Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Yes. He'd heard about it but still allowed his son to go there. If it was worse he'd have stopped him going.
How much child abuse is too much Mr Dornan? Wheres your line at that you'd have stopped Stephen going there?

You saw it today: It was the 70's, these things happened, don't judge by today's standards, we knew it was happening but not that much, Big Frank, he was just a bit overbearing.

Spiers once lionised Sellik for being indivisible from the RC church and RC culture (along, of course, with the implication that Rangers had no culture, other than hating RCs, coz, hey, he's that kinda guy). The CBC scandal has all of the hallmarks of the RC culture that has tolerated at best, and financed and facilitated at worst, a tsunami of child molestation and abuse. Much of the community, from parents to legends to management to directors to players to priests looked the other way. It was the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, and it was never just 'something that happened'.

We always said 'you can't shame the shameless', and we are just beginning to find out how true that is.

I almost pity them.

It is possible they will settle before it sees the inside of a courtroom. (with a non-disclosure clause included) That’s why I think a push for a full and independent investigation is important. The truth about this whole situation needs to be aired in public, not only to get justice for the victims, but to establish why it went on for so long, why people who knew didn’t do more to put an end to it, and perhaps most importantly, put measures in place to prevent it happening again.
I dont see any of the victims signing NDA's for them. Going by the narrative on here and from the lawyers now in court with sellick we are far beyond hiding the facts. The time for that has come and gone for them. The victims want the truth in the public eye and answers as to why it was allowed to happen and who has stopped it from happening.
Interesting times ahead for timmy

Who is this person interviewing?

She did her best to stick to her Hollicom script. Even the opening premise........

In that short clip, you have the presenter trying to use the rule of 3 (saying a lie 3 times in short space of time, people begin to believe it) and then victim shaming.

Honestly one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.

Even as a skilled lawyer, it sounds like his is utterly taken aback by the line of questioning.
@BN94 someone needs to get in contact with these lawyers and let them know the lay of the land. If they are not prepared for this type of bs they will always be on the back foot. They need to be on the offensive with the scum defenders.

Mad Ronnie is still at it with this bloke. Check out the replies
Some of the replies on that twitter thread are repulsive. It really is sickening that they put some much effort into denial and deflectIon on this issue. (A name tag with a our crest ffs?) The number of morons on that one thread served as a reminder why I don’t bother with social media.

It is possible they will settle before it sees the inside of a courtroom. (with a non-disclosure clause included) That’s why I think a push for a full and independent investigation is important. The truth about this whole situation needs to be aired in public, not only to get justice for the victims, but to establish why it went on for so long, why people who knew didn’t do more to put an end to it, and perhaps most importantly, put measures in place to prevent it happening again.
Kind of up to the victims though. Let's just say I'm glad I'm not in their predicament.

Growing up in the 60s everyone was aware of a Brady and Hindley and their despicable crimes. In fact that may well have contributed to campaigns like ‘don’t talk to strangers’
It used to be dont go away with strange men, that's where them 2 were extremely devious,she always picked up the kids. Back then nobody thought a woman was capable of such things.

It was absolutely shocking the way she kept reinforcing the ‘separate entity’ line. She acted like a defence lawyer. The way she suggested it was all about getting money was equally as shameful. No doubt this will be the Scottish media’s approach going forward. Whatever happened to impartial journalism?

The parting shot by the lawyer is likely the way this is heading. I fully expect the mentally challengeds to make private settlements with non-disclosure to keep this out of court. It’s looking like an independent investigation is going to be the only way to get all this out in the open.
I’m sure their time is up to settle, it’s going the whole way.

Quite right GW.

I don't judge people on their religion but, by %^*&, some of these guys make it so apparent
that they are ingrained in it from childhood.
Wonder how many poor kids have been abused and are now defending this club to the death much like we saw those players defend their abusers?

It kind of makes sense and adds another layer of frustration and sadness to this whole sordid story.

