arfield and Davis getting on
Jack, will he get fully fit
Kamara will move on

that’s all fine. In isolation. But it may all happen within 12 months. I’d love us to have a 12 month transition for new players coming in before old moving in.

maybe (probably) pie in the sky
We probably never had the money to do it, unfortunately. Rightly or wrongly, I think inside the club next summer is penned in as the summer of the rebuild. Win the league and get CL money and we rebuild next summer

He's gone from St Johnstone earning pennies to a midtable Championship club where he will have a huge wage increase. It's a very good move for McCann.

Due to clowns like Doncaster et al this is the case for most SPFL players.
Stuff like this should prompt clubs to want change...

Sorry, I'm just not having it that Lundstram is worth £XX million. He let his contract run down, Sheffield Utd tried to punt him and there were was no interest. Sheffield Utd then offered him a contract which he rejected in the hope of getting a big deal as a free agent.

If he was worth decent money, one of the supposed many EPL teams that were interested in him would have signed him on a pre-contract nevermind paid relative pocket money on him. West Ham had a turnover of something like £140M last year, Everton was £185M. There is no way that if he was worth anything like the figures banded on here that none of these teams would have taken a punt on him. Fact of the matter is though that nobody valued him, hence why he never received an offer higher than what we gave him.

Make of that what you will.

As others have said, he did have offers to stay in England. Crystal Palace were widely reportedly to be very interested.

The Rangers link was there for the best part of a year before he arrived. He's admitted he grew up a massive Liverpool fan so maybe, just maybe, he's the odd exception in football and wanted to play at a huge club for one of his heroes, win titles and play in Europe.

But by the sounds of it, you already don't like him and decided ages ago he was shite, so you're going to believe what you want to believe aren't you.

They now have a quality strike force, a basic midfield and a bomb scare of a defence. I think we have a better more balanced side. Memories of the 90’s for me.
Think quality is pushing it. They have lost their top scorer and Kyogo has basically just replaced Elynoussi.

They failed to score and created very little against our 3rd choice right back and goalkeeper at the weekend.

I never suggested it wasn’t a good move for him. However, the way he’s been talked about on here you’d have thought it would have been the EPL and La Liga clubs fighting over him in a multi-million pound deal. He’s a decent player. That’s about it.

What price are we holding out for? Or are you just making things up?
The fact that we bring in virtually nothing in transfer fee revenue suggests our strategy needs to be significantly reviewed in that space. It's no way to run a business, considering the financial gaps we continue to have.

Get the key players signed up on long term deals and we will be fine.

However if true about the deals for Itten being 3 million quid then that’s a massive stupid move in every sense, should have went 10 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back