Managerial update

I can see benefits to them both, but I'd love Knutsen. He clearly can work wonders with low budget squads and have them playing brilliant football, what he can do with our squad has the potential to be frightening. In the three years preceding his job, they got relegated, promoted back up then finished 11th. Since then he has got them 2nd, 1st and oncourse for another 1st. Great record in Europe as well and can clearly develop players. It is a risk but what manager isn't.
Agree with your key points on Europe and Developing players and also introducing our own Youth to first team .
So much of our income comes via Europe it is a vital demand for the job , failure there would see them removed more so than ending up 2nd in spl I would think .

We have the squad that should blow all teams away in the league and cups
Thats my thoughts. Its not like were in the dogs, sitting 3rd and need a rebuild. This squad is capable but just haven’t got going this season. We cant do anything till Jan and if needed we can look at selling/switching then but short-term a new manager has loads he can work with.

It's gonna be difficult for any potential new manager, consider we haven't a shilling to spend at the minute.

It's really not.

We're top of the league, favourites to progress into the LC Final and next round of the Europa.

We also have a playing squad with at least 18 full internationalists that is vastly superior, in both depth and quality, to our nearest rivals.

The thing with Lampard, who i'm not keen on, is he would be following the man he's been compared to his entire career.

If Lampard came and didn't win the league would that then answer the question once and for all? Would that feature in his thinking?

I can see benefits to them both, but I'd love Knutsen. He clearly can work wonders with low budget squads and have them playing brilliant football, what he can do with our squad has the potential to be frightening. In the three years preceding his job, they got relegated, promoted back up then finished 11th. Since then he has got them 2nd, 1st and oncourse for another 1st. Great record in Europe as well and can clearly develop players. It is a risk but what manager isn't.
I'd be all for him if Gerrard had left in the summer. But not sure about the timing now. They do play outstanding football.

Actually a rather negative update that all things considered. Not rushing into anything? We’ve got a semi final next Sunday, the new manager has to be in place by Tuesday at the latest or it’s incompetence going into that game.

Just get GVB done, announced and get on with it.
Just your take that’s negative as always.

Mark what do you think of present board they gave loans for equity charging interest on loans which is there right but the big fundamental which they are shocking at is sponsership commercial activities which are really poor we are not getting enough money in from them if we were would not be making big losses every year somebody needs to step up big time just hope they don’t say to gvb you have nothing to spend and we end up with a total diddy

You’re a crank. Our commercial income is as high as it’s been for years. Covid absolutely hammered our income for last season. We were making good progress financially. Nobody has to step up, the squad is very strong, if the manager wants money he’ll have to trade players.

The thing with Lampard, who i'm not keen on, is he would be following the man he's been compared to his entire career.

If Lampard came and didn't win the league would that then answer the question once and for all? Would that feature in his thinking?
Alternatively he could come in and win the treble in the next 8 months.

FWIW I don’t think what you’ve mentioned will even enter his mind.

I'd be all for him if Gerrard had left in the summer. But not sure about the timing now. They do play outstanding football.
I can see why but at the same time, it's not as if he needs to rebuild the squad or overhall tactics majorly. GVB probably is the best option with regards to slotting right in though and not really needing a transition period.

I 100% dont think Lampard would be sitting thinking "what if I dont win the league, people will then think Stevie is the best"

If I were a media spokesman for Rangers FC, and I knew we were at the final signing stage with the preferred candidate, what would I release to the media? Some sort of statement about talking to a short list of candidates, doing due diligence, no definite decision yet… just enough to cover my arse in case the preferred candidate somehow fell through.

(The opposite of the expectation that Celtic created around Howe.)
Yes that’s what it reads like to me.
If GVB accepts terms he will be the new manager.

I found myself sighing when reading this update.

My heart wants Gio announced yesterday.

But my head does realise we shouldn’t rush into anything. I guess I worry Gio would walk away if we delay.

These other candidates may be better whoever they may be. I hope we get this right.

GVB is the outstanding option for me, either him or someone from left field. Definitely not Lampard.

Also think we'll have a decent amount to spend in Jan, SG will come back for 3 players IMO

Mark what do you think of present board they gave loans for equity charging interest on loans which is there right but the big fundamental which they are shocking at is sponsership commercial activities which are really poor we are not getting enough money in from them if we were would not be making big losses every year somebody needs to step up big time just hope they don’t say to gvb you have nothing to spend and we end up with a total diddy
Ill answer for him

You should take a look at the accounts and even a cursory glance at the number of new commercial partners we have on board

You are so far detached from reality its frightening

GVB is the outstanding option for me, either him or someone from left field. Definitely not Lampard.

Also think we'll have a decent amount to spend in Jan, SG will come back for 3 players IMO

I don’t see him coming after anyone in January bar Goldson.

It would be a pre contract, then they’ll pay 2-3m early to help in the relegation battle.

Goldson and Mings at centre half would be interesting.

I doubt it. His thinking would probably Rangers is a great club I’d love that job. I don’t imagine these guys spend too long contemplating failure, it’s a hell of an easier job than when SG took it too.

I 100% dont think Lampard would be sitting thinking "what if I dont win the league, people will then think Stevie is the best"
To be fair, I've always thought lampard was the better player.

Having stewed on it for a while, I'd be happy with either Lampard or Gio.

Gio ticks the box of loving the club and did very well at Feyenoord with limited resources...but the stuff I've read about lack of tactical acumen is a little bit concerning. Though I've also read that his man-management is exceptional, which bodes well considering a lot of our players will need that.

Lampard, on the other hand, got chucked at Chelsea a bit too quickly i think. Derby played really exciting football when he was there. And the championship is a nightmare to get out of because of the play-off system. There's also that thing about him being a MENSA-level genius....not that you'd think that from listening to him talk, mind.

