Flight & Entry Requirements for Spain/Portugal - Masks, Passports, Vaccines, Covid status

Guys...a wee reminder...get yourselves travel/health insurance....Brexit has removed the automatic right to free treatment in EU. Get on comparethemarket.com(for eg)...its less than £5 for a 4 day trip cover. Could save you from bankruptcy if you get hit by a bus or fall off your bar stool !

Guys...a wee reminder...get yourselves travel/health insurance....Brexit has removed the automatic right to free treatment in EU. Get on comparethemarket.com(for eg)...its less than £5 for a 4 day trip cover. Could save you from bankruptcy if you get hit by a bus or fall off your bar stool !
I've got cover but is what you said true? I though the health card was still good for EU countries?

I've got cover but is what you said true? I though the health card was still good for EU countries?
Depends on the country I believe, but loads of folk dont have EHIC cards and you cant apply for new ones. The replacement UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) gives basic cover but too late to apply now,

All the Gov sites recommend separate health cover. For under a fiver its well worth filling your boots.

Reactions: SE5
Booked my son on for pcr test so hopefully a negative result, what exactly do I need to do once I have result?
They will send you a PDF certificate showing the result, you then show this when you check in (in my experience no one really looks at these)

Very wise words and easily forgotten in all the hype and excitement.

Cover for few days in Europe probably won’t be more than £20. Really p*sses me off when you see the stress and heartbreak families go through in the cases where someone hasn’t bothered their a*se to get travel insurance and the crowd funding has to be set up for the 10s of £thousands needed for hospital bills, repatriation, air ambulances etc.

Yes as it stands today
You can’t wear the kind of face mask that has the round plastic valve thing on it in Malaga airport.
Wife and I got pulled up for it last month.
Asked why. Told “is not possible”
Luckily had a couple of the normal blue ones handy, otherwise, who knows.

My UEFA ticket asked for my passport number to allocate for myself and my brother - do we need to take our passports to the game or is the on phone ticket ok?

The Entry Requirements page on gov.uk for Portugal has been updated.

The revision is with reference to 'Clarification about current passport validity'

The main change is that passport control now has e-gates in operation for British (and some other) citizens...

===============================

Passport stamping​

E-gates are in operation at Lisbon, Faro, Porto and Funchal (Madeira) airports for use by British and some other non-EU passport holders. These e-gates are separate to the e-gates for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens. On arrival or departure, check you are eligible to use the e-gates and that you are in the right queue. When using an e-gate, your entry/exit is recorded on the computer system. A border officer may also stamp your passport after you have passed through the e-gate; this is for airport operational reasons.

If you use a manned booth, check that your passport is stamped by the border officer when you enter or exit as a visitor.

Border guards use passport stamps and e-gate records to check you’re complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays in the Schengen area. If relevant entry or exit stamps are not in your passport or visible to a border officer on the computer system, a border officer will presume that you have overstayed your visa-free limit. You can show evidence of when and where you entered or exited the Schengen area, and ask the border officer to add this date and location in your passport. Examples of acceptable evidence include boarding passes and tickets.

===============================

Full page at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal/entry-requirements

The Entry Requirements page on gov.uk for Spain has been updated. It doesn't say what has changed, and I can't see anything major, but for those who want to check Covid requirements, here is the latest advice page.

www.gov.uk

Entry requirements - Spain travel advice

Latest travel advice for Spain, including how to stay safe during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and information on returning to the UK.
www.gov.uk
www.gov.uk

I've got 3 jags so I think that's all I need, I've had covid but it doesn't say that on my covid passport my mates states he's covid recovery should mine be saying covid recovery?

The Entry Requirements page on gov.uk for Spain has been updated. It doesn't say what has changed, and I can't see anything major, but for those who want to check Covid requirements, here is the latest advice page.

www.gov.uk

Entry requirements - Spain travel advice

Latest travel advice for Spain, including how to stay safe during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and information on returning to the UK.
www.gov.uk
www.gov.uk
Possibly the no mask required as of 14th May

Possibly the no mask required as of 14th May
The email update alert said it was for...

Change made:
Clarification about current passport validity (‘Entry requirements’ page)

Time updated:
3:10pm, 12 May 2022
========================

This is the passport validity section, and I'm not sure what the change was. Looks pretty normal requirements to me.

Passport validity​

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

• issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)
You must check your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

Contact the embassy of the country you are visiting if you think that your passport does not meet both these requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.

