Match Thread Hearts v Rangers - 15:00 Sunday - Viaplay Sports

I don't think Hearts are as disjointed as you think. We learned a lot from the previous game of how Hearts would show, what their passing lanes were etc and we cut that off for the majority of the match today. The first half Hearts defence were better than our front line and the game was eachy peachy because of it. Things only opened up in the second half because we were much sharper and faster in midfield to forwards with support. The score line when its 3 goals the winner always looks poor but it took a pen and a special free kick to get that result. The fact we scored one goal from open play shows how difficult a team Hearts are to beat. IMO if you had a better mid to front you'd do a lot more damage in this league.
Maybe tomorrow I’ll be able to have a bit more positivity mate. I’ve had to sit through some absolute horror stuff at Tynecastle this season. Today was just another Hampden humping.

Good luck against the sheep.

I don't think Hearts are as disjointed as you think. We learned a lot from the previous game of how Hearts would show, what their passing lanes were etc and we cut that off for the majority of the match today. The first half Hearts defence were better than our front line and the game was eachy peachy because of it. Things only opened up in the second half because we were much sharper and faster in midfield to forwards with support. The score line when its 3 goals the winner always looks poor but it took a pen and a special free kick to get that result. The fact we scored one goal from open play shows how difficult a team Hearts are to beat. IMO if you had a better mid to front you'd do a lot more damage in this league.
I'd say we have looked faster and using width today. Moreso on the right hand side in the second half.

I actually thought Lammers used his guile today (and yup I might get a doing) but it helped open up the play.Tav;s second

Tav's second was world class.

Last edited:
Cheers mate, aye I know what you’re getting at :D

I had no expectations from today other than that we try to keep a tight ship until about 70 minutes. We didn’t deserve a consolation goal today, and we have shown nothing like the desire to get to the final which Rangers did. Clement and his players showed they wanted it more and you deserved the comfortable win.

Going forward I think our board need to have a think about what the long-term plan is here, because the coaching/management is blatantly subpar. We should at least show we can be competitive in big cup games if we are proclaiming ourselves the ‘third force’. Look at Aberdeen, outplayed all game yesterday and a man sent off and they found a way to win, we would have lost to Hibs yesterday.

Rangers firm favourites in the final and based on the fundamental changes already evident with the new manager I’d back you very strongly, though the sheep will undoubtedly raise their game. Clement is here to win trophies, his reactions to the goals today made that loud and clear.

I don't understand what it is Naismith is trying to achieve with you guys tbh. Presumably make you more aggressive in the press and robust defensively. However, you've gone backwards since Neilson left. There's not really been clear progression forward. You're a worse football side since his departure, perhaps a bit more 'robust' defensively, but that's about it. Creatively, you're too predictable and one dimensional, that's despite having some interesting attacking players.

I thought you'd kick on again this season without the Sun/Thurs run of games wearing you down.

I'd say we have looked faster and using width today. Moreso on the right hnad side in the second half.

I actually thought Lammers used his guile today (and yup I might get a doing) but it helped open up the play.

He was quicker at releasing the ball today. Wasn't flawless but was way less ponderous than he usually is.

I'd say we have looked faster and using width today. Moreso on the right hnad side in the second half.

I actually thought Lammers used his guile today (and yup I might get a doing) but it helped open up the play.
I agree with you I don't think Lammers played as bad as many folk seem to think. He wasn't blinding but he wasn't rubbish either. His movement into space got us forward quicker in the second half than the first and mainly down Tav's right channel with Scott Wright ahead of Tav to stretch the play.

A lot of good performances today, only players I wasn't impressed with were Lammers, Cantwell, Dessers and Davies.

The others all played to a high standard both individually and as a team - that's decent going from the early season shambles we have had not long ago.

I don't understand what it is Naismith is trying to achieve with you guys tbh. Presumably make you more aggressive in the press and robust defensively. However, you've gone backwards since Neilson left. There's not really been clear progression forward. You're a worse football side since his departure, perhaps a bit more 'robust' defensively, but that's about it. Creatively, you're too predictable and one dimensional, that's despite having some interesting attacking players.

I thought you'd kick on again this season without the Sun/Thurs run of games wearing you down.
If Hearts didn't have a couple of guys who can take a long throw I'm really not sure what else they have in an attacking sense?

If Hearts didn't have a couple of guys who can take a long throw I'm really not sure what else they have in an attacking sense?

Exactly. They create barely anything unless it's from a set piece. Obviously our perception is warped because they are going to play for those against teams like us.

But they've got no link up play, don't think they carved us open very often over the last two games. Just long throws, corners and free kicks. Weird considering they've got some decent footballers in that squad imo.