I recall having a heated conversation with one of them a while back about this coming back to bite them and his answer was "Look, it's simple, you lot fiddled the books, we fiddled with weans, we aw need to move on" -...... and that was the last words we had. Calmly put the remains of my pint down and walked away as I knew if I'd stayed I would have got lifted.
You left an unfinished pint? wth??
At least take it with you or throw it in his face!

I dont see any of the victims signing NDA's for them. Going by the narrative on here and from the lawyers now in court with sellick we are far beyond hiding the facts. The time for that has come and gone for them. The victims want the truth in the public eye and answers as to why it was allowed to happen and who has stopped it from happening.
Interesting times ahead for timmy
It was the lawyers last line in the BBC interview that made me think that.

They are 100% complicit in their cover up and I would say that I'd assume the Police were well aware of what was going on at that football club. I'm sure they demoted a high ranking female officer recently for making what they deemed an inappropriate comment regarding the abuse at Celtic.
We need some more on this.
Doesn‘t ring any bells with me.

No matter how serious the charges (and they don't get much worse) I don't have much confidence in this country's judicial system.

So many in positions of authority doing their utmost to defend this horrible club.

The bastards deserve to be shut down and the victims at long last getting proper closure on this.

You saw it today: It was the 70's, these things happened, don't judge by today's standards, we knew it was happening but not that much, Big Frank, he was just a bit overbearing.

Spiers once lionised Sellik for being indivisible from the RC church and RC culture (along, of course, with the implication that Rangers had no culture, other than hating RCs, coz, hey, he's that kinda guy). The CBC scandal has all of the hallmarks of the RC culture that has tolerated at best, and financed and facilitated at worst, a tsunami of child molestation and abuse. Much of the community, from parents to legends to management to directors to players to priests looked the other way. It was the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, and it was never just 'something that happened'.

We always said 'you can't shame the shameless', and we are just beginning to find out how true that is.

I almost pity them.

The Odious Creep couldn't tell enough people that Jock Stein knowing all about Torbett's crimes and not calling the police was all just an " internet slur " started by Rangers fans. When it finally sunk into the Creep that Stein, the Celtc Board and many others at the Piggery knew and done nothing, he proclaimed Stein as a hero for kicking out Torbett from the Piggery, and almost a moral guardian for our times. The strange cognitive dissonance that went on inside the brain of the Creep was staggering, tbh.

Last edited:
The Odious Creep couldn't tell enough people that Jock Stein knowing all about Torbett's crimes and not calling the police was all just an " internet slur " started by Rangers fans. When it finally sunk to the Creep that Stein, the Celtc Board and many others at the Piggery knew and done nothing, he proclaimed Stein as a hero for kicking out Torbett from the Piggery, and almost a moral guardian for our times. The strange cognitive dissonance that went on inside the brain of the Creep was staggering, tbh.
And then swiftly returned his poison towards Rangers supporters for "point scoring".

The Odious Creep couldn't tell enough people that Jock Stein knowing all about Torbett's crimes and not calling the police was all just an " internet slur " started by Rangers fans. When it finally sunk to the Creep that Stein, the Celtc Board and many others at the Piggery knew and done nothing, he proclaimed Stein as a hero for kicking out Torbett from the Piggery, and almost a moral guardian for our times. The strange cognitive dissonance that went on inside the brain of the Creep was staggering, tbh.

I wonder what his thoughts were when Torbett was brought back into the fold despite his past sordid history only for Stein to present him with an award after supposedly kicking him out.

There is no way big Jock would even contemplate lowering himself like this, right ?

McGuire said that only the Celtic senior management are against the victims here. Celtic fans are on the side of the victims and believe they are doing the right thing (paraphrased).

I'm glad he has found them, because I know of only two categories:

Those Celtic fans that constantly harrass and threaten the victims, and

Those Celtic fans that say nothing and don't talk about it.
I will add a third Celtic fans that admit it happened but buy the separate entity line. Nothing to do with CFC.

I wonder what his thoughts were when Torbett was brought back into the fold despite his past sordid history only for Stein to present him with an award after supposedly kicking him out.

