Managerial update

If I were a media spokesman for Rangers FC, and I knew we were at the final signing stage with the preferred candidate, what would I release to the media? Some sort of statement about talking to a short list of candidates, doing due diligence, no definite decision yet… just enough to cover my arse in case the preferred candidate somehow fell through.

(The opposite of the expectation that Celtic created around Howe.)

I’m glad McInnes and Gattuso aren’t on the shortlist.

Will most likely be GVB, Knutsen, Frank Lampard and Dean Smith.

My hope is GVB and Knutsen are the two front runners.

I know we’ve all wanked ourselves into a frenzy regarding GVB, but something is pulling me towards Knutsen as my preferred choice.
I can see benefits to them both, but I'd love Knutsen. He clearly can work wonders with low budget squads and have them playing brilliant football, what he can do with our squad has the potential to be frightening. In the three years preceding his job, they got relegated, promoted back up then finished 11th. Since then he has got them 2nd, 1st and oncourse for another 1st. Great record in Europe as well and can clearly develop players. It is a risk but what manager isn't.

I can see benefits to them both, but I'd love Knutsen. He clearly can work wonders with low budget squads and have them playing brilliant football, what he can do with our squad has the potential to be frightening. In the three years preceding his job, they got relegated, promoted back up then finished 11th. Since then he has got them 2nd, 1st and oncourse for another 1st. Great record in Europe as well and can clearly develop players. It is a risk but what manager isn't.
Who is Knutsen manager of?

Genuine question as I’ve probably been a bit too focused on Gio and missed out on this guy

- Rangers have held talks with former player Giovanni van Bronckhorst in London today – with other candidates due to speak to the club this weekend

- Rangers have a shortlist in place as they search for Steven Gerrard’s successor

- I understand former Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes plus ex-Rangers player Rino Gatusso are not options being considered by the club

- Rangers sporting director Ross Wilson is leading the search with the club understood to be focused on getting the right fit for the job and not rushing into a decision
Thanks Mark. Pleased to read all of that.

I think it’s good that we’re having discussions with more than one (GVB) party. Safe to say Gio is everyone’s preference at this stage, but it would be remiss not to hear out a couple of other candidates.

If I were a media spokesman for Rangers FC, and I knew we were at the final signing stage with the preferred candidate, what would I release to the media? Some sort of statement about talking to a short list of candidates, doing due diligence, no definite decision yet… just enough to cover my arse in case the preferred candidate somehow fell through.

Exactly, box ticking excercise is all it is. I firmly believe Gio has the job.

Exactly where I’m at with it. I feel if we want to keep progressing and pushing to the next level I think Knutsen is the better appointment.

He obviously isn’t on the level of Bielsa at Leeds but they took that risk on a manager with no previous British football experience and he’s completely turned them around from where they were.

As many of you will be aware, am fully on board the Gio train.

However. I hope the club get this right, and thoroughly take their time and appoint the right person for the job.

Buzzing for the 5pm announcement of Gio.
5pm? It’s not the MyGers ballot.

There will be £4.5m compo from Gerrard and his team leaving, then the wages drop if we dont replace all 6 memebers of staff he took with him

Id imagine we'll sell Goldson in January if hes not signed yet also
probably sell a star player for 20 million approx in January

I'm now torn between us getting the absolute best candidate we can, whoever that may be, and rooting for Gio because I weighed in very heavily on him at the online bookies last night when I was on the bevvy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sensible opinion \view

Going to go have a look, see what he’s about

The man who masterminded their hammering of Roma
I haven't seen much of Bodo/Glimt but watched the highlights of the 6-1 vs Roma game there. From that brief footage, his team are very good with quick interchanges on the edge of the box, physically combative and thrive on quick counter attacks. The latter of those perhaps an indication he would take time to adapt to managing Rangers.

There will be £4.5m compo from Gerrard and his team leaving, then the wages drop if we dont replace all 6 memebers of staff he took with him

Id imagine we'll sell Goldson in January if hes not signed yet also
We have 7.5 to pay by the end of the season though? I imagine the compo will be going to that.

The 4 bullets in the statement address fans’ talking points:
1. GVB is the front runner.
2. Just in case, there are alternatives.
3. The names (some) fans are worried about won’t happen.
4. Be patient for a couple of days.
It's being done with such professionalism that it's a complete shock.

This is night and day from the last two decades (Walter's return aside) where it's been either glacial or completely chaotic.

I think I’m ok with Gio or Lampard now.

I like Lampard on the British front. I have a nagging doubt on the ability to grind out results with Gio.

Both will be exciting.

Roll on Monday.

They’ll need a week with the team ahead of Hampden.

Bang on the money sir.

Back