Preference for Gio, but I think Lamps would be a good option as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if John Terry joining twitter this week was because he wants to put his name in the hat as well...

This is great and exciting news ..I honestly thought we would go down the cheap and easy route of getting mcinnes ..depressed me for a couple of days ..but I'm buzzing again ..mon the Bears

Right now, Giovanni is clearly the stand out candidate for me. Close in style to how we currently play, which will help the transition for the first team, but all the way down the club. Strong club links that certainly help ensure that he understand our club and expectations.

Biggest problem is that we are just adding another nightmare of spelling to Goldstone, Lunstrum, Morales, etc

It would be a pre contract, then they’ll pay 2-3m early to help in the relegation battle.

They have money to burn, he knows we're not flush and what the club values our players at. I can see Goldson away definitely but Aribo and Kamara too. (I'd welcome Aribo leaving for a decent fee)

I doubt it. His thinking would probably Rangers is a great club I’d love that job. I don’t imagine these guys spend too long contemplating failure, it’s a hell of an easier job than when SG took it t

You're probably right.

I think my issue with Lampard is anytime I ever watched Derby or Chelsea they were always a bit.....meh. He hasn't really done anything of note managerial career wise to get me excited about the possibility.

GVB brings a new style of football, new thinking, new markets and has one phenomenal achievement on his cv already.

I don’t think it’s necessarily GVB’s to lose, but he is a strong candidate and I’d be happy if he got it.

Glad the club are taking a good look at all the available options.
I would like Gio, Lampard shouldn’t be underestimated as he done extremely well with Chelsea during their transfer embargo. If we have limited funds , his connections in the loan market , and previous experience could be just what is required to guide us to the title.
He promotes young players to take on leadership roles, that’s got to be a plus.We shouldn’t underplay What he can offer as a coach either. Complete winner.

Right now, Giovanni is clearly the stand out candidate for me. Close in style to how we currently play, which will help the transition for the first team, but all the way down the club. Strong club links that certainly help ensure that he understand our club and expectations.

Biggest problem is that we are just adding another nightmare of spelling to Goldstone, Lunstrum, Morales, etc

That’s why we just called him Gio last time, like Miko before him, problem solved.

Lampard might also think I can win the treble with this team and instantly look a better manager.

They have money to burn, he knows we're not flush and what the club values our players at. I can see Goldson away definitely but Aribo and Kamara too. (I'd welcome Aribo leaving for a decent fee)

I think he’ll want some tried and tested EPL level players initially.

Maybe summer gambles, but to stay in the league, he can go get genuine top targets, where money isn’t really an object.

I just hope the players start putting in better performances no matter who the next manager is hopefully this will be the catalyst to us winning the cups and league. Not asking too much but with the players we have we should be playing a lot better.

Right then Gio, how much do you want ? OK nae bother. Who do you want on your coaching team? already picked out ? Aye Fine.. When can you start? Monday ? Aye, why not the morn ?

We wat a picture of you with this Rangers scarf so we can show it on Follow Follow.
One last question Gio, do you think it is appropriate that a Rangers Captain spends his spare time playing COD and posting it on line. ?

You're probably right.

I think my issue with Lampard is anytime I ever watched Derby or Chelsea they were always a bit.....meh. He hasn't really done anything of note managerial career wise to get me excited about the possibility.

GVB brings a new style of football, new thinking, new markets and has one phenomenal achievement on his cv already.

I’d be delighted with either, I’m not sure in the short term we need to reinvent the wheel though, we just need someone getting this group of players back to playing their best.

With so many of the key ones English Lampard could be a great appointment.

I think with GVB puts in his expenses claim after the interview and Wilson see’s it was only a single it might help him make a decision.

Goldson would get torn apart in the prem., Regardless of who is beside him.

I can see why but at the same time, it's not as if he needs to rebuild the squad or overhall tactics majorly. GVB probably is the best option with regards to slotting right in though and not really needing a transition period.
Where I see the challenge for whoever we appoint is What about all the detail on our organisation and coaching tools . I would say Rangers under SG were a highly drilled and disciplined team and the new people will first of all need to decipher and understand those ‘tools’ that the playing squad apply and under what circumstances .
I’m not sure that is at all easy to piece together swiftly without the ex staff being there with you it is effectively a knowledge transfer which will have complicated parts to it .

then they need to foster relations and understanding between themselves and there players and staff .This is all before even having a chance to change much of what He wants to introduce . I do think this is challenging thing to do as we have a heavy fixture program .

I just hope the players start putting in better performances no matter who the next manager is hopefully this will be the catalyst to us winning the cups and league. Not asking too much but with the players we have we should be playing a lot better.
Think it can only be a good thing for player performances, any player loyalties are out the window and every single player will have to impress the new boss to get in his team

So eloquently put. B-D

Actually a rather negative update that all things considered. Not rushing into anything? We’ve got a semi final next Sunday, the new manager has to be in place by Tuesday at the latest or it’s incompetence going into that game.

Just get GVB done, announced and get on with it.
Never as simple as this, what if he is looking for a salary way above what we are willing to pay and x amount of millions to boost the squad which we dont have. He has also been out higher level football for 2 years now. I would rather we interview everyone that's in the running.

Goldson would get torn apart in the prem., Regardless of who is beside him.

No chance.

Ajer
Cooper
Duffy
Hanley
Lascelles

All EPL defenders - all who Goldson could easily compete with.

That’s without me doing any actual research into the Watford, Burnley, Southampton’s etc of this world.

Goldson could play for a 10-20 team in the EPL and not look like a donkey.

Back