There is no way big Jock would even contemplate lowering himself like this, right ?
It was Daly of the BBC who revealed that 'bombshell' photo of Stein presenting Torbett with that award, Daly was stood in the Mitchell Library with a copy of a Celtic View, he had it opened showing the page with the article and photograph which revealed to anyone watching the true seedy character of Jock Stein.
That BBC documentary btw must be the only programme never to be announced by BBC Scotland, it was shown late at night with no pre-announcement of its showing. Tens of thousands if not millions missed it.
Worth adding that Daly has never followed that documentary up with another. Absolute total silence since.

To be fair to him, he's correct on that score, things were different then, we as kids, heard about weirdos and knew not to go with strangers- but the sordid actions of these strangers weren't understood. Nor did we know that some of these victims were having a horrendous time wrestling internally with something they could neither understand nor express or even remember. The internet and time changed that, so that kids now know much more than we did and hopefully have access to proper treatment. The internet has also exposed the vile nature and organization of these beasts

And that's where a group of people come in. They are and were called "adults." For several millenniums, one of their roles is to protect those who are younger and those who are much older, with wise counsel and a strong right hand. And that's why the whole situation is so bad. Not only the perpetrators, but the adults whose role it was to protect vulnerable kids. And as bad, those who cover it up.
Unfortunately the Internet has also made it easier for Paedophiles to groom Kids.

That's not what he hinted at, or what I was trying to express. IMHO Kids, didn't know back then what adults were capable of, and patently were not given the resources to deal with their abuse afterwards. Adults did know. And that's the problem.

When we got the wee bookmarks saying "Never Go with Strangers" we didn't have a list of possible outcomes on the back.
The thing is the coaches were people of trust and not strangers. In fact most child abuse is done through people in a trusted position.

Some of the replies on that twitter thread are repulsive. It really is sickening that they put some much effort into denial and deflectIon on this issue. (A name tag with a our crest ffs?) The number of morons on that one thread served as a reminder why I don’t bother with social media.
I'm very close to killing my account on twitter due to the dregs that spew their filth on there.....ducking sub human the lot of them.....the rc cult is strong in them....and the sad thing is this will continue as long as they are allowed to breed with each other

It was Daly of the BBC who revealed that 'bombshell' photo of Stein presenting Torbett with that award, Daly was stood in the Mitchell Library with a copy of a Celtic View, he had it opened showing the page with the article and photograph which revealed to anyone watching the true seedy character of Jock Stein.
That BBC documentary btw must be the only programme never to be announced by BBC Scotland, it was shown late at night with no pre-announcement of its showing. Tens of thousands if not millions missed it.
Worth adding that Daly has never followed that documentary up with another. Absolute total silence since.

Remember it well.
Daly came back with a sinister hatchet job on us regarding the Neely character based on a small paragraph in the Rangers news probably written by a low level employee.

When you take into account the level of abuse that took place within that club over that period of time it's sickening that all they want is an equaliser regardless how spurious that may be.

Bhxo2KA.png

He talked about that on Radio Scotland about ten years ago - said he was fed up having to list to the sectarian and terrorist stuff he was surrounded with at Celtic Park and had had enough.

Nevin, now a media pundit, told MSPs he had grown up in the east end of Glasgow, where the club is based, and was part of the area’s Irish catholic Diaspora.

“I supported Celtic for most of my life,” he said.

“But one day, I found myself sitting in the stand with my son, who had started to take an interest in football, hearing the song Ooh ah, up the RA.

“I could not accept bringing up my son alongside that, so I was driven away from the club that I loved. I was very disappointed about that.”

Nevin was commentating for the BBC at this year’s cup final between Celtic and Dundee United when he provoked the ire of the club when he hit out at a section of their fans over their chants.

He told MSPs: “The song went something like, ‘As a young man, I’m going to join the IRA – provisional wing’.

“It offended me and I do not want to hear it at a football ground.