Can somebody clear this up, copied from the spain travel health guidelines

What is an EU Digital COVID Certificate or EU Equivalent and what is its validity?​

An EU digital COVID certificate (DCC) or EU equivalent is a digital certification issued by the competent authorities of EU countries, and third countries/territories that have joined the DCC system, that a person:
  • has been vaccinated against COVID-19, with a complete schedule or booster dose. In the case of a complete vaccination schedule, you should check the validity periods: this certificate will be valid from 14 days after the administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule and will be valid up to 270 days from the administration of this last dose. The vaccination certificate with complete schedule for children under 18 has no expiry date.
    Thereafter, in order to be valid (people aged 18 and over), the vaccination certificate must reflect the administration of a booster dose. These certificates will be considered valid from the day the booster dose is administered.
  • a diagnostic test (sample collection) has been performed within 72 hours prior to departure for Spain for NAAT (nucleic acid amplification tests, e.g. RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA) / 24 hours for RAT (rapid antigen test), the result of which has been negative.
  • a person is considered to have recovered from COVID-19, after the disease has passed, provided that more than 11 days have elapsed since the first positive NAAT or RAT was performed, and this recovery shall be valid for 180 days thereafter.

I have had two doses of the vaccine, my second dose was approximately 280 days ago

so if I have an RAT rest as opposed to a PCR test, on the same day as flying out to spain it should be fine ?

Asking as I have only seen people talk about PCR tests in this thread.

Can somebody clear this up, copied from the spain travel health guidelines

What is an EU Digital COVID Certificate or EU Equivalent and what is its validity?​

An EU digital COVID certificate (DCC) or EU equivalent is a digital certification issued by the competent authorities of EU countries, and third countries/territories that have joined the DCC system, that a person:
  • has been vaccinated against COVID-19, with a complete schedule or booster dose. In the case of a complete vaccination schedule, you should check the validity periods: this certificate will be valid from 14 days after the administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule and will be valid up to 270 days from the administration of this last dose. The vaccination certificate with complete schedule for children under 18 has no expiry date.
    Thereafter, in order to be valid (people aged 18 and over), the vaccination certificate must reflect the administration of a booster dose. These certificates will be considered valid from the day the booster dose is administered.
  • a diagnostic test (sample collection) has been performed within 72 hours prior to departure for Spain for NAAT (nucleic acid amplification tests, e.g. RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA) / 24 hours for RAT (rapid antigen test), the result of which has been negative.
  • a person is considered to have recovered from COVID-19, after the disease has passed, provided that more than 11 days have elapsed since the first positive NAAT or RAT was performed, and this recovery shall be valid for 180 days thereafter.

I have had two doses of the vaccine, my second dose was approximately 280 days ago

so if I have an RAT rest as opposed to a PCR test, on the same day as flying out to spain it should be fine ?

Asking as I have only seen people talk about PCR tests in this thread.
The worrying bit is what it says on the UK advice (I've not looked in detail at the Spanish version). Does testing not apply if you are a tourist and not travelling under the 'essential' category? If you've the means to get the booster before you fly I'd do it.

Diagnostic tests are only accepted for travellers from the UK if your reason for travel to Spain falls into one of the categories listed as ‘essential’ on the ‘Entry requirements for entry in Spain from third countries’ - section ‘a’ to ‘i’ - on the Spanish Ministry of Health ‘Travel and COVID-19’ page.

Last piece of the travel Jigsaw.

Does anyone know what needs to be shown (if anything) moving between Portugal and Spain.?

We are landing in Lisbon (from Canada) and then onto Seville. Not overly clear, as some of the Spanish guidance seems to be based on flights.

Any help from any fellow North Americans coming through Portugal appreciated.

Last piece of the travel Jigsaw.

Does anyone know what needs to be shown (if anything) moving between Portugal and Spain.?

We are landing in Lisbon (from Canada) and then onto Seville. Not overly clear, as some of the Spanish guidance seems to be based on flights.

Any help from any fellow North Americans coming through Portugal appreciated.
Nothing. No border stops. Just drive through

So, we clear Portugal requirements, it should be all good. I assume? ;)
Yeah mate I was flying into Portugal as im unvaccinated and then getting a bus through but my holiday got cancelled. Onthebeach are lady's front bottoms. So looking at other options

Selected the location in Glasgow, it asks flying from where and only option is uk, I'm starting the journey in Glasgow so that would be fine but my journey is then Dublin to Spain so outwith UK does flying from where need changed anyone did this before?

Bit the bullet and got my booster tonight at a walk in centre, needs must and all that.

Good question though, I am not 100% on that side of things so got a booster to avoid it all

Bit the bullet and got my booster tonight at a walk in centre, needs must and all that.

Good question though, I am not 100% on that side of things so got a booster to avoid it all
Might be wrong but is the booster not got to be 14 days or more before travel? Just watch as you may still need a lateral flow test for entry to Spain / Portugal.

Might be wrong but is the booster not got to be 14 days or more before travel? Just watch as you may still need a lateral flow test for entry to Spain / Portugal.
For entry to Spain I think the booster is fine any time. It’s if it’s your 2nd dose of a 2 dose vaccine that has to be 14 days before. If your 2nd dose was over 270 days ago the booster is required to count as fully vaccinated.

Only the 2nd jab needs to be 14days prior booster is valid from when it was administered

Spain is set to scrap travel restrictions on Sunday
They’ve just extended that to 15th June I’m afraid

Reactions: SE5
Back