The amount of times a potential attack will go out the window because we turn back or can’t see the next pass is infuriating. Motherwell next weekend is a big one for Naismith, we are already a bit off St Mirren and have Aberdeen breathing down our necks.

Surely Tav can take a bit of power off crosses. Everyone he's pinged has almost ended up a throw in on rhe opposite side.

I think if VAR could rescind second yellow cards he would’ve but he cant do that without giving the penalty.
If it wasn't a second yellow it wouldn't have been a pen, ref got it right imo, just it being a second yellow VAR had to get involved.

Problem we have with Cantwell is that the refs have been influenced by the media and comments from pricks like Sutton and feel obliged to yellow card him . Good idea to take him off today, hearts were going to target him
Stewart was absolutely desperate to see him sent off.

The amount of times a potential attack will go out the window because we turn back or can’t see the next pass is infuriating. Motherwell next weekend is a big one for Naismith, we are already a bit off St Mirren and have Aberdeen breathing down our necks.

I get your frustration with that one. Nothing worse than watching a side that's being coached badly. You've got a fairly solid squad there too. Just feel its being wasted.

I hope Naeshame gets the boot, but I'm biased. Think you should be aiming for better. Don't think Robson is up to much and also think thurs/sun schedule will eventually wipe the sheep out. The new Hibs boss looks like he's going to take a while to get his ideas across, if he even can. There's definitely an opening for you guys to get ahead and stay ahead of them.

I get your frustration with that one. Nothing worse than watching a side that's being coached badly. You've got a fairly solid squad there too. Just feel its being wasted.

I hope Naeshame gets the boot, but I'm biased. Think you should be aiming for better. Don't think Robson is up to much and also think thurs/sun schedule will eventually wipe the sheep out. The new Hibs boss looks like he's going to take a while to get his ideas across, if he even can. There's definitely an opening for you guys to get ahead and stay ahead of them.
I think Montgomery seems like a decent guy, he’s definitely improved them since he came in. Aberdeen have a stronger squad but like you say, and I agree, Robson will eventually find himself up the creek without a paddle.

If I had the choice of any manager currently in the league outwith the obvious 2, I’d definitely say Martindale. Honourable mentions for Robinson and McInnes.

Lammers played well, worked hard and got stuck in as well as his creative touches.
Too slow and gave the ball away plenty.
We were far more effective with a half fit Lawrence in that position, and I think Cantwell is much better there as well.

Problem we have with Cantwell is that the refs have been influenced by the media and comments from pricks like Sutton and feel obliged to yellow card him . Good idea to take him off today, hearts were going to target him
Nonsense. Refs don’t sit and nod along in agreement with anyone, let alone decide “oh aye Sutton told me to do it”

Naismith simply isn't a credible manager - Neilson was way better. Hearts should make a change.

IMO McInnes or Callum Davidson would improve them.

Tarts had one move with one from that move. Ibrox last week , kick out long to Sibbick, out jumping yilmaz or gaining a throw in for the long throw.
today, the same idea only with taller Borna.
Sibbick goes off and Shankland goes right and same plan.
Boss obvs saw and changed fullbacks.

Really enjoyed the game this afternoon, thought we played very well right across the whole team.
Such a joy to watch us now with the work rate and energy of all the players working to a very obvious game plan and all knowing they're individual jobs for the team.
The new Gaffer has made such a difference in a short space of time.
Well done Rangers.

Another great game from us today. I thought the likes of Sima, Lundstram and Jack were quietly excellent today. Goldson was very good at the back as well and Butland pulled off two magnificent saves when he had to.

My only frustration today is I wish Borna had more variety in his attacking play. Too many times he only looks for the cross into the box. With Tav on the other side there's much more variety to his play. Speaking of Tav, my MOTM today. Thought he was brilliant and not just in the attacking sense, but solid defensively too.

And Scott Wright gave us a superb 45 minutes. I just wish he had more consistency, but full credit to him today.

PC is driving standards up and demanding more from the players he is so much better than Beale it’s hard to even see it as the same game

I think Montgomery seems like a decent guy, he’s definitely improved them since he came in. Aberdeen have a stronger squad but like you say, and I agree, Robson will eventually find himself up the creek without a paddle.

If I had the choice of any manager currently in the league outwith the obvious 2, I’d definitely say Martindale. Honourable mentions for Robinson and McInnes.
McInnes would definitely steady your side mate, Naismith ran out of ideas as soon as your team went one nil down. A tough one to stomach today for sure.

I agree with you I don't think Lammers played as bad as many folk seem to think. He wasn't blinding but he wasn't rubbish either. His movement into space got us forward quicker in the second half than the first and mainly down Tav's right channel with Scott Wright ahead of Tav to stretch the play.
It may or not be right but Lammers looks a much better player with Danilo in the team

Back