“I was shocked and surprised that Celtic Football Club and a great number of fans complained to the BBC, because I expect to hear them say that they do not want to hear that sort of song at their ground.”

According to the BBC article, they’ve been in negotiations for a year. It would appear they’ve now chosen to roll the dice in court.
Like the poster you replied to, I’m astonished they’ve elected not to settle.

According to the BBC article, they’ve been in negotiations for a year. It would appear they’ve now chosen to roll the dice in court.
Like the poster you replied to, I’m astonished they’ve elected not to settle.
Might be that due to the amount of claimants they have maybe said fu(k it we will try to clear the ****** name and hopefully get this swept back under the rug again

Celtic FC face legal action over historical sex abuse at boys’ club

Celtic FC insists its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation
PA
Marc Horne
Thursday June 25 2020, 12.00pm BST, The Times

Legal action has been launched against Celtic FC in connection with “insidious” sexual abuse at its feeder club.

Thompsons Solicitors has lodged official papers on behalf of one survivor who is seeking damages from the Parkhead club.

The firm, which represents more than 20 individuals who claim they were molested at Celtic Boys’ Club over three decades, claims it represents the largest child abuse scandal in British football.

The first test case will now be heard at the Court of Session in the coming months.

Four senior figures at the boys’ club have been convicted of molesting dozens of young players.

In February Celtic FC said it was very sorry that the abuse took place, but the club continues to insist its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation, with which it had “historic contacts”.

The Times has published a series of investigations uncovering evidence that appears to directly contradict Celtic FC’s position.
Similarly, the interim report of an independent review into sexual abuse within football, commissioned by the Scottish FA, said it was satisfied that Celtic and its feeder club were “inextricably” linked at the time when the abuse took place.
Thompsons claim both clubs shared a name, crest, personnel, premises and players.
Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, who is representing the survivors, described the legal proceedings as hugely significant.
SPONSORED
The Londoner who found the silver lining in a crisis

Homeschool under the microscope with a cognitive neuroscientist

“One of the world’s largest and celebrated sporting institutions, Celtic FC will now have to reckon in civil court to answer for the decades of the most serious sexual abuse of children committed by their staff and close affiliates,” he said.
“These young lads and their families put their complete trust in Celtic and their feeder organisation; Celtic Boys’ Club.
“That trust was betrayed over four decades by a succession of paedophiles that operated openly within Celtic.”
Mr McGuire added: “We are now in a position where Celtic management will appear in court to argue that these victims are owed nothing by Celtic.
“Shame on them.
“This is the largest and most insidious child abuse scandal in British football.”
The accuser — who can’t be named for legal reasons — is claiming compensation for loss of earnings.
Four men who are associated with the boys’ club or Celtic FC have been convicted of abuse.
Jim Torbett, the founder of Celtic Boys’ Club, is serving six years for the systematic sexual abuse of boys — the second time he has been jailed.
The Times revealed he also ran Celtic FC’s chain of club shops in the early 1990s and organised testimonial events for club legends, including former manager and player Tommy Burns and former assistant manager Sean Fallon.
Two others — a man who cannot be named for legal reasons and Jim McCafferty, a former kitman for Celtic FC’s youth team who also worked for the boys’ club — have also been jailed for the sexual abuse of children.
A fourth, Gerald King, was convicted of child sex offences but avoided jail.
In 2004 John Cullen, who worked as the official photographer for Celtic View, the club’s official magazine, for almost 30 years, admitted taking indecent photographs of boys as young as ten.
Cleaners found a black bag containing bundles of black and white images of naked and semi-naked boys in a store room at Parkhead.
Glasgow sheriff court heard that the cache had been hidden there for almost 20 years before the management was alerted, called in the police and sacked Cullen, who was given three years’ probation.
Last year, Peter Lawwell, the chief executive of Celtic FC, said that the club had been conducting its own investigations into the abuse scandal at the boys’ club, with a “wholly independent and experienced lawyer” leading the work.
No findings of that investigation have yet been made public.
Celtic FC have been contacted for comment.

Back